Those w/ Relaxed and Color Treated Hair

garnetmoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAChostage
^^What is "cowashing"?

cowashing is conditioner washing where instead of using any kind of shampoo you only use conditioner to wash your hair. this can but good if you don't have too much build up, oils, or etc. in your hair. you could use a clarifying conditioner as your "shampoo" to get rid of any mild build up and then continue on with your regular moisterizing conditioner and deep conditioner. this method is also good if you wash your hair multiple times a week as shampoo can be very hard on the hair no matter what kind you use so you can alternate between cowashings and poowashings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doniad101
Hey ladies,

Just wondering what those w/ Relaxed and Color Treated Hair use as Shampoo and Conditioners etc. or any other tips to keep your hair healthy, shiny etc.

Thanks
clap.gif
cheerleader.gif
clap.gif

i'm also a bit of a product junkie who is also on a mission to develop a good haircare regimen that enhances growth, protects my hair, keeps it hydrated and strong. from what i've found shampoo and conditioner alone won't do this. i'm not sure if you have the same goals or not so i won't go into detail about a regimen. i have relaxed hair that used to be highlight but most of the highlights have grown out now. generally interms of shampoo i like Nexxus Therappe and for conditioners i like Nexxus Humectress or Suave Humectant, Creme of Nature Nourishing Conditioner, and Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Hair Mask(it's like a 3-5 minute no heat needed deep conditioner that i mix with my other conditioners). hth
smiles.gif

lovely333

please share your regimen I am having trouble with breakage and dandruff too many relaxers and heat I guess

MACa6325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely333
please share your regimen I am having trouble with breakage and dandruff too many relaxers and heat I guess

Be careful with the type of relaxer you or your stylist is using. Some of these relaxers are too harsh for our hair. For dandruff I use "grease" in my hair. I'm old fashioned but my scalp can't do without it. I like Natural Oasis Herbal hair and scalp conditioner. I also use Natural Oasis Shea Butter and Scalp Butter. I use the Shea butter formula on my hair, not scalp to add moisture. I also use Soft and Beautiful Botaniclas Tea Tree Scalp Therapy Spray for moisture and it helps control the itching and dandruff. I just spray this oil directly onto my scalp and I just love it. I think anything with Shea Butter is good for your hair and body. I also like Kemi Oyl for my hair and scalp. Sleep with a Satin Bonnet, Scarf, or pillow. Don't go to bed without any of these items, drink plenty of water, find a stylist that is going to help your hair get healthy, not someone who just "slaps' relaxers on it.

garnetmoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely333

well being that i'm a product junkie i'm always reformulating what i use or trying different things out but the principles and procedures are pretty much the same. firstly i agree w/ MACa6325xi in terms of the type of relaxer you're using. i read that you shouldn't be getting your hair relaxed until you've fixed whatever problem is causing the breakage or damage. i know that's hard and most ppl don't follow that but if you can you may want to take a break from relaxing altogether. if not then you can try a good haircare routine to improve your hair while relaxing...i've been using Affirm lye relaxer for years now with no probs so i would recommend it. i've also used Designer's Touch and Mizani but i prefer Affirm.

for my regimen...the key to things is low maintanence the more i do the more hair i seem to break or shed. that means limited combing (i use a wide tooth comb only), brushing, no direct heat (hood dryers are ok and i use them occassionally) and i wash my hair once a week and get it relaxed every 8-10wks. i don't suggested getting it relaxed any sooner than about 7 or 8 weeks. when i wash my hair i do a preconditioning first then i wash, do a deep conditioning or protein treatment, rinse use a regular quick conditioner and rinse. after washing i use a moisturizing and protein leave in and coat with oil to seal and let my hair airdry. daily i put a moisturizing cream, a protein cream or a mixture of both on my hair (not scalp) concentrating on my ends and then seal with an oil. in my scalp i use a mixture of essential oils and carrier oils with a scalp massage to stimulate growth. i don't wear my hair out anymore only in protective styles (styles that keep your ends up and/or tucked away from clothing and sun exposure) usually a bun. before i put it in a bun i put on a shine serum (Neutrogena Triple Moisture Healing Shine Serum) to protect from UV/UB rays and i spray w/ Organic Root Stimulator's Olive Oil sheen spray. every night i sleep w/a satin scarf and twist my hair into mini buns or two braids. ok that was a mouth full...below i've provided examples of the products that i use for the regimen i layed out above.

