Resolution "LOW-BUY" 2015

Glitteryvegas

Hi Ladies,

I've just caught up with everyone's posts! It was very quiet in here for a while! A lot of that looks like it's to do with no/limited shopping so that's a good thing! Congrats to all of us on our success and let's keep plugging away for the remainder of 2015!

As for an update on myself: I haven't purchased makeup for almost five months now. It feels good!

For Easter my mom bought me the brown/gold 15 pan MAC shadow palette and the VG Miley gloss. That's the only makeup I've rec'd this year, besides my Sephora Bday gift, and I didn't pay for it. It was an expensive gift and I haven't used it nearly enough, but I'm going to go through my neutrals and purge to make room for it. I can see myself using it a lot once I work with it a bit for pairings and it's something I can have for a long time.

I feel really amazing about my progress in my buying habits. I haven't had to purchase shampoo, etc. or soap type products either since I had a stockpile of those. So literally it's the basics - toothpaste, floss, etc. I'm a little concerned about the mascara situation but I'm trying to stretch out what I have, because I can't buy any at all. I have a full MAC Haughty & Naughty (or whatever it's called) that I haven't opened and I'm saving that for later this year. I'm trying to get through the summer w/what I have open already (a purple coloured mascara, a MAC one that's a bit annoying to use/smells odd, and a UD sample size one).

I've given away a TONNE of makeup since I started downsizing last summer and yesterday I had another clothing consignment appointment...slowly but surely I'm getting there.

The money I was once spending on makeup is being funnelled into my debt and that couldn't come soon enough. I had a $1200 tax bill this year due to an oversight on my part I guess, and in our condo we have to replace/upgrade out underground parking to the tune of $600 a month for six months. UGHHH some days it feels like two steps forward and three back. I just keep plodding along and know that even if I keep going backwards now, one day I'll be moving forward.

The hardest part of our project so far has been the no tv to be honest. I had to amend it because I thought I was going to go crazy. Now we can watch movies on the weekend, but no tv during the week.

Hope everyone has a GREAT weekend! xo

B

Buffy89

I'm so happy not to be into Chanel Lipsticks they've been launching new lipsticks like crazy for the past couple of years. I only have 4 of them and they were bought like two years ago. As for MAC I'm only interested in the Matte lipstick D for Danger and I too will be waiting to B2M.
yeah, the're so pricey. I don't really know why, but Chanel is the only high end brand that's really appealing to me. I'd never pay the same price to get a Dior/Guerlain/Givenchy lipstick because that clearly might feel too expensive to me. It's weird. I guess it's the brand's whole concept/image/fashion that's making me want their lipsticks.
re: Mac Matte collection, I'm really interested in Whirl, and some shades that have been around for some years (like Velvet Teddy, Please Me). So I'm quite motivated to use my Mac stash so that in the long run, I'll have some empties.

B

Buffy89

Hi Ladies,

I've just caught up with everyone's posts! It was very quiet in here for a while! A lot of that looks like it's to do with no/limited shopping so that's a good thing! Congrats to all of us on our success and let's keep plugging away for the remainder of 2015!

As for an update on myself: I haven't purchased makeup for almost five months now. It feels good!

For Easter my mom bought me the brown/gold 15 pan MAC shadow palette and the VG Miley gloss. That's the only makeup I've rec'd this year, besides my Sephora Bday gift, and I didn't pay for it. It was an expensive gift and I haven't used it nearly enough, but I'm going to go through my neutrals and purge to make room for it. I can see myself using it a lot once I work with it a bit for pairings and it's something I can have for a long time.

I feel really amazing about my progress in my buying habits. I haven't had to purchase shampoo, etc. or soap type products either since I had a stockpile of those. So literally it's the basics - toothpaste, floss, etc. I'm a little concerned about the mascara situation but I'm trying to stretch out what I have, because I can't buy any at all. I have a full MAC Haughty & Naughty (or whatever it's called) that I haven't opened and I'm saving that for later this year. I'm trying to get through the summer w/what I have open already (a purple coloured mascara, a MAC one that's a bit annoying to use/smells odd, and a UD sample size one).

I've given away a TONNE of makeup since I started downsizing last summer and yesterday I had another clothing consignment appointment...slowly but surely I'm getting there.

The money I was once spending on makeup is being funnelled into my debt and that couldn't come soon enough. I had a $1200 tax bill this year due to an oversight on my part I guess, and in our condo we have to replace/upgrade out underground parking to the tune of $600 a month for six months. UGHHH some days it feels like two steps forward and three back. I just keep plodding along and know that even if I keep going backwards now, one day I'll be moving forward.

The hardest part of our project so far has been the no tv to be honest. I had to amend it because I thought I was going to go crazy. Now we can watch movies on the weekend, but no tv during the week.

