Resolution "LOW-BUY" 2015

awickedshape

Updated my list on page 1 of the thread. Feels very good to be more careful when shopping and have only things I really like and to have the "extra" money as well.
Still haven't thrown out my MAC glosses, though lol

B

Buffy89

Still haven't thrown out my MAC glosses, though lol
you're not alone lol. They are the soft spot in my stash. I prefer lipsticks and some glosses I own are colors that aren't really great for a gloss formula, e.g. brights which I prefer in a Satin or Matte finish. I do like the glosses from the new Mac collection, but then I remember I probably won't use them. Plus, my hair gets caught on my lips all the time, and that's so annoying, lol.

awickedshape

you're not alone lol. They are the soft spot in my stash. I prefer lipsticks and some glosses I own are colors that aren't really great for a gloss formula, e.g. brights which I prefer in a Satin or Matte finish. I do like the glosses from the new Mac collection, but then I remember I probably won't use them. Plus, my hair gets caught on my lips all the time, and that's so annoying, lol.
YES lol

shellygrrl

Staff member
No makeup bought in April. Very likely none will be bought this month, either. FOTD: * Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer * Nars Sheer Glow - Siberia * MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer - NW15 * OCC Skin Conceal - Y0 and Y1 (latter also used as an eyeshadow base) * Rimmel Stay Matte Powder - Transparent * Anastasia Brow Powder Duo - Ash Brown * Maybelline Brow Drama Brow Mascara - Transparent * Nars SPESB * Victoria's Secret eyeshadow - Bunny * MAC Eyeshadows - Copperplate (crease), Shale (lid base), Indian Ink (mixed with Shale, lashlines) * Urban Decay Smoked Palette - Mushroom (patted on lid with finger) * Bare Minerals Flawless Definition Mascara - Black * MAC Blush - Pink Cult * MAC Lipstick - Feed the Senses

Alysse011

So good! I really love this. Beauty is not makeup to me anymore, it's confidence and joy and self-expression. At least, that's the attitude I want to nurture in myself. I also want to focus on letting go of the preoccupation with cosmetics in general. At first it was the obsession about finding the "perfect" everything which resulted in excess - but then it turned into an obsession about reigning in the first obsession. I just want to experience the effortless maintenance stage.
This is exactly me! I wasn't very into makeup, became utterly obsessive about the perfect everything, and then it was just out of control. I'm also looking for that happy middle ground. I do think I'm getting better as I focus on other things (fitness, career, etc). I kind of went off the deep end earlier this year but have since gotten a grip. Life events in general, be they happy or sad, have triggered me (be it to console myself or celebrate with purchases). At this point I do think I have found my favorite products. I also think that all of my favorites are good enough that I shouldn't keep experimenting with other stuff when I probably won't like it as much and it probably won't be a significant difference anyway from what I currently use. Anyway, what you said really resonated!!

Alysse011

Something that is working for me is I that the only money I have in my checking- spending account is money to spend.  e.i. I ask my job to send a certain amount on a different account where all my monthly payment are taking from (car, housing, electricity, saving, etc), on my paycheck I have money going directly to my pension plan, ERSP and some investment so what land on my checking account is  for extras. That way I know the necessities are taking care of.
Everyone has some really great budgeting ideas and tips! I just started a new job (YAY!) and am going to take some of the suggestions given when I set up my budget/direct deposit/etc. @kerry-jane - I love that focus! I have actually already spent my May allotment on the dermatologist and some prescriptions from her. This was my first time to go to a dermatologist and, as silly as it may sound, I was shocked at all the different treatments and potions available! @shelly - good job on not buying any makeup! Was it difficult for you this past month? I also plan to buy no makeup items this month.

shellygrrl

Staff member
@shelly - good job on not buying any makeup! Was it difficult for you this past month?
Nope! Actually, April wasn't a planned "no-buy" month for me; it just happened to turn out that way. May is a planned one, though. But even when it's planned I tend to stick to it. I still wishlist items here and there that I may be interested in, but I also remove things, too, when I lose said interest or decide that it won't work for me.

