Resolution "LOW-BUY" 2015

veronikawithak

My 100 days are up so I made my first makeup purchases in over three months today! I actually stuck to my wishlist, and even cut a couple of things off:

• 2 lipsticks (to replace 4 that were used up)
  • 1 blush (to replace 1 that was used up)
  • 1 lip balm (to replace 1 that was used up)
  • 1 lip exfoliate (new - I wanted one in stick form because if I have to dig into a pot I won't do it and my lips need it)
  • 1 mascara (to replace 2 that expired)
  • 1 eyeshadow primer (to replace 1 that I tossed because it wasn't working for me anymore)

I still have 3 lipsticks that I'm close to using up and some more samples to go through before I declutter a bit more and do a year-end inventory, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with my current stash. Only having a handful of lipsticks at a time has changed my perspective on a lot of things.

shellygrrl

Staff member
I did get a couple of items from MACnificent Me, plus a permanent eyeshadow. October may be a makeup no-buy month for me, methinks. :nods:

B

Buffy89

I was at my counter to have a look at the Macnificent Me collection, but apparently it won't be available there, which is weird. Because ordering online without having tested the products is against my low-buy rules, I will skip entirely if that info is true. I did pick up the Burgundy x9 palette because I still had some money from my September "fun budget" and I've been lurking around that palette for so long because it was out of stock. Reviews are great as well and - believe it or not - I don't own many warm eyeshadows yet. The tiny pans don't bother me because I hardly hit pan on eyeshadow anyway.

Alysse011

Hi everyone! I'm so glad to hear how well we are collectively doing on our goals! I haven't posted here in months, but it's mostly because I would inevitably end up having a peak in other threads and would buy something. I haven't purchased any makeup items in 1.5 months now. That's pretty huge for me considering where I was this time last year, and even earlier this year. Also, September was my birthday month and I was able to purchase nothing (even with bday month discount codes and "gifts" being emailed to me). I did recently purchase a pair of Sam Edelman booties, but I'm actually pretty thrilled with them. Nordstrom agreed to price match Bloomingdale's F&F sale for me PLUS I used a Nordstrom note. It was a good shopping moment haha. I currently have a BCBG dress and new pair of jeans on my wish list, but I'm letting myself marinate on those things before pulling the trigger. As for makeup, im not really tempted at all by anything at the moment. It's weird, because I used to really struggle with not buying things. And then it's like I just one day I woke up and a switch had been flipped and it was suddenly so easy. I didn't really expect that to happen haha. Anyway, I'm going to go read everyones posts more thoroughly now!

shellygrrl

Staff member
FOTD... * mix of MUFE Ultra HD - Y205 + NARS Sheer Glow - Siberia * OCC Skin Conceal - Y0 and Y1 * Anastasia Brow Powder Duo - Ash Brown * NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base * MAC Paint Pot - Nice Composure * MAC Eyeshadows - Malt (above crease) and Typographic (lashlines) * Bare Minerals Flawless Definition Mascara - Black * MAC Blush - Next to Skin * NARS Satin Lip Pencil - Rikugien

shellygrrl

Staff member
October makeup no-buy still going strong for me. Now for a FOTD... * Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer (across nose and between brows) * MUFE Step 1 - Hydrating Primer (below cheekbones and on chin; this was from a little sample packet that I got with the next product) * MUFE Ultra HD Foundation - Y205 * MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer - NW15 * Anastasia Brow Powder Duo - Ash Brown * NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base * Victoria's Secret eyeshadow - Bunny * Makeup Geek Eyeshadow - Hipster * Prestige True Khol Kajal - Matte Black * Bare Minerals Flawless Definition Mascara - Black * MAC Blush - Next to Skin (contour) * The Body Shop Honey Bronze Bronzing Powder - 02 * NYX Slim Lip Pencil - Plum

VAL4M

* NYX Slim Lip Pencil - Plum
thmbup.gif
Good for you Shelly!
I'm failing miserably ... I'm wondering if I should do like a diet, you know forget about it and start new January 1st.
Not that I buy a lot of it, I just buy expensive stuff argh!

