Resolution "LOW-BUY" 2015

B

Buffy89

@Glitteryvegas yaaaayyyy for paying off the credit card!
cheerleader.gif
I guess it feels great to see what one can achieve sticking to their goals! Btw, I love to hear that you and your husband are such a great team! Sounds really motivating.
(Luckily, credit cards aren't really a big thing here - I guess my splurging would have been even worse if I had used it for makeup and stuff. I somethimes use my regular card (the one for the cash machine) when I order stuff or when I haven't got enough cash with me, but that's it. The credit card is sitting in a drawer and only designated for holidays abroad/booking flights etc.)

re: the wedding: personally, I wouldn't have a bad conscience purchasing a waterproof mascara or some clothing items you'll need. It's your bro's wedding so it's a very special occasion and needn't reflect your usual shopping behavior, I think. Like those "cheat meals" people on diets are allowed to eat, lol. Some waterproof mascara absolutely makes sense to me! You could share a fresh tube with your mom and let her take it home afterwards, so you won't have new clutter at your home and it'll be like purchasing a gift for your mom. Just a silly tube of mascara, some might say, but I totally get your point especially you've succeeded in your no buy!
Have fun at the wedding!

dodotheextinct

I thought about it for awhile and I'm fine with it since I was planning to buy it at full price and didn't.

I'm not doing this in a restrictive, punitive manner. Nope, not worth it- and all it will do is make me incredibly resentful, angry, and result in an epic binge.

One in/one out isn't at all practical for me but I will have a finished eyeshadow here in a week or so. I've been on pan for a couple of months already- I will have finished every bit of it up. Overall, I'm doing well. I'm thinking about my fall purchases and honestly evaluating potential purchases vs my current collection. If I can dupe it, I can skip it. If I can't, it goes on a list to continue thinking about. And I figure I'll rack and stack and allow myself only a couple of items. I don't have an exact number, I'l look at my budget.

I did stock up at Ulta and cashed in my points. I walked away with a T3 Featherweight 2i for.... wait for it... $0.54!!!! Most epic haul ever.

I've made a couple of other small purchases lately, including an item that should've been on my original "don't worry about it" list. I've mostly been cashing in B2M, recycling at Kiehl's, and Plenti points so these are freebies. I've also been debating some of these for a long, long time.

It's good that you know what strategies works for you and what doesn't.

That is an amazing price for the T3. You are doing great! Keep up the good work. :)

starletta8

Thanks!

I've also been participating in the theme makeup challenges, so it's forcing me to rotate through the entirety of my collection pretty well. I feel like I may be able to purge in a couple of months- if I haven't used it during the challenges, do I really still need it?

