Tipping Ettiquette at a hair salon?

nashoba95

i just got my hair done yesterday and paid $150 for shampoo, cut, and color. was about 2 hours long. paid the stylist $20 for a tip. wasn't sure if that was ok or not.

Shimmer

I hate the expectation that I tip.

And, use gloves. It's perfectly acceptable (and in my case, appreciated) if a shampoo person uses vinyl gloves while washing my hair.

KittieSparkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
I'm sorry, but I just don't think it's the customer's position to fix the problem of underpaid employees. That is the salon's responsibility.

While I do agree with what you say, tipping for personal services received is not going to change any time soon in N.America. So if someone is going to go to a salon, nail place, restaurant, etc. go prepared with some extra cash to tip. The standard is 15-20% tip of the total tab. When I go to get my hair done I go knowing that on top of what I spend on my hair I am going to give a total of 20% tip, 15% goes to my stylist and 5% goes to my shampoo tech. If the owner takes care of me, I give them nothing but I do give whoever assisted the owner a tip.

If you go regularly to the same place to get similar services you have pretty much an idea of how much you will spend so you can pretty much make an educated guess of what the tip will be.

Now, some have asked why doesn’t the salon employees share tip? This is why…

While the shampoo techs make a salary, the stylist makes commission only. There are not many salons that actually pay stylist salary. Now, if a stylist is on commission most likely the stylist will only be making about 40-45% commission of each head they do. Now lets say this stylist works at Hair Cuttery (it is an inexpensive chain of salons pretty popular in the East Coast) on average a hair cut/wash and blow dry is about $20-$25. For this example I will take the higher of the two and say it was $25. At 45% commission the stylist take home is $11.25 for that person. For a hair stylist 25 hours a week is full time, you can work more hours if your salon lets you and most do but 25 hours is full time for a stylist. So if the stylist does 25 heads at $11.25 a head that is a take home of $281.25 a week, that is not including the taxes that is taken out of their pay check, PLUS the money that the stylist has to spend to buy the products and tools that they need to do a persons hair. The stylists are just as dependent on those tips as the shampoo girls are. So it is pretty hard to share the tip equally among everyone when the tip is usually not that great coming from the costumer.
thmbdn.gif

Though I say all this the stylist has more control over what their potential take home is unlike the shampoo girl, because it is up to the stylist to market him/herself and bring those clients in so that she/he can make more money. So I do not feel as bad for them as I do for the shampoo tech. There are some stylists that are not good at marketing themselves or just cannot for whatever reason so they are stuck in the scenario I described above. The shampoo tech cannot really market herself. Her pay will not increase if she does that and most people do not tip them anyway, so what is the incentive? Make the stylist and the salon owner more money?
th_dunno.gif

So until some miracle happens where the personal service people will get treated a little more fairly try and tip them. Not sure how much to tip? Go prepared knowing you will spend an extra 20% on top of your bill as I described at the beginning. Then take the 20% and split that tip among the people that helped keep you looking glamorous depending on your satisfaction on the service that was provided to you by him or her.

KittieSparkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
And, use gloves. It's perfectly acceptable (and in my case, appreciated) if a shampoo person uses vinyl gloves while washing my hair.

Totally agree!!
thmbup.gif

COBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittieSparkles
Go prepared knowing you will spend an extra 20% on top of your bill as I described at the beginning. Then take the 20% and split that tip among the people that helped keep you looking glamorous depending on your satisfaction on the service that was provided to you by him or her.

Which brings me back to: why can't the salon just do it for me? I don't individually tip everyone at a restaurant. I leave a tip with my bill (generally 20% unless service was bad or more if it was exceptional) and the tip is split by whatever general house split formula they use. I am not saying that the shampoo assistant should get half of the tip, but why is wrong for me to expect the salon to determine what percent they should get? I don't know who gets paid what and who's on commission versus hourly versus numerous other pay structures.

I do know that at the salon I go to, there are several pay structures and tiers. For example, there are newer stylists that are hourly and when they hit a certain level during the week, they switch to commission. A customer shouldn't need to know this OR worry about how employees are paid. (I know this structure because I am friends with the owner and have provided some business consultation in other areas of the salon; the average customer in this salon doesn't know that one stylist is paid different than another and shouldn't need to worry about it.)

