Resolution "LOW-BUY" 2015

shellygrrl

Staff member
Today's FOTD... * Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer * MUFE Ultra HD Foundation - Y205 * MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer - NW15 * Anastasia Brow Powder Duo - Ash Brown (there's a serious dip in the left side; I'm amazed I've not hit pan on it yet!) * NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base * Victoria's Secret eyeshadow - Bunny (all over lid) * MAC Eyeshadows - mix of Malt and Copperplate in/above the crease (I probably should have just used Copperplate!), Indian Ink for a little bit of winged liner action (more of a kitten flick than a full cat eye) * MAC Blush - Pink Cult * NARS Satin Lip Pencil - Rikugien (edited to add...) Will you help save Specktra? - We're in a bit of a bind around here, so do check out Janice's post, and donate if you can. Mercy buckets!

shellygrrl

Staff member
Hope you're all doing great in low-buy land! A little haulage: a set of Kiss Short Combo trio lashes, some new lash glue (Kiss's, with the silicone applicator tip), and a nail polish (Orly Color Blast in Sky Blue). Today's FOTD... * Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer * mix of MUFE Ultra HD Foundation - Y205 + NARS Sheer Glow - Siberia (pretty good combo, IMO!) * OCC Skin Conceal - Y0 * Rimmel Stay Matte Powder -Transparent * Anastasia Brow Powder Duo - Ash Brown * NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base * Victoria's Secret eyeshadow - Bunny * MAC Eyeshadow - Omega * Bare Minerals Flawless Definition Mascara - Black * OCC Creme Colour Concentrate - John Doe * NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil - Cruella (I think I've found another matte lippie formula I like!)

B

Buffy89

Yeah, how's everybody doing? I know it's been a while since I've posted here. I'm quite busy again and I've been on a little trip to Paris last week, shopping paradise, lol. Although I took a budget with me which was just for shopping (we had another one for food/admission fees etc.), I took most of my money home with me and it'll go right into my savings for the next holidays
cheerleader.gif
I did some shopping, but I purchased intelligently, I think. I bought a great pair of boots (desperately in need of some variety in shoes for rainy days since I've purged most of my shabby old sneakers), a quality handbag at &Other Stories (love love love it! and I also "needed" it after purging most of my handbags, because I was lacking a medium sized bag and only had those bulky, huge ones left, which are good for some occasions like uni, but not for things like the cinema, going for lunch, etc.) and four shirts which work both for formal and casual outfits. And I won't tell anybody what we spent on Macarons
angelic.gif
But sitting down at a lovely restaurant or at the gorgeous Laduree patisserie may be pricey, but so much more worth the money than some mediocre stuff sitting in my closet.

Makeup wise, I had planned to purchase some Nars Audacious lipsticks or Marc Jacobs lipgelees because we don't have those brands here, but the colors I'd like were sold out at two Sephoras, and I did not wanna spend my time hunting for lipstick during my holiday. I did not want to buy any other shade just to be in possession of an Audacious lipstick, so I skipped, and it felt surprizingly ok to me. A year ago, I would have bought ANY color just to own one, because of all the hype and so on. My mom, who knows about my low-buy, was super kind and offered to me picking something as a gift. So she bought three (super generous!!!) Nars dual intensity eyeshadows for me
heart2.gif
It's always good to talk to her about my low-buy and this way, she's shown how much she appreciates my progress, I think.

This month, four(?) Mac collections were released here, and I ended up with four items. That's still a lot, especially considering I already got my new eyeshadows, but remembering September/October '14, I think I still can be happy about the progress I've made. From these collections, there are products for around 150 Euros or more, which I've skipped, but I definitely would have also purchased them a year ago without even thinking about it. Now, I really know what I use and what items will make me really happy on the long run. Skipping or missing out on an item gets a lot easier these days, and I'm glad about this. The world will still go round in case I won't be able to purchase the next best holy grail/hyped item/LE thingy, and the next collection is always just around the corner.

jennyap

Sounds like you had a lovely time in Paris AND did really well on the shopping front @Buffy89 !

