Resolution "LOW-BUY" 2015

Maris Crane

y'all, i hauled. but i don't think i did horribly? makeup wise:

Maybelline Fit Me Dewey + Smooth and the Fit Me concealer
Maybelline Color Tattoos in Pink Petunia and Black Orchid (Limited Edition Color Tattoos get me every time!)
and... Lise Watier WOW! mascara. But lo and behold, I pulled it out and... well, out came the wand with no brush. So I'm going to go exchange it in the AM.

And I got a backup of my conditioner, Soap & Glory creamy shower gel, and CeraVe because I've run out. Apart from the mascara disappointment, I think I didn't do too badly.

B

Buffy89

I love them, but I have enough bronzers. I spent my $100 on a bottle of Diesel Loverdose Tattoo cologne and a curling iron for my girls. I've loved that cologne since I got a sample in the fragrance sampler. I ended up using my coupon for a more expensive cologne and decided to get the less expensive one with points. Done. I still have some points left and I'm sure I could be back up to a $60 credit by the time the Guerlain summer collection is out.
I'm using that fragrance (and the original Loverdose), too. It's great, I really like it

Audrey C

Most of what I buy at Shoppers are general products and aren't beauty related. I can easily get to $75 with feminine products, deodorants, razors, the OTC allergy meds most of the house consumes, etc. I find Shoppers everyday prices to be on the high side, but they have good sales. The number of us in the house make buying at that level easy. When we're eventually empty nesters my purchasing will go way down, but when I'm not feeding, housing, educating and entertaining a small army I'll be spending so much less in general that maybe I won't mind actually paying for the odd Guerlain bronzer. In the meantime…bring on the Shoppers points!
th_DANCE.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by Buffy89

I'm using that fragrance (and the original Loverdose), too. It's great, I really like it
It's a really nice scent. I really enjoyed the holiday Shoppers fragrance sampler (conveniently priced at $75 which means $25 in points); I'll definitely get another next Christmas.

SleepingBeauty

Err... Long time no see, ladies. Hope you're doing well! Congrats to anyone who's successful!
Me, on the other hand, well, there's a reason I haven't been around in a loooong time.
thud.gif
I completely fell off the waggon and basically bought everything I was lusting for during the last two months. Not necessarily unnecessary things because I've been loving what I bought so far, so I can't say it was a catastrophe but in February alone I bought 5 new MAC lipsticks. This month hasn't been really better - I bought something from the Cinderella collection, from the permanent range, and from the Toledo collection. I also plan on spending money on the MAC is Beauty collection and get one lipstick from Julia Petit. Also, I still have a 30% off coupon and I'm really tempted by the new Estee Lauder Pure Color Shine Lipsticks. However, I am able to put some money away for other things and that's what's important to me: being able to enjoy makeup but still save some money for the future, holidays or what not.

Sooo... what I came here for is that I've come to the conclusion that as long as I have enough money for other things it's okay for me to spend money on makeup, clothes, and other stuff. I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't have any other expensive hobbies, so I allow myself to go crazy with makeup. Over the last few years I've learned what I can wear and what I like, that's why my purchases usually prove to be good choices which I end up loving. I also do not experiment with drugstore makeup anymore - I just don't buy it and that's it. I know which colours suit me, which finishes I like, which brands are the best for me, etc.

That sounds like I went way too overboard and my collection must be massive but it's actually not. Yesterday evening, while others went partying, I took some time and counted my makeup. I do have 9 blushes, 1 bronzer, 1 highlighter, 13 eyeshadows, 5 eyeshadow palettes, 7 lipliners, 6 lipglosses, and, my weakness, 31 lipsticks. I think that's still okay as long as nothing goes bad. The oldest makeup item I own is the blush Mocha which I bought sometime in 2011 and it's still okay. The oldest lipsticks are from 2013 because, yes, miracles do happen, I regularly use up a lipstick.

Anyway.... that's why I'm leaving this thread. I've reflected my behaviour and although some of you might think that I cannot be serious for me I can say that I'm finally okay with how much I spend and I wish all the best to you ladies and that everyone achieves their own personal goals!
flower.gif

veronikawithak

[@]SleepingBeauty[/@] This is such a personal journey and we all have different ideas about our ideal stash size and buying habits. If you're comfortable with where you are and your life isn't being negatively impacted, I say that's the perfect point to be at! Be proud of your progress and especially be proud of yourself for recognizing that you've reached the end of this journey. I think that's just as important honestly. Taking a project like this to the extreme and denying yourself the enjoyment of something you love unnecessarily isn't healthy either. For me it's all about balance. I'm not quite where I want to be yet but I'm feeling close and I hope I have the wisdom to gracefully let go of the restrictions too when it's time. :) Wishing you all the best as well!

