Resolution "LOW-BUY" 2015

veronikawithak

Enjoying all of the self-love ladies! :) I'm coming to a lot of the same conclusions these days. I haven't been wearing much makeup, just a bit of lipstick, mascara, and maybe some mineral face makeup and eyeshadow for special events.

I'm actually down to one open lipstick now! I've used up or B2M the rest, and now I just have a few still in their boxes. I haven't opened any of them yet because I wanted to explore the feeling of not having to choose a lipstick - spoiler: I loved it! I thought 10 was more my ideal number of lipsticks but at this point I think 5 would be even better.

I still need to focus on developing more constructive hobbies. I've been feeling kind of adrift since school ended. I'm still busy - just with job searching and moving. Hopefully during the summer I can do some self-development!

Twinkle_Twinkle

Small confession. I got some products today but I also returned some stuff so in the end I really only got two long-wear blushes so that I have a few other shades to choose from this summer. I've got a little collection of summer-proof items that I'm going to use the hell out of this summer.

I'm talking significant dips and hitting pans! I'm super excited about the prospect of getting major use out of a group of products rather than having a whole lot of cosmetics collecting dust. It's like being in high school again when all of your makeup fit in one box/Caboodle and everything had a dip or pan showing because you used the same things all of the time. It's totally in the spirit of low-buy/shop your collection. I even killed my lemming for the Becca Beach Tint Shimmer Souffles.

I don't feel the need to add to my little summertime collection so I'm feeling really confident and secure about being on a no-buy now. I'm pumped!
cheerleader.gif

CoralBlast

I love that - you are still you without a lip colour or any other make up! It reminds me of when I was about 21 and up until then I guess I'd got into quite the full faced makeup routine and I didn't feel 'myself' unless I had my black winged eyeliner and I had to get it just even or I'd get frustrated (not a great way to start your day getting pissed at yourself for having things just so is it?) Well I'd had a really bad reaction to some antibiotics that I'd been put on as a precaution, turns out I didn't even need them and they made me super ill. I'd gone down to London for a weekend trip to see the comedian Demitri Martin. Well let me tell you, putting makeup on my face when I was on the train down took me forever because my skin was so painful, half way through the day sightseeing I had to take my eye makeup off and just have my shades on because my eyes wouldn't stop watering. At the hotel before we were going out to see the show, I took my makeup off to reapply freshly - my skin was grey and purple with massive bumps! No matter what I did to try and cover it I just looked weird. I had a massive cry, I felt like crap and didn't want to go out but I knew I couldn't let my boyfriend down as I'd had this trip planned for so long. So I gulped down my pride and went out into the big capital with a bare face, grey skin, lumps and streaming eyes and all! It wasn't nice but from then on I figured that going out with no makeup on could never be that bad, I was still me, I could still walk and talk you know so I shouldn't feel so embarrassed about how I naturally look. I've stopped needing to wear my makeup a certain way since then and I suppose that's how I came to settle on 'the natural look' as after then I spent so many days out and about makeup free I actually learned to not care one way or the other! Rambly story but hopefully all my low buy girlies get the confidence message :)
Congrats for going out barefaced and feeling ok about it. We are putting ourselves down for looking like a normal person because we are bombarded by images of flawless faces on magazines and tv. I used to use full coverage foundation and today i am wondering why because my skin was great i didnt need it so what was i trying to hide? Confidence is the most important thing in a character so embrace it be happy with being you. I have broken out in red itchy bumps the past ten days and finally figured out its the sunscreen, a certain chemical in sunscreen not all suscreen. hate to say it, that means i have to get rid of three bottles of sunscreen and buy a new one.i hope i behave and not buy too much.

B

Buffy89

I have broken out in red itchy bumps the past ten days and finally figured out its the sunscreen, a certain chemical in sunscreen not all suscreen. hate to say it, that means i have to get rid of three bottles of sunscreen and buy a new one.i hope i behave and not buy too much.
oh, I hope your skin will get better soon. Personally, I'd pick up only one bottle first, so I could try if there's an allergic reaction again. The more you buy, the more you might have to toss/get refunded. And re: the self-appreciation topic: yay everyone!!! I've already faced that I used to buy makeup to handle negative feelings, but now I really know these weren't all caused by outer triggers, like stress or other people, but I also evoked a lot of negative feelings myself, struggling with myself and my self-image. Nowadays, I appreciate myself so much more and I don't stress out because of things body/beauty related, e.g. blemishes or scars, or weight. It feels so refreshing.