No harm meant to those in the industry; maybe I'm just not meant to understand it at this point.
th_dunno.gif

CantAffordMAC

Quote:
I hate the expectation that I tip.

The gloves we have at the salon (the standard clear gloves used for coloring) are not easy to wash with. when i first started shampooing, i'd wearthem (especially when washing out black hair dye, it stays in your fingernails) and its near impossible. You have water going inside of your glove, the other glove slipping off, you can't tell if what you are doing feels good you can't tell if all the color is out. It just isn't that easy. if it was I'd probably wear them a lot more often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBI
Which brings me back to: why can't the salon just do it for me? I don't individually tip everyone at a restaurant. I leave a tip with my bill (generally 20% unless service was bad or more if it was exceptional) and the tip is split by whatever general house split formula they use. I am not saying that the shampoo assistant should get half of the tip, but why is wrong for me to expect the salon to determine what percent they should get? I don't know who gets paid what and who's on commission versus hourly versus numerous other pay structures.

I do know that at the salon I go to, there are several pay structures and tiers. For example, there are newer stylists that are hourly and when they hit a certain level during the week, they switch to commission. A customer shouldn't need to know this OR worry about how employees are paid. (I know this structure because I am friends with the owner and have provided some business consultation in other areas of the salon; the average customer in this salon doesn't know that one stylist is paid different than another and shouldn't need to worry about it.)

No harm meant to those in the industry; maybe I'm just not meant to understand it at this point.
th_dunno.gif

True it is not your job, but nobody at the salon has time to divide up your tip money by a certain percent, then figure out who did what for the client and how much is "deserved". The receptionist at my job may be the one to do that if that were the case, but for the most part I only wash the hair (occasionally I will give a blow out, a gloss, or run the color through) Its just so complicated to try and decide who deserves what.

okay because the stylist cut the hair and colored it she deserves $15 of the $20 that the client left, but since I am a shampoo girl and I shampooed the hair, threw a quick gloss on and assisted witht he blow out or even gave the blow out, i deserve the $5?? See what i mean? The stylist may think she deserves the whole thing, or I may think I deserve more......ugh! Tip what the hell you want, it doesn't have to be so technical. The clients here are not shy to ask the stylists whats appropriate to give me.

I will just throw my opinion out there: If I just shampoo you quickly for a haircut (no color) $2 is just fine. If I shampoo you after you just got a touch-up $2 or $3 is fine. If I shampoo you repeatedly (you got a touch up, highlights and lowlights, and a gloss=3 shampoos) $5 is fine. If I shampooed you once or twice, and then threw your gloss on, $5 or more is good. If I shampooed you, threw your gloss on/ran your color through and also did your blowout, $10 would be nice. (This is based on what i usually get for doing these things)

And thats just my opinion, because not everything is just a simple wash. And a lot of my clients here have hairpieces so I am the one who takes off the piece, cleans their head of all the glue/tape/gunk, cleans the piece of all the glue and tape, then washes and conditions the piece, and usually I comb it and put it under a dryer for them to wear again. It may not sound like a lot, but it is. These pieces cost $1500+ and I am the one taking care of them for you. When I first started I was told I would be given $8.25 instead of $8.00 because the hairpieces are "a little extra work"
th_rolleye0014.gif
if you only knew.

And honestly, even if I wash you 3 times and you only give me $2 thats better than nothing. And I am not trying to offend anyone.

Tinkee-Belle

What I dont understand is why you arent supposed to tip if the owner does your hair. Dont they work just as hard doing your hair as a regular stylist? My hairdresser doesnt own the salon but if she did I would still give her the same tip which is usually$20 - $25

I work off tips (im a waitress in a club) and if someone doesnt tip me or gives me a crappy tip they shouldnt expect me to serve them again. If they ask for something else I will say "sorry... too busy" or give them to another server. It sounds harsh but it is a waste of my time when I could be serving someone who will tip me well. So those of you who say they dont tip..... servers will always remeber who you are and dont expect to get good service if you go to that bar or resturant again! Similarily if you DO tip very well.... expect to be treated like gold.

COBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantAffordMAC
True it is not your job, but nobody at the salon has time to divide up your tip money by a certain percent, then figure out who did what for the client and how much is "deserved". The receptionist at my job may be the one to do that if that were the case, but for the most part I only wash the hair (occasionally I will give a blow out, a gloss, or run the color through) Its just so complicated to try and decide who deserves what.

But: exactly! You work in the salon and admit it's complicated; how the heck is the customer supposed to figure it out?

And as far as time, surely at least one person in the salon has to total up and figure out the day's sales, services, tips, etc. every day. And I would go so far as to assume that my time is just as valuable as anyone working in your salon, but it would seem rude to use that as an excuse for not tipping someone, so I don't think it's a reasonable excuse for why it should be the customer's issue either.

My whole point is that the salon *should* want to make it easier for the customer. As apparent from other posters here, the average customer does not want to feel like they have to hand money out every time they turn around. And in the end, I am going to guess that the total tip provided by the customer is the same whether they provide it as one sum or break it into pieces.

To be perfectly honest, my overall tip would probably go down if I felt my stylist passed me off everytime I needed a rinse, wash, dry, etc. But maybe that's just me.

COBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkee-Belle
What I dont understand is why you arent supposed to tip if the owner does your hair. Dont they work just as hard doing your hair as a regular stylist? My hairdresser doesnt own the salon but if she did I would still give her the same tip which is usually$20 - $25

The thought was that the owner doesn't have to split their take with anyone. The rule of not tipping the owner is not hard and fast anymore.

I had a hard time because my stylist bought the salon from the former owner; so, I was like "now what do I do?" I still tip her because it would feel wierd to stop, but she charges me less now, so it evens out.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantAffordMAC
The gloves we have at the salon (the standard clear gloves used for coloring) are not easy to wash with. when i first started shampooing, i'd wearthem (especially when washing out black hair dye, it stays in your fingernails) and its near impossible. You have water going inside of your glove, the other glove slipping off, you can't tell if what you are doing feels good you can't tell if all the color is out. It just isn't that easy. if it was I'd probably wear them a lot more often.

I'm really sorry, but if they're there and you choose not to wear them, you kind of, IMO, forfeit the right to complain about touching grody heads and scalp pimples.

I worked in the OR and even to prep a patient, I would wear gloves. My hand plus a stranger's bare skin?
Nope.
No way.

CantAffordMAC

Quote:

It sounds harsh but it is a waste of my time when I could be serving someone who will tip me well. So those of you who say they dont tip..... servers will always remeber who you are and dont expect to get good service if you go to that bar or resturant again! Similarily if you DO tip very well.... expect to be treated like gold.

I would still tip the owner if she was my stylist. the people here just amaze me though. She is getting 100% commission for lets say $150 worth of services, and then the client tips her $30 or $40. Thats a hell of a lot for someone who is getting every cent of that. i dunno, thats just me. again, depending on what services u are getting, $20 or $30 may be appropriate.

I feel the same way sometimes---that I would much rather be washing someone who I know will tip me rather than this person who I know wont. i freaking hate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBI
And I would go so far as to assume that my time is just as valuable as anyone working in your salon, but it would seem rude to use that as an excuse for not tipping someone, so I don't think it's a reasonable excuse for why it should be the customer's issue either.

And in the end, I am going to guess that the total tip provided by the customer is the same whether they provide it as one sum or break it into pieces.

To be perfectly honest, my overall tip would probably go down if I felt my stylist passed me off everytime I needed a rinse, wash, dry, etc. But maybe that's just me.

-Yes your time is very valuable, as is the business's. If you don't have time for it, its as easy as giving the money to the receptionist and saying "can you please give this to the stylist who did my hair, the shampoo assistant and the esthetician?" I'm sure she will do it, but we are going to be sitting and deliberating over who did what and who should get what. Its silly. I'm sure it would be acceptable if like, a couple clients would rather have it done this way. But for it to constantly happen is just silly to me, I'm sorry.

Clients have left without tipping me because they were rushing or forgot. Soo I mean I think it sucks but what am i going to do? I'm not the kind of person that puts her hand out, but I do know dumb little tricks to try and get them to remember to tip me lol.