DarylandCarole

y'all, i hauled. but i don't think i did horribly? makeup wise:  Maybelline Fit Me Dewey + Smooth and the Fit Me concealer Maybelline Color Tattoos in Pink Petunia and Black Orchid (Limited Edition Color Tattoos get me every time!) and... Lise Watier WOW! mascara. But lo and behold, I pulled it out and... well, out came the wand with no brush. So I'm going to go exchange it in the AM. And I got a backup of my conditioner, Soap & Glory creamy shower gel, and CeraVe because I've run out. Apart from the mascara disappointment, I think I didn't do too badly. 
It doesn't sound like you did too badly. Maybelline isn't expensive, and everything else sounds like essentials to me.

DarylandCarole

Err... Long time no see, ladies. Hope you're doing well! Congrats to anyone who's successful! Me, on the other hand, well, there's a reason I haven't been around in a loooong time. :thud: I completely fell off the waggon and basically bought everything I was lusting for during the last two months. Not necessarily unnecessary things because I've been loving what I bought so far, so I can't say it was a catastrophe but in February alone I bought 5 new MAC lipsticks. This month hasn't been really better - I bought something from the Cinderella collection, from the permanent range, and from the Toledo collection. I also plan on spending money on the MAC is Beauty collection and get one lipstick from Julia Petit. Also, I still have a 30% off coupon and I'm really tempted by the new Estee Lauder Pure Color Shine Lipsticks. However, I am able to put some money away for other things and that's what's important to me: being able to enjoy makeup but still save some money for the future, holidays or what not. Sooo... what I came here for is that I've come to the conclusion that as long as I have enough money for other things it's okay for me to spend money on makeup, clothes, and other stuff. I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't have any other expensive hobbies, so I allow myself to go crazy with makeup. Over the last few years I've learned what I can wear and what I like, that's why my purchases usually prove to be good choices which I end up loving. I also do not experiment with drugstore makeup anymore - I just don't buy it and that's it. I know which colours suit me, which finishes I like, which brands are the best for me, etc. That sounds like I went way too overboard and my collection must be massive but it's actually not. Yesterday evening, while others went partying, I took some time and counted my makeup. I do have 9 blushes, 1 bronzer, 1 highlighter, 13 eyeshadows, 5 eyeshadow palettes, 7 lipliners, 6 lipglosses, and, my weakness, 31 lipsticks. I think that's still okay as long as nothing goes bad. The oldest makeup item I own is the blush Mocha which I bought sometime in 2011 and it's still okay. The oldest lipsticks are from 2013 because, yes, miracles do happen, I regularly use up a lipstick. Anyway.... that's why I'm leaving this thread. I've reflected my behaviour and although some of you might think that I cannot be serious for me I can say that I'm finally okay with how much I spend and I wish all the best to you ladies and that everyone achieves their own personal goals! :flower:  
It makes sense to me. Your stash is a reasonable size, much smaller than mine. It sounds like you've done what you wanted to do, which is the point of this thread. I think I still have steps to take, which is why I stick around. You sound like you're doing very well! Congrats!

Glitteryvegas

HI Ladies!

It's almost the end of March and I can say proudly that I haven't bought any makeup or 'fun' items this year. This includes books and clothing, although hubs did buy me a pair of boots for Xmas (but we actually bought them this year, as the ones that he bought me at Xmas had to be returned). We're having them tailored to my calf because I have pretty thin legs but wide feet and muscular calves, so I have to have the 'wide' calf boots taken in lol. Anyway, I'm slowly learning that it's better to have things tailored to your body than to buy a bunch of shit that you don't need and wear it half-assed. if you get my drift lol!

