The dreaded annual gyno appointment.

Pink_minx

Thats funny how they have those signs like that. I should be getting mine sometime this year eh! Its hard trying to relax having that thing inside you and you are all like "open" you know ehh. Well my doctor is a lady so im more comfortable having a lady doctor.

IslandGirl77

Man, everytime I go to the gyno they always comment on my shoes. Oooh I love your shoes where did you get those! LOL I'm thinking that this is just to wierd and uncomfortable. The last check up I got the Dr. was talking about my make-up. Then during the exam she tells the nurse to look at my make-up! And was like it's so nice, I wish I knew how to do my make-up like that. I just want them to hurry up and get it over with. I suppose they do that to try and take away some of the tension. Worse of all though, this one time the Dr. had a intern in the room with us. She was like he's just here to watch. Next thing I know, she's handing him the speculum and telling him to do my exam!!!!!! I was like WTF!!! Man I hate those visits. I always feel uncomfortable.

tayliah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat210
Scoot to the front of the table. aah man. I have 3 kids. It doesn't bother me anymore because I feel like 985794759 have seen me and prodded around in there. Lets see you go once a month when you are pregnant and during the last month of pregnancy you go in weekly for exams.. and when you have the baby.. hey its open house.
Anyways I definately go to women doctors. They also have smaller hands than men. The guys seem like pervs to me.

i had a baby too so i am feeling you on that part. i actually had to go a lot more because i was high risk. it doesnt even bother me to go anymore after living through that...LOL

joytheobscure

I haven't went since 2001 (third child) every time I go to the gen. clinic I get told I should make an apt. at the women's clinic. I'm worried about my lungs working... not about paps... I'm sorry you are uncomfortable, I dont like going I'd go for pregnancy thats about it. My current medical trauma is I'm finally getting all my teeth worked on.

caffn8me

This might sound a little extreme but if anyone really has serious anxiety about visiting the gynaecologist they might speak to their regular physician first and get a prescription for an anxiolytic drug such as diazepam to calm their nerves. It's often given orally prior to minor procedures. In extreme cases an intravenous injection of midazolam may be indicated as it causes something called retrograde amnesia - the patient loses their memory of events for a few minutes after the injection and the few minutes before.

blueyedlady87

I hate it. I'll never get used to it. I will only see a girl. I think my fear stems back to me being molested when I was younger. So it brings back memories of that, having a stranger poking around and stuff. I only go b/c its a requirement to get my birth control pills. Otherwise, I wouldn't. Anyways, I totally know what your going through.

MisStarrlight

Gah! I just went to mine yesterday. I refuse to go to a male dr-not even a regular doctor. the fact that my dentist is a male kinda bothers me, even.
The first time I went I was away at college...freshmen year, no car to go off campus, 6 hours from home & barely 18...and they only had one crotch dr...and of course, it was some old dude with facial hair (hasn't it been proven that people don't trust guys w/ facial hair?)
I nearly had a panic attack right there in the little room.

Since then I've had about 12,000 abnormal pap smears, the clippies, the freezies, the burnies. (Biopsy, colposcopy & the lazer thing) so I've gotten pretty used to it all. But you can be sure as hell that I've switch to a female doctor when all that started happening.

AlliSwan

I remember being pretty damn nervouse about going the first time, but it's just part of life and it ended up being NOTHING. I did really like my gyno, though, but then she retired last year grrr....I ended up going to see my mom's gyno, a man she'd been going to since before she was pregnant with me! Even though I always swore I would NEVER go to a man, he's awesome. There's always a female nurse in the room with him (some b*tch tried to sue him, saying he violated her, and he was more than willing to go to court to prove his innocence and integrity and she dropped it bc she was lying anyway), and he's very soothing, very understanding, just in general a great guy. Of course, I'm really not shy about much of anything, so....maybe I'm not the best one for a pep talk!

But yeah, it's not crazy to ask them about anxiety and perhaps getting a mild anxiety treatment/pill (um...I took a tiny shard of a xanax before my piercing and each of my tattoos) before the exam. Just find a doc you trust before getting on the table. It's over SO quickly!

Just please promise me you won't be like this girl I grew up with (but don't talk to anymore). She's 22 and has never been to a gyno and is DEFINITELY sexually active. Her mother is a NURSE. WTF!!??!

Peaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corv's Queen
rofl.gif
HA! HA!

That's too funny.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. OMG hahahahahah.

Can't stop laughing!

