Resolution "LOW-BUY" 2015

kerry-jane88

The PayPal thing it's like writing a cheque and hoping you get paid before it bounces - nothing new there. But yeah you can't blame access to credit and the channels of payment for your buying behaviours. sadly I think a lot of people are stuck in this vicious cycle of buying too much and getting further and further behind financially. My low buy situation isn't that extreme but I know I've got my struggles!

nt234

I'm in Trinidad at the moment so my cousins are going to take me to check out Sacha(sp?) Cosmetics, and my list for the upcoming MAC collection just consists of Hipness and Morange because I want to buy Please Me and a lip pencil in Plum. I need to slow my roll.
Update: I got Craft and Star Cobalt from the ABH summer collection release (since the other shadows on my list still haven't been restocked), and unfortunately made two impulse purchases... the Laura Geller highlighter in Gilded Honey and Givenchy Le Rouge Couture Edition lipstick. I didn't want to experience FOMO with the highlighter since I missed out on both Whisper of Gilt and Heat Wave, and the lipstick I had been trying to buy since it was first released on the Barney's NY website and I missed it.

For June, I definitely want to get all of my current makeup organized so I can sell what I haven't used, and then keep my number of items purchased well below the double digits!

veronikawithak

That article.. yikes! Really interesting read though!

I just got back from my trip and I think I did okay with my shopping there:

- 2 pairs of shoes for work and special events to replace 2 pairs that weren't my color/style anymore
- 1 hoodie to replace 2 I got 5 years ago that are now worn out/too small
- 3 bras to replace 2 that are now worn out/too small
- 3 dresses for work and special events to replace several others that were worn out/too small/too casual
- 1 shrug for sleeveless dresses to replace 1 that is too small
- 1 wallet to replace 1 that no longer fits my phone since I upgraded it
- basic toiletries: shampoo, conditioner, deep conditioning treatment, toothpaste, toothbrush, hair brush (broke some bristles on my old one)

Seems like a lot to type out, especially given that I purchased a few other things this month before I went away.. but looking over the list, pretty much everything was a replacement of something I already had that was either used up, worn out, or not my size.

Since I've been home I've placed a couple of orders with indie cosmetic companies:

- Oak Bark contouring powder from Pumpkin & Poppy
- 2 powders and 2 eyeshadows + a few samples from Shiro

I spent about $50 for 5 items + samples with shipping. Not too bad. Obviously I'm still exploring a few makeup products here and there, but nowhere near my purchasing habits of the past.

mel33t

That's a really interesting article, thank you for sharing! I'm thinking of doing a summer makeup challenge from June 1 through August 31. I want it to be a no-buy but I'm nervous of putting restrictions on myself. I've been thinking of doing like a 30 day eye challenge, a 30 day blush challenge, and a 30 day lip challenge. Not all at once, that's a little too much! I've been in the process of starting a blog. Its not 100% running but I think its going to force me to use things I own and to be creative. I buy all these lipsticks but I wear the same five colors. On the flip side, that could also force me to purchase more than necessary which is why I'm hesitant. :sigh: first world problems anyone?

kerry-jane88

That's a really interesting article, thank you for sharing! I'm thinking of doing a summer makeup challenge from June 1 through August 31. I want it to be a no-buy but I'm nervous of putting restrictions on myself. I've been thinking of doing like a 30 day eye challenge, a 30 day blush challenge, and a 30 day lip challenge. Not all at once, that's a little too much! I've been in the process of starting a blog. Its not 100% running but I think its going to force me to use things I own and to be creative. I buy all these lipsticks but I wear the same five colors. On the flip side, that could also force me to purchase more than necessary which is why I'm hesitant. :sigh: first world problems anyone?
Id recommend the 30 day challenges as they really pit all your colours against each other when you're using them so mindfully in succession :) As for your blog start up - cool! I have a blog that I share with my sister and I know when I've purchased something new I've felt as if I 'have' to blog about it whilst it's relevant, but then I found that I'll never be able to keep up with the major blogs (who lets be honest get most of the new releases sent to them for free!) so I just blog whenever and don't worry about it too much, let yourself have the space to be comfortable with your own style :)

B

Buffy89

sigh.gif
first world problems anyone?
I guess I should try a 30 day challenge, too. Just like you, I own a lot of different items (and most of them can be put into groups of similar colors, e.g. Brave/Faux/etc. lipstick - they are slightly different but I'm sure noone around me could notice), and I really use a handful of them in comparison to my entire makeup kit.
I've already noticed that I'm going through "phases" when it comes to my everyday makeup look. At the moment, it's a neutral brown eye look with lots of liner, paired with a rosy-brown lip color and a natural blush color. Some months ago, I went for a more dramatic eye look and plummy/berry pink lips with baby pink cheeks (sounds worse than it looks, haha). Well, that's okay so far, but each time I'm discovering a new to-go look, I feel like I could wear a certain look forever, so I tend to buy lots of dupes/similar items (e.g. now that nineties lip/darker lipstick (I'm NC15, so "dark" might be not-so-dark, lol) trend - I own Brave, Faux, Twig (B2M), Captive (B2M), Reel Drama (very old), Mystical,...). But one can certainly enjoy a certain look/trend without buying loads of corresponding products. Maybe I'll like something different in a few months, who knows.

