What is happening to my eyeshadows?!

TISH1124

Mine have not done this yet...But what Lara said is 100%correct...I called My Old Lab instantly because I am OCD for real about Germs!! They look like they have coodies

sierrao

well my blushes get dark bumpy spots on them because my blush brush has a little bit of wet foundation on it from putting putting setting powder on my face. so it could be that ur brush is moist and ur putting it on the eyeshadows then it dries up and creates the spots.

joojoobss

your first two shadow doesnt look like because its dirty, i think its just the way MAC made the eyeshadows and it might not of got pressed right or something to do with how its made,
although your vellum looks different might be because youve touched it.

i noticed i get the bumps mostly with the frost and vp finishes like someone said above.

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerGreyness
Yikes -- I was told this was an accumulation of bacterias
ssad.gif
.. which is why I never try things on, just swatch on my inner arms.

powder products don't harbor bacteria, as long as water isn't introduced that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palatial
But in the past when I use e/s wet (like wet the brush well with fix+) they get a weird layer on top, sort of similar to that. hmmmmmm that is weird!

you should never use a wet brush directly on your shadows, or any pressed powder. the water seeps down to the bottom, then grows mold in the under layer, which will eventually work its way up the top. i wouldn't wanna use that on my eyes, would you?

if you wanna use a shadow wet, scrape a bit off the top layer and use that wet. this will prevent your shadows from getting yucky and needing to be chucked!

palatial

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881

if you wanna use a shadow wet, scrape a bit off the top layer and use that wet. this will prevent your shadows from getting yucky and needing to be chucked!

Thanks, that's a good tip! And yeah it makes me glad that I haven't used them wet in a long time lol (because the one I did use turned weird like you said and it's long gone)

Dahlia_Rayn

Is it weird that the thought of mold growing underneath my eyeshadows grosses me out way more then bacteria?

Bacteria is not always harmful, but mold just icks me out...and sorry to threadjack, but my friends and I bought donuts once, and my friend was eating a maple bar, and the frosting fell off and there was a thick layer of mold under it! Barftastic!

II3rinII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilly
It happened to mine when i depotted in the oven. I could never get any product anymore. I sent them back to corporate MAC and got a refund.

wait... so YOU depotted them which caused them to be ruined so you returned them to the company for a refund??? this is exactly why when customers ask if they can take the pans out of their eyeshadows and put them in their palette we say "nope, you shouldnt, you may mess them up". i dont mind someone returning a defective product but if they themselves ruined it, i dont think they should get a refund. but thats just my opinion...

II3rinII

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
It's completely normal and has nothing to do with oil or bacteria.

When powder products are pressed they undergo milling to get the texture as smooth as possible, but certain textures are prone to gathering together in little firm balls during the tumbling process. When the powder is pressed and set into an eyeshadow/blush/shimmer power/etc, the little solid balls of product are compacted and aren't revealed until your brush sweeps away the smooth surface to reveal them.
Lustres are the most likely to sport these and mattes the least likely. Certain pigment types are more inclined to ball up over time as well as are highly shimmery face powders.

Your eyeshadow is still perfectly usable.

you are very correct madame!!

youll notice it is mainly with the lustre finishes and formulas with a high amount of mica, they just arent as jet milled as the mattes satins and velvets.

also BTW the 252 and 242 are not synthetic, they are natural goat hair brushes, its just stiffer more coarse hair. silky brushes like the new 195 and also the 263 and 191 are among the synthetic brushes, they do not soak up a lot of product (which is why synthetic brushes work best with the new studio sculpt foundation).

LionQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by II3rinII
wait... so YOU depotted them which caused them to be ruined so you returned them to the company for a refund??? this is exactly why when customers ask if they can take the pans out of their eyeshadows and put them in their palette we say "nope, you shouldnt, you may mess them up". i dont mind someone returning a defective product but if they themselves ruined it, i dont think they should get a refund. but thats just my opinion...

agree. it's like dropping an eyeshadow on the floor, having it shatter, and then sending it back to mac asking for a refund for a "defective eyeshadow". You broke it, why ask mac to pay for it?

Lauren1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by II3rinII

youll notice it is mainly with the lustre finishes and formulas with a high amount of mica, they just arent as jet milled as the mattes satins and velvets.

wow... now that i think about it all of mine that have this prob are ones with lustre finish.
THANKS!

natjotua

that ususally happens to me when i use my shadows wet.. sometimes i forget and end up spraying my brush first.. then grabbing some shadow! purely my fault though!

abbyquack

Thanks so much everyone! I am a happy camper knowing that this is not super abnormal. I was getting a bit frustrated b/c even though I've not always been diligent in caring for my makeup, I have made a lot of changes lately, like not touching w/ hands, washing brushes frequently, not using e/s wet, storing in dry place- the list goes on. These are my babies after all! I don't like the bumps on them but as long as it's natural, I'll be ok.
smiles.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by joojoobss
your first two shadow doesnt look like because its dirty, i think its just the way MAC made the eyeshadows and it might not of got pressed right or something to do with how its made,
although your vellum looks different might be because youve touched it.

i noticed i get the bumps mostly with the frost and vp finishes like someone said above.

Yup, I do agree that my Vellum looks different...I must've touched it with my finger. I bought this one before I transitioned into my official addict stage and wasn't too informed about makeup care. :sad:

HeavenLeiBlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxManBeaterxx
My patina and nylon eyeshadows look like that too.. I dont think i've ever touched those eyeshadows with my fingers i just assumed some finishes end up looking like that after use
shrugs.gif

Same here. I've never used my fingers for my shadows, and I have this happening in one of my quads, but I never have taken it as cause for alarm. I did notice that this occurence is unique to my MAC shadows, though.