mel33t

Good for you on the low buy girl, sounds like you have a lot of positive things going on here.  Your net reduction is going well, it does take a while to figure out what you're willing to use up, what needs to be thrown out, what can be passed on, etc.  Stick with it!   OUCH about the roof!!  How are things going now??!  UGHHH that sounds super annoying, hope things have picked up since then!  Hey @burghchick  - The struggle when you're grieving is so real.  How have you been feeling?  It takes such a long time.  For us it was months and months of such sadness, I truly hope you are finding an effective way to communicate and deal with your sadness.  For us, it was just talking about our loss and a simple acknowledgment that we were sad (sometimes just saying it out loud) or frustrated or angry about our loss.  I also bought a pandora charm for our little girl (two actually!) and even though I don't wear it often (I find pandoras get in the way of typing, etc for work) knowing that I commemorated my loss helped.  I also printed off some pictures of her and I am still meaning to put a few in frames.  I think a bit of retail therapy is completely acceptable and normal.  You'll never be 'over it' as it's a huge void in your life, but you can come to terms with your loss by speaking about it with people that you trust.  I think also finding a way to be involved with animals may help....it took us a year to adopt again, but I sent in a story to our local shelter's magazine about our Suzie and that was so great for me.  It was helpful to share our love for her with others.  I'll DM you the article so you can see what I mean.  The loss that you're feeling is so vivid right now and will lessen but never go away completely.  I'm thinking of you girl!!!   I LOVE THIS. Lots of great reminders in here!!  YES about tastes changing, I'm finding that too.  I find that I buy things with such good intentions (vitamins are a great example lol) & then I don't use it right away and put it somewhere.  Makeup is also a good example of doing this.  I have found that doing regular purges and having a spreadsheet for my makeup has helped immensely.  I get a little self conscious though that I need a spreadsheet for my makeup (like seriously....who needs that lol....ME!), but being able to see what I have so quickly (and how much I've given away!!!) has really helped. Thanks so much for sharing all of this with us, I loved your post!        WHEW!!! What a great post, lots of indepth thinking/reporting here and of course, self reflection.  Looks like you've conquered a lot so far this year and really kept yourself accountable.  Love it, way to go!!!  As for me, I have a lot of news! In June, I paid off my credit card!!! It was seriously SO EXCITING.  I may have gone to my car, called hubs and cried.  We were both so happy.  I can't even remember the last time it was paid in full - it's been years.  Now I have like three manageable bills that go through on it and that will be paid in full every month, as it's built into my budget to pay for those expenses.  No more shopping sprees, trips, etc put onto the card.  I keep getting notices to increase my limit too (the girl at the bank when I paid it off offered me an increase BAHAHAHAHA).  They make me laugh.   That has really recharged my focus to pay down my LOC debt.  Husband is really helping me too, so it's a team effort.  We are both doing really well with our no buys.  I still haven't bought ANY makeup, which is seriously so exciting.  I think I told you guys that my mom bought me the MAC 15 pan palette and Miley Viva gloss for Easter - those are the last makeup items I've rec'd and I've spent $0 on makeup this year.  I truly didn't think I'd make it this far. I remember a time when I couldn't last a week.  I love reading all of your updates, because it sounds like we are really moving forward in this thread.  Sometimes it's one step back, but the momentum is forward!!!    Hubs bought us a juicer with his OT money & we consider that a 'health' purchase, not a 'fun' purchase (even though it is fun to get into shape and be healthy lol!).  I've bought a few starbucks here and there (one to celebrate paying off the CC!!!), but overall we're still sticking to it - no eating out.  We are doing so good with our year, I'm proud of us.   One thing that we've given up is the TV limitations.  That one seriously was terrible.  I'd like to watch less, for sure...but right now, it's getting us through.  One thing at a time, I guess.  I have to celebrate my victories as they happen, rather than focusing on what we aren't doing.  Big bro is getting married this month, so there's been temptations there for sure.  My mom bought me a beautiful dress and it's tempting to go all out (accessories, shoes, etc).  I'm still toying with the idea of buying a second outfit (it's going to be HELLA hot and it's casual...so for pics I'll wear my dress, but I'm thinking of changing after).  I was going to buy a pair of dressy shorts and a top....but the other day i went to the shops and I didn't buy anything.  Then UNDER MY BED I found a rubbermaid box of SUMMER CLOTHES.  Seriously.  With black dressy shorts in it.  YAY!!!! I may still buy a new top, but I think I'm going to just keep the black shorts/shoes I have and use those and bring some flip flops to change into.  I keep thinking to myself - will buying a new pair of shoes matter in a year?  Do I need the shoes?  Can I get around buying this thing?  My whole mindset is so different now.  I feel renewed and positive.  It's really liberating.   In makeup matters, for the wedding it's getting 'complicated' lol. I'm not a waterproof mascara girl, so all my stuff seriously climbs down my face if I cry.  And I'll probably cry during my bro's wedding.   So herein lies the problem.  I'm doing my own makeup and my mom doesn't have waterproof mascara.  I have mini disposable wands, so that was my plan - use hers.  Now I'm like AHHH What am I going to do?  I guess I could just try not to cry.  Lol.  I'm really hoping to make it all year w/o buying any products, so this is kinda bumming me out lol.  Suggestions are welcome!!! Hope ya'll are having a GREAT Summer and getting in a lot of R&R as well as decluttering, saving, and playing with our well loved products!!!     
Do you have false lashes? Skip the mascara and just wear those :) or even some clear brow gel.

veronikawithak

Great to see you @PixieDancer! So glad to hear that you're doing so well. :) And @Glitteryvegas, you are doing amazing!! Keep it up!