VAL4M

I have broken out in red itchy bumps the past ten days and finally figured out its the sunscreen, a certain chemical in sunscreen not all suscreen. hate to say it, that means i have to get rid of three bottles of sunscreen and buy a new one.i hope i behave and not buy too much.
Sunscreen are the worst for reactive skin .... I know Caroline Hirons test drive some and offer some insight if they are good for sensitive skin and acne prone skin, you might want to do a little research before buying a new one.
As for myself i'm debating if I really want MAC Freshen up highlighter. It is the only item I want from the upcoming collection. I have no time to stress and stalk that stupid site!
I realized that the last MAC items i purchased was last year for the novel romance collection and do not feel a missed anything .... will see next week if I just decide I do not need another gold-peach blush-highlighter.

DarylandCarole

I think the time has come for me to ease on into this thread. Le sigh...

I kind of went ballistic with makeup purchases from March until now. I went from BI to VIBR between March and May
wacko.gif
I think I was compensating for very very minimal purchases for the last 2-3 years (grad school). So it's time to really start my very very low-buy. I don't know where to start with goals. I know there are still two Becca Bech Tint Shimmer Souffle's that I want and if DermStore has another flash sale I might get them, but I'd feel better about myself if I just cut the spending off as of today with no makeup spending for the rest of May or June.

Ideally I want to be on a super low-buy until November for the Sephora Friends & Family Sale (but I also have a wish list of non-Sephora items) where I'll allow myself to binge and between now and then I'll only repurchase staples or pick up a LE item from one of my favorite brands should one be released. But I'm afraid to be that restrictive. I want it to feel like moderation not punishment. And I might treat myself to something for my birthday in August. Le sigh...
You're not alone in going wild after a few years of an extreme budget. I did the same thing. I think it's probably very common, when you feel like you've been deprived of indulging yourself/buying personal things for several years. I got VIBR that year, too! I suspect that you'll naturally swing back to a middle ground of not spending too much but not depriving yourself.

DarylandCarole

I haven't written in here for awhile, so I wanted to check in before the big Wash n Dry collection next week. I've been doing pretty well lately. I went through my glosses and lippies and bagged up all of my old stuff and B2M'ed it. So I ended up with a couple of new lippies for no money, and reduced my stash. From MAC is Beauty I only bought some fluid lines. And I got those because I realized that they are easier for me to apply than eye pencils now. Sadly aging is changing the skin on my eyes and pencils tend to apply unevenly so I always have to smudge them. But that was all that I bought from that collection.
My only slip up recently was going in Sephora on a whim just to see what was new. I normally just order online from them. Shortly after I went in a sales associate asked if I'd seen the new UD blushes and I was sucked in. I loved the packaging! AND they had a purple blush, purple anything is my weakness. So I ended up buying a blush and a lipgloss (which I didn't need because I have plenty). It was totally unplanned and as it turned out, I didn't have enough money for it in my bank account, so it caused me to bounce 2 things. I ended up with 100.00 in charges for a shortage of 10.00. That really sucked. So to cover all of the fees I had to return what I'd bought at Sephora AND something else. That was certainly a way to learn not to impulse buy!
In May I do want to buy something from Wash N Dry but I haven't narrowed down my list yet. I'd like to keep it to 1 lippie and 1 bronzer or blush. I have too many other expenditures in May, unfortunately. I need to get some things fixed on my car, and replenish some of my skin care staples. Skin care isn't as much fun to buy as make up and clothes, but at my age it's becoming the most important thing.

Lipstickwh0re

I haven't been doing too bad since most of my money has been going to clothes since I lost weight. I purchased Blitzed from Melt and two tubes of Hollywood Cerise. I think I might skip Wash and Dry. The packaging is cute but nothing is screaming at me. My focus is mainly on the new matte collection and the re release of Heaux. I bought a heat protector three days ago and some Burt's Bees scrub about two weeks ago. Almost bought super sized versions of Monoi Shampoo and Conditioner but couldn't commit to the purchase because I have a wedding to go to in July and still need things for it. Either way, this is my update.

