Swearing on the forum

vloky

I haven't even noticed any foul language. I thing somethingawful forums and fadetoblack forums (other places I occassionally frequent..) supercede this forum for foul language. I usually restrain myself here, because as christine said "swearing isn't pretty"

vloky

also, if we are going to start pointing out curse words, soon we will be attacking people for improper grammar, like another forum I sometimes visit barbelith does, they can edit your post for an improper use of a word (wrong tense, atrocious spelling, etc) I agree with Jude, this thread must die. *squeezes life out of thread with eyelash curlers*

Janice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vloky
*squeezes life out of thread with eyelash curlers*

rofl.gif
th_worship.gif

Bexx

*Covers ears, shakes head* Oh stop it caffn8me! Please go elsewhere to preach. I really feel you are over stepping the line. We all play well together, so If you have any major conncerns re: Specktra, maybe this isnt the place for you.
I know I am being slightly rude, you need not tell me that.
P.S. This is not the 1st time your outspoken beliefs have erked me and I am sure others agree. End of my lil rant!

macchicaboom

seriously, just don't come here if you don't like it. simple as that. you shouldn't expect others to conform to what you want or what you think is proper.

joytheobscure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude
Let me preface this by saying that I hold Master's degree from a stellar NY institution and come from a healthy, well rounded upbringing that involved two loving parents who are still together to this day. I am not saying this to brag, I am telling you this because, guess what... I curse. I curse despite having an excellent vocabulary and very good communication skills. I don't always curse and I rarely curse here. As a matter of fact, for the most part, I choose to use *** instead of the actual curse but the curse is obviously intended. Yeah.. I know.

One of the best things about Specktra is that this is a forum for people to express their opinions in whatever way they seem fit. Different viewpoints are encouraged and a debate about those ideas will likely begin but that is healthy. Thank god we don't agree on everything here.. it would be so f*cking boring.
winks.gif

I didn't want to quote your entire post, but let me say I totally agree.
I am a teacher, I have a liberal arts degree and 214 hours, grad and undergrad. I also am human with my obsessions and I like having a place that is totally cool and not overly censored where people talk about stuff that I like.....

I like being on a forum where if I need to vent or talk about how blanking awesome the new mac collection is I can. This is the first forum where I've felt comfortable by using a tag line that totally expresses me. Language doesn't bother me, censorship does. I am an adult and I can handle seeing inappropriate language because I don't believe that anyone here will go to hell for it or I won't be embarrassed by it. If I ever feel the desire to be sheltered from language in my cosmetic forums I will begin to sell Mary Kay and go to their cult like meetings full of pink cars, hugs and rainbows. LOL

But if anything I say offends you I apologize in advance b/c I never know when something might come out of my virtual "mouth" . I like this forum the way it is- people are nice and know about makeup.

joytheobscure

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrevel
I'm sorry, but I would just like to say that some of the most brilliant literature has swear words in it, and we still read it in high school when we're minors, so I don't think that it has anything at all to do with being articulate, nor anything to do with being educated. Words have meaning only when we assign it to them, and I have to say that I do not find the use of swear words on here at all excessive. I really like specktra because there are so few regulations, and yet we all coexist peacefully and learn things from each other, and isn't that what this is all about, feeling free to be yourself and speak your mind, even if your mind wants to say some naughty words from time to time? They're just words, and this isn't church.

Thats so true, I taught HS English last year and the main thing that got some of my kids hooked on certain classic novels was the use of not so politically correct language. I have to quote a sophomore boy on this "The swear words got me hooked and then I liked the rest of the book" (On "Of Mice and Men" by Steinbeck). They enjoyed Hamlet because of Shakespeare's racier material. Thankfully I only had to justify the "classics"I taught to one parent.

Isis

Quote:
Originally Posted by joytheobscure
Thats so true, I taught HS English last year and the main thing that got some of my kids hooked on certain classic novels was the use of not so politically correct language.

Lets not forget Mark Twain either. His work deffinitelly riled up some controversey! Not to mention the works almost got banned from the school systems. Thankfully no ones uses that language here because that would be crossing way over the line. And that's pretty much were I'd draw it.
I agree with most everyone here on the subject of forum swearing. There are huge differences. And we're all human and subject to fallabilities.
I think the horse is dead now.

prppygrl69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude
I am sorry that you would make a statement that Specktra has the worst language in any forum that you have visited. You must not have visited many makeup forums (most notably the ones you find on Live Journal and MySpace) because if you actually do some research on this subject, you will learn that Specktra is one of the 'cleanest', safest and most welcoming of all the makeup forums/communities. Even though Specktra has very active moderators, I have learned that our main job is to encourage people, inform people and help keep the sight maintained. There is very little need to actually mod people here because the ladies that visit this forum (for the most part) are mature and decent women and girls who self moderate. Of course there is going to be a renegade that pisses (oops!) people off and posts things that in my opinion, do not fit the theme of Specktra. I even ranted about it once, but I would never want to see them censored unless they broke the most common rules of forum cohabitation (trolling, stalking, personal attacks).

im deff seconding that i agree with her 100% specktra is the cleanest and most welcoming and has the most mature men and women

Miss Pumpkin

I agree with leppy completely.