Oh man.. it's been almost a month since I posted here last! I swear I've been reading and following along, but things have been so crazy I haven't had the time to sit down and post myself.

I started a new job and we're moving into our new apartment this month so there have been quite a few expenses. In a nutshell: clothing for work, fitness clothing & membership, summer clothing, bikes, furniture. You name it. We've also been eating out more often since our living situation doesn't lend itself to eating at home quite as easily - we're doing our best though, and once we actually get our apartment it will be better.

On the fitness front, I completed my 30 day membership and worked out about 25 times during that. I didn't purchase another monthly membership because they're so expensive and I don't have as much time now that I'm working, but I did get a punch card so I can go once a week or so and supplement that with biking and using the gym in our building.

Makeup.. I used a return credit I had at Sephora to get a replacement mascara to start in October, and one of the new lip souffles from Becca. Not too bad, those were my only makeup purchases for the month of June. Haven't purchased anything this month. Also, my total spending for the year is less than what I spent last year in January alone! Things are moving along nicely. I also started another 100 day No Buy challenge at the beginning of the month and I haven't slipped up yet. :)

As for the budget, it's not going so well but it is just the first week. I've started checking the Mint app a lot more regularly as well as actually making defined budgets for every little area of spending I could think of. It helps to see the green/red bars as a mental cue to adjust the spending. Right away, I can see that I've been over-spending on shopping and eating out. I'm going to see what my regular paycheck will be over the next month. I know my salary but I want to see how much will be deducted and what the exact net amount will be so I can plan a more detailed budget - right now I've just estimated. My plan is to put half of my pay every two weeks on debts right away, 10% in savings (building up an "emergency fund" so I don't have to use my credit card for unexpected things) right away, and the rest should cover expenses for the month.. in theory anyway. July-October I'm focusing on establishing good spending habits so that when my repayment period starts on my student loan I won't even have to worry about it.

I think that's it for now.. I'll try to check in with everyone more regularly!

DMcG9

Great to see you @PixieDancer! So glad to hear that you're doing so well. :) And @Glitteryvegas, you are doing amazing!! Keep it up!

Oh man.. it's been almost a month since I posted here last! I swear I've been reading and following along, but things have been so crazy I haven't had the time to sit down and post myself.

I started a new job and we're moving into our new apartment this month so there have been quite a few expenses. In a nutshell: clothing for work, fitness clothing & membership, summer clothing, bikes, furniture. You name it. We've also been eating out more often since our living situation doesn't lend itself to eating at home quite as easily - we're doing our best though, and once we actually get our apartment it will be better.

On the fitness front, I completed my 30 day membership and worked out about 25 times during that. I didn't purchase another monthly membership because they're so expensive and I don't have as much time now that I'm working, but I did get a punch card so I can go once a week or so and supplement that with biking and using the gym in our building.

Makeup.. I used a return credit I had at Sephora to get a replacement mascara to start in October, and one of the new lip souffles from Becca. Not too bad, those were my only makeup purchases for the month of June. Haven't purchased anything this month. Also, my total spending for the year is less than what I spent last year in January alone! Things are moving along nicely. I also started another 100 day No Buy challenge at the beginning of the month and I haven't slipped up yet. :)

As for the budget, it's not going so well but it is just the first week. I've started checking the Mint app a lot more regularly as well as actually making defined budgets for every little area of spending I could think of. It helps to see the green/red bars as a mental cue to adjust the spending. Right away, I can see that I've been over-spending on shopping and eating out. I'm going to see what my regular paycheck will be over the next month. I know my salary but I want to see how much will be deducted and what the exact net amount will be so I can plan a more detailed budget - right now I've just estimated. My plan is to put half of my pay every two weeks on debts right away, 10% in savings (building up an "emergency fund" so I don't have to use my credit card for unexpected things) right away, and the rest should cover expenses for the month.. in theory anyway. July-October I'm focusing on establishing good spending habits so that when my repayment period starts on my student loan I won't even have to worry about it.

