What is happening to my eyeshadows?!

abbyquack

Ok so I have a few eyeshadows that have developed some sort of bumpy texture on them...I figured it was because I'd touched them with oily fingers- this was before I was really knowledgeable about makeup- so I now just use a brush, but even brushes have made them a little bumpy. I have taken care to wash my brushes frequently so why is this happening? It seems to happen most with the 242, is that brush different?

Lovebud
IMG_3738.jpg

Nanogold
IMG_3741.jpg

Vellum
IMG_3732.jpg

I have seen this at MAC with their testers and I know why it's caused there. b/c of all the people molesting the testers, but in my personal collection? Sad!

MissResha

i have a few shadows that look like your vellum, i dunno why...and i've never used my fingers with them. just brushes. i would also like to know this answer lol.

xxManBeaterxx

My patina and nylon eyeshadows look like that too.. I dont think i've ever touched those eyeshadows with my fingers i just assumed some finishes end up looking like that after use
shrugs.gif

stronqerx

I have a few of eyeshadows that look like that. In fact i think paradisco in my Hk palette looks like that already. I don't really mind though as long as it still works fine. I get the same amount of color payoff.

xxManBeaterxx

I did some browzing though my palettes and... all of my frost and lustre eyeshadows look like that, and some of my veluxe pearls too :\

claralikesguts

i think that's what happens when you use a somewhat sticky base, it's happened to a bunch of my e/s too :/ the color payoff is exactly the same, but it's just so ugly. i can't stand it
ssad.gif

User38

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyquack
Ok so I have a few eyeshadows that have developed some sort of bumpy texture on them...I figured it was because I'd touched them with oily fingers- this was before I was really knowledgeable about makeup- so I now just use a brush, but even brushes have made them a little bumpy. I have taken care to wash my brushes frequently so why is this happening? It seems to happen most with the 242, is that brush different?

Lovebud
IMG_3738.jpg

Nanogold
IMG_3741.jpg

Vellum
IMG_3732.jpg

I have seen this at MAC with their testers and I know why it's caused there. b/c of all the people molesting the testers, but in my personal collection? Sad!

Yikes -- I was told this was an accumulation of bacterias
ssad.gif
.. which is why I never try things on, just swatch on my inner arms.

mizuki~

Maybe it happened when you re-dip the brush back into the shadow and the oils from your eyelid or your base stuck onto the synthetic fibers of the 242 and transfers it onto the shadow? Synthetics are known for picking up wet isn't it? Just guessing though =/

abbyquack

Quote:
Originally Posted by stronqerx
I have a few of eyeshadows that look like that. In fact i think paradisco in my Hk palette looks like that already. I don't really mind though as long as it still works fine. I get the same amount of color payoff.

My Paradisco is starting to get bumps too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxManBeaterxx
I did some browzing though my palettes and... all of my frost and lustre eyeshadows look like that, and some of my veluxe pearls too :\

Hmm yea b/c afaik I don't have any mattes or satins with that look to them...I've also seen this on and old Iridescent Pressed Powder from the Tailormade collection...hmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuki~
Maybe it happened when you re-dip the brush back into the shadow and the oils from your eyelid or your base stuck onto the synthetic fibers of the 242 and transfers it onto the shadow? Synthetics are known for picking up wet isn't it? Just guessing though =/

This is what I'm wondering too...I know the 242 has different bristles than say the 239- it tends to pick up color better w/ less fallout, so I'm wondering if the hairs are conditioned with something. Also, it's true that the oils from my eye/paint pots could be getting on the brush and transfered into the shadow....so lately I've only been working on a small side of the e/s just to keep it contained as long as possible lol.

palatial

That's weird, none of my four palettes have any e/s that look like that. And they probably should because I am pretty forgetful about cleaning my brushes regularly
wondering.gif
and I always use a paint pot as a base.

But in the past when I use e/s wet (like wet the brush well with fix+) they get a weird layer on top, sort of similar to that. hmmmmmm that is weird!

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuki~

Exactly. This is what happens when oil is introduced to the surface of your shadows - either through contact with your skin or a oily base.

Hilly

It happened to mine when i depotted in the oven. I could never get any product anymore. I sent them back to corporate MAC and got a refund.

lara

It's completely normal and has nothing to do with oil or bacteria.

When powder products are pressed they undergo milling to get the texture as smooth as possible, but certain textures are prone to gathering together in little firm balls during the tumbling process. When the powder is pressed and set into an eyeshadow/blush/shimmer power/etc, the little solid balls of product are compacted and aren't revealed until your brush sweeps away the smooth surface to reveal them.
Lustres are the most likely to sport these and mattes the least likely. Certain pigment types are more inclined to ball up over time as well as are highly shimmery face powders.

Your eyeshadow is still perfectly usable.