Resolution "LOW-BUY" 2015

PixieDancer

Pixxieeeeeee!
th_hug.gif
HEYYYYYYYYY princess!
th_kiss.gif

DarylandCarole

BTW is @PixieDancer still around? Miss you, girl!

Missing her too! I follow her on IG and it seems like she's been pretty busy / doing well. Would be great to see you pop in to the thread @PixieDancer!
Awwwwww! Hey my sweet girlies! I've been missing you guys too! I HAVE been super busy... work work work. And of course, raising the silly kiddo! Hope you ladies are all doing well and having much success with your 2015 low-buys! I'll try to peak in more often!

Here's my update!!! I have tried to stay away for fear of the "sucking in and buying too much" that sometimes gets ahold of us on Specktra!
SOOOOO glad to see that many of you are still commited to your goals and trying to low-buy! I think my first go-around with this little experimnent back in 2014 was a HUGE success! For the most part I don't freak out or even keep up with all the new LE craziness. I've found that I feel much less stressed with my makeup when I find things I LOVE that I can get anytime I want rather than chasing that LE high just to feel let down when I couldn't get something, or even worse, when I WAS able to get the things I wanted but they fell short of my expectations. I did recently get a few more of the Huggables, since I loved that formula so much last year. But I know I'll use them all! I also got several of the new MUFE Artist Shadows, but I KNOW they will make it easy peasy to let some of those MAC shadows go that just don't make the cut against these for me.
I need to get around to doing another purge now that I'm feeling better about not getting the LE goodies... I think it will be easier for me to let some of the ones I don't use go now. I'm sure I'll be appalled by the quantity I let go, but at least I'm not just replacing it now with more. I have way more makeup than I (or 50+) could go through in a lifetime most likely. I am keeping really busy with my career and just wrapped my new movie project where I was the lead actress AND did makeup on set too... so it was really nice to use some of my kit again and pass on some valuable info to some actresses that didn't have the knowledge I've accumulated by being a makeup lover and "collector" for so long. It was really cool to feel like I was passing on info and using up some good products that I would probably end up throwing away. I also passed on lots of products I knew looked good on some of the other girls but I never really reached for often. Feels good to let go and be happier with my stash because it's stuff I LOVE!

I'll check back with everyone soon! Keep up the great work!!!
Pixie! It's so good to read a post from you! I'm glad to hear that you're doing so well. What a great thing you've started here. I consider myself lucky that I found this thread very shortly after I joined Specktra. I would probably have a scary amount of make up if I didn't have this thread to help balance my impulse buys. Not that my collection isn't scary big, but at least I know it! I've recently been able to B2M or throw out some lippies and glosses that seemed like they were still good but were several years old. Seeing that I hadn't used much of some of them made me feel badly, which has made me decide I don't want to have so much make up that I barely can use things for YEARS. That's a good realization for me that will definitely help me keep the buying restricted.

DarylandCarole

While I'm here, I'm going to confess that MAC's 10.00 off every 50.00 spent promotion totally sucked me in. I initially thought I'd just get some things that I'd been wanting to try in the skincare/foundation/primer area. So I picked out a few things, and then because I was trying to figure out the new web site navigation I found a few more. And then I discovered that Le Disko had went on sale already, which I had planned to get a few things from. SO, I ended up getting the Le Disko things too. What I SHOULD have done was gotten rid of the primer, concealer, etc. and only bought what I had planned from Le Disko. Sigh... I was so excited to get a discount from MAC. I've never gotten any promo discount from them.

Oh and before I got this offer, I got a blush and some lip glosses from UD that I've been coveting, and a shirt from Free People. So all of that adds up to more than I can afford, so something will have to be returned.

When will I get off of this ride? I'm hoping now, because there isn't much I want that I know of for the rest of the year. I also managed to keep my Huggables purchase to just 2, and all I've bought from the new matte lip collection is Whirl. Oh and I haven't bought anything from Sephora for a couple of months.

