Very frequent yeast infections?

cupcake_x

Hey there!

This might be a little and gross and kind of a TMI... I wanted to warn you before you read on!

I've been getting frequent yeast infections for over a year now. Two years ago it was about twice that year, last year it was about 4 infections. I went to a doctor later last year when I got a really hurrendous infection. I was in a lot of pain and I had so much cottage cheese like discharge I had to wear a sanitary pad- and change it multiple times a day. I was perscribed antibiotics and bought Monistat, but the doctor thought I had pelvic inflammitory disease Another doctor at the same office checked me the following week and said I didn't have it.

It's only the end of March and this is my 2nd or 3rd yeast infection of 2009- I try talking to my mother about seeing a doctor and says "Oh, alright" but since I have no gyno and no real doctor, there's not much I can do without her or my fathers help since I'm still a minor. I know there is something seriously wrong and I'm not really sure what to do at this point. I'm turning 18 in a few months and can do all this myself, should I wait until then or keep trying to get my mother to take me to a doctor?

Sorry this was so long and thanks for all who read
smiles.gif

TISH1124

I would keep talking to your Mother...ask her if you make the appt if she will go with you....Maybe it is the soap, body wash etc you are using...the real perfumey ones give me a yeast infection..I try not to switch soaps often. Also trying eating a yogurt everyday...that is what my doctor recommends....Are you on BC pills by chance if so they gave me horrid yeast infections...

I hope you get help soon...and if she is unwilling to take you now make sure you go for sure in two months

moopoint

Keep getting your mom to take you. When your 18 take matters in to your own hands. That super sucks chicky. But going with your mom can't hurt, do what you can for the time being.

I get bladder infections often, and it blows. I asked my doc what the deal was... cos like... I wash myself. He said some girls are more prone to bladder infections then others. Lucky me. But my point is that I kinda feel your pain.

Hope all goes well. Nothing worse than having issues, down under.

cupcake_x

Thanks to both of you
smiles.gif

I've tried switching around my soaps and undies and even sleeping underwearless. And I'm not on BC, no... It's so frustrating because I can't quite figure out what is causing this.

I used to get UTI's and kidney infections, are those the same as bladder infections? =/.. But then I stopped getting those and now I just get yeast infections!

I'm gonna try and talk to her again. It can't hurt to keep asking.
And again, thanks
smiles.gif

TISH1124

No keep asking...tell her that you are afraid it may be something very serious and express to her how uncomfortable they are....It could be something that you are eating...But Please try to convince her that it is important...

I used to get both UTI's/Bladder Infections and yeast Infections..they are all uncomfortable and quite bothersome.

frankenkitty71

Hi There! I can totally sympathise with you
smiles.gif
I had frequent yeast infections in my late teens. I am a microbiologist so I work with yeast. I think both you and your boyfriend need to see a doctor because over the counter treatment isn't working. If there is a Planned Parenthood in you area they can treat you at a low cost and if the rules haven't changed you don't have to be 18. The medicine in Monistat may not work against the strain of yeast you have so the Dr. at PP can prescribe you a different drug to try.(or even hook you up with samples-don't be afraid to ask) Men can be carriers of yeast without symptoms so it is important that he get checked also and probably use the same medicine as you at the same time as you. It would be helpful for the Dr. to take a culture just on the off chance it isn't yeast causing the infection. If you don't have a Planned Parenthood you could see your family doctor. General practitioners can do general OB/GYN treatment. I don't know if your mom goes in with you or not. If it is yeast I don't think you risk anything other than your comfort by waiting until you turn 18. If it is something other than yeast it could become PID and you risk sterility. Now... a little off subject... I don't know if you take baths but one summer I had many yeast infections and always got them after a bath. I finally noticed that the silver plate/ring around the lever to plug/unplug the drain had yeast and mold underneath it. It looked clean but wasn't underneath. Every time I took a bath deep enough to reach the ring I was exposing my body to yeast! Thank God I don't live there anymore! I hope you feel better and I answered some questions
smiles.gif
Best Wishes!!!

MissResha

frankenkitty is 100% right about men carrying yeast. one of my ex's had it all the time so he would give it to me unknowingly. but i figured out he was causing it for me and i took him to the doc, and i got on meds too. we both cleared up but i dumped him and i haven't had that problem with any other dude since.

TISH1124

^^^ LOL.......I used to get yeast infections from latex condoms too...Thank God for marriage and free willy!!

Cranberry juice is great for bladder infections and UTI's ..never heard of it for yeast infections...interesting

kittykit

I agree with frankenkitty! Your BF may be infected and showing no signs and he can re-infect you again during sex.

I've had yeast infections a few times when I was on the pills. My doc had to prescribe me another brand.

MissResha

^yea the pill can make you yeasty. i got off mine. eff that. and tish i hear you, latex condoms used to do that to me when i first started having sex. my body wasn't used to it lol.

cupcake_x

Thanks everyone for the responces.

I checked out a gyno yesterday and will make an appointment for the beginning of May.

My boyfriend recently got checked out down there by his doctor, but I'll get him to get it all checked out again. I started getting infections before we were sexually active, so I don't know.

And now I'm hearing frequent yeast infections usually equal diabetes, I'm freaking out!

TISH1124

^^ yeah i was getting them every other month...no diabetes here...But my ex did have to be treated as well...we were just passing it back and forth....and most normal tests on men do not show or they do not test for yeast infections...Have him take the meds anyway...can't hurt...and while taking the meds refrain from unprotected sex

cupcake_x

Thank you everyone
smiles.gif

For some reason, my infection has cleared without any treatment (weird!!!!) or going to a doctor.. I'm still gonna go to a gyno in May and see what's up anyway.

TISH1124

It may have not been a yeast infection then...you may be just getting irritated by something...soap, etc....

MACLovin

For me, it's antibiotics that cause them.. I think because they kill all the *good* bacteria down there, so yeah it sucks. I don't get them often, but Tish is right, eat yogurt every day but make sure it has live active cultures. It should keep your hoo-ha all regular and shit.

cupcake_x

I'll try that. I've also heard of putting yogurt up there, like using it as a douche or something.