So, I'm going to purchase my 1st MAC makeup this weekend, and-_-_-

Larkin

I'm dreading it.

I need foundation, which means being color-matched and that means no makeup. I am not cool with that at all.
thmbdn.gif
My skin is my biggest insecurity and embarrassment. Just typing that made me tear up. I avoid talking to people just so they won't have the opportunity to survey my skin. I wear makeup already but it isn't great coverage, and I feel like people are just noticing all the things I'm trying to hide.

I don't think I can go to this counter and be color-matched w/o foundation on. I have serious dark scars on my face and I'm not comfortable letting anyone see them. At this point I'm leaning toward buying what I think will match me, taking it back to my room (hotel room, I'll be out of town), trying it on there, and taking it back if it doesn't match. Is this crazy? It's like a trip to the gyno. I don't have the money to seriously tackle the underlying issues of my skin right now. Once I'm out of school and making $$$ it's first.

On to the recommendation part:

I have super oily skin & need the coverage ,so, I plan on getting Studio Fix fluid. What should I get to go along with this for setting & concealing?
Setting
pressed blot powder
Studio Fix powder
MSF

Concealing
full coverage foundation
select cover-up(kinda partial to this, I think it will be quicker to apply)
studio finish

Any other suggestions? BTW, I'm in the NC43 NC42 C6 C7 range

Thank you guys

couturesista

Re: -_-_- So, I'm going to purchase my 1st MAC makeup this weekend, and-_-_-

Relax, we have all had bad skin days and some of us still do. I think you should call ahead to the MAC store and schedule a consult. When I had my consult in was in a private area, so I felt comfortable. Maybe this will put you at ease a bit. As far as suggestions for products goes, again schedule a consult, the M/A should be able to point you in the right direction, again relax and have fun. Good Luck

Larkin

Thank you
This location is at a counter in some dept store. I doubt they have a private area.
ssad.gif

couturesista

When you call explain your situation, they maybe able to give you an appt. when their not really busy, say like during the morning hours. I just don't want you to be discourage. I remember not wanting to be matched because I'm a WOC and I just knew they wouldn't have a foundation for me, boy was I wrong, NC 50 all day!

vivaXglamlove

Mac Ma's are so sweet and nice. They will help you pick the perfect face routine and show you how to apply it. They are not there to judge you.
I have oily skin as well and I use studio fix fluid and pressed blot powder. They are both great products.

bis

Would it work to go there with makeup and then just take it off before they match you?
And the MA are really, really very nice. Another reason why I like MAC.

couturesista

This is why I love Spektra, everyone is so nice and willing to help! That's another reason why MAC is so great, the customers. See, you really don't have anything to be embarrassed or worried about. I know some of the M/A at my local store makes house calls, they will come to you and do your consult and application, the price would probably be a little more than the store, but at least your in your comfort zone, and they always through in extra goodies when you book with them personally! Gotta love freebies!

Larkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bis
Would it work to go there with makeup and then just take it off before they match you?
And the MA are really, really very nice. Another reason why I like MAC.

This sounds great.

Thank you all, sooo much. I really really want makeup that's "yellow/golden" enough for me. I'll mos def be out of my comfort zone for a little bit this weekend.

purrtykitty

I also suggest setting up a time that the MAs are least likely to be busy. And nothing says that you have to go in barefaced in order to be matched. You can definitely go in with your normal foundation on. They'll just wipe it off before color-matching you. You might even consider taking in what you are currently using so that they can see what it is you don't like about it and find you something that is more to your liking.

Have fun...and maybe pick out an eyeshadow or something, too. It will turn it into a much more exciting trip, especially since foundation can seem so run-of-the-mill. I hope you find something you like!

Kiseki

I think many of us wouldn't want to be caught dead without makeup. I had a serious allergic reaction to a shaving product on my chin and it looks beyound awful and for years I struggled with serious skin issues.

Try and make the most of it, book the appointment in the early hours so you'll have a bit more privacy and make the most of that experience. Learn how to properly apply the product and get matched correctly.

Onto to the recs.

I definitely suggest pressed blot powder for setting. Studio Fix has a lot of coverage but during the Summer it might be too much coverage and making you look cakey. Mineralize Skinfinishes, even natural ones, have shimmer and glow and can attract attentions to areas you're trying to conceal.

Concealer wise, Studio Finish might be the best option and is cheaper than Full Coverage foundation if you're on a budget.