I'm still very happy with how I'm doing. I had my first no-buy month in August (calendar month, at least, I'm pretty sure I've gone over 30 days before). Admittedly I didn't get far into September before making a purchase, and it was helped considerably by being on vacation for two weeks, but I'm still super pleased that there's an empty column in my spreadsheet!

This month's buys were MAC Rare Breed and Pretty Boy lipsticks. I am still very tempted by a couple of the Vamplify glosses (What's Going On & Anything But Demure) but as I'm not supposed to be buying any glosses this year I am holding firm.

I just checked my inventory and last year I bought 63 makeup items. So far this year I'm at 24. I know I'm likely to want a few things from various holiday collections so I think I am no-buying until those are released. Overall I think I should keep within or very close to my overall target of 30 for the year.

I haven't got into the Audacious lipsticks yet - I really want to, but I am afraid of what might happen if I do! If I keep to 30 items for the year, I may allow myself one as a new year treat :)

honey b

Wow sounds like everyone is doing pretty well. I had told myself I was doing a "no buy July" but failed pretty miserably. But then I didn't buy any makeup products in August so I feel like I redeemed myself. The only things I've purchased so far this month is from Mac. I bought Faux l/s and the Lightful C radiance tinted moisturizer and only 1 of the Vamplify lip glosses. I just keep telling myself that with all the money I've spent on makeup within the past 2 years (which goes bad eventually), I could have bought at least 3 new Louis bags (which never go bad
winkiss.gif
) Plus we're moving into an older farmhouse on Friday which needs a bit of work so I need to spend my money more carefully.

charlotte366

Sounds like we are all improving, I have been continuing to slim down my stash and using more of what I own, my spending on make up has definitelt dropped and I tend to resist things in the drugstores much easier as I know that a lot of what I have destashed is drugstore products! I had a mini "fail" last week when I got paid as the feel unique sale was on, I ended up picking up quite a bit of Lancome, I got: Lancome Artliner in Brown (i use the L'oreal artliner dupe in black to save money but they don't do a brown colour so went for the real deal!) Lancome Gel liner in uptown brown for £8.75 (50%) Lancome Belle De Teint Powder in O4 for £17.50 (50% off) 8 Lancome Shine Lover Lipsticks for £10.50 each (50%) My justification, I through my last gel liner out 6 weeks ago as it was past its best and dried out, since then I have missed having one so one replacement in my stash isn't a bad thing and I have been prefering dark browns to blacks recently. The Belle de Teint is something I have been wanting to try as a very soft bronzer/powder to warm up my face and thought that at 50% off I could take the risk, so far I have been loving it and I am pleased with my purchase. The lipsticks.....kind of scared I fell back into old habits, but I reminded myself that I bought one shade about 4 months ago and there is very little product left, its my go to which lives in my handbag and gets reapplied on the go.....I love the soft glossy nourishing formula with pigmentation that is buildable. The colours I acquired were all good MLBB, neutrals and a few bright pinks which are my favourites to wear, and so far I have been wearing a new one each day as part of a 30 day lip challenge. What the destashing and low buy has taught me is what colours I like and the types of formula I prefer, I think if these had been matte long wear products I would have failed myself but actually I can't see any of them going to waste :)

B

Buffy89

Sounds like you had a lovely time in Paris AND did really well on the shopping front @Buffy89 !

I'm still very happy with how I'm doing. I had my first no-buy month in August (calendar month, at least, I'm pretty sure I've gone over 30 days before). Admittedly I didn't get far into September before making a purchase, and it was helped considerably by being on vacation for two weeks, but I'm still super pleased that there's an empty column in my spreadsheet!

This month's buys were MAC Rare Breed and Pretty Boy lipsticks. I am still very tempted by a couple of the Vamplify glosses (What's Going On & Anything But Demure) but as I'm not supposed to be buying any glosses this year I am holding firm.

