Undertones

spectrolite

I thought I knew what my undertones were but lately I'm totally confused. At times I see lots of golden, yellow tones (I can clearly see my veins are green through my skin) but then other times I see more beige and orange/bronze. There is definitely no pink. I always thought I was NW but now I'm thinking maybe I'm NC...? I tend to wear cool colours like blues, purple, teal, black and metallic shades but can also rock warm colours too, especially red. I wear silver jewelry but gold also looks good. Yeah... I'm confused! I think I need expert advice :/

blazeno.8

For me, I change during different parts of the year. I get tan in the summer so I become warmer. I also have different depths of pigmentation on my face so that complicates things further. I have done so much trial and error and hung onto my different foundations. Now I use one color for concealer and two for foundation.

Curly1908

I think I need a lighter foundation for the center of my face. Hmm...

I usually just apply my regular foundation really sheer in the center so make up for the difference, but perhaps I need a different color altogether. Are most MAC artistis familiar with this concept? Because I've never been matched to more than 1 color (NW50)...but they do my jawline...

blazeno.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly1908
I think I need a lighter foundation for the center of my face. Hmm...

I usually just apply my regular foundation really sheer in the center so make up for the difference, but perhaps I need a different color altogether. Are most MAC artistis familiar with this concept? Because I've never been matched to more than 1 color (NW50)...but they do my jawline...

If you find one of my tutorials in the tutorial section, I sometimes list the way I do multiple foundations.

elektra513

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominichulinda
glominerals-mineral-foundation.jpg

This a foundation chart..but its so weird..because we can be cool in certain area and warm in others.

Like me I'm warm(yellow) where I normally highlight and cool(olive) where I contour.

This chart is kind of deceiving, cool is beige, not olive. Olive is warm, and not even mentioned. Beige has pink in it (which is why I haven't tried NC45). I'm still trying to find the HG makeup, 12 yrs and counting, but finally figuring out the undertone has been 90% if the battle, really.

elektra513

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetie
^ hmm I'm starting to think i need two different colors some days too. I've been wondering what is the difference between C7 and NC45? Is C7 more golden? I used to loooove C7. Then when they started the NC/NW system, I was moved to NC45. I recently bought a C7 from the CCO and I'm gonna play around with it soon. This is Studio Fix powder btw.

Yeah, NC45 is yellow-beige, and C7 is yellow-olive, so they're both golden, just different. I really wish they had Cs in liquids again, in the darker shades. I can't always do Studio Fix powder all the time.
ssad.gif

I remember a long time ago, I was matched to NC45 on the left(pink starburst) and NW43 on the right (oompa loompa). MAC and I have never been BFFs in terms of foundation
thmbdn.gif
I love the finishes, hate the shades.

dominichulinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektra513
This chart is kind of deceiving, cool is beige, not olive. Olive is warm, and not even mentioned. Beige has pink in it (which is why I haven't tried NC45). I'm still trying to find the HG makeup, 12 yrs and counting, but finally figuring out the undertone has been 90% if the battle, really.

I only put cool (olive)..because compared to my yellow/olive skin ..its a big different..I'm two-toned so it's obvious...and I know I'm not beige (drug store brand foundation loves beige in everything)..because it is pink on me.
smiles.gif
..I don'tknow..I've been using the satinfinish in NC42 pretty yellow ...and it works <3

elektra513

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominichulinda
I only put cool (olive)..because compared to my yellow/olive skin ..its a big different..I'm two-toned so it's obvious...and I know I'm not beige (drug store brand foundation loves beige in everything)..because it is pink on me.
smiles.gif
..I don't I've been using the satinfinish in NC42 pretty yellow ...and it works <3

Just curious, have you ever tried mac's C shades? or other foundations? That's the makeup I'm looking for: yellow-olive foundation.

dominichulinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektra513
Just curious, have you ever tried mac's C shades? or other foundations? That's the makeup I'm looking for: yellow-olive foundation.

no I haven't...I might try it out
winks.gif
<33

Lcaruso17

I am Puerto Rican and Italian, and my skin tone is odd.. In the winter it appears that I have cool, beigy undertones, like Lily Evangeline, but in the summer I am more olive and look more like Jessica Alba on a tan day. I always have to change up my foundation and makeup. I can never find anything to match either tone and always have to mix colors.

User38

50% Latina - 50% British/Irish/German.. lolol. Wacky mix of temperament but my skin undertones came out a pale yellow.. like an alabaster. I ususally have to mix all my foundations and powders for myself... so I wind up buying 1 of each shade, and also some mixing products
smiles.gif

doomkitteh

I'm a bunch of Asian - Malay/Chinese/Indonesian/South Indian. I'm not sure what my undertones are - I think they're supposed to be yellow, but I think definitely have orange or red is definitely there somewhere, and I look really nice in pastels, and not so nice in bright colours like fuchsia.
I'm using BB's foundation stick in honey at the mo, and studiofinish concealer in NW35.

MissLola_1

NC 50 in winter - NC 55 in summer.
Yellow undertone.
I'm trying a new "foundation"...I mix jojoba or avocado oil + vegetal pigment (brown/yellow) --> it looks great and very very natural.
I know, I hv strange ideas but that's moreless what we traditionally do in Africa and do not forget that it's the place when makeup was first used.