Oh wow
cheerleader.gif
this sounds like amazing progress! Your reporting about your project ist super inspiring each time! And re: that mascara thing: even following the rule that one should toss mascara after 3 months, you might really make it without buying any new tubes until 2016 (using one tube per 3 months - I usually am fine with even a sample size for that time).
I totally get you with those stockpiles of shampoo :) My worst "collection" is body lotion, I still got 3 bottles/jars I haven't opened yet, plus 3 that are open, and some luxury samples. I must finish them first, but I'd love to try anything new I see in the drugstore.

shellygrrl

Staff member
Way to go, GV! :) FOTD... * Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer * MAC Paint Pot - Painterly (as an undereye corrector, pre-foundation) * NARS Sheer Glow - Siberia * MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer - NW15 * OCC Skin Conceal - Y1 * Rimmel Stay Matte Powder - Transparent * Anastasia Brow Powder Duo - Ash Brown * NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base * Makeup Geek Eyeshadows - Barcelona Beach and Unexpected (transition and crease colours) * Victoria's Secret eyeshadow - Bunny (to buff out harsh lines) * MAC Pigment - Mauvement * Sephora eyeliner pencil - 5th Avenue * Bare Minerals Flawless Definition Mascara - Black * MAC Blush - Next to Skin (contour) * MAC Lipstick - Viva Glam II Meanwhile, I've found a different use for one of my archived brushes. A few years ago I bought a Sigma F05 for contouring, found out I prefer a different brush shape for that, so I stopped using it. Not to mention there's been a tiny amount of shedding with it, and the fact the dye bleeds when I wash it. Then, recently, I had a idea to try it for setting powder in smaller areas (under eyes, across nose), and it's not bad.

DarylandCarole

Hi Ladies,

Wow, you are doing so well with your "no buy 2015" project. I should be able to do that, I have gone for a year without buying anything except mascara. I'd have to stop following the threads on here, though. Once you see something in an upcoming collection it's hard to forget about it. I'll be really curious what you'll have to say about everything once the year is over.
I think I'd go crazy without TV. I used to get up in the morning and turn on the stereo and just read, but then I got in the habit of turning on the TV. Now if I'm inside it's almost always on, even if I'm not watching it. Silence makes me too anxious. It's funny that I can sit outside in silence and that's okay, but not inside. Kudo's to you for sticking to your goals!

NaomiH

Wow, you are doing so well with your "no buy 2015" project.  I should be able to do that, I have gone for a year without buying anything except mascara.  I'd have to stop following the threads on here, though.  Once you see something in an upcoming collection it's hard to forget about it.  I'll be really curious what you'll have to say about everything once the year is over. I think I'd go crazy without TV.  I used to get up in the morning and turn on the stereo and just read, but then I got in the habit of turning on the TV.  Now if I'm inside it's almost always on, even if I'm not watching it.  Silence makes me too anxious.  It's funny that I can sit outside in silence and that's okay, but not inside.  Kudo's to you for sticking to your goals!
I'm the exact same way!

NaomiH

I've not really been doing too much low buying as I've done a few hauls here and there,but I have managed to cut down the amount of hauls and their sizes from what they used to be. I used to be at the MAC counter almost weekly and now I only go if there is a collection I want to see in person or I need something I've run out of. I've also gotten better at rotating through things and using things up and have about 20 MAC empties in a bag I'm looking forward to using on some of the new mattes. :)

B

Buffy89

I'm the exact same way!
Me too! Especially in the morning or the evening. I'm not really anxious, but some "good morning" tv show always helps me to be in a better mood in the morning, lol. Radio/music is okay, but idk, it's different, even when I'm not in the same room with my tv.

NaomiH

Me too! Especially in the morning or the evening. I'm not really anxious, but some "good morning" tv show always helps me to be in a better mood in the morning, lol. Radio/music is okay, but idk, it's different, even when I'm not in the same room with my tv.
Same here,not so anxious as I am in need of something to focus on to help wake me up. Especially now that I'm getting up super early most days for work.

B

Buffy89

Just a quick summary of what I purchased in May: As I've already posted, I bought
- Mac Siahi fluidline
- Mac French Twist lipstick
- Mac Ash Blonde brow fluidline (2x)
- and last week I was able to pick up Soar liner, which I had been wanting for sooo long to team it with some lipsticks I own (the usual suspects when it comes to a Soar combo: Brave and Faux, lol).

I tried to start a 30 day lipstick challenge and I've already prepared a memo/notebook chart on my phone, but I failed (? well, I've still come to some conclusions, so...). Most of the time I was using French Twist (so this shows that I'm really enjoying it), Soar instead of a lipstick, or Oxblood, which I had neglected for too long. I've noticed already now that I'm quite tired of using any pink kind of shade. Although I still like more subtle pinks like Angel, or dusty, mauvey pinks, I'm not into those "pop of color", true kind of shades (like Pink Pearl Pop, Milan Mode,...) any more. Not only that I'm currently not really using them (this might change once summer is really coming), I think I can say that I totally lost interest in purchasing any new tubes/bullets of similar colors, which is really good!

