What items do you splurge on? What do you save on?

b3AuTiFuL323

I splurge on everything makeup related.I don't use any drugstore makeup products but I do buy my face wash and moisturizer stuff from drugstores though and some of my hair stuff too.

3jane

splurge:
- liquid foundation, concealer: Lancome, largely b/c I can score GWPs
winks.gif

- blush: NARS, Kevyn Aucoin...
- shampoo: Matrixx Amplify
- brow gel: Anastasia, or my brows can get unruly
- liner: UD 24/7
- primer: UDPP
- nails: Lippmann, OPI... but I always do them myself, so still cheaper than manicures
- perfume

varies:
- mascara: constantly trying new ones, or I'll often layer two (one being DS the other HE)
- eyeshadow/lipstick: sometimes NARS, but often the Lancome GWP
- brushes: scored some awesome Lancome brush sets at Marshalls, and a few Posh ones
- most hair styling stuff: sometimes free Bumble & Bumble, otherwise I bite the bullet and get the products (and I get my hair done for free, so that goes a long way to justify the splurging)

save:
- body wash: soap
- scrub: trader joe's grapefruit salt scrub = ridiculously soft skin
- face wash, body moisturizer: Cetaphil
- MU remover, face moisturizer, sunscreen: Neutrogena
- powder foundation: Phys Formula pressed mineral powder
- hairspray: tresemme
- bronzer: got one GWP and that's lasting me
- lip balm/gloss: don't really use...

Pimpinett

My preferred skincare regime is very inexpensive, but I honestly don't think I'm scrimping on it - I've tried oodles of high-end, pricey skincare products and my skin is just as happy, if not happier, with a basic, simple cleansing lotion and toner from a Swedish pharmacy brand, a great, efficient Eucerin moisturizer, pharmacy sunscreens and Aspirin scrub.

Same goes for my brushes, loose powder, eyebrow pencils, false eyelashes and many of my basic eyeshadows - I buy artist brushes, Kryolan eyeshadows, Grimas pencils, and so on, and get great quality without paying a lot of extra cash for glamourous packaging that I don't need anyway.

I wash my body with soap and use cheap body moisturizers, inexpensive medical hand salves and lip balms, and I buy cheap hair products, although I'm not very happy with my hair lately and have been thinking of trying high-end stuff to see if it makes any difference.

I'm willing to splurge on MAC paints and paint pots, though, because I wear them every day and love the quality, as well as foundations and mascaras, and I'm a total perfume snob. I also like my compact powder and lipsticks to look pretty for touch-ups, so I'll splurge on them, too.

TDoll

I splurge on 95% of my makeup. I save on things like liquid liner, translucent powder (which I rarely use) clear brow gel, and mascara.

I definitely splurge on hair care products. I use all Aveda shampoos, conditioners, and styling products. WITH THE EXCEPTION of hairspray...I love the John Frieda crystal clear blonde hairspray that you can get at the drugstore.

I splurge on my cleansers and moisturizers, but save on things like makeup remover wipes. I don't see buying the more expensive MAC wipes when you have to re-purchase so often.

I save on body lotions and usually get my body washes/exfoliating scrubs from BBW

vandael

I'm a monster beauty junkie, so I like to try everything at least once. But I guess I do a decent mix of high- and low-end products I believe work best for me:

SAVE:
- Cetaphil gentle cleanser
- Nivea Moisuturing toner
- Olay Complete moisturizer
- Biore pore strips
- Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque
- Loreal Advanced eye cream (night)
- Dove Shampoos & Conditioners
- Dove cleansing bars
- Monistat Chafing Relief gel (fab primer!)
- NYX eyeshadows & jumbo eye pencils
- Loreal HIP and Ulta liners
- Coastal Scent brushes
- Everyday Minerals foundation, powders, blushes, & brushes
- NYC nail polish & liners

SPLURGE:
- Clinique Take the Day Off makeup remover
- MAC Fast Response eye cream (day)
- Skin Food BB cream
- MAC Fix+
- MAC brushes
- MAC, Lancome, Stila, Nars e/s, powder, & blushes
- Lancome mascara!!!
- Kerastase Ciment Thermique
- Haircuts

I guess great makeup and a good skin routine go hand-in-hand, but I tend to splurge more on makeup since I have pretty clear skin. I attribute it to genes and religious makeup removal. I never go to bed with makeup on and every now and then I like to give my face a break and go makeup-free. But when picking a product, I love drugstore makeup for experimenting and department store/high-end cosmetics for better color payoff.