I just checked my inventory and last year I bought 63 makeup items. So far this year I'm at 24. I know I'm likely to want a few things from various holiday collections so I think I am no-buying until those are released. Overall I think I should keep within or very close to my overall target of 30 for the year.

I haven't got into the Audacious lipsticks yet - I really want to, but I am afraid of what might happen if I do! If I keep to 30 items for the year, I may allow myself one as a new year treat :)
24 items so far sounds great! I purchased Rare Breed as well (along with Fashion Pack), and Anything but Demure, plus one of the new lipliners (In Control). So that's the 4 items I bought this month. I did not try ADB yet because I've got a cold and don't wanna spread all the bacteria in my new lipgloss, but recently, I've read a lot of (german speaking) reviews about the Vamplifies which aren't as great as many post here in the Vamplify thread. Especially @Karrie, whose opinion I'm always interested in, but also others were complaining that the glosses settled into liplines and were "bleeding" over the edge of the lips. That's why I don't dare to purchase another color. It's great that so many Specktrettes are liking the formula and it certainly might be great for some people, but maybe you needed someone to confirm that skipping was not the worst idea
pompom.gif

veronikawithak

Glad to hear how amazing everyone is doing! I'm still doing pretty well. No makeup purchases since the end of June (almost 10 weeks!). I'm doing another 100 day challenge so I've got about a month left and should be able to make that with no problems. I'll probably purchase a mascara and maybe something from the holiday collections in October. At the end of the year I'd like to cull the rest of my lipsticks - I only have about 6 left, in varying states of completion - and purchase a few Red Apple Lipstick ones to start fresh in the new year. I should also go through my samples in the next few months and get rid of the ones I don't like.. they've been sitting unused for a few months now. I'll probably do an overall purge and inventory to end the year. In terms of budget in general, I've steadily reduced my spending since our move in June. In July I spent 25% less and in August I spent a further 40% less. I'm still not where I should be, but I'm hoping that this month I'll be much closer. In October I have to pay for a trip for next year to a friend's wedding and in November my debt repayment period starts so I need to get on top of things now. My purchases for this month so far have been limited to exercise clothing (a pair of shorts and a pair of leggings - used a gift card for part of it), work clothing (one shirt), and a replacement of my cleanser. Really happy with that. Still working on food and beverage spending. Trying to eat more at home and take lunches to work. The BPAL Halloween collection is coming out in the next month or so, and I'm going to let myself get some things from that. Trying not to spend too much in that area either though, I already have quite a few things I've bought over the last year. Trying to end the year strong. :) I'm really looking forward to comparing last year's numbers with this year.

CrimsonQuill157

I've been doing pretty well on the makeup front. I did buy three lipsticks from VAT but I think that was my last purchase. And it's taught me that, whatever MAC has done to their Amplified formula, I don't like it. So unless I hear of a change, no more Amplifieds for me.

I do think I am going to pick up 1975 Red from Charlotte Tilbury. I've been wanting to try that line for a while and it looks like a nice shade to start with.

Twinkle_Twinkle

My goal is to low-buy for September but I did purchase some items at ColourPop. I stacked a $5 off code on top of the Labor Day savings which came to 25% so I feel like that was kind of worth it but I didn't got crazy with the spending so I'm glad for that. I'm also going to get the UD Vice 4 palette when it comes out in late September but I'm committed to getting nothing between now and then. Unless items are LE I'm trying to make it a point to only purchase during sales and to purchase online using ebates/Mr. Rebates. I hope to low-buy in October as well (only the UD Spectrum palette) because holiday LE's are right around the corner and while I'm not usually into holiday collection I am eager to see what the MAC Extra Dimension powders will be. And I need to especially save for the Sephora 20% sale because I need to load up on basics and there are products I want to try.