veronikawithak

This is exactly me! I wasn't very into makeup, became utterly obsessive about the perfect everything, and then it was just out of control. I'm also looking for that happy middle ground. I do think I'm getting better as I focus on other things (fitness, career, etc). I kind of went off the deep end earlier this year but have since gotten a grip. Life events in general, be they happy or sad, have triggered me (be it to console myself or celebrate with purchases). At this point I do think I have found my favorite products. I also think that all of my favorites are good enough that I shouldn't keep experimenting with other stuff when I probably won't like it as much and it probably won't be a significant difference anyway from what I currently use. Anyway, what you said really resonated!!
It's interesting how we go through cycles like that. I've been feeling disappointed in myself about the clothing shopping I've been doing but I realized that most of it is due to the fact that I'm transitioning from student life to professional life and most of my wardrobe was either too casual or too small. I've been fairly limiting with my purchases and have only brought things in that I know will work with the majority of my wardrobe and will be worn often. Sometimes I need to give myself a break, I can be too much of a perfectionist. Also, my makeup shopping habits have been completely overhauled.. like spending a tenth of what I had last year by this point. And I agree with finding and repurchasing favorite products - that made a huge difference for me.

Maris Crane

Unfortunately, I did crack and bought two cheapy Essence lipsticks at Shoppers yesterday while buying my toiletries, but I have hit pan on my second setting powder, and am getting a lot of use out of my KVD Shade & Light palette
eyelove.gif

Cetaphil Daily Lotion & Lancome Le Base Pro in t-zone as a primer
Armani Master Corrector No. 1 under eyes
Maybelline Fit Me Dewy & Smooth
Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage on spots
Rimmel Mineral Bronze #021 Sun Light all over
KVD Shadowplay to bronze a bit more, Subconscious to contour cheeks, & Lucid to set concealer
ELF Studio blush in Tickled Pink
Essence I<3Stage eye base
UD WOS for brow highlight/base, UD Naked to blend out the pink shades
Wet n Wild Poster Child - bright, coral pink Eyelid shadw in socket line
NYX pigment in Sunshine on lid
Neutrogena Shine Control & Hourglass Diffused Light powders to set
INGLOT #77 Gel liner winged
NARS RCC in Chantilly under eyes
Armani Eyes to Kill mascara
Benefit Brow-Zings! in Light
YSL Rouge Volupte Candy, #12

Twinkle_Twinkle

I think the time has come for me to ease on into this thread. Le sigh...

I kind of went ballistic with makeup purchases from March until now. I went from BI to VIBR between March and May
wacko.gif
I think I was compensating for very very minimal purchases for the last 2-3 years (grad school). So it's time to really start my very very low-buy. I don't know where to start with goals. I know there are still two Becca Bech Tint Shimmer Souffle's that I want and if DermStore has another flash sale I might get them, but I'd feel better about myself if I just cut the spending off as of today with no makeup spending for the rest of May or June.

Ideally I want to be on a super low-buy until November for the Sephora Friends & Family Sale (but I also have a wish list of non-Sephora items) where I'll allow myself to binge and between now and then I'll only repurchase staples or pick up a LE item from one of my favorite brands should one be released. But I'm afraid to be that restrictive. I want it to feel like moderation not punishment. And I might treat myself to something for my birthday in August. Le sigh...

Audrey C

I bought four MAC Huggables today as planned. I bought six last year and burned through them; I've already finished four. As I'm aging, I've found that I prefer creamier semi-sheer lipsticks over mattes or satins since they're more flattering. That should see me through to the Sephora sale when I will likely repurchase a couple of the NARS Semi-sheer lipsticks. I easily finish 6-8 lipsticks in a year, so these four are just normal replacements for ones I've finished.

ellemarie

I'm returning a bunch of D&G stuff to Nordstrom. The foundation and concealer didn't wow me, and the nail polish I thought I needed hasn't been touched in the months I've had it. Love their return policy, but will be much pickier in the future because I don't want to abuse it. It'll feel good to get these things off my counter since I don't use them.

kerry-jane88

I'm returning a bunch of D&G stuff to Nordstrom. The foundation and concealer didn't wow me, and the nail polish I thought I needed hasn't been touched in the months I've had it. Love their return policy, but will be much pickier in the future because I don't want to abuse it. It'll feel good to get these things off my counter since I don't use them.
I wish I could return disappointing products here in the UK! D&G makeup is made by proctor and gamble, who do Max Factor, so if ever a D&G product takes your fancy again, chances are that Max Factor or another sister company will have a similar product or colour :)

Twinkle_Twinkle

Today I did not purchase any makeup, and considering my spending habits in these last few months that is a MAJOR success. So I'm just taking it one day at a time and patting myself on the back.