I think that's it for now.. I'll try to check in with everyone more regularly!
Sounds like a good plan, V! That awkward phase between moving homes and starting new jobs is always a bit of a financial glut for me too. I know you'll be settled soon enough and right back into the great habits you've trained yourself into.
Today, I applied for a job that advertised a need for candidates who had command of basically every industry-specific skill I have so I was pretty pumped just to be in a position (health-wise) to apply. It's the first great posting I've seen in my industry for a while and comes at a time when I am starting to really feel physically well again. Even if I do not get this job (which also means relocating to a new city and some other adjustments) it gave me a real self-confidence boost to know that I have overcome this psychological hurdle (beginning to apply for jobs) for regaining my life and the career trajectory I was on before being rudely interrupted. I felt that not applying for a job that screamed my name would have been a major disservice to myself.

Chuchie

As for me, I have a lot of news!

In June, I paid off my credit card!!! It was seriously SO EXCITING. I may have gone to my car, called hubs and cried. We were both so happy. I can't even remember the last time it was paid in full - it's been years. Now I have like three manageable bills that go through on it and that will be paid in full every month, as it's built into my budget to pay for those expenses. No more shopping sprees, trips, etc put onto the card. I keep getting notices to increase my limit too (the girl at the bank when I paid it off offered me an increase BAHAHAHAHA). They make me laugh.

That has really recharged my focus to pay down my LOC debt. Husband is really helping me too, so it's a team effort. We are both doing really well with our no buys. I still haven't bought ANY makeup, which is seriously so exciting. I think I told you guys that my mom bought me the MAC 15 pan palette and Miley Viva gloss for Easter - those are the last makeup items I've rec'd and I've spent $0 on makeup this year. I truly didn't think I'd make it this far. I remember a time when I couldn't last a week. I love reading all of your updates, because it sounds like we are really moving forward in this thread. Sometimes it's one step back, but the momentum is forward!!!

Hubs bought us a juicer with his OT money & we consider that a 'health' purchase, not a 'fun' purchase (even though it is fun to get into shape and be healthy lol!). I've bought a few starbucks here and there (one to celebrate paying off the CC!!!), but overall we're still sticking to it - no eating out. We are doing so good with our year, I'm proud of us.
Congrats on your credit card! I know the freedom you get from it! I am still paying a hospital bill I put on my credit card after surgery. It's funny because I have insurance and yet I still need to pay upwards of $3,000. Though I shouldn't complain since I don't have to pay the full amount of those expenses. But regardless, I plan on paying the rest of that bill by Christmas. Since I'm a student without a job (only a stipend), they let me get away with putting up chump change (about $50-100) each month... mind you this surgery happened in 2013. Slow and steady right? ^_^

Anyway, I'd love to know how your juicing is going. And what veggies you love to juice. I always see people juicing things like beets and eggplants and I can't understand how that could be good. I am so tempted to invest in an entry level juicer. Before, I would make green smoothies using a blender but really hated the grittiness of the bits that didn't blend completely.

VAL4M

Again for inspiration on our Low Buy ladies....

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/vancouver-woman-blogs-about-her-yearlong-shopping-ban-201645124.html

Oh and PS i'm doing very badly :(
the only upside is that I still have no balance on my credit card .... need to stay at 0$ owing! So totally with you @Glitteryvegas
feel good to have NOTHING owing on your credit card! Dept free baby!!!
But instead of spending my money on makeup i'm spending it on perfume argh!!!
Anywho
I purchase the first peace of clothing since september 2014!!! I'm down 23pounds and still have 15 pounds to loose after baby #2 (his going to be 3 months old July 14th) so I told myself no buy for clothing until I loose all the way but it was a lovely dress and I know it will still look good on me after loosing the last 15 pounds and I wanted something cute for the christening so that how I convinced myself this lovely dress made by a local designer at 40% off was a good buy.
yes.gif