Preconditioning (put in night before or 1-3 hrs before washing/make sure hair is saturated but not dripping and cover w/ a plastic cap):
-Suave Humectant Conditioner with a mix of glycerin and essentials oils (EO) like rosemary, thyme, peppermint, lavendar, etc. (different EOs work in different ways to promote growth, stop shedding breakage, etc.). I also will throw in a carrier oil like jojoba, coconut, grapeseed, castor oil, sweet almond oil or whatever i have on hand.
-Simply use coconut oil alone or mix it with any other carrier/EO oils.

Washing:
-Nexxus Humectress (most of the time) or Cream of Nature Nourishing Shampoo

Deep Conditioning (30+mins w/ heat):
-Any conditioner works here i tend to mix Suave Humectant, Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Hair Mask and Nexxus Emergencee.

Protein/Reconstructing (30+mins w/ heat):
-Even though Emergencee is a mild protein treatment sometimes i do a full protein/reconstructing treatment instead of deep conditioning, for that i just use Affirm 5 in 1 Recontructor

Quick Conditioning (3-5 minutes no heat):
-Cream of Nature Nourishing Conditioner, Lustrasilk Aloevera Cholesterol and Lustrasilk Placenta and Jojoba Oil Cholesterol all mixed together.

Conditioning after washing:
-Spray Hask Placenta protein on hair first wait 3 minutes then Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk Touch Leave-in and coat hair with coconut oil.

Daily Routine:
Moisture Cream: Hollywood Beauty Carrot Creme and/or Glycerin with water
Protein Cream: Cantu Shea Butter Grow Strong Strengthening Treatment
Seal with any carrier oil on hand or that you like.

Scalp Oil (massaged into scalp daily after moisturizing & sealing rest of hair):
i found this on the internet and have been using it for months. i like it and i have seen some growth in my thinning temples my hairdresser even commented on it;
Mix the following:
1/2 tsp jojoba oil
4 tsp grapeseed oil
2 drops cedarwood EO
3 drops lavendar EO
3 drops rosmary EO
2 drops thyme EO

if you use any EOs make sure they are true EOs and not essences...true EOs are usually more expensive and can be found in healthfood stores in amber bottles ranging from 5ml-1oz. also note that EOs should not be used directly from the bottle but should be mixed with a carrier oil. Carrier oils however can be used by themselves.

finally in order to understand some things about good haircare maintanence the importance of moisture, protein, sealing and assessing your hair i suggest you take a look at this link and website http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/foru....asp?TID=22392. sorry for the book but i wanted to be thorough...good luck on your hair journey.

lovely333

Thank you so much garnetmoon. I guess I just got comfortable with treating my hair any kind of way. When I was younger I could do what ever I wanted my hair was thick and grew fast. Color, relaxers you name it I've done it. But now that I'm older with two kids my hair is a mess. So I have to take the time and energy to do better. Thanks ladies

mochajavalatte

I use Pureology, it is ABSOLUTELY amazing for relaxed/colored hair.
I would say try looking for their products on Ebay because it is pretty pricey otherwise. Unless of course you know a cosmetologist who can get you a discount!

lafemmenoir

i'm also a bit of a product junkie who is also on a mission to develop a good haircare regimen that enhances growth, protects my hair, keeps it hydrated and strong. from what i've found shampoo and conditioner alone won't do this. i'm not sure if you have the same goals or not so i won't go into detail about a regimen.[/quote]

You and I are right >>>>>>>>>>>HERE<<<<<<<<<<<<<< on the regimen and hair growth. I am so amazed at how long my hair has gotten. Do you use the Crown n Glory method also? I use CON and depending on what my hair's condition, I alternate between moisturisers and reconstructor's. I like Bed Head's Dumb Blonde and S Factor, Nexxus' Emergencee and loads of others. I'm really impressed. Good luck to you ladies as well!
cheerleader.gif

MAChostage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochajavalatte
I would say try looking for their products on Ebay because it is pretty pricey otherwise. Unless of course you know a cosmetologist who can get you a discount!

I just went to the PureOlogy website and looked at their products, specifically the Hydrate System. I used the salon locator and found 3 salons in my little hick town (surprise!) that carry this line and was told by one that they charge $25 each for the shampoo and conditioner. I'd love to try it but don't want to drop this amount on something that I might not like.
ssad.gif

Which system of this line are you using for your hair? I was also told that the Hydrate System smells minty and is tingly (two characteristics I do NOT like in my hair products). That description brought dandruff treatment products to mind and, fortunately, that's one issue I don't have. I also one to try the Phyto line, which is even more expensive I believe. What's a girl to do?