B

Buffy89

:bigthumb:  Good for you Shelly!  I'm failing miserably ... I'm wondering if I should do like a diet, you know forget about it and start new January 1st. Not that I buy a lot of it, I just buy expensive stuff argh!
:cheer: it's okay to fail sometimes, but it's more important to get on track again! If I were you, I wouldn't wait till January (if I can take your words literally). You can do it!!! and yayyy [@]shellygrrl[/@] !!! At the moment, I'm having a hard time as well. My last non-staple makeup purchase was the Burgundy x9 palette on October 1st, but I'm having a darn stressful time right now and I can really notice how I'm craving for makeup...and crisps (which is even worse). Luckily, the Macnificent Me collection I had been waiting for did not show up at my counter yet (I'm having doubts whether it's gonna show up here at all) and at least I'm staying really strong because I will not order anything online. Ordering stuff definitely was a much bigger problem for me than buying stuff in store, so I'm glad I'm really through with this. It's my birthday next weekend and my friends asked me for a wish list, so I asked for gift cards for various clothes/shoe/cosmetics/book stores I like. Not sure what they'll pick for me, but I'm already looking forward to use those gift cards! as a gift from my parents, I picked a quality handbag and a blazer/jacket thingy. I also purchased two sweaters for fall, but also purged two others from my closet because they looked a little old and worn already and they needed to be exchanged.

VAL4M

It's my birthday next weekend and my friends asked me for a wish list, so I asked for gift cards for various clothes/shoe/cosmetics/book stores I like. Not sure what they'll pick for me, but I'm already looking forward to use those gift cards! as a gift from my parents, I picked a quality handbag and a blazer/jacket thingy. I also purchased two sweaters for fall, but also purged two others from my closet because they looked a little old and worn already and they needed to be exchanged.
LOL I might go on a no buy December 1st, lets just say October is down the drain, November is my birthday and I usually refuse to set foot in a mall in December because it is just too crazy with xmas shopping.

B

Buffy89

LOL I might go on a no buy December 1st, lets just say October is down the drain, November is my birthday and I usually refuse to set foot in a mall in December because it is just too crazy with xmas shopping. 
One either loves christmas shopping or hates it, lol. I looove christmas time, but I tend to go to the stores only in the morning and not on the weekend. All those busy people!

charlotte366

Hi Ladies, Just caught up with the thread, sounds like you are all dong well! October was a bit of a miss for me, I ordered some bits from Sephora and went to a MAC counter and picked up the amber and burgundy x 9 palettes as well as the MAC nificent me one! NAUGHTY! I have however been continuing to purge and condense by doing the following: 1) I have been through my foundations and concealers and tossed any poor colour matches or formulas. 2) I have been through my nail polish draw and gifted any ones I don't wear or like to my work collegues 2 little girls 3) I have been shifting make up out of sight in a box for a couple of months to see if I missed and I answer is I didn't!!! Therefore planning of donating this stuff to my local womens shelter. It includes all 3 of the Naked palettes I owned which I just don't love on me, to warm, to pink and too sparkly, I never loved any look I did with them on me so its time to move them on. 4) I have been through my single eyeshadows and again the ones I don't use or reach for are now going in the box till christmas to see if I miss them. I managed to get certain areas down to 2 items in a category, 1 for my house and 1 for keeping at my boyfriends so I don't have to keep packing stuff up and moving it! So I now only have 2 primers, 2 bronzers, 2 gel liners, 2 liquid liners, 2 highlighters and 2 eye primers. Areas which need more work in particular is Foundation, Blush, Eyeshadow and Lip Products. I have committed to taking all my lipsticks to my boyfriends tonight and trying them on one after the other to see if I can condense any further, I sorted through the ones I had at his yesterday and tried them on, we agreed that about 5 didn't suit me that well and I got rid of them! any we can't decide on will be heading for a project 30 lip in 30 days if necessary as I have found that useful in the past! I "think" that I have around 95 lip products in total including tinted balms, glosses, lipsticks, crayons and lip liners. That is far too many for the size of stash I would like so I am hoping to get to the following position by Christmas: 5 Reds 5 Neutral Pinks 5 Berry's 5 Bright Pinks 5 Raspberry shades 5 Nudes 5 Lip Liners 5 Glosses 5 balms and a spare 5 to bring me to 50 items and halve my lip product stash. I find foundations hard to slim down as I use different formulas depending on how my ezcema prone skin is feeling, there are however a couple that are getting old and perhaps should be retired permanently to the garbage. Many blushes in my stash are getting old and I now only seem to reach for a select few, seriously considering slimming this area down further. If anyone has any suggestions on slimming eyeshadows and blushes down please let me know, I would really like to finish purging by Christmas so that next year I can concentrate on using my smaller stash!