Vandekamp

I haven't been doing too bad since most of my money has been going to clothes since I lost weight. I purchased Blitzed from Melt and two tubes of Hollywood Cerise. I think I might skip Wash and Dry. The packaging is cute but nothing is screaming at me. My focus is mainly on the new matte collection and the re release of Heaux. I bought a heat protector three days ago and some Burt's Bees scrub about two weeks ago. Almost bought super sized versions of Monoi Shampoo and Conditioner but couldn't commit to the purchase because I have a wedding to go to in July and still need things for it. Either way, this is my update.
Congrats on loosing weight.

VAL4M

Thank you, Vandie! I literally have no clothes to wear so I have to redo my whole closet with clothes. Every time I buy something, I immediately wear it. I have a lot of stuff to donate.
Why don't you do an exchange clothing party? you invite a bunch of your friends (6 to 12 max no men aloud), all bring clothing they are no longer wearing. Me and my friends are having those 4 to 6 time a year and it is great to have new clothing for cheap and it is a great excuse to meet for a couple of hours and drink some wine! If you want more info let me know.

CoralBlast

oh, I hope your skin will get better soon. Personally, I'd pick up only one bottle first, so I could try if there's an allergic reaction again. The more you buy, the more you might have to toss/get refunded. And re: the self-appreciation topic: yay everyone!!! I've already faced that I used to buy makeup to handle negative feelings, but now I really know these weren't all caused by outer triggers, like stress or other people, but I also evoked a lot of negative feelings myself, struggling with myself and my self-image. Nowadays, I appreciate myself so much more and I don't stress out because of things body/beauty related, e.g. blemishes or scars, or weight. It feels so refreshing.
Sunscreen are the worst for reactive skin .... I know Caroline Hirons test drive some and offer some insight if they are good for sensitive skin and acne prone skin, you might want to do a little research before buying a new one. As for myself i'm debating if I really want MAC Freshen up highlighter. It is the only item I want from the upcoming collection. I have no time to stress and stalk that stupid site!  I realized that the last MAC items i purchased was last year for the novel romance collection and do not feel a missed anything .... will see next week if I just decide I do not need another gold-peach blush-highlighter. 
Thank you for the advice guys, i will be looking for caroline hirons advice on the topic as well i just have to stop scratching. And i am also on the freshen up roller coaster ride...... i want it ... no no i dont ...not worth it... maybe it is that good just not sure. I have decided to check it out in the store before pulling the trigger. Stay strong everyone and remember happiness is in the moments so dont get discouraged have a chat with friends and maybe they can help :bouquet:

Maris Crane

First, Happy Mothers' Day to all the mums on here. In honour of this, I binged at Sephora and Shoppers Drug Mart this weekend. I cut off my hair to shoulder length from mid-back,and my hairdresser ended up waving it with a flat iron. I'm useless with hair but he inspired a couple of things:

ABH Contour Kit - despite owning the KVD and using it religiously, I gave in to the Light-Medium Anastasia. So far, it's much less powdery but I'm unsure.
LM Baked Matte Highlight 01 for my mom for Mother's Day, and the LE Indiscretion highlight powder for myself.
Bumble & Bumble surf spray and a random 1" curling wand with my Optimum points.
100 Point Samples: the Vita Libreata tanning mousse (for mah legs - and I picked up the glove) and Elizabeth & James Nirvana White (LOVE!)

I did not need any of this, but I bought it anyway! And a FOTD:

Bioderma Sensibio AR cream as primer
Armani Master Corrector No. 1 under eyes
skin79 Hot Pink Bb cream with Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage on spots, and MAC Mineralise Loose in Extra Light to set
Bourjois Bronzing Primer, with the darkest shade from the ABH Contour Kit to contour cheekbones and Banana to set under eye concealer
NARS Unlawful blush
Essence I<3Stage eye primer
NARS AAE Duo - shimmery shade on lid, slightly more satin on brow bone; MAC Moleskin through socket line and to blend; Surratt Beauty single in Truffle in outer corner
Maybelline FIT Me concealer, Light 10 under eyes
INGLOT #77 Gel liner winged
Makeup Forever AquaEyes #23L in lower waterline
Armani Eyes to Kill mascara
MAC Creme Cup lipstick
LORAC Creamy Brow Pencil in Blonde