veronikawithak

Today, I applied for a job that advertised a need for candidates who had command of basically every industry-specific skill I have so I was pretty pumped just to be in a position (health-wise) to apply. It's the first great posting I've seen in my industry for a while and comes at a time when I am starting to really feel physically well again. Even if I do not get this job (which also means relocating to a new city and some other adjustments) it gave me a real self-confidence boost to know that I have overcome this psychological hurdle (beginning to apply for jobs) for regaining my life and the career trajectory I was on before being rudely interrupted. I felt that not applying for a job that screamed my name would have been a major disservice to myself.
Very true. I had planned for July to be my budget test month so realistically I wouldn't have started to crack down much until August anyway. That's really exciting! You definitely have to take risks sometimes.. especially when you read a job description and immediately think of yourself! That's how I got my current position as well. Thinking positive thoughts for you!
Quote: Originally Posted by Chuchie
I say that's an AMAZING feat! Aha, I couldn't imagine taking only one month of spending and stretching it over 6 months. Though I've noticed most of the unaccountable spending goes into buying food everyday. Like I'll stop for just chips, and later on decide I might want popcorn for a snack, and then decide I don't know what I want to eat so I buy a variety of meals to cook and don't end up cooking at all for dinner. Aha. My freezer is going to bust soon.
Yeah that's just for makeup.. the rest of my spending is not in check yet! Food is bad for me too... exactly the same patterns. Right now I'm mostly snacking and eating out since we're temporarily in an older apartment with a tiny fridge that doesn't keep produce well. That's one of the next areas I'll be working on!

shellygrrl

Staff member
Big bro is getting married this month, so there's been temptations there for sure.  My mom bought me a beautiful dress and it's tempting to go all out (accessories, shoes, etc).  I'm still toying with the idea of buying a second outfit (it's going to be HELLA hot and it's casual...so for pics I'll wear my dress, but I'm thinking of changing after).  I was going to buy a pair of dressy shorts and a top....but the other day i went to the shops and I didn't buy anything.  Then UNDER MY BED I found a rubbermaid box of SUMMER CLOTHES.  Seriously.  With black dressy shorts in it.  YAY!!!! I may still buy a new top, but I think I'm going to just keep the black shorts/shoes I have and use those and bring some flip flops to change into.  I keep thinking to myself - will buying a new pair of shoes matter in a year?  Do I need the shoes?  Can I get around buying this thing?  My whole mindset is so different now.  I feel renewed and positive.  It's really liberating.   In makeup matters, for the wedding it's getting 'complicated' lol. I'm not a waterproof mascara girl, so all my stuff seriously climbs down my face if I cry.  And I'll probably cry during my bro's wedding.   So herein lies the problem.  I'm doing my own makeup and my mom doesn't have waterproof mascara.  I have mini disposable wands, so that was my plan - use hers.  Now I'm like AHHH What am I going to do?  I guess I could just try not to cry.  Lol.  I'm really hoping to make it all year w/o buying any products, so this is kinda bumming me out lol.  Suggestions are welcome!!!
False lashes is a good suggestion (if you have any), and you would retain your ongoing no-buy. Barring that, I think you may need to bite the bullet, pause your no-buy, and get yourself and your mom some waterproof mascara. It is a need, after all.

Alysse011

I've really been enjoying catching up on everyone's posts! Congrats to those who are striking great bargains by shopping smart and everyone who has been able to pay off credit cards! Those are great feelings! I still have a pretty decent handle on shopping. It's so much easier now for me to make a list of things I am interested in and then wait on it. Impulsive shopping has definitely improved. Early access to Nordstrom's sale started, and I do think I'm going to purchase 2 items - a pair of sandals and some yoga pants. Earlier this year was much rougher for me. I had a death in the family weeks after breaking up with my boyfriend of 3 years. I definitely spent like crazy around that time, but I stopped beating myself up over it and just reigned it in instead. Recently I've been having a bit of anxiety over a fear of being alone forever. Even when I type it out I feel so silly that I even feel that way, but oh well...can't always control your fears. I think it's just because my boyfriend and I broke up in January and I haven't been interested in anyone since then. Thats only 6 months, but I don't know. It still feels long lol. This is quickly digressing so I'll wrap it up. Basically, even though I'm having a bit of anxiety over the future, I'm happy that I'm not "self medicating" by spending! That's something to be happy about I think.

