The *Friend*

juxt123

This really upsets me because i have been the one who brought someone with me while getting my eyes done..i love asking their opinion and interecting with them and the ma about colors and what they think looks good on me..working in retail this is what you will get and should expect..asking to redo the makeup 5 times is silly but so what if she asks her friend.

Bernadette

Quote:
Originally Posted by juxt123
This really upsets me because i have been the one who brought someone with me while getting my eyes done..i love asking their opinion and interecting with them and the ma about colors and what they think looks good on me..working in retail this is what you will get and should expect..asking to redo the makeup 5 times is silly but so what if she asks her friend.

There is a difference between bringing someone with you and asking their opinions and bringing someone with you that inables us from doing our freaking job. Bringing someone with you that bosses us around, wastes our time and prevents us form actually helping or teaching the person whose makeup is getting done is what Nyla is clearly refering to. Whether you are the one that can't form an opinion of your own or the one bossing us around, it is rude, annoying and like I said a waste of our time. There is a difference between asking a friend what they think and asking them after every single step.

Anyyyway, Nyla, I totally agree. I had one of the bossy friends last weekend. She wanted the eyes changed and ended up making my customer feel insecure about it until she agreed. The eyeshadow was already very natural but the friend told me to lighten it five different times. It ended up looking like it was just woodwinked on her entire eye. She wasn't overly mean about it like some people can be.
I think the worst is the clueless friend who you know you can actually teach something to and give a look to that they would have at least some chance of wanting to recreate but their bossy friend is sitting there telling you what to do. What I usually do is in a kind of joking tone say "Well she is the one that has to wear it so what she says goes." I even told a girl once in a joking voice "You've been vetoed." and the actual customer laughed and seemed relieved that I kind of halted her friends ideas, it broke the ice and calmed down the demands.

Bernadette

I'm sorry but I have to ad that I think it's ridiculous that we can't come on here and voice opinions about situations we deal with in our jobs and can all relate to without having some know-it-all that has never been in our shoes coming in and either telling us "That is your job, you have to deal with that" or "You shouldn't have taken the job then." or "I can match a foundation from a picture and I'm not even a professional" blah blah blah.
You know what, you don't have our job and you don't get to tell us how we are doing it or what situations you have not been in are like. We should be able to come on here and discuss these things without having to hear that BS.
I think whoever mentioned having an artist only section where we can talk about work situatiosn was really onto something....
rant.gif

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernadette
There is a difference between bringing someone with you and asking their opinions and bringing someone with you that inables us from doing our freaking job. Bringing someone with you that bosses us around, wastes our time and prevents us form actually helping or teaching the person whose makeup is getting done is what Nyla is clearly refering to. Whether you are the one that can't form an opinion of your own or the one bossing us around, it is rude, annoying and like I said a waste of our time. There is a difference between asking a friend what they think and asking them after every single step.

Anyyyway, Nyla, I totally agree. I had one of the bossy friends last weekend. She wanted the eyes changed and ended up making my customer feel insecure about it until she agreed. The eyeshadow was already very natural but the friend told me to lighten it five different times. It ended up looking like it was just woodwinked on her entire eye. She wasn't overly mean about it like some people can be.
I think the worst is the clueless friend who you know you can actually teach something to and give a look to that they would have at least some chance of wanting to recreate but their bossy friend is sitting there telling you what to do. What I usually do is in a kind of joking tone say "Well she is the one that has to wear it so what she says goes." I even told a girl once in a joking voice "You've been vetoed." and the actual customer laughed and seemed relieved that I kind of halted her friends ideas, it broke the ice and calmed down the demands.

Exactly. It's understandable that someone would trust a friend's opinion, after all, most friends will be honest with you and they know what you will wear and not wear. If the friend is trying to push a person into a direction they are not comfortable with or tries to make a person feel bad for the way they look,("You shouldn't be wearing natural colors, it makes you look like crap. You NEED to wear Electric Eel!") then that's when it is frustrating. It's also kind of frustrating when someone barks commands at you, whether it be the friend or a customer...or anyone for that matter. Manners go a long way.

CantAffordMAC

I'm sorry to hear that you guys go through this. It seems silly. Personally, when I go to MAC I bring my boyfriend (because he's the one who takes me there) and I ask him if he likes something (he's not dumb enough to say no lol) but even if he gave me his critique, I'm the one wearing it. and if I want it or like it, then thats the only thing that matters.

I can't imagine even going into MAC with too many people. Maybe just one or two friends I have. The first friend is vey quiet and doesn't wear makeup, so she would probably give me her honest opinion but thats all. The other friend is just loud and ghetto and she's the one that taught me to start wearing makeup. Even though back then it was sparkly pink shadow and cat eyes with metallic pink lip gloss everyday lol. Sorry to interrupt you guys's topic. If I was a makeup artist and someone kept telling me how to do the makeup I'd probably just end up ignoring them and talking to the client.

CaraAmericana

Quote:

I feel like you might be be comimg on a lil too strong here. I don't think the M.A. needed to be reminded this is their job and this retail..........