Twinkle_Twinkle

sigh.gif
first world problems anyone?
3 months is kind of a long time. For me anyway. And I'd just be afraid I would hardcore makeup binge at the end of August but a 30 day challenge sounds great. I should do an eye shadow or pigment challenge but I am so lazy about eye look lately.

jennyap

FOTD (I'm pleased with this one!)

YSL Le Teint Touche Eclat foundation (BR10) - got a sample of this, liking it a lot so far
Clinique Airbrush Concealer - 01 Fair
Benefit Lemonaid Eye Primer
MAC eyeshadows - Juxt, Pick Me Up, Marsh
UD eyeshadow - Damaged
MAC fluidline - Black Ivy
Chantecaille Faux Cils mascara
MAC blush - Immortal Flower
MAC lipstick - Toying Around

I ordered one Huggable - I'm In. I was toying between this one and Bare Hug, but the decision was made for me as Bare Hug was sold out everywhere. I'm really enjoying sheerer or glossy lips at the moment (my mattes aren't getting much love) so I'm looking forward to this one.

DarylandCarole

I completely agree with you RE: PR samples and not every product working for everyone. I'll research a product as much as I can (especially skincare) before purchasing and try and get samples. I really can't stand how the same products are pushed over and over. I fell into the Glam Glow hype when it first came out and while it may have been amazing for others it didn't really wow me (the blue hydration one). I like watching YouTube and I have a running list of things to check out but I'm more careful now with purchasing.
I feel the same about Glam Glow. I tried it from a sample and I find it gross. Don't like the smell or the texture. I was surprised it was like a witches potion of mud, twigs, and leaves... like something I would've concocted in the garden when I was a kid. haha.
Good to know. I have a few samples but haven't tried them yet. I'm still glad that I don't watch much YouTube.

DarylandCarole

I've been to Europe several time and it is true here in Canada and in the US, I think Interact and Credit card is used for almost everything, even to pay for a cup of coffee. I do think it causing us to overspend and it will be worse for our kids. I remember when I was really young going to the candy store with 4x 25cents and choosing my candies and the cashier telling me after a while that I should stop because I had no money left, I will need to do the same thing with my kids to show them it is not just a number on a receipt or a number on your iTunes account. I will be harder for them to see it. As for Perfume I think it is like wine, I remember when I start drinking wine,  I was buying bottles of wine around 10 to 15$, and it was good enough (in Ontario and Quebec wine is sold by government own company and it cost way more then Europe or even in the states.... if you see tourist going bananas over a 2 euros bottle of wine big chance they coming from Canada LOL) and after while and developing certain taste you start buying more expensive bottles, slowly but surely you go up in price without realizing it, a bottle at 17$ and the next month you are now reaching for that 19$ bottle and oops only 20$ and at one point someone *my husband*  had to make me realized a 25$ bottle of wine is expensive!  We are at a point in our G7 countries where luxury goods are no longer see as luxury but necessity and no if you are 17 years old you do not need your Micheal Kors and Coach handbag!  
I am much older than 17 and I've never bought a designer bag. The most I'll spend is 50.00 at TJ Maxx for something. I like some of the expensive ones, I just can't bring myself to pay that much for them. But that's because it's just never been my thing. My weakness is make-up and clothes. I Think it's in how you were brought up, and how much money you have. In my family buying a 50.00 purse is extravagant, jut like buying "department store" make-up. I haven't been doing great lately with my spending on make-up and clothes. It's becoming a cyclical thing. I only get paid once a month, so I normally pay my bills and then I'm broke for 3 weeks. Then I feel deprived and somehow powerless. That may not be the best word, but maybe you get it. I don't have the ability to get things I want, even if it's food. I can buy food but not what I want. (I've been trying to eat healthier and it's expensive!) So when I have money again I'm excited and buy things, pay bills, and then I'm broke again. I am seeing that I need to just do a no buy or maybe "buy only xxx.xx" so that I don't have these ups and downs. I also need to find other ways to get that happy or "in control" feeling. It's not helping that I had t put my sweet kitty to sleep a week ago. She was old, but had been doing well after some problems last fall/winter. Then her back legs suddenly became paralyzed. I took her to an animal hospital and they told me that she had a blood clot right in the area before her hind legs, and that the prognosis was poor. I knew it would be very hard for me to lose her, as she was the last of 2 girls I'd had for a long time. But I had to do what was in her best interests. I didn't want her to suffer or live an unhappy life. As I suspected, it's been really hard for me. Every day I think of her, as in "where is she? I need to feed her" etc., and the loss of her company is the worst. But it's all lessons to b learned. I'll get the hang of it all eventually.