B

Buffy89

Today I did not purchase any makeup, and considering my spending habits in these last few months that is a MAJOR success. So I'm just taking it one day at a time and patting myself on the back.
yay!
cheerleader.gif
you'll reach your goals step by step! It can sometimes be tough, but always remember you're doing it for yourself! And it's getting easier the longer you're trying.

Now it's confessions time for me, I've done some makeup shopping...as I've already reported in the Mac W&D thread, I purchased the Ash Blonde brow fluidline, plus a backup. I'm usually not into backups, especially not for lipsticks and other color cosmetics, because seriously, who needs a backup of a lipstick when there are sooo many other nice colors available and it takes ages to finish a lipstick anyway? But this shade is just perfect for me, just like nothing I've tried before. It matches my natural brow color so well, while other products are too dark or too orange, and this is finally ashier. Plus, there are many brands, like Anastasia, that aren't available here, so finding a good product is even harder. In a nutshell, that's why I bought 2 of them. I use a brow product each time I'm wearing makeup (around 5 days a week at the moment), so it'll get quite a lot of use. To me, this backup is not about "OMGit'sprettyIneedtwoofthem", but about finding something that matches my coloring, so it's ok.

Then, I purchased Siahi fluidline, which had been officially released here at the end of March, but my counter did not get it until now. And I also purchased French Twist lipstick, which I could not get out of my head but I skipped it in the past two months because of my beauty budget. With my new budget, I eventually got these items, but I don't really plan to purchase more fun items this month. I've got my eye on one RCS lipstick, though, but I'll wait and see how much money I'll spend on frivolous things in May. There'll be the annual city festival in my town for almost two weeks, so I'm sure we'll go for some drinks, and, even worse, there's food trucks everywhere, so most of my money will be invested in snacks, I guess.
drools.gif

Twinkle_Twinkle

yay!
cheerleader.gif
you'll reach your goals step by step! It can sometimes be tough, but always remember you're doing it for yourself! And it's getting easier the longer you're trying.
Thank you! I am feeling like I might allow myself a very tiny haul once I complete this last assignment for the semester. It's a pretty big feat but then all of the other makeup I've purchased has been a preemptive celebratory treat and also a motivator so that feels like cheating.

Audrey C

Thank you! I am feeling like I might allow myself a very tiny haul once I complete this last assignment for the semester. It's a pretty big feat but then all of the other makeup I've purchased has been a preemptive celebratory treat and also a motivator so that feels like cheating.
If you've gorged in the last few months, you could consider putting some of the items away and letting yourself have them as a reward when you accomplish something you'd like to recognize. You don't have to buy something else to reward yourself with now and you can enjoy getting to know some of your new items over time.

B

Buffy89

If you've gorged in the last few months, you could consider putting some of the items away and letting yourself have them as a reward when you accomplish something you'd like to recognize. You don't have to buy something else to reward yourself with now and you can enjoy getting to know some of your new items over time.
Agreed! Or maybe you could think of a different type of reward, like going to a certain restaurant you've always wanted to try, get an appointment at a great hairdresser's salon (worth sooo much more than just another couple of lipsticks), or a trip to the beach/mountains/theme park, whatever you like. Use your money for experiences and memories, not for items. Again, this seems to be tough for somebody who's just started their low-buy, but as everything, it's getting easier with time.

Speaking about myself, I did not really get to know all the items I purchased during my splurging time. I used to throw them into my drawers and got new ones right away. Even six months after starting my low buy, I always (re)discover items in my stash that aren't really used. And all in all, buying even more items won't feel better than rediscovering what you already own and enjoying them. Give them the attention they deserve! Now, I either think "oh, that's really nice, why didn't I use this at all?" or "I should have skipped this. Why did I purchase even another similar one?". So I guess one should take their time to think/try before purchasing more.