I am sure the OP didn't give any bad customer service in retaliation. In fact, them venting here on the board probably helps in keep it together at the counter, knowing they are not the only ones who have difficult customers.

And in fact I learn from this section of the forum to be more aware of my behavior at the counter so they I can help myself get the most and best from my MAC visits.

wolfsong

Quote:
I think whoever mentioned having an artist only section where we can talk about work situatiosn was really onto something....
rant.gif

Thats a great idea (if it can still be read - but not posted in - by others, because some of the stories are bloody amusing!) But seriously, the amount of crap that you guys have to put up with - and no, being abused, harassed or talked down to is not part of your job description - is shocking. I think the companys should let you refuse to service abusive people (that doesnt seem to be in play). I dont think it would take long for your job to have more negative factors, than positive ones if you had no way of venting, and had to bottle it all up. Thats why its great that places like this exist, so that you can unload, and find solace through shared experiences.

Simply Elegant

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfsong
Thats a great idea (if it can still be read - but not posted in - by others, because some of the stories are bloody amusing!) But seriously, the amount of crap that you guys have to put up with - and no, being abused, harassed or talked down to is not part of your job description - is shocking. I think the companys should let you refuse to service abusive people (that doesnt seem to be in play). I dont think it would take long for your job to have more negative factors, than positive ones if you had no way of venting, and had to bottle it all up. Thats why its great that places like this exist, so that you can unload, and find solace through shared experiences.

Employees do have a right to refuse service.
smiles.gif
I've done it once before.

User67

Quote:

User67

Quote:
I'm sorry but I have to ad that I think it's ridiculous that we can't come on here and voice opinions about situations we deal with in our jobs and can all relate to without having some know-it-all that has never been in our shoes coming in and either telling us "That is your job, you have to deal with that" or "You shouldn't have taken the job then." or "I can match a foundation from a picture and I'm not even a professional" blah blah blah.
You know what, you don't have our job and you don't get to tell us how we are doing it or what situations you have not been in are like. We should be able to come on here and discuss these things without having to hear that BS.
rant.gif

Shimmer

We're trying to work a solution to this problem, y'all. Give us a little time. In the meantime, everyone please remember that EVERY job needs a place where people can vent and talk about the frustrations of the day, including working for MAC. Many people think it would be a dream job, but there are downsides to it too.
Everyone needs a place to vent, and right now, this is their place. There are entire threads dedicated to complaining about MAs, let the MAs have their 'spot' too.

User67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
We're trying to work a solution to this problem, y'all. Give us a little time. In the meantime, everyone please remember that EVERY job needs a place where people can vent and talk about the frustrations of the day, including working for MAC. Many people think it would be a dream job, but there are downsides to it too.
Everyone needs a place to vent, and right now, this is their place. There are entire threads dedicated to complaining about MAs, let the MAs have their 'spot' too.

gigglegirl

Though I'm not a MAC MA I agree with Wolfsong's post above--I like reading some of the craziness that occurs. I can definitely empathize with the MA's who just need to vent with other MAs but have someone get all defensive and "its your job". Ugh gets old quick. Yes I've brought my mom to say "yay" but would never be like "I think you should use X eyeshadow instead" b/c honestly I look up to the MA's, the ones I've met and been helped by are fantastic and of course wizards at putting on the makeup!! I like having a friendly rapport talking about new collections I've learned about here, and application techniques.

My post doesn't have much other point than to say I'm supportive of you MA's and all the BS you have to put up with both on the job and off!!

CaraAmericana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer

Agree 100%

glam8babe

i totally agree... i never take my friends with me well 1) they dont know what mac is 2) i like to look and shop on my own or with my bf and 3) i dont want their opinions anyway as they dont know much about makeup

i really feel sorri for u MA's who get crap.. and not just MA's.. i was a waitress last year and the crap i got just made me quit.

NutMeg

I find it really annoying that MAs can't bring up an aspect of their job that they don't enjoy without getting jumped all over by someone who thinks that because someone works in the service industry, they should never get upset about any part of their job. No offense, but everyone has days and situations that just make them upset or annoyed, and they need to talk about it. Just because some of the MAs here don't like the interfering friend doesn't mean that they were rude to that person, or that they disagree with bringing a friend by the counter, or that they don't like their job, etc. For goodness sake, give them a break. They have to deal with all of the bitchy threads on this site about horrible MAs, let them rant if they want. Plus, I'm sure everyone here has vented about their job before, why can't they? Don't take the things they vent about so personally.

lara

Quote:

Sorry, but no. Nyla is absolutely justified in making a legitimate complaint and you do not have the authority to shoot her down. If you don't like hearing about about what the people on the other side of the make-up brush think about life in in the beauty industry, don't read the Industry forum.

Juxt, this is your second warning for being rude to other members. If you can't be polite, refrain from typing.

redambition

oh god, yes this sucks.

i've witnessed it at a counter a few times and i have always let the MA totally finish up before serving me... because you know that these bossy know it alls are going complain that the MA ducked away for a minute to grab the eye shadow i know i want.

i saw one where the friend was literally standing right behind the MA, peering over her shoulder as the MA did an eye look on the customer. i don't know how the poor MA managed to work like that
ssad.gif