Tipping Ettiquette at a hair salon?

COBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikky
Though, it depends on the salon!

The salon I work in (yes, in the US) is totally NON-TIPPING. No one gets a tip. If you offer, 99% of the people would not take it. So it's not that salon owners refuse to pay their workers what they're due, it's just that many just won't! Our guys and gals make good money; and no tipping allowed! We just ask that you return. That's all the tip they want.

And I'll tell ya, the people love it.

In the past, I've stayed at the Seaport Hotel in Boston, and it is "service inclusive". What's that mean? You do NOT tip anyone; not the valet, not the bell boy, not the maid, no tips in their restaurant/bar: NO tips anywhere in the hotel.

Now, there is about a $3 service fee added per day of your stay, but it's SO much easier than trying to figure out how much to tip each service provider, and the service was TOP-NOTCH for the entire stay.

My understanding is that an employee accepting a tip is grounds for dismissal and they have "secret shoppers", so to speak.

I have no idea how they pay their staff, but imagine it is well (for the industry) because the service was excellent.

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkee-Belle

I work off tips (im a waitress in a club) and if someone doesnt tip me or gives me a crappy tip they shouldnt expect me to serve them again. If they ask for something else I will say "sorry... too busy" or give them to another server. It sounds harsh but it is a waste of my time when I could be serving someone who will tip me well. So those of you who say they dont tip..... servers will always remeber who you are and dont expect to get good service if you go to that bar or resturant again! Similarily if you DO tip very well.... expect to be treated like gold.

See this is exactly the problem tipping creates. You are in the service industry, that entails serving other people, regardless of the potential tip a customer might or might not give you, ideally speaking of course. Tipping can actually create bad service, because I'm sorry to say this, but people like yourself who are hired to be a server are only thinking of the potential tip they can make, and care less about the actual duties the job entails. It doesn't look good for the establishment if the person they hire to serve their guests, tells them, "Oh I'm too busy", simply because you're expecting a better tip. I can sort of understand where you are coming from, sure, but it's still bad service. I worked as a waitress too, the duties include giving good service at all times, regardless of the tip you might or might get. I treated everyone equally. Maybe this isn't the right industry for you, then,

If everyone was paid fairly and less reliant on tips, you'd have more constant good service.

lovelyweapon

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBI
In the past, I've stayed at the Seaport Hotel in Boston, and it is "service inclusive". What's that mean? You do NOT tip anyone; not the valet, not the bell boy, not the maid, no tips in their restaurant/bar: NO tips anywhere in the hotel.

Now, there is about a $3 service fee added per day of your stay, but it's SO much easier than trying to figure out how much to tip each service provider, and the service was TOP-NOTCH for the entire stay.

My understanding is that an employee accepting a tip is grounds for dismissal and they have "secret shoppers", so to speak.

I have no idea how they pay their staff, but imagine it is well (for the industry) because the service was excellent.

I definitely think more services should be set up this way because it is more convenient for the customer (which should be the main idea). I can use the cruise ship I went on a few months ago as a similar example. There was a service fee added, but you didn't have to constantly be worrying about who to tip or how much.

However, when gratuity is not included, I tip according to service quality. If the server does a good job I tip the server, not the busboy. It is up to the restaurant to decide how they distribute the tip -- many restaurants split all tips equally, many don't. IMO though a tip should never be expected and that's the problem with so many services in the US.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat210
Personally I love to tip big if the stylist does a great job. I don't mind giving a 100% tip if the cut is under $50. I usually tip the shampoo person around $5-6.
The good thing about tipping big is you are usually remembered and the next cut will be as good as the last.

The next cut better be as good as the last anyway, because that's her freaking job.

ritchieramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
I worked as a waitress too, the duties include giving good service at all times, regardless of the tip you might or might get. I treated everyone equally. Maybe this isn't the right industry for you, then,

Yes, good service should be the norm, not something reserved for those who tip generously. It's a major part of the job in service industries and isn't an optional extra.