I have a lovely vagina.
smiles.gif

sbetsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
Here's one for you. My sister's mother-in-law is not too bright. She had seen on the news that there were as a scare involving false negatives in pap smear tests and there had also been quite a rise in the incidence of cervical cancer. She rang up my sister's husband and told him to go to the doctor to see if he had "caught" cervical cancer as there was a lot of it about
rofl.gif

Nice! Hey, thanks for your caring comments. You know, my current nurse practitioner was really, really nice and professional and yet it was still creepy. It's just a tough situation for some of us gals, but we do appreciate kindness from our doctors
smiles.gif

sbetsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbie_doll_713
I hate it. I'll never get used to it. I will only see a girl. I think my fear stems back to me being molested when I was younger. So it brings back memories of that, having a stranger poking around and stuff. I only go b/c its a requirement to get my birth control pills. Otherwise, I wouldn't. Anyways, I totally know what your going through.

That makes sense. I'm sorry that you had that experience - I've got something similar in my past too. Maybe that's it. Hhhmpfh.
ssad.gif

Beauty Marked

i went bc i have horrible cramps...they sometimes come with fevers... in highschool i always had to go to the nurse and she knew me by name and knew why i was there...so i went to see if i could go on birthcontrol bc i heard that helps regulate periods and relieve cramps...exactly what i needed... since i was on my period at the time the only thing he did was check my breasts...he had the coldest hands ever... and then i was all nervous bc he was feeling up on me... and he was like "you have beautiful breasts" i was like wtf? and i never went again...i think i'll stick to midol thanks.

sbetsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Marked
i went bc i have horrible cramps...they sometimes come with fevers... in highschool i always had to go to the nurse and she knew me by name and knew why i was there...so i went to see if i could go on birthcontrol bc i heard that helps regulate periods and relieve cramps...exactly what i needed... since i was on my period at the time the only thing he did was check my breasts...he had the coldest hands ever... and then i was all nervous bc he was feeling up on me... and he was like "you have beautiful breasts" i was like wtf? and i never went again...i think i'll stick to midol thanks.

CREEPY! That's horrible. I'm so so sorry.

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Marked
the only thing he did was check my breasts...he had the coldest hands ever... and then i was all nervous bc he was feeling up on me... and he was like "you have beautiful breasts" i was like wtf? and i never went again...i think i'll stick to midol thanks.

That is almost certainly what medical students sometimes call a TUBE - a Totally Unnecessary Breast Examination. It may amount to gross professional misconduct in your situation and quite possibly assault. You should report it even if that was years ago. That's horrible.

blueyedlady87

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbetsy
That makes sense. I'm sorry that you had that experience - I've got something similar in my past too. Maybe that's it. Hhhmpfh.
ssad.gif

Thankx so much. I'm sorry to hear it happened to you too. My parents wrote it off as "They were both kids" and i was like, 'he was 16, i was 9. wtf?' i had to get on the pill, my cramps were so killer I could barely get out of bed.

jmdulock

I don't think anyone "likes" going. I deal with it cuz it's 10 minutes once a year. My gyno won't refill my bc prescription unless I go so I HAVE to.

sbetsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbie_doll_713
Thankx so much. I'm sorry to hear it happened to you too. My parents wrote it off as "They were both kids" and i was like, 'he was 16, i was 9. wtf?' i had to get on the pill, my cramps were so killer I could barely get out of bed.

That sucks. I wish that it was more rare than it is, but I bet most of us have something sketchy in our pasts.

Beauty Marked

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
That is almost certainly what medical students sometimes call a TUBE - a Totally Unnecessary Breast Examination. It may amount to gross professional misconduct in your situation and quite possibly assault. You should report it even if that was years ago. That's horrible.

o0o i told my mom and she was like duh u're young and they're big and perky...he was just saying that they're healthy and fine...but i asked her for a girl dr. instead next time i need a check up
p.s. he's also the same doc that recieved me at birth and he knows my whole family..they're all patients of his as well thats why my mom said that it was innocent and i shouldnt worry

_su

Am I the only one who doesn't mind gyno appts? Maybe cuz I've had so many (more than I can count TBH).

I especially don't mind male gynos, and kind of take offense when other women do. He's a doctor. This is his JOB. It's just a vagina, get over it (I'm sorry to sound so harsh, but I absolutely adore my current male gyno-- he's gay and flamboyant and the last time I came in, he saw me and shrieked at the top of his lungs "OMIGAWD YOUR HAIR IS SO RED! I LOOOOVVVVEEE IITTTT!!!" He's just so cute.)

And, ladies, I have HAD the awkward old men gynos. One even told me I was "unusually small" down there and they had to use the smallest forceps in the whole office on me. Hahaha is that supposed to be a compliment?

Another funny GYN story: I had to have a minor surgery to remove some pre-cancerous cells. I was put to sleep for the whole thing, because they basically turn you upside down to get in there. Apparently, while I was out-cold, I started muttering about my "highly-placed cervix" and how I hoped I wasn't too much trouble for everyone in the OR. My mother had an absolute field day when my doc told her this story =)