B

Buffy89

If anyone has any suggestions on slimming eyeshadows and blushes down please let me know, I would really like to finish purging by Christmas so that next year I can concentrate on using my smaller stash!
Ohhh good job purging so many items systematically! That 50 products lip stash sounds amazing. I should really compare my kit to that plan, although because of my habits, I'd rather own one red, and 10 nudes instead. I'm working on finishing my glosses so I won't own more than a handful.
Lip products and nail polishes were easier for me to purge, too! It's calming to see that other people also feel this way. So I'd love to know suggestions on decluttering eyeshadows and blushes as well. To me, the biggest problem that keeps me from purging is that those dry powder formulas don't seem to turn bad as quickly as creamy textures and even polishes, which turn into seperate layers of liquid and pigment. Another problem is only liking one shade in a palette etc. While I'm thinking about depotting my round Mac shadows, a mixture of different square pans would not be my cup of tea at all. So for now, I'm keeping the whole palette to finish only the shades I like.
I own the Macnificent and Burgundy palettes as well, they're great! If Mac made all their eyeshadows this small from now on, I wouldn't bother. How do you like the quality of the Amber palette? I'm interested in it, but reviews say either it's great or disappointing, but there's none that isn't as "extreme".
I purchased another item from Macnificent Me last weekend, a paintpot. Darn. Fall collections are my soft spot. On the other hand, the holiday collection doesn't really attract me. I'm interested in a skinfinish (mostly curiosity because of the hype) and three of the single eyeshadows, but this time, the products are even more overpriced than ever, thanks to the price raise that happens each year and special packaging. so I don't know what I'll purchase yet. Luckily, I still got two weeks until the european launch.

shellygrrl

Staff member
If anyone has any suggestions on slimming eyeshadows and blushes down please let me know, I would really like to finish purging by Christmas so that next year I can concentrate on using my smaller stash!
So I'd love to know suggestions on decluttering eyeshadows and blushes as well.
I think, with both kinds of products, you have to work out if they still suit you and whether or not you'll use them again. (A bit like every other category of makeup.) With pre-made eyeshadow palettes, work out if you're going to use the majority of, if not all of, the shades. If not, you could depot and keep the shades you like and get rid of the rest. But if something is super duper old, you may as well toss it. If it's still available you can always replace it, if you want, or you can probably find something similar.

B

Buffy89

I think, with both kinds of products, you have to work out if they still suit you and whether or not you'll use them again. (A bit like every other category of makeup.) With pre-made eyeshadow palettes, work out if you're going to use the majority of, if not all of, the shades. If not, you could depot and keep the shades you like and get rid of the rest. But if something is super duper old, you may as well toss it. If it's still available you can always replace it, if you want, or you can probably find something similar.
Thank you for your suggestions! I guess I'll have to face the trush and see how much I'll destash, maybe I'll just rediscover some great colors I didn't use for a while because I'm finally swatching everything. The palettes are gonna be the biggest challenge.