I don't like the idea that anyone has some kind of right to receive a tip. I realise there are cultural differences between the US and the UK when it come to gratuities, but I don't feel that anyone deserves to be rewarded just for doing what they should reasonably be expected to do in the course of their everyday work anyway. I also know that jobs don't grow on trees and that ideally, it just wouldn't happen, but something like a shampoo assistant finding that a client has horribly dirty hair isn't amazingly unpredictable and, unfortunately, goes with the territory to an extent. (This is just an example; it's not aimed at anyone in particular.)

CantAffordMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritchieramone
but something like a shampoo assistant finding that a client has horribly dirty hair isn't amazingly unpredictable and, unfortunately, goes with the territory to an extent. (This is just an example; it's not aimed at anyone in particular.)

Of course its not unbelievable to think that someone may have dirty hair or stink. but I thought that most people cleaned themselves. And that most people had good hygiene. Thankfully, its not like I run into someone everyday who has filthy hair. Its sad to think that there are so many people who have that attitude that I should have to deal with all of that with a smile on my face because "its my job" I'm seeing a lot of that in this topic "Oh its your job so you better deal with it" Its kind of like what goes on in the cosmetics industry forum. People there get mad that customers come into MAC at 9:45 PM and ask for a full makeover without buying anything. But the MA's have to deal with it because "its their job and thats what they signed up for"

People get treated like shit in the beauty industry. We are talked down to and disrespected....its as if we owe the clients something.

As for the whole "I'm not going to service you becauseyou left a bad tip" I wouldn't necessarily not help that client, but don't expect the same treatment as I give other clients. The clients who thank me, tip me, and appreciate what I do, surprisingly are the ones who I get along with the most. I am still friendly and talkative and kind to those who don't tip me. But the clients who have hair down to their waist that I wash 3 times in one appointment, comb through their hair for 20 minutes, and I'm friendly on topof that, and I don't even get $1 is pathetic. I dn't even get a thank you. Don't expect me to do anything more than wash and condition your hair next time. I was even told not to give it my all by the stylists.

Anyone can say "Your job should pay you well enough so that you don't need tips" The world is not that perfect great place where all jobs pay wonderfully. I wish my jobs paid me well enough so that I didn't have to depend on tips. But thats not going to happen. I think its silly to say "I'm not going to tip you because I think your boss should pay you enough so that you don't need it" Thats just...wrong. And even cheap.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantAffordMAC

People get treated like shit in the beauty industry. We are talked down to and disrespected....its as if we owe the clients something.

People get treated like shit everywhere. That's not a phenomenon completely left to the beauty industry, but one pretty much across the boards on the service industry.
Quote:
As for the whole "I'm not going to service you becauseyou left a bad tip" I wouldn't necessarily not help that client, but don't expect the same treatment as I give other clients. The clients who thank me, tip me, and appreciate what I do, surprisingly are the ones who I get along with the most.

All I ask is that you do your job to the standard that you're expected to do it by your employer. If you do that, I'll be happy. If you got above that, I'll express my appreciation.

Quote:

I am still friendly and talkative and kind to those who don't tip me. But the clients who have hair down to their waist that I wash 3 times in one appointment, comb through their hair for 20 minutes, and I'm friendly on topof that, and I don't even get $1 is pathetic. I dn't even get a thank you. Don't expect me to do anything more than wash and condition your hair next time. I was even told not to give it my all by the stylists.

Would a 'thank you' have mitigated your irritation, regardless of tip?
Quote:
Anyone can say "Your job should pay you well enough so that you don't need tips" The world is not that perfect great place where all jobs pay wonderfully. I wish my jobs paid me well enough so that I didn't have to depend on tips. But thats not going to happen. I think its silly to say "I'm not going to tip you because I think your boss should pay you enough so that you don't need it" Thats just...wrong. And even cheap.

I'm okay with being cheap. A tip is a sign of gratitude for a job well done, not a compulsion based on societal expectations.

CantAffordMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
People get treated like shit everywhere. That's not a phenomenon completely left to the beauty industry, but one pretty much across the boards on the service industry.

True

Quote:
All I ask is that you do your job to the standard that you're expected to do it by your employer. If you do that, I'll be happy. If you got above that, I'll express my appreciation.