I know a big part of my problem is the depression that I've been in since my kitty died a few weeks ago. Since I had her for 18 years she was such a part of my every day life that with her gone, it's making me see and be unhappy about a lot of things. I have to keep telling myself that this is temporary and things will get better.

Any advice from others?

B

Buffy89

While I'm here, I'm going to confess that MAC's 10.00 off every 50.00 spent promotion totally sucked me in. I initially thought I'd just get some things that I'd been wanting to try in the skincare/foundation/primer area. So I picked out a few things, and then because I was trying to figure out the new web site navigation I found a few more. And then I discovered that Le Disko had went on sale already, which I had planned to get a few things from. SO, I ended up getting the Le Disko things too. What I SHOULD have done was gotten rid of the primer, concealer, etc. and only bought what I had planned from Le Disko. Sigh... I was so excited to get a discount from MAC. I've never gotten any promo discount from them.

Oh and before I got this offer, I got a blush and some lip glosses from UD that I've been coveting, and a shirt from Free People. So all of that adds up to more than I can afford, so something will have to be returned.

When will I get off of this ride? I'm hoping now, because there isn't much I want that I know of for the rest of the year. I also managed to keep my Huggables purchase to just 2, and all I've bought from the new matte lip collection is Whirl. Oh and I haven't bought anything from Sephora for a couple of months.

I know a big part of my problem is the depression that I've been in since my kitty died a few weeks ago. Since I had her for 18 years she was such a part of my every day life that with her gone, it's making me see and be unhappy about a lot of things. I have to keep telling myself that this is temporary and things will get better.

Any advice from others?
I'm so sorry for your loss and that your kitty makes you so sad.
th_cheerup.gif
And it's totally fine that you've used shopping as an outlet for your emotions at first, because losing someone is hard and everybody needs some distraction in a situation like this, (I hope I didn't misunderstand your post), but now it's time to move on and stop overspending on makeup. Shopping might make you feel good for a little while, but eventually, it won't really heal the pain and it won't take away your sadness in any way. I'm sure your kitty can still be part of your life although she's not with you - having lived with you for so long, she has formed your character and made you the awesome person you are today! Appreciate the impact she still has on your life and turn it into positive memories that make you happy. Fill the hole in your heart with appreciation and love and memories, not with material things you don't need. I know it's hard, but concentrate on the good things in your life, because they're still there although you might be missing them at the moment - like the sun on a rainy day, which is still in the sky although those lousy clouds are covering him.
(I hope all this doesn't sound silly or inappropriate...just some thoughts I had and I dearly want to help!)

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
Awwwwww! Hey my sweet girlies! I've been missing you guys too! I HAVE been super busy... work work work. And of course, raising the silly kiddo! Hope you ladies are all doing well and having much success with your 2015 low-buys! I'll try to peak in more often!

Here's my update!!! I have tried to stay away for fear of the "sucking in and buying too much" that sometimes gets ahold of us on Specktra!
SOOOOO glad to see that many of you are still commited to your goals and trying to low-buy! I think my first go-around with this little experimnent back in 2014 was a HUGE success! For the most part I don't freak out or even keep up with all the new LE craziness. I've found that I feel much less stressed with my makeup when I find things I LOVE that I can get anytime I want rather than chasing that LE high just to feel let down when I couldn't get something, or even worse, when I WAS able to get the things I wanted but they fell short of my expectations. I did recently get a few more of the Huggables, since I loved that formula so much last year. But I know I'll use them all! I also got several of the new MUFE Artist Shadows, but I KNOW they will make it easy peasy to let some of those MAC shadows go that just don't make the cut against these for me.
I need to get around to doing another purge now that I'm feeling better about not getting the LE goodies... I think it will be easier for me to let some of the ones I don't use go now. I'm sure I'll be appalled by the quantity I let go, but at least I'm not just replacing it now with more. I have way more makeup than I (or 50+) could go through in a lifetime most likely. I am keeping really busy with my career and just wrapped my new movie project where I was the lead actress AND did makeup on set too... so it was really nice to use some of my kit again and pass on some valuable info to some actresses that didn't have the knowledge I've accumulated by being a makeup lover and "collector" for so long. It was really cool to feel like I was passing on info and using up some good products that I would probably end up throwing away. I also passed on lots of products I knew looked good on some of the other girls but I never really reached for often. Feels good to let go and be happier with my stash because it's stuff I LOVE!