charlotte366

Thanks Ladies! I went through all my lip products last night, I lip swatched everything (yes my lips need balm today!) I straight away have a pile of around 25 lipsticks which are either the wrong tone on me or too dark/ too nude for my tastes. What suprised me were a lot were from sets of minis which I have been gravitating towards, (smaller products and more choice!) I suppose this is to be expected however I think I now need to be careful not to order sets where there are peachy colours or nudes as I find that these shades often don't suit me. As for the rest, I plan to wear a different shade every day from now until Christmas, at the end of each day I can then decide if I liked the colour, formula and wear etc. I think the suggestion of taking out the oldest powder products first is probabley where I am going to start this weekend. I started getting into MAC around the time of the hello kitty collection, which I believe was spring 2009! Now I haven't got any of the lip or cream products from the collection left I have still got the 2 beauty powder blushes. I never wear Fun & Games so that can be B2M'd, Tippy I need to take with me to the store and find a good dupe as I love that colour and have nothing else like it in my collection. I suspect some of my NARS blushes pre date 2012 and some of my eyeshadows in my mac palette are probably from the early days and again can be let go. My naked palettes from UD bit the dust because there were only 2 shadows in each one that I actually liked on me. So I need to apply this logic to all of the quads, quints and other palettes. Decided that I am going to put everything that I dont want to keep in one place and take a picture once I have finished and then a picture of the slimmed down stash, that way I can keep evidence of the waste on my phone and hopefully remind myself of what not to do when I go shopping!

veronikawithak

@charlotte366 Great job downsizing! I'm the same way with those mini lip sets.. I usually get sucked into the Bite lipgloss sets and then by the time I get through them I'm sick of the scent. I do like having the variety of colors though.

October has been going pretty well for me:

I haven't made any makeup purchases this month.
I finished all of the lipsticks I wanted to use up.
I tossed the rest of the items that I wasn't wearing on a weekly basis.
I started wearing eyeshadow more often.
I finished my inventory and now have only 35 products total, which I never thought I'd be able to do again!
I think everything could actually fit in one makeup bag now, which was my hope over the past two years.

Inventory

Face (7):
1 foundation
1 primer
1 finishing powder
1 concealer
2 contour powders
1 blush

Lips (14):
2 lipsticks
1 lip exfoliate
1 lip balm
10 lip gloss minis

Eyes (14):
1 eyeshadow primer
1 eyeliner
1 mascara
11 eyeshadows

Going forward I might purchase one or two more things in the blush/lipstick/lipgloss categories.

Blush - I have 1 rose blush (it's the same color I turn when I'm really blushing) that I now wear everyday and I'm actually seeing progress on it already. I would love to just wear 2-3 blushes and use them up regularly. I'm planning on purchasing a peach one and maybe a nude one.

Lipstick - I used up the rest of my lipsticks and purchased 1 dusty rose and 1 wine colored purple, both of which I'm really loving for Fall. I'm thinking about getting a nude, pink, and coral for Spring/Summer.. but I might just wear my lipglosses in those shades. Not really sure yet.

Lipgloss - I have 10 minis left from the Bite set I got in the Spring and I'm enjoying wearing those. Once they're used up, I'm going to try and resist getting another set and just buy a few of my favorite colors in full sizes.

As for eyeshadows, I think I'm okay for now. I'm considering a second palette of 9 but I want to at least hit pan on a few in my current one first. As long as I stay under 20 I think that's reasonable for me.