I do think i go above that. I listen to them, I am gentle if needed or rough when needed. I care about their lives and I want to hear about whats going on. I offer coffee, make coffee just for one particular client who always wants it fresh, I just feel that I'm considerate. I love the clients at my job and I want them to be comfortable, satisfied and happy. Many people do not get that from a shampoo assistant...especially since most SA's are in their teens and people seem to not expect a lot from us.

Quote:
Would a 'thank you' have mitigated your irritation, regardless of tip?

Yes. If the least they can do is say thank you and be friendly to me, that is enough. A lot of clients don't know that tips are given to the shampoo assistant. There are a few clients that I cannot stand, not only because I don't get a tip, but because they don't talk at all to me, and don't even say thank you. Even though I've tried repeatedly to be nice and talk, they just are not that kind of person. I've learned to expect no tips from certain clients, and we still have conversations and if the least they can do is say thanks, that is good enough for me. A tip is always better because I need that money. But you can't force it

Quote:
I'm okay with being cheap. A tip is a sign of gratitude for a job well done, not a compulsion based on societal expectations.

Thats true. I just think that at my particular salon, being the person I am and doing what I do for the clients, I do think that I deserve a tip. And most of the clients do agree with me

ms.marymac

Can'taffordMac, I have been in your shoes! If i had a client that asked me to use my nails, whether their scalp felt like reading braille or not, I would tell them that using nails on the scalp is very bad, and I wouldn't want to damage or break their hair. Saved me from having to do that. *shudder*

Sushi.

For the hair dressers on here who think people are being rude with their tipping, some of us honestly do not know how much to tip, and some of you say you need the tips cause you dont get paid enough, but some people cannot afford to pay the tips possibly, cause they also dont get paid enough, and maybe they work a job where they dont get tips.

personally i would never try to be rude or offensive with a tip, but im just not educated with how much you are supposed to tip to hair dressers. I usually just tip $10. I have no clue if that is to low, but i hope its not.

and for the above quotes i see people saying they get treated like shit in the beauty industry, try being a janitor lol. but yes everyone gets treated badly. But i know as a janitor its really really hard, especially because there is absolutely no time where someone shows appreciation, they only time you get feedback is when they think your doing a bad job.

ritchieramone

Quote:
I'm seeing a lot of that in this topic "Oh its your job so you better deal with it"

Of course no-one should have to deal with people who are dirty/rude/abusive/unappreciative etc. in their job but the reality is that most people do, regardless of where they work. It's also true that most people have to learn to deal with unpleasant behaviour in a professional and non-disruptive manner whether they like it or not.

COBI

Quote:
As for the whole "I'm not going to service you becauseyou left a bad tip" I wouldn't necessarily not help that client, but don't expect the same treatment as I give other clients. The clients who thank me, tip me, and appreciate what I do, surprisingly are the ones who I get along with the most.

OK, to put it in another perspective: my full-time job is as Controller at a large community bank.

Do you think it would be right for us to treat customers different based on how much money they have in the bank? Or would you say a better practice would be to provide the highest (and equal) customer service to ALL customers?

We actually just had a speaker from Disney in and he made a good point about execellent service: exceeded expectations WILL result in rewards. Perhaps, it won't result in the tip you were hoping for, but a HAPPY customer WILL return, will likely purchase more and will likely RECOMMEND your salon to others. Sometimes, we have to acknowledge that the tip is not the only way to measure appreciation by the customer. I understand that doesn't pay your bills, but their returning has a direct impact on your continuing to work.

Your service does impact the salon (and therefore, your own job) whether someone leaves a tip or not, and that is one reason why service provided should be the same for all customers and not just the ones who thank you directly with money. And honestly, even though you may not make a lot of money, you do make more than minimum wage which is more than a lot of people in my area make (and our minimum wage is only the federal minimum of $5.85; there is no increased state minimum here.)