shellygrrl

Staff member
I'm still very happy with how I'm doing.  I had my first no-buy month in August (calendar month, at least, I'm pretty sure I've gone over 30 days before). Admittedly I didn't get far into September before making a purchase, and it was helped considerably by being on vacation for two weeks, but I'm still super pleased that there's an empty column in my spreadsheet!   This month's buys were MAC Rare Breed and Pretty Boy lipsticks. I am still very tempted by a couple of the Vamplify glosses (What's Going On & Anything But Demure) but as I'm not supposed to be buying any glosses this year I am holding firm.  I just checked my inventory and last year I bought 63 makeup items. So far this year I'm at 24. I know I'm likely to want a few things from various holiday collections so I think I am no-buying until those are released. Overall I think I should keep within or very close to my overall target of 30 for the year.  I haven't got into the Audacious lipsticks yet - I really want to, but I am afraid of what might happen if I do! If I keep to 30 items for the year, I may allow myself one as a new year treat :)
Yay for your no-buy month! :cheer: And you can definitely make your goal for the year! I haven't tried any of the Audacious lippies, either. I've had three on my list since whenever they first came out, but I've yet to buy one. No major rush, really.
Wow sounds like everyone is doing pretty well.  I had told myself I was doing a "no buy July"  but failed pretty miserably.  But then I didn't buy any makeup products in August so I feel like I redeemed myself.  The only things I've purchased so far this month is from Mac.  I bought Faux l/s and the Lightful C radiance tinted moisturizer and only 1 of the Vamplify lip glosses.  I just keep telling myself that with all the money I've spent on makeup within the past 2 years (which goes bad eventually), I could have bought at least 3 new Louis bags (which never go bad :winkiss: )  Plus we're moving into an older farmhouse on Friday which needs a bit of work so I need to spend my money more carefully. 
Priorities! :nods:

Twinkle_Twinkle

In the spirit of really trying to low buy, I think I am going to skip the UD Vice 4 palette AND the Spectrum palette. GASP! I can hardly believing I am typing the words. I'm still a wee bit on the fence about skipping Vice 4 (especially because this would be my first Vice palette) but I think I can safely skip Spectrum. I already have three shades in the palette and the only one's I really want are Omen, which is available as a separate, and Voodoo because I am obsessed with purple shadows, but I'm sure life will go on without it, plus it looks a lot like AC/DC.

I can do this...

B

Buffy89

In the spirit of really trying to low buy, I think I am going to skip the UD Vice 4 palette AND the Spectrum palette. GASP! I can hardly believing I am typing the words. I'm still a wee bit on the fence about skipping Vice 4 (especially because this would be my first Vice palette) but I think I can safely skip Spectrum. I already have three shades in the palette and the only one's I really want are Omen, which is available as a separate, and Voodoo because I am obsessed with purple shadows, but I'm sure life will go on without it, plus it looks a lot like AC/DC.  I can do this...
I'll skip both of them as well. Spectrum is not really up my alley because I'm not wearing blue and green very often. But even Vice is too colorful to suit my habits. There are some beautiful shades included, but it would be such a waste if I only used half of the palette regularly. And I already own eyeshadows which are similar enough to recreate certain combos. It's kinda hard because Vice as a whole is gorgeous, but I'll survive. Maybe I'll put Naked Smoky on my holiday wishlist. I like all colors in it and I'm already using my Naked 2+3 a lot, so this might be a nice addition. Owning the Naked palettes really helps me skip other neutral eyeshadows and palettes, by the way. They make me feel like I already got everything I need.

nt234

Random update - I haven't been spending too much money on makeup because I've been working so much. I have, however, been trying to build a solid foundation of MAC items rather than giving into LE hype. I slipped up with the Colourpop strobing kit; I bought it and haven't touched it since swatching it :eek:hboy:

BrittLuvsMakeup

Now that I have a sizeable makeup collection, I am only going to focus on purchasing products that I want that are limited edition, items that I run out of or need, items that I can get at a discounted price, or items that are cheap to begin with. Although this criteria does not equate to less purchases, I plan on being more selective with what I purchase and will no longer purchase certain types of items until I run out. I will no longer purchase:

mascaras
brow products (I did buy the Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Gel yesterday for 50% off)
contour products
setting powders
eyeshadow primers (with the exception of a glitter primer since I do not have one. I plan on just buying an e.l.f one from Dollar Tree. I may also buy the Smashbox
24 Hour Photo Finish Shadow Primer when it goes on sale for 50% off but I don't know if I'm going to get it for sure​
)
foundation
foundation primers (I did buy the Japonesque Velvet Touch primer for 50% off today)
eye pencils/eye liners
eyelash primers
lip primers
single eyeshadows/pigments (unless I find a really unique color, but I rarely find something that is not close enough to something I already have so it shouldn't be difficult to no longer purchase these)

The main items that I can think of at this time which I may have a hard time putting a limitation on are limited edition lipsticks, illuminators (highlighters), and eyeshadow palettes. If they are permanent, I am in no rush to get them but if they are limited, it's hard for me to resist.

The only time I may make exceptions are for major sales (like Sephora's semi-annual sale, especially since I have some unused Sephora gift cards that I've been saving for the occasion) or when I have gift cards to use.

I hope to be able to stick to these resolutions! My Sephora purchases have already been reduced greatly since last month (I only made 3 purchases there) but Ulta's 21 Days of Beauty may tempt me to purchase more than I would like, lol. The only upcoming (within the next week or two) planned purchase I have thus far is Kat Von D's Mi Vida Loca Remix Eyeshadow Palette and the e.l.f Glitter Primer. If I happen to find the Ruby Kisses All Over Glow Bronzing Powder in Bronze Glow, I'll get it but otherwise, I don't need to have it anytime soon.

Glitteryvegas

Hello Lovely Low Buy Ladies!!

I've read through most replies since my last post (probably a few months ago now!) - Thank you for all of your thoughtful suggestions re: how to avoid not breaking my no-buy to purchase waterproof mascara for my bro's wedding. I did use false lashes and a tiny bit of mascara and I was just really careful to not sob. LOL. I cried a bit and nothing ran, I used UD All Nighter Spray so that might've helped. Anyways, it turned out great and I'm happy to say that my makeup no buy is still in tact!!! I can't believe it - 9 months have gone by and I don't even really have an urge. I feel amazing about this transition in my behaviour, but I still have a ways to go with wanting to buy books, home decor items, and other things.

I enjoy art, jewelry, clothes, basically everything. LOL. So I feel like maybe now that I can control the urge for makeup, and I'm def. making progress in the other areas. I have consigned clothes and books this year - yesterday I used store credit at the used book store and got basically three brand new books for Xmas gifts for about $13 (50% credit, 50% cash). It was awesome. I'm going to try my hand at candle making and try to make soy based candles for Xmas gifts. I'm also making some art canvases for gifts. I have a very supportive family base and they will (I hope!) love my gifts haha.

I will replenish certain items next year that I need, but I'm still good for everything except mascara (still have one that's just been opened to use for the remainder of the year). I think I would like to get something from the Selena collection if the colours work for me. I have always loved her and I am looking forward to seeing what that collection has to offer.

So far in my debt journey, hubs and I have calculated and we've repaid a combined $13,000 in just over a year. I still have $14,700 to go on my LOC and some funds owed to the gov't for school loans (no interest, taken out of my retirement funds and can be repaid over 10 years). My debt free date is Oct 31 2016 for my LOC. I am very determined. I would like to acknowledge all of you in this group for your role in my focus. Without this group I wouldn't have been able to find a community of understanding and motivated women to share my journey with. THANK YOU!!!! <3

Some big inspirations for me have been blondeonabudget (blog) and other simplicity blogs.

I've read through all of your progress ladies and you are doing amazing. We all deserve a big pat on the back, wherever we are in our journeys and goals.

