update images discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegirlgotsoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightlouise
Wow! Thanks for the swatches!

I guess I shouldn't have assumed that the everyone knew that the image belongs to SonRisa, but yeah, they are her swatches, not mine. I just saved the image from another thread, which it doesn't seem to be working in, and I reposted it here.

th_wink3.gif

midnightlouise

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlgotsoul
Quote:
Wow! Thanks for the swatches!

I guess I shouldn't have assumed that the everyone knew that the image belongs to SonRisa, but yeah, they are her swatches, not mine. I just saved the image from another thread, which it doesn't seem to be working in, and I reposted it here.

th_wink3.gif

Well thanks for re-posting them! I never would have found 'em otherwise lol!
smiles.gif

thegirlgotsoul

Quote:
smiles.gif

You're very welcome.

I noticed that the image was no longer working and/or even there anymore in the other thread, so I figured it would be OK to repost it here.

Alexa

Quote:
* I removed the photo until I find out from SonRisa if it is OK to repost it*

Thanks to lola336 for the heads up.

she said its ok for people to post it around
smiles.gif

afkate

Oooh, please put it back up if it's ok with SonRisa - I keep logging on right after the pics get taken down! I'd really appreciate it, as I'll likely be ordering sight-unseen too...

ishtarchick

Quote:
Quote:
smiles.gif

You're very welcome.

I noticed that the image was no longer working and/or even there anymore in the other thread, so I figured it would be OK to repost it here.

i took it down from the other post because of all the drama, so if i were you i'd really ask her before putting up the pic of her swatchbook again.

Colorqueen

Okay, now I am really frustrated!

I never got back in time to see the photos as we had lightning storms so I could not go online.

Anyone else out there have any photos?

Sigh. How frustrating............(sniff)

Liz

her original post on LJ said that it was ok to post her pic in other places, but just to upload them to your own photobucket instead of linking hers.

thegirlgotsoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz
her original post on LJ said that it was ok to post her pic in other places, but just to upload them to your own photobucket instead of linking hers.

I had it uploaded to my own server, but then I got a bunch of PM's telling me that I should probably take it down because SonRisa was pissed about people using it.

Honestly, no offense to SonRisa or anyone else, but this all seems a but silly. If your going to take photos for people to see, and post them on the internet, I don't understand the point of being pissed off if people use them in other places as long as they don't hotlink and they credit the original poster.

:|

afkate

Quote:
Honestly, no offense to SonRisa or anyone else, but this all seems a but silly. If your going to take photos for people to see, and post them on the internet, I don't understand the point of being pissed off if people use them in other places as long as they don't hotlink and they credit the original poster.

:|

I agree...I don't understand why you'd post a picture and get mad when others share it, but whatever. Thanks so much for reposting the pic, I'm really excited about this collection!

Turbokittykat

I suspect the reason the Risa asked people not to post the photo of her swatch book all round the Internet was because of the possibility she could get into trouble for it.

Think of it this way, the photo is clearly of a MAC swatch book, which only MAC employees have, and it shows MAC products before their release. Now, MAC tends to do their best to keep details of new collections a secret until their launch, and I think in general a dim view could be taken of any MAC employee attending update and then plastering this secret information all over the Internet. As it happens, I believe Risa asked permission to post these photos, and it was granted, but given that this is something she could otherwise have lost her job over, I can see why she might want to keep control over the photographs.

Risa does us all a big favour by sharing this information with us, because she knows how much we love MAC. The VERY LEAST we can do is respect her wishes as regards her photos and try to avoid her getting into trouble as a result of helping us.

Frankly I wouldn't be at all surprised, given the outrageously selfish behaviour of a few individuals who took photos they were asked not to take and posted them in places they were asked not to post them, if Risa never shares photos or information about upcoming MAC collections ever again.

I hope this helps explain one of the possible reasons that Risa may not have wanted her photos posted outside of her control.

It's all very well to say "if you don't want the information shared then don't post it", but where would we addicts be without the kind few people who do get this information to us?

thegirlgotsoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokittykat
I suspect the reason the Risa asked people not to post the photo of her swatch book all round the Internet was because of the possibility she could get into trouble for it...

...but given that this is something she could otherwise have lost her job over, I can see why she might want to keep control over the photographs.

I agree with you almost completely, but if you are *that* afraid you will get in trouble with your job, then maybe you shouldn't risk it at all. Not that I, and everyone else doesn't appreciate her photos, but I personally wouldn't risk my job over it. Eventually the information will come out in a way that won't get anyone into "trouble" over it, and if that means we have to wait to hear and see about new stuff, then that may be how it has to be.