BTW, cantaffordmac, I give you a lot of credit for defending your point of view on this.
smiles.gif

CantAffordMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.marymac
Can'taffordMac, I have been in your shoes! If i had a client that asked me to use my nails, whether their scalp felt like reading braille or not, I would tell them that using nails on the scalp is very bad, and I wouldn't want to damage or break their hair. Saved me from having to do that. *shudder*

well it is very bad. and imagine these people want it before a color service. LoL they will be burnin but it wont be my fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi.
For the hair dressers on here who think people are being rude with their tipping, some of us honestly do not know how much to tip, and some of you say you need the tips cause you dont get paid enough, but some people cannot afford to pay the tips possibly, cause they also dont get paid enough, and maybe they work a job where they dont get tips.

personally i would never try to be rude or offensive with a tip, but im just not educated with how much you are supposed to tip to hair dressers. I usually just tip $10. I have no clue if that is to low, but i hope its not.

and for the above quotes i see people saying they get treated like shit in the beauty industry, try being a janitor lol. but yes everyone gets treated badly. But i know as a janitor its really really hard, especially because there is absolutely no time where someone shows appreciation, they only time you get feedback is when they think your doing a bad job.

I'm not saying that "Oh everyone should tip, your'e cheap if you dont, we dont get paid enough" If you dont know how much to tip, or dont have a lot of money to spend than its understandable. Its always nice to get good tips, but in any job you cant expect everyone to do the same, perfect thing. One of the stylists cuts this little asian lady's hair and this lady is ADORABLE, and she is great, and I think she gives the stylist maybe$2 or $3. i'm sure that stylist has accepted that she has to take the good with the bad. I'm more so talking of the people who just would not rather deal wth tipping because its too much work. LoL are u kidding me. I just find that to be silly....i don't know obviously not everyone feels like I do. I have just never heard of anyone saying that they dont like tipping because they dont know how much to give each person. I guess thats why the stylists were always telling me to let them know if their clients werent tipping me. I dont know I think I'v said enough on the topic by now lol

and BTW, it must suck to have to deal with that as a janitor. I hate dirty bathrooms. If tere was a sparklingclean bathroom I'd be more than happy to leavea nice comment about it
winks.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritchieramone
Of course no-one should have to deal with people who are dirty/rude/abusive/unappreciative etc. in their job but the reality is that most people do, regardless of where they work. It's also true that most people have to learn to deal with unpleasant behaviour in a professional and non-disruptive manner whether they like it or not.

True.
th_dunno.gif

Johnny Wal

i was thinking about this while at the dentist, i know its off topic to the hair salon, but people talk about someone doing a service for you and whatnot, well a dentist (or doctor alike) does a service for you, and obviously makes a ton of money, but would anyone feel comfortable or morally obligated to tip a dentist? i always try to make sure to tip my hair dresser personally, though. and at the salon i go to, she washes my hair and is with me the entire time.

CantAffordMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBI
OK, to put it in another perspective: my full-time job is as Controller at a large community bank.

Do you think it would be right for us to treat customers different based on how much money they have in the bank? Or would you say a better practice would be to provide the highest (and equal) customer service to ALL customers?

We actually just had a speaker from Disney in and he made a good point about execellent service: exceeded expectations WILL result in rewards. Perhaps, it won't result in the tip you were hoping for, but a HAPPY customer WILL return, will likely purchase more and will likely RECOMMEND your salon to others. Sometimes, we have to acknowledge that the tip is not the only way to measure appreciation by the customer. I understand that doesn't pay your bills, but their returning has a direct impact on your continuing to work.

Your service does impact the salon (and therefore, your own job) whether someone leaves a tip or not, and that is one reason why service provided should be the same for all customers and not just the ones who thank you directly with money. And honestly, even though you may not make a lot of money, you do make more than minimum wage which is more than a lot of people in my area make (and our minimum wage is only the federal minimum of $5.85; there is no increased state minimum here.)

BTW, cantaffordmac, I give you a lot of credit for defending your point of view on this.
smiles.gif

LoL thanks girly
winks.gif

You are right, all customers should be treated equally. I am being honest though. For a year now, I have dealt with the same clients that are just rude. I guess you'd have to know them...but these are clients who just don't respond when I talk, don't even mumble a "thanks". Its just the whole attitude that you get from these people for no reason. And still having to wash them 3 or 4 times and not even get a thank you for it. Like I said before, money isn't even always necessary. Just a thank you! For my work! (And BTW, this particular client that I'm thinking of spends over $100 for her hair and $150 for hair products, then buys jewelry from us too) and she can't tip me $1 or $2? I'm sorry but that is going to make me look at you badly.
thmbdn.gif
I hate when these certain clients come, because I know I'm going to be working on them for no tip. But I still greet them with a smile, try to talk with them and give them a good shampoo. They wouldn't even think I was treating them different (I doubt they would even care)