Also I've been a moderator for around 6 years in the official website of the british band Muse, and you should see the posts in there... And no one gives a damn about swearing. Specktra is definitely not the forum with the worst language in the internet.

And about the whole minors thing... Those minors you're trying to protect with the non swearing are exposed to media, violent movies, newspaper photographs and news on tv every single day that show them things they shouldn't be seeing. Are you going to censor the BBC too?

The solution is not censoring stuff, but teaching minors that it's their choice to swear or not.

prppygrl69

clapping.gif
very nicely put
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pumpkin
I agree with leppy completely.

Also I've been a moderator for around 6 years in the official website of the british band Muse, and you should see the posts in there... And no one gives a damn about swearing. Specktra is definitely not the forum with the worst language in the internet.

And about the whole minors thing... Those minors you're trying to protect with the non swearing are exposed to media, violent movies, newspaper photographs and news on tv every single day that show them things they shouldn't be seeing. Are you going to censor the BBC too?

The solution is not censoring stuff, but teaching minors that it's their choice to swear or not.

Pink_minx

In my opinion I dont mind people saying bad words. Bad words help express the persons feelings lol when they get really angry or sad. Now if it was bad words towards a person then I wouldnt like it at all. But I dont think specktra will have a BIG problem with that. We are mature ladies
smiles.gif
and gents. I know we all have respect for each other so I dont think it wont be such a big problem in here.

stella.

It's surprising to hear that this forum swears the most out of all you're on, because to me this is nothing.

So far it doesn't look like the mods agree, but even if the admin decides to censor words, it will not make that much of a difference. The word will be censored but it won't mean they're not swearing. Also, it's extremely easy to get around the censors and swear.

Pimptress

.0332% of the posts here contain the f-bomb according to the numbers provided in the 3rd post in this thread. I don't know about everyone else, but that doesn't seem very threatening to me.

I own and run a small forum of people who are all friends in real life and online, with only 62 members (due to a recent reinstallment of the boards, we previously had over 100 members). Our current post total is 4,194 posts, and doing a search of "Fuck" yielded 65 posts. 65 out of 4,194, or 33 out of 99,299???? There's a message board right there that is worse than specktra. To say that the members of my board are vulgar, illiterate people would be completely off target. The members are a combination of mothers, teachers, siblings, best friends, people with degrees, people without degrees. The thing that makes us a family is that we all care and respect for each other. Even with swearing. People who join quickly discover that even the word "cunt" is not taboo, yet is something to be embraced and not be offended by. I'm a cunt? Hell yeah I'm a cunt, don't try to use your words to offend me. I am HIGHER than that. Words are just words. Words words words, and I've already said too much. I know this thread is dead, but I thought the mathematical calculation of the percentage of posts containing "fuck" was hilarious.

Also, I'm not sure if most people were brought up in ultra-conservative communities in real life, or what, because I certainly wouldn't think there'd be any CHILDREN browsing this forum, as children wearing makeup certainly doesn't seem right (although, any 'child' who wears makeup probably knows every swear word in the book) and I don't know about ya'll, but when I was 16 and started wearing makeup, I also swore on a daily basis, too. I wasn't presented with a sheet of curse words when I turned 18. I already knew them!

If there's ANYONE here who for the first time in their entire life saw the word "fuck" or any other curse word because of specktra, PLEASE, by all means, step forward, and tell your story of how it changed your life for the worst.

Chelly

this is arguably the cleanest forum (language wise) i've ever been to - its a nice change from hearing every single curse thrown at you at once but regardless i dont think its a big deal if people curse. to each his own.

pucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelly
this is arguably the cleanest forum (language wise) i've ever been to - its a nice change from hearing every single curse thrown at you at once but regardless i dont think its a big deal if people curse. to each his own.

I agree! This is the forum that I'm most aware of being on my best behaviour- because everyone is so polite!

NutMeg

Personally I think attitude is more important that words. Not only do I find that swearing is kept to a minimum here, but the attitude of Specktra members is very open and welcoming. When you come here you know that you will be supported and befriended. I like this site. End of story.
smiles.gif

blueyedlady87

OMG, if people didnt make such a big deal out of it, cussing wouldnt be taboo and therefore not as many people would feel the need the cuss.