Alysse011

Oh! Also, weighing in on the eyelash issue. I think false lashes are a very creative way to get around that. Otherwise, go for a drugstore waterproof mascara. I know that you are trying to not purchase those types of items for a year (which is amazing!), but in this instance that could be seen as a necessity. Especially if you're fairly certain you'll cry. If you're worried about it causing you to breakdown and shop, maybe you could give the money to a friend or your mom to see if they can pick it up for you. I only say that because I'm not sure if you're worried about it triggering a habit.

DMcG9

If you're worried about it causing you to breakdown and shop, maybe you could give the money to a friend or your mom to see if they can pick it up for you. I only say that because I'm not sure if you're worried about it triggering a habit.
I find drugstore brands for waterproof mascara are great and I do a lot of swimming with them (I use L'Oreal Voluminous Waterproof and recently was recommended the GOSH Waterproof Mascara as an alternative. I find it to be equally good, though the brush style is a different from the L'Oreal one which is fluffier). Beyond this wedding weekend, you can probably use waterproof mascara for summer outings that might put you near or in the water if that's something you do in your spare time? I see waterproof mascara as a seasonal/activity based purchase so depending on what you do with your spare time, you might find it's ok to purchase this tube of mascara because it can fulfill a duty beyond one day.

singer82

I haven't been on here much either. So good to see you pixie! :hug: Congrats on your career adventures so very happy for you. :cheer: Update: Me and the hubbs are trying to get things paid off. A lot of it being my credit card debt. It's been holding me back from so much. Oh the things we do in our 20s smh. He's been working two jobs and of course I'm still working too just not as much as him. And they are both physically demanding jobs, one being his own business. He's a rockstar don't know how he does it! So I need to start to take it easy on makeup. When I go to Vegas It's the only time I really splurge on clothes n such. But I did pretty good in the makeup department! I didn't get anything from the MAC store at all. And only got a few essentials at sephora (except the Marc Jacobs liner. They are so awesome I want more!) But I slipped and bought 3 of the GB lippies this week lol. But I've taken it easy so far this year on MAC. And none of the up and coming collections are grabbing me...yet. Now winter/holiday time is my weakness! That will be hard. Anyways that's what's going on with me glad to be back! Excited to join my low buy peeps again :bigheart:
Awwwwww! Hey my sweet girlies!  I've been missing you guys too!  I HAVE been super busy... work work work. And of course, raising the silly kiddo!  Hope you ladies are all doing well and having much success with your 2015 low-buys!  I'll try to peak in more often! Here's my update!!!  I have tried to stay away for fear of the "sucking in and buying too much" that sometimes gets ahold of us on Specktra! SOOOOO glad to see that many of you are still commited to your goals and trying to low-buy!  I think my first go-around with this little experimnent back in 2014 was a HUGE success!  For the most part I don't freak out or even keep up with all the new LE craziness.  I've found that I feel much less stressed with my makeup when I find things I LOVE that I can get anytime I want rather than chasing that LE high just to feel let down when I couldn't get something, or even worse, when I WAS able to get the things I wanted but they fell short of my expectations.  I did recently get a few more of the Huggables, since I loved that formula so much last year.  But I know I'll use them all!  I also got several of the new MUFE Artist Shadows, but I KNOW they will make it easy peasy to let some of those MAC shadows go that just don't make the cut against these for me. I need to get around to doing another purge now that I'm feeling better about not getting the LE goodies... I think it will be easier for me to let some of the ones I don't use go now.  I'm sure I'll be appalled by the quantity I let go, but at least I'm not just replacing it now with more.  I have way more makeup than I (or 50+) could go through in a lifetime most likely.  I am keeping really busy with my career and just wrapped my new movie project where I was the lead actress AND did makeup on set too... so it was really nice to use some of my kit again and pass on some valuable info to some actresses that didn't have the knowledge I've accumulated by being a makeup lover and "collector" for so long.  It was really cool to feel like I was passing on info and using up some good products that I would probably end up throwing away.  I also passed on lots of products I knew looked good on some of the other girls but I never really reached for often.  Feels good to let go and be happier with my stash because it's stuff I LOVE!   I'll check back with everyone soon!  Keep up the great work!!!
Have been for way too long I missed everyone! But I actually have done pretty well so far this year.