I'm gonna post my empties in the "Use it up" tread in a few days; I was able to finish a mascara, an eye primer sample, and there's an eyeshadow which will be "defeated" in the next weeks, too, I guess (depending on how often I'll use it). Not really a huge number, but finishing makeup products in general is so much fun.

shellygrrl

Staff member
FOTD... * It Cosmetics YSBB CC Cream - Fair * MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer - NW15 * OCC Skin Conceal - Y1 * Anastasia Eyebrow Powder Duo - Ash Brown * NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base * Victoria's Secret eyeshadows - Bunny (base colour) and Primal (starting lid colour; final use of the latter, as I opted to throw this out due to age) * Makeup Geek eyeshadows - Unexpected (transition/crease colour), Sensuous (lid), Corrupt (lashline) * Bare Minerals Flawless Definition Mascara - Black * OCC Creme Colour Concentrate - John Doe * MAC Blush - Next to Skin * The Body Shop Honey Bronze Bronzing Powder - 02 Fair * Urban Decay Naked 2 Palette - Bootycall (face highlight) * MAC Lipstick - Feed the Senses

Twinkle_Twinkle

Besides picking up WnW's Hollywood Boulevard I've been makeup purchase-free for two weeks and I'm returning two Stila liquid lipsticks. Pretty proud of myself.

ellemarie

I was doing so well on my no-buy until I discovered ColourPop. But I got a ton of stuff and there's really nothing else I want...right now. I think.

B

Buffy89

I was doing so well on my no-buy until I discovered ColourPop. But I got a ton of stuff and there's really nothing else I want...right now. I think. 
Color Pop seems so tempting! I'm kinda glad they don't ship to germany, so problem solved...forced to skip.

veronikawithak

It's been 2 weeks since I last posted but I haven't purchased any cosmetics since then. I did purchase some cleaning and organization things for the house, and linens (just moved so I had nothing). Oh and some skincare since I used up everything I had before the move. My goal going forward is to try not to purchase anything unnecessary because we had way too much in our old apartment.. it's amazing what you can accumulate in 4 years. I'm going to keep a running list of things I'd like and just buy what I feel myself wanting to reach for a lot. I'm enjoying the fresh start though.

Alysse011

I've been doing a pretty good job with not purchasing makeup as well. I really need to go on a total no buy though, so I'm no-buying until my birthday in September (except I will repurchase mascara during that time). I'm happy with the products I have, but I definitely still lean toward buying new shiny things haha. There's pretty much always a running list of items in the notes section of my iPhone that I would like to buy, but those will just have to remain in my notes for now. Especially since I have a curated stash of products I love right now...I figure why ruin it?

I think I will take a page out of shelly's book and post some face of the days over the next couple of months to keep myself on track, see what I use the most, and maybe inspire some creativity. I'm also going to keep track of my iPhone Lust List I mentioned earlier; I think it'll be interesting to see how it changes (and determine how fickle I am/if the product is something I really want).

FOTD:
-Strivectin CC cream
-By Terry Terrybly Densillis concealer
-Laura Mercier Ritual Bronzer/Blush
-Becca SSP pressed in Opal
-UD Primer Potion
-CT Marie Antoinette cream shadow
-Benefit Gimme Brow
-CT Barbarella Brown liner
-MAC Chromographic eyeliner in NC15/NW20 (I think that's the shade) in my waterline
-Chanel le volume mascara
-Marc Jacobs Georgie Girl lipstick

Current Lust List:
-CT cream eyeshadows in Bette and Mona Lisa
-CT Pillow Talk lipliner
-CT B*tch Perfect lipstick (I am on a major CT kick)
-NARS Illuminating Primer
-Hourglass Child lipgloss

Yazmin

I haven't hauled too much as of late - just a few MAC matte lipsticks from the latest release. Ive just started reading The Life-Changing Magic of Tidyng Up and it's given me a lot of lightbulb moments. I realize now how I can get rid of a lot, but it still looks like I haven't made a dent. The idea to start with clothes, then books, then papers, and so on, makes SO MUCH sense and I can't wait to start this weekend. I plan to do use the same process with my makeup collection once I've gone through the aforementioned items.

Anaphora

I haven't hauled too much as of late - just a few MAC matte lipsticks from the latest release. Ive just started reading The Life-Changing Magic of Tidyng Up and it's given me a lot of lightbulb moments. I realize now how I can get rid of a lot, but it still looks like I haven't made a dent. The idea to start with clothes, then books, then papers, and so on, makes SO MUCH sense and I can't wait to start this weekend. I plan to do use the same process with my makeup collection once I've gone through the aforementioned items.
I have that book too! I need to put it to use and start getting rid of stuff.

veronikawithak

That book is one of my absolute favorites! It's helped me a lot as well.. not only with letting go of things but with not purchasing them in the first place.

B

Buffy89

I have that book too! I need to put it to use and start getting rid of stuff.
That book is one of my absolute favorites! It's helped me a lot as well.. not only with letting go of things but with not purchasing them in the first place.
It's great, isn't it! I wasn't able to do the huge purge fest yet due to being busy, but I'll tackle this in my summer vacation.