charlotte366

@charlotte366 Great job downsizing! I'm the same way with those mini lip sets.. I usually get sucked into the Bite lipgloss sets and then by the time I get through them I'm sick of the scent. I do like having the variety of colors though. October has been going pretty well for me: I haven't made any makeup purchases this month. I finished all of the lipsticks I wanted to use up. I tossed the rest of the items that I wasn't wearing on a weekly basis. I started wearing eyeshadow more often. I finished my inventory and now have only 35 products total, which I never thought I'd be able to do again! I think everything could actually fit in one makeup bag now, which was my hope over the past two years. Inventory Face (7): 1 foundation 1 primer 1 finishing powder 1 concealer 2 contour powders 1 blush Lips (14): 2 lipsticks 1 lip exfoliate 1 lip balm 10 lip gloss minis Eyes (14): 1 eyeshadow primer 1 eyeliner 1 mascara 11 eyeshadows Going forward I might purchase one or two more things in the blush/lipstick/lipgloss categories. Blush - I have 1 rose blush (it's the same color I turn when I'm really blushing) that I now wear everyday and I'm actually seeing progress on it already. I would love to just wear 2-3 blushes and use them up regularly. I'm planning on purchasing a peach one and maybe a nude one. Lipstick - I used up the rest of my lipsticks and purchased 1 dusty rose and 1 wine colored purple, both of which I'm really loving for Fall. I'm thinking about getting a nude, pink, and coral for Spring/Summer.. but I might just wear my lipglosses in those shades. Not really sure yet. Lipgloss - I have 10 minis left from the Bite set I got in the Spring and I'm enjoying wearing those. Once they're used up, I'm going to try and resist getting another set and just buy a few of my favorite colors in full sizes. As for eyeshadows, I think I'm okay for now. I'm considering a second palette of 9 but I want to at least hit pan on a few in my current one first. As long as I stay under 20 I think that's reasonable for me.
Wow! Well done! Not sure I will ever get this low but it might happen I spread everything I own out in the living room floor yesterday and I have started pulling out bits to get rid of. Some areas are easy, others not so much! Will post photos when I am done ! Xx

Audrey C

@charlotte366 Great job downsizing! I'm the same way with those mini lip sets.. I usually get sucked into the Bite lipgloss sets and then by the time I get through them I'm sick of the scent. I do like having the variety of colors though.

I finished my inventory and now have only 35 products total, which I never thought I'd be able to do again!
I think everything could actually fit in one makeup bag now, which was my hope over the past two years.

Inventory

Face (7):
1 foundation
1 primer
1 finishing powder
1 concealer
2 contour powders
1 blush

Lips (14):
2 lipsticks
1 lip exfoliate
1 lip balm
10 lip gloss minis

Eyes (14):
1 eyeshadow primer
1 eyeliner
1 mascara
11 eyeshadows

Going forward I might purchase one or two more things in the blush/lipstick/lipgloss categories.

Blush - I have 1 rose blush (it's the same color I turn when I'm really blushing) that I now wear everyday and I'm actually seeing progress on it already. I would love to just wear 2-3 blushes and use them up regularly. I'm planning on purchasing a peach one and maybe a nude one.

Lipstick - I used up the rest of my lipsticks and purchased 1 dusty rose and 1 wine colored purple, both of which I'm really loving for Fall. I'm thinking about getting a nude, pink, and coral for Spring/Summer.. but I might just wear my lipglosses in those shades. Not really sure yet.

Lipgloss - I have 10 minis left from the Bite set I got in the Spring and I'm enjoying wearing those. Once they're used up, I'm going to try and resist getting another set and just buy a few of my favorite colors in full sizes.

As for eyeshadows, I think I'm okay for now. I'm considering a second palette of 9 but I want to at least hit pan on a few in my current one first. As long as I sta. y under 20 I think that's reasonable for me.
Wow! That really is a well-edited collection. No way I could get back down to that happily, but it's entirely in keeping with your minimalist goals.

I bought a replacement foundation during the Sephora F&F sale, but no other makeup (for me). I did get a few items for my daughters, but there's really nothing I need or want. I got Naked Smoky this summer and I'm enjoying that. I have decided that I will get two MAC CSG sets next week; I last bought them two years ago and have now finished them all. I like layering them over liner or less glossy lipsticks and this is the most cost effective way to get them.

Other than that, I'm good!

B

Buffy89

Inventory

Face (7):
1 foundation
1 primer
1 finishing powder
1 concealer
2 contour powders
1 blush

Lips (14):
2 lipsticks
1 lip exfoliate
1 lip balm
10 lip gloss minis

Eyes (14):
1 eyeshadow primer
1 eyeliner
1 mascara
11 eyeshadows

As for eyeshadows, I think I'm okay for now. I'm considering a second palette of 9 but I want to at least hit pan on a few in my current one first. As long as I stay under 20 I think that's reasonable for me.
This is sooo impressive to me! My voice of reason is telling me that this is just a perfect, streamlined kit, containing only things that you love. You can use hings up regularly and repurchase/add items without any bad conscience. I kinda wish I could snap my fingers and suddenly have a collection like this.