This week, I wasn't able to use lip products at all due to some nasty cold sore on my lips (I didn't want to mess up the sores and wanted to keep my products "safe"), and I've noticed that it's not that bad to avoid lipstick, which means it won't be too bad if I have a kit of 10 lipsticks instead of 50. A certain new lipstick won't change my overall appearance, nor will it make me more attractive or give me more self esteem. I wore my huge white dab of bright white, toothpaste-y salve (and I mean HUGE, it really caught people's attention and I got some puzzled looks, lol) with pride, and self-acceptance made me feel beautiful although there seemingly was a "flaw" in my face. This story is a bit weird, but I hope one can get the idea behind it: My lipstick (or rather my army of lipsticks) doesn't define who I am.

kerry-jane88

Agreed! Or maybe you could think of a different type of reward, like going to a certain restaurant you've always wanted to try, get an appointment at a great hairdresser's salon (worth sooo much more than just another couple of lipsticks), or a trip to the beach/mountains/theme park, whatever you like. Use your money for experiences and memories, not for items. Again, this seems to be tough for somebody who's just started their low-buy, but as everything, it's getting easier with time. Speaking about myself, I did not really get to know all the items I purchased during my splurging time. I used to throw them into my drawers and got new ones right away. Even six months after starting my low buy, I always (re)discover items in my stash that aren't really used. And all in all, buying even more items won't feel better than rediscovering what you already own and enjoying them. Give them the attention they deserve! Now, I either think "oh, that's really nice, why didn't I use this at all?" or "I should have skipped this. Why did I purchase even another similar one?". So I guess one should take their time to think/try before purchasing more. This week, I wasn't able to use lip products at all due to some nasty cold sore on my lips (I didn't want to mess up the sores and wanted to keep my products "safe"), and I've noticed that it's not that bad to avoid lipstick, which means it won't be too bad if I have a kit of 10 lipsticks instead of 50. A certain new lipstick won't change my overall appearance, nor will it make me more attractive or give me more self esteem. I wore my huge white dab of bright white, toothpaste-y salve (and I mean HUGE, it really caught people's attention and I got some puzzled looks, lol) with pride, and self-acceptance made me feel beautiful although there seemingly was a "flaw" in my face. This story is a bit weird, but I hope one can get the idea behind it: My lipstick (or rather my army of lipsticks) doesn't define who I am.
I love that - you are still you without a lip colour or any other make up! It reminds me of when I was about 21 and up until then I guess I'd got into quite the full faced makeup routine and I didn't feel 'myself' unless I had my black winged eyeliner and I had to get it just even or I'd get frustrated (not a great way to start your day getting pissed at yourself for having things just so is it?) Well I'd had a really bad reaction to some antibiotics that I'd been put on as a precaution, turns out I didn't even need them and they made me super ill. I'd gone down to London for a weekend trip to see the comedian Demitri Martin. Well let me tell you, putting makeup on my face when I was on the train down took me forever because my skin was so painful, half way through the day sightseeing I had to take my eye makeup off and just have my shades on because my eyes wouldn't stop watering. At the hotel before we were going out to see the show, I took my makeup off to reapply freshly - my skin was grey and purple with massive bumps! No matter what I did to try and cover it I just looked weird. I had a massive cry, I felt like crap and didn't want to go out but I knew I couldn't let my boyfriend down as I'd had this trip planned for so long. So I gulped down my pride and went out into the big capital with a bare face, grey skin, lumps and streaming eyes and all! It wasn't nice but from then on I figured that going out with no makeup on could never be that bad, I was still me, I could still walk and talk you know so I shouldn't feel so embarrassed about how I naturally look. I've stopped needing to wear my makeup a certain way since then and I suppose that's how I came to settle on 'the natural look' as after then I spent so many days out and about makeup free I actually learned to not care one way or the other! Rambly story but hopefully all my low buy girlies get the confidence message :)