I'm saddened by the thought of Specktra being shut down!!! I really hope that it works out and we can keep our group together!!! xoxo

veronikawithak

[@]Glitteryvegas[/@] Your debt journey sounds amazing. So stoked for you that you've been so successful and have been able to pay back so much.. To have that LOC paid off in a year is going to feel outstanding! I'm in the same boat - trying to expand my Low/No Buy to other areas of life and make it stick. I'm doing okay but definitely still a lot of work to be done! I'm going to be hacking away at student debt for quite a few years it looks like. One thing I started doing, other than checking the Mint app, is pinning email alerts about interest charges to the top of my email Inbox so that every time I log in I see that I've paid to borrow money I didn't have. Simple but that reminder really puts a damper on wanting to buy anything rather than pay off debt.. This week I've been portioning out my lunch from whatever we're having for dinner and it's REALLY helped me cut down on buying food at work and also I'm eating healthier things and better portions. Just simple things but they make a big difference! Also with the seasons changing I'm feeling a resurgence in motivation. Anyone else feel like that too?

shellygrrl

Staff member
FOTD... * Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer * mix of MUFE Ultra HD - Y205 + NARS Sheer Glow - Siberia * MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer - NW15 * OCC Skin Conceal - Y0 * Rimmel Stay Matte Powder - Transparent * Anastasia Brow Powder Duo - Ash Brown * hair spray on a spoolie as brow gel * NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base * Victoria's Secret eyeshadow - Bunny * MAC Eyeshadow - Copperplate * Prestige Total Intensity Eyeliner Pencil - Strong Slate * Prestige True Kohl Kajal - Matte Black * Bare Minerals Flawless Definition Mascara - Black * MAC Blush - Next to Skin (contour) * NARS Blush - Sex Appeal (I've definitely hit pan now!) * NYX Round Lipstick - Thalia I also played with a colourful inner corner placement -- NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk as a base, Makeup Geek e/s in Glass Slipper with MAC Violet pigment over the top -- but opted out of it.

shellygrrl

Staff member
Minor disaster this morning: As I was putting my makeup, I accidentally dropped/dumped a good bit of my Mauvement pigment into my makeup drawer. Only a minor disaster because: 1) I still have plenty Mauvement left, and 2) the spill was concentrated to only one side of the drawer and was easily either wiped away or vacuumed up. And now for what I wore today... * It Cosmetics YSBB CC Cream - Fair * MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer - NW15 * OCC Skin Concealer - Y0 * Anastasia Brow Powder Duo - Ash Brown * NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base * MAC Paint Pot - Tailor Grey * MAC Eyeshadows - mix of Omega and Copperplate (crease) * MAC Pigment - Mauvement (lid) * Urban Decay Eyeshadow - Verve (from Naked 2 palette; inner third of lid) * Bare Minerals Flawless Definition Mascara - Black * NARS Blush - Sex Fantasy * NYX Slim Lip Pencil - Pale Pink * MAC Lipstick - Feed the Senses

kerry-jane88

Hey ladies, Kerry checking in here! I've not been as up on my inventory and my running spending totals as I should be, but I've found that my life's got so hectic that ill let myself off with that. I still make myself sit down once a month and think about where I'm at. Beauty spending has been higher than I'd have liked this past month but I suppose it was my birthday last week so we're all allowed birthday treats right!? :p In the summer months I was very good and kept myself away from too many frivolous purchases and if I did buy makeup or skincare they were good basics or things that I'd genuinely reach for on a regular basis. Consequently I've found im a lot more at ease with my skincare and makeup routines, as I feel more confident with what I'm using. I know a lot of us have felt overwhelmed by our stashes sometimes but now I feel as if I'm past the tipping point and most of the products I own tend to work for me instead of the other way around - me trying to make them work! Along with that last little motto, I'm quicker at purging - if I don't love it, if I have to try to hard to make it work - I pass it on - ain't nobody got time for faffing around! I need to remind myself to keep spending to a minimum now as I really like the look of the Mac Ellie Golding in December and Mac Charlotte Olympia next year so to try and use up a few more of my bulkier Mac compacts to make some room, as I'm conscious that I don't want my stash to become too large again. Nice little progress report for you there, not perfect but we're aiming for better right? :)