Thanks for all the good info here though, ladies!

tiffdultimate

I am relaxed and also have colored hair. The best products by far are KeraCare. They have a great conditioner for color treated hair and their dry & itchy line is amazing.

mzdawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochajavalatte

2nd this. Its expensive, and am not really that it's worth the retail cost. I had a discount at the place I was working part-time so I bought the Silver Line.

I like Redken a lot as well.

ARmakeupjunkie

I used the Phyto Dry Hair Set to Go yesterday, which included Phytojoba shampoo, Phytojoba mask, and Phyto 7. My hair is so soft it's crazy.

Lipglass*Lover*

*~*I used to use Pantene for WOC...but then I switched to Sunsilk (Straighten Up)....I love it. It makes it sooo much easier for me to blow-dry my hair & straighten it!!*~*

tiffdultimate

I have tried just about everything and the best that I have found is KeraCare. Their dry and itchy line is wonderful.

MAChostage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARmakeupjunkie
I used the Phyto Dry Hair Set to Go yesterday, which included Phytojoba shampoo, Phytojoba mask, and Phyto 7. My hair is so soft it's crazy.

Based on your post, and my curiosity about Phyto products, I immediately went online and ordered this set. I've used it twice now and my observation is that it does soften the hair well (mine is naturally curly/wavy/fine and is color treated). It was just ok for me. What I don't like about it: 1) if I don't use some kind of styling aid afterwards, like a light gel, my hair will be POOF like a mug! I can't stand that; 2) Boo on thin, runny shampoos (just a personal preference of mine); and 3) the price.

But I guess it really does do what it purports to do!

MACaholic76

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAChostage
Based on your post, and my curiosity about Phyto products, I immediately went online and ordered this set. I've used it twice now and my observation is that it does soften the hair well (mine is naturally curly/wavy/fine and is color treated). It was just ok for me. What I don't like about it: 1) if I don't use some kind of styling aid afterwards, like a light gel, my hair will be POOF like a mug! I can't stand that; 2) Boo on thin, runny shampoos (just a personal preference of mine); and 3) the price.

But I guess it really does do what it purports to do!

Thank you for posting this. I was also curious about the Phyto line.

MACaholic76

I also use Pantene but the friggen WoC line is so hard to find in my area. I am good with what I use though. I have very very curly hair that within days of my attempt to straighten it gets wavy/curls (see avatar photo). I'm also a color/highlight maniac and the Pantene, along with Aphogee 2 minute keratin treatment have kept my hair from breaking and further damage.
Instead of using a plain shampoo, I opt for the 2 in 1 from Pantene. I then use their revitalizing or fortifying conditioner treatments.
When I blow dry my hair I always use Optimun cream hairdress on wet hair. My hair never comes out frizzy with this and added bonus is the healthy shine it gives. Down side is that it gets a little greasy but it wears off within a few days.
I also dont wash my hair every day...even when I keep it curly.
For when I have my ringlets/curls, I try to use products that dont contain the stuff that makes it hard and crunchy, like gels or sprays, etc. I use Beyond Zone Noodle Head + Treseme Shaping Milk.
Ohhh, and ONE HUGE thing that helped my hair a LOT, especially with growth, was taking hair, nail and skin vitamins!!! My hair grew sooo much and it was a lot healthier. That was the first thing my hairdresser noticed!!!

dany06

I've been natural for the past 8 months and sometime real soon I will be going back to being relaxed. Many of the natural hair care products seem work really well with relaxed hair. I find that Elucence Moisture Benefit Shampoo and Moisture Balance Conditioner work really well on my hair as well as my mother's hair. It leaves her hair very soft and shiney. A really good site to find info is Long Hair Care Forums

Here are some of the brands that I find many relaxed heads to use
Aveda (my cousin swears by this and her hair is gorgeous)
Kera Care ( another brand that yield pretty heads)
Nexxus
Elucence ( I hear more naturals use this but alot of people who get Brazilian keratin treatments use this too)

Kuuipo

No matter what shampoo, conditioner, gel, mousse or spray I used my hair frizzed up. Serums weighed it down. I got a few samples of Phyto anti frizz-its weightless! It works! I can't believe it! My hair is soft (I color it every 2 weeks) I really had second thoughts about the gihugic price-32 dollars a tube in Hawaii, but it does work... so I use it everyday.(There is no substitute foe me)