And as far as wanting some semblence of "control" over stuff you post on the internet, it's never going to happen unless you have the money to pay for copyrights & lawyers. It's just a fact of life. Once you post it in one place online, it's not really in your "control" anymore. Such is the nature of the internet.

I for one, just think all this drama over some photos is quite silly. It seems like everytime something gets posted in the very public forum, such as Livejournal, it's constant drama and bickering over the reposting of the photos in other places. Just seems ludicrious to me.
oh.gif
ops:

Turbokittykat

Quote:
I for one, just think all this drama over some photos is quite silly.

*shrug* It's easy to think that when it's not you that could get into trouble. Having trusted us once, I suspect Risa will not trust us again. I think that's sad and it makes me quite angry that I may now not get to see early information on new releases because some people were unable to behave in a reasonable manner.

Look at the forum for a second. See all the "does anyone have any information on...?" posts? Like the one about the new Veluxe Pearls that are due out? Well, maybe we all would if the people with that information had not been scared off from sharing it by the behaviour of certain others.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is your fault. I just think it's sad that people can't respect the requests of someone who is ultimately helping us out.

Star

thegirlgotsoul, you are completely right.

People get fired for blogging about company stuff, I'm quite sure everyone knows that by now unless you live under a rock, so why the hell would someone post a photo in a PUBLIC FORUM of something from work that they know could lead to dismissal?? Esp. if one happens to like/love said job??

I think if anyone learned a lesson here, it was not us.

Turbokittykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star
I think if anyone learned a lesson here, it was not us.

Sadly, I agree with you 100%.

thegirlgotsoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokittykat
Quote:
I for one, just think all this drama over some photos is quite silly.

*shrug* It's easy to think that when it's not you that could get into trouble.

But that was exactly my point. No matter how much I like helping people out when I can, as an adult who enjoys her job tremendously, I would not do something that would or could put my job in jeopardy just so people on the internet could know about stuff early.

And I'm not speaking for or toward SonRisa as she is not in this particular discussion, but comeon. If you really are that afraid of losing your job over something such as this, then its quite simple. Just stop posting photos you know your not supposed to post. If you continue to do so, online no less, where you know the photos are going to be posted all over the place whether you like it or not, then you kind of deserve to deal with the consequnces of what happens to you, job wise.

No matter what you think of the people who repost her photos, be it you think they are selfish or immature or whatever, it is what happens online. People steal stuff online and claim it as their own, all the time. People hotlink stuff. It happens. Nature of the beast. It's not like it is going to stop. But no matter how nicely you ask that people kindly not repost images you took with the sole intention to post yourself in a public internet forum, it will happen.

Bottom line is, you take photos with the intention to show it off in a public place, then its going to be put in other public places. You have ZERO control of what happens to them. And by posting them, you are in a way, acknowledging that and accepting that it is going to happen.

But either way, I for one would be very bummed out of SonRisa, and others, stopped posting their wonderful photos, but in the end, they need to do what is best for them and if that means not risking their jobs anymore, then so be it. You speak of others being "afraid" to post what they know, but maybe they are not afraid, but instead, just respecting what they know they are not supposed to be doing, which is leaking information from their employer.

Turbokittykat

Quote:
No matter what you think of the people who repost her photos, be it you think they are selfish or immature or whatever, it is what happens online. People steal stuff online and claim it as their own, all the time. People hotlink stuff. It happens. Nature of the beast. It's not like it is going to stop. But no matter how nicely you ask that people kindly not repost images you took with the sole intention to post yourself in a public internet forum, it will happen.

You seem to think that this makes it all right though. That the excuse "it just happens" and "it's only the Internet" make up for it. I don't agree, I'm afraid. I don't think it's all right.

I'm sure Risa has realised exactly what she needs to do to safeguard her photos. I'm just sorry her trust was abused and she was upset because from what I've seen, she's a very kind and generous person. And having learned what she needs to do, I regret that I may not see any more swatches from her. I feel sad for myself and the other people who did not abuse her trust that may now not see these photos, all as a result of the actions of the few, who could have enjoyed the photos anyway, without taking them. And it irks me a bit that these few seem to think it's ok to hide behind the "it's only the internet" and "that's the nature of the beast". It wouldn't be the nature of the beast but for the few people who make it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.