Elba

Hi guys! I haven't posted in a long time, but I wanted to do an update on my low buy. I'm doing good! I bought some stuff recently, but nothing outrageous. I actually managed to use up quite some make up! Mascara and powder, for example. And concealer. You know, the boring stuff, lol. I'll never run out of eyeshadows or lipsticks, I guess. My buying habits have really improved over the last year. I don't do drugstore impulse buys any more. It's not that drugstore stuff is bad per se, but I have so many high end products, that I just never use the cheaper ones. There are some things, like mascara, that I always buy from there, but I really love a Chanel lipstick or a Dior Bronzer. Small luxuries, I guess. I went to the states recently (yay!) and of course I had to visit a Sephora. I spent an hour swatching everything, but in the end I only bought two things. The tarte rainforest palette that I had been lusting over since it came out, and a mini nailpolish set.
Really happy with my purchase and with my restraint! I had been filling and adding to my online cart ever since the news that Sephora now delivers to europe, but I never pulled the trigger. First I thought, oh, I'll wait for the sale. Then I thought, I'll wait for the christmas sets. And finally I told myself, I'll get all the prettys when I get to a physical store and can swatch and see in person. And so I did. Happy now! I also learned that when I do large hauls, I don't appreciate single items. I'm just overwhelmed and put it all in my drawer and forget about it. So I try to buy little by little and have the chance to get really acquainted with my stuff. Sorry, long, random post! Lol. I just wanted to say hi and share!

kerry-jane88

Hi guys! I haven't posted in a long time, but I wanted to do an update on my low buy. I'm doing good! I bought some stuff recently, but nothing outrageous. I actually managed to use up quite some make up! Mascara and powder, for example. And concealer. You know, the boring stuff, lol. I'll never run out of eyeshadows or lipsticks, I guess. My buying habits have really improved over the last year. I don't do drugstore impulse buys any more. It's not that drugstore stuff is bad per se, but I have so many high end products, that I just never use the cheaper ones. There are some things, like mascara, that I always buy from there, but I really love a Chanel lipstick or a Dior Bronzer. Small luxuries, I guess. I went to the states recently (yay!) and of course I had to visit a Sephora. I spent an hour swatching everything, but in the end I only bought two things. The tarte rainforest palette that I had been lusting over since it came out, and a mini nailpolish set.
Really happy with my purchase and with my restraint! I had been filling and adding to my online cart ever since the news that Sephora now delivers to europe, but I never pulled the trigger. First I thought, oh, I'll wait for the sale. Then I thought, I'll wait for the christmas sets. And finally I told myself, I'll get all the prettys when I get to a physical store and can swatch and see in person. And so I did. Happy now! I also learned that when I do large hauls, I don't appreciate single items. I'm just overwhelmed and put it all in my drawer and forget about it. So I try to buy little by little and have the chance to get really acquainted with my stuff. Sorry, long, random post! Lol. I just wanted to say hi and share!
That's so great! I think that acquainting yourself with the product you want before you buy it (when possible) is an important step so well done for keeping strong until you could swatch in person! It's an interesting point you make about not appreciating individual items within a haul as much as opposed to buying more singularly: if have to agree now you mention it that happens to me to! Infact the three items I bought from Julia petit haven't seen much love from me, probably because I club them together in my head, so I'll see if I can play with them individually and see what I can come up with :)

VAL4M

I made a decision I won't buy MAC Freshen Up, it look too much like a couple of blush I have and pull the trigger on Laura Mercier Art Artist palette (yes it is back in stock on Sephora website)
So that will be my makeup purchase for May.
I was planning to buy some Rae Morris brushes in June but I stumble on a bad review from a blogger, she says her 2 brushes she order was so scratchy she returned them.
So I started searching for more reviews, and find other but they look so "fake" , they all used the same template, same way of describing them. I hate when bloggers do that! Is it just me or it is harder to find some honest reviews on the web? I know some are harsh on T's reviews but I least she is not afraid to mark some products with F's when she feel like it. and not all B+ and above.

nt234

So I started searching for more reviews, and find other but they look so "fake" , they all used the same template, same way of describing them. I hate when bloggers do that! Is it  just me or it is harder to find some honest reviews on the web? I know some are harsh on T's reviews but I least she is not afraid to mark some products with F's when she feel like it. and not all B+ and above. 
I completely agree! I wish there were more people who gave honest reviews. As for my low-buy, this month is a not so good month... My mom got me some ABH stuff as a belated birthday present (cream contour kit, brow wiz since mine is almost finished, vamp gloss, and a single eyeshadow), then Melt had their sale and I couldn't resist getting a lipstick (Shady Lady) since I've never tried their lip products. My JH favorites palette came in at the beginning of the month and aside from the ABH restock this week, I'm placing myself on a shadow ban until the end of June. I already have a Colourpop list made so we'll see how this goes. :shock: I'm in Trinidad at the moment so my cousins are going to take me to check out Sacha(sp?) Cosmetics, and my list for the upcoming MAC collection just consists of Hipness and Morange because I want to buy Please Me and a lip pencil in Plum. I need to slow my roll.