Whats sad is that I think if enough people complained about me, I'd be fired. They wouldn't, because I'm awesome. But what I'm trying to say is that they may come back to the salon because everything is great, but whether I was there or another SA, I don't think they'd stop coming. I think there is a loyalty more to the stylists/owner than to anyone else. Basically I'm saying that I don't think people gush and rave about me giving a great shampoo lol. Thats just one of the little things they may enjoy when they come.

And yes I am grateful for making $8.25. The minimum wage here is $7.15. But the reality is is that I haven't gotten a raise in the year I've been there. And I am 19 years old and I'd really like to move out of my mom's house sometime soon, but it isn't possible. And I work 2 jobs. With only one bill.
th_dunno.gif

FantaZ

I asked the receptionist once how much to tip my stylist and she told me 15% to 20%. My haircut & highlights come out to be about $150 and I tip my stylist $40 because she's the only one I go to. Is that a lot or too little? 15% is $34 and she doesn't have a shampoo person so it all goes to her.

MxAxC-_ATTACK

ok I haven't read the whole post. but being a hair stylist, I take my tips and split them with anyone else who helped me during the cut. color. wash. blow out... I have not experienced someone tipping separately .

There is no percentage.. tip whatever you feel like tipping.. It depends on what you get done as well.

CantAffordMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxAxC-_ATTACK
ok I haven't read the whole post. but being a hair stylist, I take my tips and split them with anyone else who helped me during the cut. color. wash. blow out... I have not experienced someone tipping separately .

There is no percentage.. tip whatever you feel like tipping.. It depends on what you get done as well.

See its different at every salon. because the stylists at my salon assume I am getting tipped by every client. Now they are starting to realize that I definetly am not.

I worked at another salon for one day and their set-up was completely different. They had fishbowls for the SA's and clients just went to your bowl and drop the tip in. Or they had little envelopes for the clients to put a tip in and at the end of the day you went into the safe and checked to see if there were any tips for you (that was if the client didn't feel like walking all the way to the back of the salon)

KittieSparkles

I made the comment earlier on about the dirty hair. I did not elaborate more on it because I thought it was self explanatory what I wrote in prentices. I know and I am sure the shampoo techs know that washing dirty hair is part of their job. BUT, it is down right rude and borderline abusive when you have a client that comes and sits in your chair and she has MOLD growing on her scalp. Yes, ladies MOLD.
throwup.gif
When I asked her what did she do to her hair that she had mold growing? she said that she would just spritz her hair with water and put gel on so it can stay slicked back and put it in a pony tail. I then proceeded to ask her “did you ever wash your hair?” her response “Why? That is why I come to the salon twice a month to get my hair washed.” After she said that, I explained to her that I nor my shampoo tech can’t and will not work on her hair and that she needed to see a doctor.
thmbdn.gif
She caught an attitude and said “Washing her hair is my job, etc, etc” I am sorry to say but your personal hygiene or lack there of is not part of my job description.
nonono.gif
If you have a science project growing out of your head I will refuse to serve you and send you to see a doctor.
girl_devil.gif

Over the years that I have been in this line of work I have seen different degrees of the type of client I described above. I have dealt with the most rudest and inconsiderate clients in the 4 years I have been in the beauty industry then the 10 years I worked in the corporate world. Everyone deals with shit no matter where you work. But the reality of the fact some lines of work deal with it more then others.

I wish tipping would just go away and everyone be paid fairly but that is not going to happen any time soon. So I will continue to tip and still think that others should if they can and liked the service they received. But if you can't or do not want to, That is cool too.

All that I have said previous and even now is not a complaint. I love what I do but like any other job we have things that we do not like. I was just trying to give you all a view of our lives as stylists.
th_DANCE.gif

Sushi.

CantAffordMAC i wish that you were'nt the only person that would comment on a sparkly bathroom
greengrin.gif

cause believe you me, i have had to deal with some BAD bathrooms
throwup.gif