MzBrownBeauty

Hey everyone! After this evening, I realized I needed to start being on a low buy. I bought a new car last week after not having a car payment for a while....I have to start being more conscious of the money I spend..... And to top things off I've changed my entire diet no sugar, no dairy, no grains, just air and water (joking) and now no shopping.....Ouch!?! :thud:

Audrey C

Congrats to those getting rid of credit card debt; credit is very readily available and it's very easy to get in over your head. It takes concerted, sustained effort to be rid of it. I haven't run a balance in many years, but I remember how good it felt to make our last mortgage payment and finally not owe anyone on the planet a nickel. I then focused on building up a healthy emergency fund. Until you're there, you don't realize how much stress that removes from life. We're over the hump and there are no wolves at the door. No matter what (barring a war or other world event out of our control), no one can ever take our home away.

I'm a lot older than most of you, but it's the actions that you take in your 20s and 30s that allow you to get on solid financial footing. We aren't going to have our parents and grandparents lifetime pensions; you have to start saving early. It's hard to step off the mindless consumption train, but unless you're earning solid six figures, it's the only way to live debt free and still save.

Don't give up. It's not true that 'everyone is in debt'. No makeup purchase is worth derailing your security over.

Now that the lecture is over, back to my own vices. ;)

I just ordered UD Naked Smoky with my VIB renewal code. I have very few greys in my collection (Smoke & Diamonds and Silver Ring) and a couple of near greys that I've been enjoying lately (Sex and the Oyster, Moth Brown) so this doesn't feel like overkill. I like that there are satins and mattes in the palette that I know I'll mix with other favourites, and I love UD's base shimmer shades like Sin, Sidecar, Burnout and Liar) so I'm happy to have a few more. If it turns out that I don't love it, I will return it with no regrets whatsoever.

I'm really not buying much makeup any more because I don't need anything, but I knew as soon as I saw this that I'd be getting it.I bought four Huggables back when they launched and got a couple of MAC lipsticks this winter, but other that than I've really just replaced staples this year. Even the lippies are really just replacements. I prefer soft, creamy lipsticks now and they get used up a lot quicker. I used Shoppers Drugmart points to get Guerlain blush pearls this winter as well. I've had to replace foundation (Bobbi Brown BB cream), MAC blot powder, concealer and I've gone through a few mascaras. I never buy mascara but use deluxe samples all the time, so I never pay for it. I'm not sure what I've spent this year, but certainly a lot less than I have for the last few years. Hm…a foundation, six lippies, an e/s palette, powder, concealer…maybe $350? Probably well above what most women spend, but I'm ok with this level of buying. I'm definitely not on track to renew VIB rouge. I did make VIB again, but that's more to do with skincare and Clarisonic pads. I can't see myself getting anywhere near $1000, although I will stock up on staples again during the fall VIB event and always end up getting my girls some Christmas gifts (a palette, Fresh lip sets, etc). I'm enjoying not being on the bandwagon any more.

I've hit pan on a few e/s lately too (Orb, All That Glitters, Jete, more of the LM Artist palette) and am close to hitting pan on a couple of N3 shades.

I still have my spreadsheet and track usage and am conscious of rotating through most of what I have every month. I could certainly live with far fewer e/s, but I have fun with them and typically use about five shades a day.

I feel good about where I am. I'm sure I could take out half my blush and e/s and not miss them much, but that doesn't incent me to further downsize. With the exception of the Guerlain blush pearls (freebie), I haven't bought a blush since 2014 (Pink Cult and two HG Ambient blush). I'm finally starting to see sizeable dips in quite a few of my MAC blush. I discovered Guerlain bronzers and face powders last year, but I have enough now. I'm glad I splurged on them because they get a lot of wear, but I won't need to replace any of them for at least a couple of years.

