Red lipstick

girlstar

I am blonde, blue eyes, NC20, and I have a red lipstick phobia too.
smiles.gif
I just can't get it to look good on me!

maxcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyNicole
So I never thought I was a red lipstick kinda girl, partly because I always consentrate on my eye makeup, so I ususally wear very pale or neutral lip colors. My sister in law was looking at a picture of me wearing red lipstick for one of my proms, and she said it looked great on me so now I am rethinking it. I have some B2M empties, and thought I would red for a change. Now the question is which one. I have blonde hair, blue eyes, NW20 with pink undertones. I don't want an orangy red, and I am not totally opposed to bright red, but I am thinking I might ease into the color with a more suble red (if that is even possible LOL!) What would you recommend for me?

And.... if I am going to have red lips, that mean neutral eyes, so what is your favorite neutral MAC combo? The only neutrals I have are retrospeck and nylon...

I love red lipstick and believe there is one out there for everyone!
Try on Ladybug - it's more sheer than the others... also Redwood is worth a try. If you need to go in baby steps, Venitian lipglass is a good option - you can use it with Brick or Cherry liner for intensity control.
I find Shroom is the best neutral for red lipstick. Hope this helps!

earlyglory

I also have a red lipstick phobia. But nevertheless I always keep on trying them out.
smiles.gif
I'm also NW20 with pink undertones (blue eyes, dark brown hair), and I found out that reds with a bluish undertone look a lot better on me.
Did you ever try "O"? I love this color, although it's not a "true red", but more a bronzed plum red. As it turns out very different on people, maybe you could just give it a try?

My favourite eyeshadow combos for everyday wear are:
Relaxing (unfortunately LE) on lid, Satin Taupe in Crease, Shroom to highlight and Graphic Brown or Macroviolet as a liner.
Shale together with Relaxing and Shroom, Blacktrack or Macroviolet as a liner.
Woodwinked, paired with Grain and Shroom, lined with Handforged Powerpoint.
I like these with my blue eyes and they are very wearable with a brighter lipstick in my opinion.

Have fun trying!
Jeannie

Shawna

I second "O" It looks brown in the tube, but goes on a really pretty red colour that isn't too much for my pale pale skin.

cno64

I LOVE red lipstick(my favorite is "Powerhouse") so perhaps I'm not the one to advise you.
However, I think "New York Apple" looks great on just about anyone!

Katura

I had a phobia and broke it on Friday...I went to Nordies and told the MA "I want a red-red nd I want it to suit me. Please help!" We went through a couple...

And I settled on both of our favorites the new Rockocco l/s with Vanity l/g

Its super red and SUPER DELICIOUS.

sewpunk

I have a really hard time wearing red lips. I have such thin puny lips, red lips always look blah. I can pull of sheer glossy reds, but nothing too matte, otherwise I just look dumpy.

Neutral eye eh? - I would do liner and loads of mascara. Skip the shadow, apply a brow highlight and define your brows pretty throughly as well.

If you really want an eyeshadow shadow, do a very light wash of something almost matching your skin tone over the whole eye/lid and something slightly darker, but only slightly darker the the wash shadow in the crease. I am at a loss for shadow names at the moment....

theleopardcake

Red Lipstick (I know, I know, I'm Late)

Hey everyone! I haven't posted in the longest time, but I really need your help. My school's homecoming is this Friday, and I'm wearing this greenish blue cocktail dress and people have recommended a 50's theme for my outfit. Do you think that I should just be safe and go with pink lips (I have Hug Me and Charm Factor lipsticks, Big Kiss Plushglass, Ciao Manhattan Lipglass, and Wonderstruck Lustreglass) or with the classic red lips? I don't know what shade of red would suit me best (i'm an NC30-35). Can you give me any suggestions? Preferably drugstore brands, but MAC ones will do too.

Here are pictures for reference:

In daylight (with flash):
dsc03460zt1.jpg

(please don't mind the stupid face)

At night (with flash):
img3292nc0.jpg

(with my boyfriend
smiles.gif
)

The dress and "trial" make up can be seen in this thread:
http://specktra.net/showthread.php?t=56544

Also...(sorry for so many questions), I don't really like the eye make up there (i hate woodwinked). Does anyone know what kinds of neutral shadows would look best for completing this look?

The neutrals that i have are (all MAC):
retrospeck, woodwinked, soba, mulch, romp, nylon, honesty, gorgeous gold (?) and sumptuous olive. Thank you all so much!

Nick

Viva Glam I is a really excellent, sophisticated red that I'm sure would look like it was made for you. Check it out. It's nice and matte, which is great for that pin-up red lip, but feel free to add gloss; it looks wonderful either way.

As far as eyes go, you can do pretty much any neutrals you want, but I'd try to keep the shadow really subtle, then add black liquid liner (or Fluidline).

Fairybelle

Viva Glam I l/s with Red Enriched l/l...OR (from the MAC website, Dita's MU for Viva Glam VI): Viva Glam VI l/s, Red Enriched l/l, Viva Glam VI l/g. I bought this look the other day (I have around the same skintone as you and same haircolor) and the glossy red lips are just the right shade of red...not too bright, but glossy and very retro!! Even the MUA at the Saks MAC counter I went to was shocked at how gorgeous the color combo turned out!!
I would try either look out first at MAC...drugstore MU is good, but remember, buying Viva Glam is donating to a fantastic cause as well!
Just remember to fill in lips completely with the Red Enriched creamstick l/l, then top with the l/s then l/g...the perfect red, without going too bright or dark.

mskitchmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
Viva Glam I is a really excellent, sophisticated red that I'm sure would look like it was made for you. Check it out. It's nice and matte, which is great for that pin-up red lip, but feel free to add gloss; it looks wonderful either way.

As far as eyes go, you can do pretty much any neutrals you want, but I'd try to keep the shadow really subtle, then add black liquid liner (or Fluidline).

I agree, it looks really good on almost anyone.

Why don't you try it on at a MAC counter, wearing your dress or something in a similar color?

BlahWah

Dubonnet was my first MAC red and I love it. It doesn't turn orange on me either. I don't have a MAC liner to suggest, but I'm sure the girls there can find you a good one. One MA suggested C-Thru l/g to add some shine, but I like Bronze Sugar to add some warmth, especially when I wear gold on my eyes. HTH!

asnbrb

Hi! Asian NC30 here!

I love Russian Red and Viva Glam I (but more Russian Red than Viva Glam). If you can get your hands on it, Pure Vanity l/g looks awesome with it.

Oh, and I'll probably tried the Red Enriched one Fairybelle told you about. That sounds lovely and it looks hot on Dita.

d_flawless

i love russian red. the only other reds i have are mac red, which is ok, but russian red is sizzling! and i also have fanplastico lacquer, but you probably want a more classic l/s, so RR it is!