I feel like I'm getting into a sad slump in general. I haven't been working on my weight loss due to a cold I had a few weeks ago (Haven't really gone back to the gym properly), I've been eating whatever as we are not going to be eating out any more for the rest of the year after the end of this month and I'm trying to cram everything in...I'm very lethargic and just like BLAHHHH about things. I've been culling makeup and I have a bunch that I'm ready to part with, but again it's like BRAND NEW shit I've used like twice and it's just not working for me. Like I could keep it and use it in a few YEARS but some of it - the colours just aren't working....too 'bruisy' with the face products, etc. I'm so annoyed about it. It's pointless to get annoyed, but here I am. Like I have basically a BN Scene to be Seen Skinfinish...and it's too dark for my skin tone, which I knew when I bought it. I think I just need to push past the apathy and ditch them. Like depot for the B2M and give them away. Because having all of these things sitting here is driving me crazy.

I have things all around me right now...books, makeup, etc. as I'm trying to purge like crazy. It's ironic actually - I was going through books tonight on so many topics that I'm interested in...but I haven't read the books yet. And I'm like "Buying the things about the topic is actually interfering with my ability to learn about the topic". Oh the irony!! The time I spend working to buy the books, then cleaning around the books, then eventually getting rid of the books...this is time I could've spent actually learning about the topic through the library or online or through documentaries or whatever. Or experiences related to the topic.

I feel like I've wasted years and years of my life doing the same things over and over (Buying and buying then having to ditch things) and not learning the lessons. The lessons are finally starting to sink in, but I feel so negative about the past. I'm finding it hard to push past the negative thoughts and realize that we all get trapped in similar patterns but the importance is to break free from them. And once you do, to NEVER LOOK BACK and repeat those negative patterns. I want the process to speed up, but I told my husband that I need to take my time to really reflect and learn my lessons so that I don't repeat them. If I rush through the decluttering, etc, etc. I'm doomed to repeat it because I haven't absorbed the lesson. Does that make sense?

I wish this was a private group lol. Oh well, here I am venting to you gals online. I hope that's okay! I really want to thank all of you for your continued support as we go through this learning process together. It means a lot even though I don't know you IRL!!!

PS - OMG @veronikawithak. I finally watched Pinksofoxy's videos. I FREAKING LOVE HER. I LOVE HER. She's amazing and so inspirational. I watched videos for like 2 days straight lol. My husband was like
clapping.gif
haha I showed him the videos and we were so impressed.

DarylandCarole

Have been for away too long I missed everyone! But I actually have done pretty well. Had a gap in between matte lip and Cindy n Bao where I bought nothing. MiB is pulling me back in so I'm trying to be really choosey but it's hard. Think after MiB and sephoras chic week I'll slow down again. Nice to see everyone again :bigheart:
Nice to see you in here. I hope that you're feeling better. I've been meaning to post how I've been doing in here, too. I've been doing medium. I'd say. I've still bought some things, but not as much as I used to. I bought several things from the Matte lip and all 3 lippies from Nasty Gal, but not much from the holiday collection. I got just a few things from Toledo, and they were exactly what I'd planned to get so I felt good about that. (I had to get the green mascara and eye liner) But then I did buy a lot from Cinderella and Bao Bao Wan. In my defense, I have never bought a beauty powder, and I don't have any highlight powders unless you count the mineralized skin finishes (do they count?) so I really wanted to try both Cinderella powders, and the Bao Bao Wan one was so beautiful that I really wanted it, too. I didn't think the Cinder Lippie would be anything great, but I wanted 1 just because it was Cinderella. I got the glass slipper gloss, too, just because it's so pretty. But I have plenty of pretty glosses, so I feel a bit guilty about that. I lucked out on that collection. I was going to bed and decided to leave my tablet on the MAC page for when I woke up. As soon as I opened the page I saw it was finally up for sale. Then BBW was a nightmare of a launch. All the craziness about people buying over the phone and through the app...I wanted to pay with PayPal and Nordie's site wasn't giving me the option. I think that gets you so worked up that by the time you are able to get things to work you want to hurry up and buy everything. I did get what I had on my list, the beauty powder and Forbidden Sunrise lippie. But then when I saw that MAC had also released it that day, unexpectedly, I caved and bought the e/s palette and the other 2 lippies. That was my bad. So... Now that I've tried beauty powders, I'm not so impressed with them so far. I don't see them. What exactly should they be doing?