shellygrrl

Staff member
Is it just me or it is harder to find some honest reviews on the web? I know some are harsh on T's reviews but I least she is not afraid to mark some products with F's when she feel like it. and not all B+ and above. 
I think it's more difficult to find reviewers who own up to the fact they were sent things by PR and were compensated to review them positively. (See 99% of Youtubers who've used/reviewed anything by Nume.) I also think people forget that reviews are meant to be more of a guideline and not always "gospel truth", because everyone's different. What works for one may suck for someone else. (This is why I loathe "what is the best (product type here)?" questions and want to kill them with fire.) It's why places like Specktra are much more useful, IMO. We buy almost everything ourselves so there's no pressure on us to review something positively. There are a variety of ages, skintones, and skintypes repesented, along with a diversity of needs and wants. And also, people buy or are sent duds. Anyhoo. If you want a couple of very in-depth (and, IMO, very helpful) reviews of the Rae Morris brushes, look up konglishbeauty on Youtube (she has multiple videos on them, and she includes comparisons with other brushes out there that she owns), as well as the blog Sweet Makeup Temptations. Sonia, who runs SMT, also owns most -- if not all -- of the original RM brushes from when they were released in 2012 in collaboration with Crown Brushes, which she compares to Rae's current, self-released line, along with some of the brushes in her vast collection. I've had my eye on a few of the brushes myself. Just looking through photos and whatnot, I think there are some interesting shapes, and the concept of the magnets is a good one. It would have been cool to see a brush that's about the same size as a MAC 239, though.

mel33t

I think it's more difficult to find reviewers who own up to the fact they were sent things by PR and were compensated to review them positively. (See 99% of Youtubers who've used/reviewed anything by Nume.) I also think people forget that reviews are meant to be more of a guideline and not always "gospel truth", because everyone's different. What works for one may suck for someone else. (This is why I loathe "what is the best (product type here)?" questions and want to kill them with fire.) It's why places like Specktra are much more useful, IMO. We buy almost everything ourselves so there's no pressure on us to review something positively. There are a variety of ages, skintones, and skintypes repesented, along with a diversity of needs and wants. And also, people buy or are sent duds. Anyhoo. If you want a couple of very in-depth (and, IMO, very helpful) reviews of the Rae Morris brushes, look up konglishbeauty on Youtube (she has multiple videos on them, and she includes comparisons with other brushes out there that she owns), as well as the blog Sweet Makeup Temptations. Sonia, who runs SMT, also owns most -- if not all -- of the original RM brushes from when they were released in 2012 in collaboration with Crown Brushes, which she compares to Rae's current, self-released line, along with some of the brushes in her vast collection. I've had my eye on a few of the brushes myself. Just looking through photos and whatnot, I think there are some interesting shapes, and the concept of the magnets is a good one. It would have been cool to see a brush that's about the same size as a MAC 239, though.
I completely agree with you RE: PR samples and not every product working for everyone. I'll research a product as much as I can (especially skincare) before purchasing and try and get samples. I really can't stand how the same products are pushed over and over. I fell into the Glam Glow hype when it first came out and while it may have been amazing for others it didn't really wow me (the blue hydration one). I like watching YouTube and I have a running list of things to check out but I'm more careful now with purchasing.

Maris Crane

I made a decision I won't buy MAC Freshen Up, it look too much like a couple of blush I have and pull the trigger on Laura Mercier Art Artist palette (yes it is back in stock on Sephora website)
So that will be my makeup purchase for May.
I was planning to buy some Rae Morris brushes in June but I stumble on a bad review from a blogger, she says her 2 brushes she order was so scratchy she returned them.
So I started searching for more reviews, and find other but they look so "fake" , they all used the same template, same way of describing them. I hate when bloggers do that! Is it just me or it is harder to find some honest reviews on the web? I know some are harsh on T's reviews but I least she is not afraid to mark some products with F's when she feel like it. and not all B+ and above.
I know this might not help, but this palette is gorgeous, perfection! :)