I'll check back with everyone soon! Keep up the great work!!!
Pixie is back!
th_happy1.gif
So glad to see you!
pompom.gif
Happy to hear you're doing so well, with your low-buy and of course your career.

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
I've decluttered some more in the last couple of days. Threw out a whole bag of nail polishes. Also gave away several bags of clothing most of which I've never even worn once.

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
Since I can't sleep and the power keeps going out in the whole neighbourhood since yesterday and I spent most of the evening and night sitting here with a candle, I'm going to take advantage of the fact that the internet is working again to eleborate a little on my recent low-buy experiences, lol.

The #1 lesson I've learned is to only buy what I need RIGHT NOW. I think we all know the temptation of buying something because it is on sale or there is a nice gift with purchase or BOGO deal etc. because we feel like we will use it at some point, right? But the reality for me is that in most cases I won't. No matter if it's makeup, skincare or clothes and asseccories. Our needs and taste change - faster than we often think -, trends come and go, and the tank top that we thought would be a great idea to buy multiples of goes out of style or doesn't fit anymore etc. A drawer full of glittery and funky nail polishes? What was I thinking?
So that is something I've realized but still have to work on. I'm not so delusional to think I won't buy backups anymore or give in when I see a good deal on a product I love, especially when it's LE / being discontinued. And fashion-wise, sometimes it's difficult to predict how often we'll really wear something and for how long we'll like it before we feel it's out of style.

I had a tiny reality check today, pretty random, but still. I found an unopened jar of my vitamin supplement (only one I take). I only buy one or two at a time because it expires pretty fast, so I pretty much plan ahead when to repurchase it and how long it's going to last me (have to order it online). So I was really surprised to find an unopened one - which unfortunately had already expired last year - that I couldn't remember at all buying / still having. Made me realize that I want to be more aware of the purchases I make in general. I want to be able to know what I own and not have stuff sitting around in drawers, boxes, bags somewhere that I have forgotten about. I hate that feeling of basically throwing money out of the window.

Chuchie

The #1 lesson I've learned is to only buy what I need RIGHT NOW. I think we all know the temptation of buying something because it is on sale or there is a nice gift with purchase or BOGO deal etc. because we feel like we will use it at some point, right? But the reality for me is that in most cases I won't. No matter if it's makeup, skincare or clothes and asseccories. Our needs and taste change - faster than we often think -, trends come and go, and the tank top that we thought would be a great idea to buy multiples of goes out of style or doesn't fit anymore etc. A drawer full of glittery and funky nail polishes? What was I thinking? So that is something I've realized but still have to work on. I'm not so delusional to think I won't buy backups anymore or give in when I see a good deal on a product I love, especially when it's LE / being discontinued.
This. All this. Also I've noticed I jump bandwagons too easily. I will "bandwagon love" only to find that I only "sorta like" something. It's kind of a waste. Then as a student moving from the MUCH cheaper deep south to SoCal... I need to save. Spending habits die hard though. lol hate even thinking about it.