mel33t

Nice to see you in here. I hope that you're feeling better. I've been meaning to post how I've been doing in here, too. I've been doing medium. I'd say. I've still bought some things, but not as much as I used to. I bought several things from the Matte lip and all 3 lippies from Nasty Gal, but not much from the holiday collection. I got just a few things from Toledo, and they were exactly what I'd planned to get so I felt good about that. (I had to get the green mascara and eye liner) But then I did buy a lot from Cinderella and Bao Bao Wan. In my defense, I have never bought a beauty powder, and I don't have any highlight powders unless you count the mineralized skin finishes (do they count?) so I really wanted to try both Cinderella powders, and the Bao Bao Wan one was so beautiful that I really wanted it, too. I didn't think the Cinder Lippie would be anything great, but I wanted 1 just because it was Cinderella. I got the glass slipper gloss, too, just because it's so pretty. But I have plenty of pretty glosses, so I feel a bit guilty about that. I lucked out on that collection. I was going to bed and decided to leave my tablet on the MAC page for when I woke up. As soon as I opened the page I saw it was finally up for sale. Then BBW was a nightmare of a launch. All the craziness about people buying over the phone and through the app...I wanted to pay with PayPal and Nordie's site wasn't giving me the option. I think that gets you so worked up that by the time you are able to get things to work you want to hurry up and buy everything. I did get what I had on my list, the beauty powder and Forbidden Sunrise lippie. But then when I saw that MAC had also released it that day, unexpectedly, I caved and bought the e/s palette and the other 2 lippies. That was my bad. So... Now that I've tried beauty powders, I'm not so impressed with them so far. I don't see them. What exactly should they be doing?
The MAC launches give me a headache. Its too hyped up and doesn't give you a chance to really think about your purchase. I purchased the beauty powder from BBW and I think it works best as a cheek highlight. I've also used it as an eye shadow and I really liked how it turned out. HTH! :heart: I feel like I'm doing better than last year with shopping and my collection. I'm really thinking purchases through and focusing more on taking care of my skin rather than buying twenty different contour palettes. I am going to IMATS in a few weeks and I'm making a list of things to look at. I don't want to go crazy there and I really want to get some of the education that's offered because those people are incredibly talented.

sweeTnChic

I put myself on a low-buy last year and have been fairly successful. After my last relationship ended, I found myself spending more than budgeted on MAC and wanted to start saving. That, coupled with a demanding new job, has kept me from overspending.

charlotte366

okay, I haven't been posting that regularly recently as I have been doing better, however I decided to do an inventory yesterday as its a year since I did my major inventory in 2014. I am quite suprised! There is definately still work to do but it is definately a step in the right direction: ORIGINAL AS AT 01/03/2014: Primers 13 Foundations 23 Concealer 15 Bronzers 11 Powders 14 Highlighters 7 Setting Spray 2 Blush 57 Mac Shadows 58 Single Shadows 35 Duo/Trio/Quads/Quints 18 Palettes 21 Cream Shadows 37 Brow products 7 Mascaras 14 High end Lipsticks 49 Drugstore Lipsticks 41 Lip Gloss 30 Lip Crayons 23 Lip Liner 7 Gel Liner 7 Pencil Liner 55 Liquid Liner 11 Cream Blush 7 Loose Shadows 38 NOW AS AT 22/03/2015 Primers 2 Foundations 8 Concealer 5 Bronzers 1 Powders 4 Highlighters 1 Setting Spray 0 Blush 42 Mac Shadows 56 Single Shadows 20 Duo/Trio/Quads/Quints 11 Palettes 15 Cream Shadows 15 Brow products 5 Mascaras 13 High end Lipsticks 42 Drugstore Lipsticks 9 Lip Gloss 18 Lip Crayons 13 Lip Liner 9 Gel Liner 2 Pencil Liner 10 Liquid Liner 4 Cream Blush 1 Loose Shadows 5 So what does it actually mean, well I estimated back in March 2014 my ideal collection would be about 130 items, but the stash I had, had 600 items in it, as of yesterday my stash has reduced to 311 items, still too large but much smaller than it was. So where do I go from here? Its clear my journey isn't over yet, however progress has been made but I do think I can't be complacent. I want to re-review my ideal stash as I think my focus has changed to what it was. I will post my new ideal stash in a seperate post along with my new goals. Sorry for long post!

charlotte366

I plan to get my overall stash down to 200 items and want to spend the next 3 months focusing on lipsticks and eyeshadows, I was thinking of doing a 30 day lipsick challenge focusing on my 2 largest lip categories which are red and bright pink lipsticks ? Any suggestions on what to do with the eyeshadows, I already tossed the oldest and worst performing drugstore stuff in the last year.....I am finding it tough to part with the naked palettes even thought I never seem to reach for them anymore ?