Last week, I failed miserably, because I purchased two Paintpots and a Patentpolish from Mac's fall collection, adding them to the palette and the lipstick I already purchased from the same collection the week before. Re-reading my posts here where I stated I wasn't going to splurge on that collection, I'm feeling ashamed because I didn't even stay true to my own words. Two carefully picked items are okay-ish, but five aren't in my case. And darn, around 130 Euros for things I honestly didn't need (cannot return them because of the policy here). At the moment, I'm having a very stressful time at uni and I'm working 2x the amount of my regular shifts at my job till the end of the year, so I must have lost my sense somehow when I purchased those things. I'm also catching myself stress-eating sweets and crisps so many times. Don't wanna moan, but I clearly see that all that stress triggers my behavior.
Therefore, I'm starting a no-buy on color cosmetics until the end of 2015 (I said it! I said it!). I tended to to that "2-3 pieces per collection" thing way too long. But at the moment, I need to face a challenge, I think. A shopping fast is gonna be good for me, I hope. This way, I hope to use the stuff I already own, I mean, I don't even get the time to use the things I got when there's new stuff flooding in regularly. Even two or three new items are too much when one's already got a lot of stuff waiting to be tried properly. I'll also have to cope skipper's remorse, I think (holiday collections - unsubscribing from certain threads asap), but it'll make me strong after all. The only things I'm allowed to buy are powder/concealer/foundation because I know I'll run out of them, and skincare (face). Since my 2 foundation brushes are shedding like crazy, I might repurchase 2 reasonably priced ones. The only real exception to me is gonna be an (one!) item from the UDxGwen Stefani collection, which I'll put on my christmas list.
My stash is pretty big and would be a dream come true for so many people, and I feel like it's time to really appreciate it. Therefore, I'm changing my former approach. 10 weeks until new year's eve is not super long, and I'm sure I'll be really proud and happy afterwards. Besides, christmas time will offer me lots of distractions (baking, shopping for gifts, social events) as an outlet for stress. It really bothers me how I always give in to those triggers and get tricked to buy stuff, because I actually know about the psycological processes behind everything.

I've also made a list of 10 items I plan to finish until 2016:
- Bare Again Lipstick
- You've Got It Cremesheen Glass
- Dirty Blonde Fluidline for brows
- Nightshade Fluidline
- It's Physical Fluidline
- Blacktrack Fluidline
- Benefit They're Real liner
- Dainty Blush
- A Wish Come True eyeshadow
- Pure Flash Electric Cool Shadow

Concentrating on so many liners at once might not be the best technique, but It's Physical rather suits me as an eyeshadow and Nightshade is super patchy and won't turn opaque most times, so I'll try it some more times to see if it's worth keeping at all. If one item gets crossed out, I'll add another one to the list.

shellygrrl

Staff member
You can do it, Buffy! :cheer: A couple of things from me... 1) I finished my CC cream on Friday (It Cosmetics Your Skin But Better). I don't think I'll repurchase. It wasn't a bad CC cream by any stretch; I just don't think it did anything more, or better, than the Bobbi Brown tinted moisturizer I had years ago. (Sucks that the oil-free version of said TM has been discontinued, though.) 2) My October makeup no-buy is going to be a success. And today's makeup... * Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer * MUFE Ultra HD Foundation - Y205 * MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer - NW15 * Anastasia Brow Powder Duo - Ash Brown * hairspray on a spoolie * NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base * OCC Skin Conceal - Y0 (additional eyeshadow base) * Victoria's Secret eyeshadow - Bunny * MAC Eyeshadows - mix of Omega + Copperplate (crease colour + precise contouring), Mystery (lash lines) * Bare Minerals Flawless Definition Mascara - Black * MAC Mattene Lipstick - Personal Pick

Latest posts