DarylandCarole

The #1 lesson I've learned is to only buy what I need RIGHT NOW. I think we all know the temptation of buying something because it is on sale or there is a nice gift with purchase or BOGO deal etc. because we feel like we will use it at some point, right? But the reality for me is that in most cases I won't. No matter if it's makeup, skincare or clothes and asseccories. Our needs and taste change - faster than we often think -, trends come and go, and the tank top that we thought would be a great idea to buy multiples of goes out of style or doesn't fit anymore etc. A drawer full of glittery and funky nail polishes? What was I thinking? So that is something I've realized but still have to work on. I'm not so delusional to think I won't buy backups anymore or give in when I see a good deal on a product I love, especially when it's LE / being discontinued.
This. All this. Also I've noticed I jump bandwagons too easily. I will "bandwagon love" only to find that I only "sorta like" something. It's kind of a waste. Then as a student moving from the MUCH cheaper deep south to SoCal... I need to save. Spending habits die hard though. lol hate even thinking about it.
I had to tell you I understand about moving from the south to SoCal. I moved from Atlanta to Irvine, CA in 2003. My rent almost doubled for a smaller Apt. It's a huge change in lifestyle, too. There is a lot more pressure to look good and have the "in" things in SoCal. Are you in the OC by chance?

Chuchie

I had to tell you I understand about moving from the south to SoCal. I moved from Atlanta to Irvine, CA in 2003. My rent almost doubled for a smaller Apt. It's a huge change in lifestyle, too. There is a lot more pressure to look good and have the "in" things in SoCal. Are you in the OC by chance?
Oh man, I'm coming from Mississippi going to Santa Barbara... how quickly did you have to adapt?
My housing contract starts in late August and I've found a place relatively "cheap" (by Cali standards) but at the expense of having more roommates that I'm comfortable with. I'm also hesitant about the pressure to "fit in" cause I'm pretty steadfast in my own individuality mostly. Baha. Anyway, I need to be more financially responsible or I'll regret it later.

DarylandCarole

Oh man, I'm coming from Mississippi going to Santa Barbara... how quickly did you have to adapt? My housing contract starts in late August and I've found a place relatively "cheap" (by Cali standards) but at the expense of having more roommates that I'm comfortable with. I'm also hesitant about the pressure to "fit in" cause I'm pretty steadfast in my own individuality mostly. Baha. Anyway, I need to be more financially responsible or I'll regret it later. 
I have never been to Santa Barbara but I've heard it's very unique and very nice. Irvine is right next to Newport Beach which is a very "rich" area, so maybe you won't see as much of the image conscious people as I did. I also worked at a law firm so that didn't help (I'm a techie, not an attorney). I had very little time to adapt, too. I was offered a job and had to go out in less than a month. I flew out for 2 days to see the area and find an Apt. The cost is the biggest downside to SoCal, but there are a bunch of upsides. I loved living there and would not have left if I hadn't lost my job. I let people talk me into moving back to my hometown and I miss Cali A LOT. I was terrified to move out there, but I'm really glad I did. So I hope it will work out well for you. You can definitely still be unique and your own person, that probably even helps. Paint your toenails and carry a designer handbag and you'll still fit in. I never had a designer bag and I still made friends. I would like to keep in touch and know how it goes for you. I understand about roommates, I didn't want any but I should have tried it anyhow. I might still be there if I had! Are you going to UCSB? What made you choose that school? This is a great thread, btw. It will help with the budgeting. I'm sure SB has at least 1 MAC store close by so this will help.

B

Buffy89

Since I can't sleep and the power keeps going out in the whole neighbourhood since yesterday and I spent most of the evening and night sitting here with a candle, I'm going to take advantage of the fact that the internet is working again to eleborate a little on my recent low-buy experiences, lol.

The #1 lesson I've learned is to only buy what I need RIGHT NOW. I think we all know the temptation of buying something because it is on sale or there is a nice gift with purchase or BOGO deal etc. because we feel like we will use it at some point, right? But the reality for me is that in most cases I won't. No matter if it's makeup, skincare or clothes and asseccories. Our needs and taste change - faster than we often think -, trends come and go, and the tank top that we thought would be a great idea to buy multiples of goes out of style or doesn't fit anymore etc. A drawer full of glittery and funky nail polishes? What was I thinking?
So that is something I've realized but still have to work on. I'm not so delusional to think I won't buy backups anymore or give in when I see a good deal on a product I love, especially when it's LE / being discontinued. And fashion-wise, sometimes it's difficult to predict how often we'll really wear something and for how long we'll like it before we feel it's out of style.