Sandalskt

I plan to get my overall stash down to 200 items and want to spend the next 3 months focusing on lipsticks and eyeshadows, I was thinking of doing a 30 day lipsick challenge focusing on my 2 largest lip categories which are red and bright pink lipsticks ? Any suggestions on what to do with the eyeshadows, I already tossed the oldest and worst performing drugstore stuff in the last year.....I am finding it tough to part with the naked palettes even thought I never seem to reach for them anymore ?
That is impressive work you did. You should be proud of yourself. I too seem to have mainly red or bright pink lipsticks. I love them, but had to cut myself off. I am only aloud to buy subtle lip colors for quite a while. If you don't use the naked palettes you could always sell or swap them. I never reach for my naked 2 palette.

DMcG9

Sorry for long post!
Charlotte, some of those reduction numbers are incredible and to reduce your stash by just a touch under half is impressive. Congrats, girl! I know you'll be able to cull the rest of your items when you turn your focus to them. Keep up the good work!!!

veronikawithak

Your progress is really impressive! In a year you've cut back by almost half - nearly 300 items!! That is seriously inspirational right there, even if you chose to stop now, so give yourself major credit for that! Sometimes I find it helpful to take a pause and just use what you have for a while. Kind of takes the pressure off! As for going forward, I think the 30 day challenges are a great way to pare down even further. As you wear multiple shades in a row I feel like it can help you really narrow down your favorites. When I decluttered I went in this sequence: expired, poor formulas, shades that were clearly wrong for my skin tone, dupes, shades that were very similar, shades that "needed work" or that just looked slightly off, shades that didn't work well with the rest of my makeup. At this point I was pretty much done.. but my final stage was to just put something on, look in the mirror, and pay attention to my initial reaction. Don't overthink it. In 5 seconds or less, do you love it? As for the Naked palettes.. I feel like they're so hyped that they have this cult status. Forget about the label and the packaging. If it was a drugstore palette, would you still keep it? If not, get rid of it. Give it away, sell it, trash it. Whatever is easiest.. just get it out of your life. I found that once things are gone I rarely think about them again. Keep in mind how many other shadows you have that you love, and how long it takes to use up powder products. If you want a more gradual approach you could try putting items you're still not sure about in a box. Whatever you don't reach for in a month (excluding seasonal items), you can be more confident that you won't miss. Keep up the great work! I bet that by next year you'll be right where you want to be!

B

Buffy89

That's a really great approach! I've kinda experienced this myself at the counter (and I'm proud of myself!) when I was trying on some of the Mac lippies from MIB. I had been intrigued by the swatches, but the color either was something I did like once, but not now (because I broke some habits) or I did like the color indeed, but the formula was unforgiving on chapped lips. So I went home with ZERO lippies, yay! I a still unsure about one of them, but I'll wait some days and then I'll have to see whether it's still available at all.
I did buy both beauty powders though. I know these were superfluous because I do own so many blushes, but I really, really, really liked them from the first preview on. This is a weird "sorry I'm not sorry" moment now...but I got no bad conscience because I definitely did not go crazy like my former self used to. Well I also bought that mint green eyeshadow. I don't own any shadows in that color so I think I'm adding a reasonable item to my stash (in contrast to buying more and more shimmery neutrals while I own Naked 2+3 and several single shadows in that color).
So all in all, I purchased three items (my limit was four). The other Specktrettes from Germany surprisingly told me that the collection releases today while I had scheduled it for April, so there won't be another collection to take a look at next week and there's nothing on my "wish list" for April, so my little haul is okay, I guess.

shellygrrl

Staff member
I plan to get my overall stash down to 200 items and want to spend the next 3 months focusing on lipsticks and eyeshadows, I was thinking of doing a 30 day lipsick challenge focusing on my 2 largest lip categories which are red and bright pink lipsticks ?
First off: Yay you! :cheer: I think a 30-day challenge may help you.
Any suggestions on what to do with the eyeshadows, I already tossed the oldest and worst performing drugstore stuff in the last year.....I am finding it tough to part with the naked palettes even thought I never seem to reach for them anymore ?
You may remember last year that I wore them exclusively for a month (Naked 2 for one month, Naked 1 for one month), and that helped me in that regard. That's something you could do. Wear them, and only them, exclusively for a time. If you fall back in love with one, keep it; if you don't, you can either sell it, give it away, or toss it.