Hope this helps and let us know how it went.

anshu7

u can go with ur makeup on and remove it when u get color matched
for the recommendations it really depends on wat u r looking for
heaviest coverage to lightest coverage:
studio finish/studio fix
select cover
the moisture one cnt remember the name * gasps**checks own temperature*

for the pressed powder
if u want oil control:blot
if u want a luminous glow:msf
else select sheer

all the powders are very gud
hth

KellyBean

What I'd do is cover up your bad areas a bit and then blend really well. Then you can have them match the bare part.

Could this work?

Anyways, don't worry too too much. You're not the only one with terrible skin, I swear.
smiles.gif

iluffyew769769

Don't worry. If you would feel comfortable wearing make up there then taking it off when you get there that would probably be fine with them. Everyone has insecurities. You will be fine!

seabird

they can take your make-up off when you're there to make sure you're colour matched properly, when they colour matched me they took off one cheek of make-up to try it. luckily it was the right shade, so they took off the rest of my make-up and applied it all over to make sure i was happy with the colour/finish. i wouldn't recommend buying what shades you think are best then taking them back if they're not, they just get thrown in the trash and that's a huge waste. the ma's are lovely and will want you to feel comfortable as possible, so if you explain to them that you aren't happy not wearing make-up infront of people, they will do their best to make sure you feel comfortable and perhaps take you to a quieter area of the store.

Larkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage

I would advise against Studio Fix Powder as a setting powder. From my own experience (combination skin), Studio Fix has a tendency to cake when your skin secretes more oil. Good to know, my skin will definately be secreting more oil.
yes.gif
Then again, I'm against powders and usually try to go without one, so you shouldn't really listen to me. :p Did you also consider face & body? It's a little pricier, but comes with a lot more product. It's sheer to medium coverage, and I find that it provides beautiful coverage while covering up old scars and blemishes (if anything still shows, just conceal!).
I thought about the F&B I'll be sure to try it. The "sheer" part dissuades me, though.
smiles.gif

Studio finish is the same as full coverage, so unless you plan on using full coverage as a foundation, you can just go with the studio finish. Full Coverage is also only available at PRO stores these days (I think, anyway), so they definitely won't have it at counters, but maybe at freestanding stores.
Full Coverage

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much

Larkin

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement, guys.

I was going to do the full face thing, but I couldn't get an early am appt. So, I'm just gonna walk in and get color-matched when they 1st open. I can't wait to trash my HIP foundation.
th_DANCE.gif

k.a.t

I remember i was just as scared when i first went to get colour-matched, but it wasn't actually that bad lol

Anyways have fun buying ur first MAC items!
greengrin.gif

stacylynne

Go with no makeup on & get color matched. Let them use 3 colors on you. After a 1/2 hr go outside in natural light & see which 1 blends w/ your skin perfectly.
You can't judge the color inside with those floresent lights.
You also said you have very oily skin. After waiting a 1/2 hr, the foundation may get 1-2 shades darker on.
I would use the blot powder to set.
If you have bad skin, don't be emarrased. Please. We all have been there. The MA's are there to help you, not judge you.
Good luck
smiles.gif

malaviKat

First...let me wish you the best of luck! (The experience should be anything but traumatizing...so go and enjoy yourself!) I also second the recommendation that others have made...go in wearing makeup if you feel most comfortable that way. If you don't want to take it all off, have the MUA just remove the makeup at your jawline (which is where they'll match you anyway). In all likelihood you'll find something you love and you'll want them to do your entire face.
smiles.gif

As for the actual makeup...being plagued by oily skin myself... :p

Base:
MAC Prep & Prime works well...but I just tried their Oil Control Lotion last week...after years of wearing MAC. It's a godsend! So..a bit of Oil Control Lotion (all over) followed by MAC Matte.

Foundation:
Full Coverage (NC45)
I've had issues with my skin for years and have always been self conscious about it. Full Coverage is the most opaque foundation they've got. It will cover everything. (So unless you find it's so heavy that it clogs your pores...I recommend it!)

Concealer (after foundation):
Studio Finish
(I'm kinda lazy about concealer, partially because Full Coverage does such a great job. But I'd recommend Studio Finish concealer if you want similar coverage and/or if you're looking to apply it on a day you want lighter makeup.)

Setting Powder:
Really light dusting of Studio Fix Powder (NC43)
MAC Blot Powder Pressed (Dark)

Touch up using Blot Powder throughout the day...so you don't get cakey. Stay away from Studio Fix Powder for touchups. (I've made that mistake and come away looking like an oompa-loompa.)

(And seriously...after years of not knowing any better...that Oil Control lotion is gold.)

HTH!

Enjoy yourself!
greengrin.gif