The tip u leave is the same but it is divided up differently. If you end up spending $25 and $20 goes to the stylist and $5 goes to me, yeah its the same to you, but not to us lol.

I wouldn't say the stylist passes them off to me. At times, yes the stylist just wants to get something to eat or get coffee (which sometimes they will ask me to wash someone when i just sat down to eat, but its my job) and thats that. But I have a certain stylist who is such a sweetheart and she will purposefully let me wash her clients so that I will get that money. The way she sees it is that she is already getting tipped, but she is not getting anything extra for washing their hair--I am. Theres a difference between having to wash a client and just wanting/being able to wash a client. does that make sense?

CantAffordMAC

Quote:
I'm really sorry, but if they're there and you choose not to wear them, you kind of, IMO, forfeit the right to complain about touching grody heads and scalp pimples..

LoL true. for some clients I should start to, because there are certain people that I know have something going on up there. But then i'd feel bad if they saw me not wearing the gloves with someone else lol.

Its not that big of a deal. It can be disgusting, but I get over it I guess. A person's head may not be gross, but then when you just happen to go over that spot and they have a big fat hard bump there, it kind of makes you shudder.
lol.gif

Simply Elegant

Well I've never had that problem. There are no shampoo girls at the place I go to, just the stylists. I always tip though, usually 25%.

shadowaddict

I do tip all that have worked on me but I also will say I do hate the whole tipping thing. It just seems that it used to be 10% then 15% and now like 18% - 20% and on up for great service. Yet in the mean time prices go up and up. So for like a cut, color retouch, and partial highlights that's about $260 and then you add in 20% or more and it just adds up.

KittieSparkles

Cobi.... I am sure that if you ask the person that you pay to split the tips between the people that took care of you they will do it.
yes.gif
Some people do it that way at the salon I go to.
Me, I tip them myself, because I like to, it takes half a second. The stylist finishes with my hair I go pay, if I need change I ask for it I walk up to her give her her tip and walk over to the sampoo tech and do the same.

At the end of the day a tip is supposed to be a thank you for doing a great job and here is a little something extra for making my time a good one. The problem is that now a days alot of people take it for granted. I remember when it was not required, you gave it if you wanted to. now a days there are some places that add it to your bill with out letting you make that decision for yourself what you want to leave and that is what I do not like.

KittieSparkles

Quote:

They can be tipped. I know they work just as hard. I used to be a stylist in a salon. It is just my preference not to because they make the bulk of the money in the salon. They make 100% of the profit for every head they do, they also make about 60% from each of the clients the stylists do. IMO, their need is not as great as his/her employees.

lil_kismet

Thanks for all the great responses/discussion ladies
smiles.gif

Now, how about when you go in for a "complimentary" bang trim? Do you feel it necessary to tip? If so, how much?

CantAffordMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_kismet
Thanks for all the great responses/discussion ladies
smiles.gif

Now, how about when you go in for a "complimentary" bang trim? Do you feel it necessary to tip? If so, how much?

Before I ever worked ina salon, I went to some salon to get bangs actually cut into my hair. She only charged me $5 lol, I thought it'd be like $15. I gave her a $5 tip. LoL its ridiculous but I had planned on spending way more than what i ddi anyways. It wasn't that big of a deal.

I guess it depends....If it were me I guess I'd give a couple bucks. Thats like, not hard AT ALL. they literally just snip snip snip and ur off.

Chikky

Quote:
While I do agree with what you say, tipping for personal services received is not going to change any time soon in N.America. So if someone is going to go to a salon, nail place, restaurant, etc. go prepared with some extra cash to tip.

Though, it depends on the salon!

The salon I work in (yes, in the US) is totally NON-TIPPING. No one gets a tip. If you offer, 99% of the people would not take it. So it's not that salon owners refuse to pay their workers what they're due, it's just that many just won't! Our guys and gals make good money; and no tipping allowed! We just ask that you return. That's all the tip they want.

And I'll tell ya, the people love it.

pumpkincat210

Personally I love to tip big if the stylist does a great job. I don't mind giving a 100% tip if the cut is under $50. I usually tip the shampoo person around $5-6.
The good thing about tipping big is you are usually remembered and the next cut will be as good as the last.