shellygrrl

Staff member
It's not helping that I had t put my sweet kitty to sleep a week ago. She was old, but had been doing well after some problems last fall/winter. Then her back legs suddenly became paralyzed. I took her to an animal hospital and they told me that she had a blood clot right in the area before her hind legs, and that the prognosis was poor. I knew it would be very hard for me to lose her, as she was the last of 2 girls I'd had for a long time. But I had to do what was in her best interests. I didn't want her to suffer or live an unhappy life. As I suspected, it's been really hard for me. Every day I think of her, as in "where is she? I need to feed her" etc., and the loss of her company is the worst. But it's all lessons to b learned. I'll get the hang of it all eventually.
:support: :hug:

Vandekamp

Thank you, Vandie! I literally have no clothes to wear so I have to redo my whole closet with clothes. Every time I buy something, I immediately wear it. I have a lot of stuff to donate. 
What a great problem to have.
Why don't you do an exchange clothing party? you invite a bunch of your friends (6 to 12 max no men aloud), all bring clothing they are no longer wearing. Me and my friends are having those 4 to 6 time a year and it is great to have new clothing for cheap and it is a great excuse to meet for a couple of hours and drink some wine! If you want more info let me know. 
That is a great idea.
I just stumpled upon an article about makeup hoarding: http://www.xojane.com/issues/i-exploited-a-paypal-loophole-to-feed-my-shopping-addiction Thought I might share it, maybe someone's interested in reading this. And how's everyone doing? It's so quiet in here again! I'm fine, didn't purchase anything since the items I got on May 4th (I've already posted about them). I did purchase some (cheap) summer clothes this week, but I'm not sure I'm keeping them.
I don't pop in here nearly as much as I should. I am doing well. You?

B

Buffy89

I don't pop in here nearly as much as I should. I am doing well. You?
Good to hear! I am doing well, too. In the beginning of the month, I purchased one Mac lipstick (French Twist, a versatile nude shade) and a gel eyeliner (Siahi), plus two jars of the Ash Blonde brow fluidline from Wash & Dry (not really into backups, but finally I've found something that matches my brows/hair). Since then, I didn't purchase any makeup, neither from the Wash & Dry collection with that packaging I like so much, nor from the Chanel summer collection (I'm still really liking 3 of the lipsticks from that collection, but my May budget is screaming no, so maybe next month. I'm also admiring one nailpolish, but I'm sure I can find a cheapo dupe...or simply skip any new polishes and go on using what I already own, which would be even better). Still, I've spent my budget for "fun things" because I bought concert tickets for two bands (Friska Viljor and Young Rebel Set, in case anybody might know them. Don't know how popular they're anywhere else. Especially FV is one of the best bands when it comes to making the crowd have fun, so yayyy! Unfortunately, the shows are in August/November, so still a long wait). I've spent almost 50 Euros on the tickets, which is a lot for me.
I've noticed that Soar lippencil is back in stock, at least online here (I've been wanting that one for ages), so maybe I'll check my counter in the next days. For the next months, I don't have a crazy "wish list", because most new Mac stuff will be perm (I hope I can collect some pieces of empty packaging so I can B2M for one or two matte lipsticks) or I found the previews rather underwhelming
angelic.gif

VAL4M

Good to hear! I am doing well, too. In the beginning of the month, I purchased one Mac lipstick (French Twist, a versatile nude shade) and a gel eyeliner (Siahi), plus two jars of the Ash Blonde brow fluidline from Wash & Dry (not really into backups, but finally I've found something that matches my brows/hair). Since then, I didn't purchase any makeup, neither from the Wash & Dry collection with that packaging I like so much, nor from the Chanel summer collection (I'm still really liking 3 of the lipsticks from that collection, but my May budget is screaming no, so maybe next month. I'm also admiring one nailpolish, but I'm sure I can find a cheapo dupe...or simply skip any new polishes and go on using what I already own, which would be even better). Still, I've spent my budget for "fun things" because I bought concert tickets for two bands (Friska Viljor and Young Rebel Set, in case anybody might know them. Don't know how popular they're anywhere else. Especially FV is one of the best bands when it comes to making the crowd have fun, so yayyy! Unfortunately, the shows are in August/November, so still a long wait). I've spent almost 50 Euros on the tickets, which is a lot for me.
I've noticed that Soar lippencil is back in stock, at least online here (I've been wanting that one for ages), so maybe I'll check my counter in the next days. For the next months, I don't have a crazy "wish list", because most new Mac stuff will be perm (I hope I can collect some pieces of empty packaging so I can B2M for one or two matte lipsticks) or I found the previews rather underwhelming
angelic.gif
I'm so happy not to be into Chanel Lipsticks they've been launching new lipsticks like crazy for the past couple of years. I only have 4 of them and they were bought like two years ago. As for MAC I'm only interested in the Matte lipstick D for Danger and I too will be waiting to B2M.

Lipstickwh0re

I'm still doing okay because I have clothes to buy. After I get the lipstick I want and an eye liner pencil from WnD I'll be done till August. I know the Matte collection is going to be perm so I wont be going ham to get to it immediately.

Alysse011

@burghchick - I'm sorry for your loss. It really is difficult to lose a pet - they're part of the family.