I had a tiny reality check today, pretty random, but still. I found an unopened jar of my vitamin supplement (only one I take). I only buy one or two at a time because it expires pretty fast, so I pretty much plan ahead when to repurchase it and how long it's going to last me (have to order it online). So I was really surprised to find an unopened one - which unfortunately had already expired last year - that I couldn't remember at all buying / still having. Made me realize that I want to be more aware of the purchases I make in general. I want to be able to know what I own and not have stuff sitting around in drawers, boxes, bags somewhere that I have forgotten about. I hate that feeling of basically throwing money out of the window.
Your first point really applies to my shopping behavior. The best example in my case is shopping during the sale at the end of a season, e.g. summer clothes in August/September. I won't wear clothes made for hot weather or with "summery" patterns like palm trees or hibiscus flowers in fall, so I really shouldn't purchase them when summer's almost over. Knowing myself, I'll want some new clothes next summer anyway. In May/June it's okay because I stil get a chance to use them, but later in the season, I should just wait for the new fall collections to arrive instead of rushing for more summer items.
Yesterday I splurged on sandals, well I had planned to find a new pair anyway, but I ended up purchasing three. I found them at an inexpensive store (Deichmann for those who know) so I spent 80 Euros for all of them. I really felt like a splurge, but I'm not sorry, lol. I've been wearing Converse and similar shoes since I was a teenager, and just in the last 6-9 months, I've started to be interested in shoes. While my style has changed and become more grown-up in the last few years, my shoes still were some dirty colorful Converse and they kinda mismatched with my clothes (nothing wrong about trainers though, but I guess one can get the point). I'll keep some trainers for rainy days or garden work etc., but I'll purge the rest and I won't purchase new ones.

Oh and re: the expired vitamin supplement: this happens to me all the time with all kinds of food. When there are special offers, I tend to buy stuff "because I might like to eat that sooner or later", but then I totally forget about it. Just found a bunch of pricey Lindt chocolate bars I had purchased in a huge bag (it weighed like 1kg/2 pounds or so) when I was at the outlet center ("OMG it's so cheap I need it"...blah blah), but the vanished in the darkest corner of my drawer. Luckily, their best before date was the end of May, so I tried them and they're still tasty
greengrin.gif
I hate tossing food into the garbage, it always makes me feel bad because I'm throwing it away while others can only afford the simplest/cheapest meals, or even worse. This point is valid for stuff like makeup/clothes as well, I know, but when it comes to food, it's the worst for me.

Chuchie

This is a great thread, btw. It will help with the budgeting. I'm sure SB has at least 1 MAC store close by so this will help.
Hmm, reading your post has calmed my anxiety a bit. Thanks~ I think my "stereotyping" + listening to other around me is what the problem seems to stem from though. And please! I will definitely keep in touch!

And yes, I'm attending UCSB for a doctorate degree. I just finished my Master's and made a promise to move away from the south. While I do enjoy where I am, I feel trapped by the small town mentality and the majority who are content with never "seeing the world". I interviewed in DC, Indiana, LA, and Santa Barbara. Of the four places, UCSB and UCLA were top choices but UCSB ultimately had more positives on my personal list of needs and wants. Plus I found that I am wayyy to used to warm weather to handle DC and Indiana. Lol I remember feeling like a popsicle during my interview.

DMcG9

Hmm, reading your post has calmed my anxiety a bit. Thanks~ I think my "stereotyping" + listening to other around me is what the problem seems to stem from though. And please! I will definitely keep in touch!