Probable purchases for the rest of the year:
Buy backup MUFE HD foundation (winter foundation) during Sephora sale
Buy backup Bobbi Brown BB cream (summer foundation) during Sephora sale
Replace Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage palette (clasp is broken so it doesn't click closed - I've used more than half so I'll just get a new one) during Sephora sale
Buy backup Anastasia Brow Powder (maybe - I have deep dips in both shades but it's hard to tell whether I have another year left) during Sephora sale
MAC CSG holiday set (one or two)
Replace MAC Mineralize concealer
1-2 holiday sets if there's something I really want (maybe UD Ocho Loco 3 to share with daughters)

Hope everyone is doing well. :)

shellygrrl

Staff member
FOTD... * Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer (I'm not 100% sure, but I think I may've finished my little bottle) * NARS Sheer Glow - Siberia * MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer - NW15 * OCC Skin Conceal - Y1 * Anastasia Brow Powder Duo - Ash Brown * NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base * MAC Paint Pot - Tailor Grey * MAC Eyeshadow - Woodwinked * Makeup Geek Eyeshadow - Hipster * Bare Minerals Flawless Definition Mascara - Black * The Body Shop Honey Bronze Bronzing Powder - 02 Fair * NARS Blush - Sex Appeal * MAC Lipstick - Viva Glam II

starletta8

Congrats to those getting rid of credit card debt; credit is very readily available and it's very easy to get in over your head. It takes concerted, sustained effort to be rid of it. I haven't run a balance in many years, but I remember how good it felt to make our last mortgage payment and finally not owe anyone on the planet a nickel. I then focused on building up a healthy emergency fund. Until you're there, you don't realize how much stress that removes from life. We're over the hump and there are no wolves at the door. No matter what (barring a war or other world event out of our control), no one can ever take our home away.

I'm a lot older than most of you, but it's the actions that you take in your 20s and 30s that allow you to get on solid financial footing. We aren't going to have our parents and grandparents lifetime pensions; you have to start saving early. It's hard to step off the mindless consumption train, but unless you're earning solid six figures, it's the only way to live debt free and still save.

Don't give up. It's not true that 'everyone is in debt'. No makeup purchase is worth derailing your security over.

Now that the lecture is over, back to my own vices. ;)

I applaud you for being totally out of debt- even on your mortgage. I haven't carried a credit card balance since I was a college student (somewhere along the 12-14 years ago timeframe) and have already paid off my student loans. I look forward to the day when I own my home, but it will be a couple of decades for that!

I have to agree with everything you've said 100%.

(I have a rule: makeup purchases are cash/debit/prepaid card only- depending on website/in-person. That way there's 0 debt associated with makeup, even temporary.)

VAL4M

Probable purchases for the rest of the year:
Buy backup MUFE HD foundation (winter foundation) during Sephora sale
Buy backup Bobbi Brown BB cream (summer foundation) during Sephora sale
Replace Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage palette (clasp is broken so it doesn't click closed - I've used more than half so I'll just get a new one) during Sephora sale
Buy backup Anastasia Brow Powder (maybe - I have deep dips in both shades but it's hard to tell whether I have another year left) during Sephora sale
MAC CSG holiday set (one or two)
Replace MAC Mineralize concealer
1-2 holiday sets if there's something I really want (maybe UD Ocho Loco 3 to share with daughters)

Hope everyone is doing well. :)
Hey me clasp broke too! :( look like those are prone to brake! I too hit a lot of pan on both shade, I will keep using it until it is really dry and not useable

Audrey C

Hey me clasp broke too! :( look like those are prone to brake! I too hit a lot of pan on both shade, I will keep using it until it is really dry and not useable
That's disappointing to hear. I don't like having to replace a cream product simply because the faulty packaging causes it to dry out (although mine hasn't started to). I'm contenting myself that it's probably time away. I think I've had it about a year at this point.