And yes, I'm attending UCSB for a doctorate degree. I just finished my Master's and made a promise to move away from the south. While I do enjoy where I am, I feel trapped by the small town mentality and the majority who are content with never "seeing the world". I interviewed in DC, Indiana, LA, and Santa Barbara. Of the four places, UCSB and UCLA were top choices but UCSB ultimately had more positives on my personal list of needs and wants. Plus I found that I am wayyy to used to warm weather to handle DC and Indiana. Lol I remember feeling like a popsicle during my interview.
I think you did the right (and brave) thing to move away from your comfort zone for your PhD. I've tried to do that for my degrees too. I think you will find your niche and be happy.

shellygrrl

Staff member
A FOTD double feature -- one from Friday, one from today. Friday FOTD... * It Cosmetics YSBB CC Cream - Fair * MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer - NW15 * Anastasia Brow Powder Duo - Ash Brown * hair spray on spoolie in lieu of brow gel * NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base * Makeup Geek Eyeshadow - Twilight * Bare Minerals Flawless Definition Mascara - Black * MAC Blush - Strada * Illamasqua Lipstick - Sangers Sunday FOTD... * It Cosmetics YSBB CC Cream - Fair * MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer - NW15 (mixed with OCC Skin Conceal in Y1 to use on blemishes) * Anastasia Brow Powder Duo - Ash Brown * NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base * MAC Paint Pot - Tailor Grey * MAC Eyeshadows - Satin Taupe (on lid) and Copperplate (crease) * Makeup Geek Eyeshadow - Rockstar (inner corner highlight) * UD Eyeshadow - Kinky (depotted from Smoked Palette; used to blend out harsh edges near brows) * Bare Minerals Flawless Definition Mascara - Black * NARS Blush - Sex Fantasy * NARS Satin Lip Pencil - Lodhi

Twinkle_Twinkle

Still no new makeup for me! I returned quite a few things and did a partial exchange for the Super Goop UV Defense Refresher Spray but I don't count that as a cosmetic purchase or even a frivolous beauty purchase.

DarylandCarole

This is a great thread, btw. It will help with the budgeting. I'm sure SB has at least 1 MAC store close by so this will help.

i completely understand about the small-town mentality! Most of my family is like that - they've never lived more than 15 minutes from where we grew up. i can't comprehend that. I'm glad I've moved around and I'm hoping to be moving again soon. Moving back to my hometown was a huge mistake. There is so much to be experienced in the world. I won't go ob in public posts but i'll def keep in touch.

Anaphora

I've started seeing a psychologist for my anxiety and mood issues, which in turn has really helped my buying.  I did one last big buy with the MAC $10 off $50 code - some fluidlines and also a concealer that I needed.  I'm honestly pretty happy with my makeup collection right now and am starting to purge on the Clearance Bin to try to recouperate some of my money.  Ugh.

mel33t

I've started seeing a psychologist for my anxiety and mood issues, which in turn has really helped my buying.  I did one last big buy with the MAC$10 off $50 code - some fluidlines and also a concealer that I needed.  I'm honestly pretty happy with my makeup collection right now and am starting to purge on the Clearance Bin to try to recouperate some of my money.  Ugh.
That's awesome that your psychologist was helpful for you. I went a few weeks ago and while it wasn't enjoyable for me I had a "look at the bigger picture" moment. Which is probably why I stepped off of Specktra for a bit, I needed a break from everything.

kerry-jane88

Hey guys Kerry checking in! I've been at my job at a pub/restaurant for a month now and it's been a big help in cutting down my beauty spending! I'm so busy I don't sit and shop online the way I used to and when I do have time off Usually the last thing I want to do is stare at my fone or a pc screen! It's also showed me what I really need from my beauty products - natural cheek colours that won't look out of place one they start to fade and hydrating lip products for example. After an 8 hour shift with no mirror touch up breaks I've been able to weed out plenty of products that haven't made the cut! Surprisingly a lot of these have been Mac lipsticks - without touching them up with lipbalm I've found most of them drying!