PBunnieP

Cheap: Body Care [lotions, wash etc], self tanner, nail polis, mascara [i do own 1-2 expensive ones - dior & Lancome], blush/contour, lip liner, pencil eyeliner, makeup brushes [the most i ever spent on a brush was $20], eye makeup remover, hair care

Splurge: MAC Fluidline, Lush Face Masks, face peels [liquid exfoliator not scrub.... $25 Cad/bottle], Toner, Powder foundations/Powders [$20-38 CAD/each], Tinted Moisturizer [right now i'm using a $50 CAD _ BB Cream]

INDECISIVE:
Sometimes I can't decide between high or low end... I always seem to think there is a better one out there =.="
-Face care [mix of high & low...constantly rotating]
-Liquid Foundations [I'm quite pale so the colour match is ok but i'm oily so quickly and can't seem to find one that doens't irritate my acne prone skin]
-Eyeshadows [I own a few MAC ones but I'm so bad at applying shadow that i dunno if it's even worth it]

Trista

I save on foundation since I hardly wear it. I also save on most perfumed body lotion since my skin has become so sensitive to certain body products- I had the worst reaction to Bath and Body Works lotion (boohoo!).
I splurge on everything else which is why I am so broke. My worst splurges have to be on eyeshadows, lipsticks and skin care products.

KellyBean

Splurge:
Pigments because I know that they'll last a long time
Tools because they're more important than the makeup a lot of the times
Curl-defining foam because it's the only one that works
Blush, although the ones I have now from MAC are from a CCO for like $10
smiles.gif

Eyeshadows because they show up well
Foundations because they are the thing to touch my skin
and bases because they make a huge difference.

Save:
Lip products, especially balms
Shampoo
Conditioner. Once I got the Redken liters which were 2 for 29.99. If I see the same deal again, I'll definitely do it because the bottles lasted forever (about 8 months) and I really liked the results.
Leave in conditioner (aka kid's detangler)
most of my skincare. I like Neutrogena and Biore, though I've been lusting over dermalogica.
nail care (Sally Hansen rocks my socks)
Makeup remover
Mascara
eyeliner (NYC pencils are my fave)
Haircut ($30, but I trust my hairstylist)

candlesxvi

Save:
shampoo, conditioner, cleanser, facial moisturizer (only because all of the high end ones I've tried have just ruined my skin), facial scrubs, body scrubs, lip balm, body lotion

Semi Splurge:
shower Gel, sometimes body scrub, some hair products (my hairspray and texturizer), nail polish

Splurge
all cosmetics! and maybe a facial masque or treatment

sofabean

splurge:
- mac brushes!!! i am all for great brushes or else you'd get nowhere!
- nyx stuff from cherry culture because it's so darn cheap! lol
- forever 21 clothing because again, it's cheap and super cute
- hair salons!!! feeling good after you get a haircut/dye is very important
- clinique 3 step system - i will pretty much always buy these at the drop of a hat because they are my staples

save:
- hair spray!! they're all the same........ kind of heh :p
- shampoo/conditioner
- razors! for shaving! some are like $11? oh hell no! lol. almost as much as a mac e/s!

kelcia

I splurge on: videogames eventhough it's not in this topic. lol. But foundations and powders.. and a bronzer (i'm thinking of buying the big cargo bronzer.. use it all the time) and I did on mascara a couple of months ago.. lancome.. hypnose.. SO worth it.. I normally don't though.. and eyeshadow.. definite.. and udpp
Perfume too. I'll pay whatever for a good scent. (Dior Addict is my staple)
I save on hair products and face products.. puuuure drugstore stuff. Except my moisturizer I use with my make up.. that's Dior.. (smells bad.. works miracles)
Hair cuts too... 30 bucks
Nail stuff, don't really care.
Lipsticks i'll go either way.. I wouldn't buy MAC lipstick unless it was for a special occasion type thing.
Pencil liner.. I refuse to pay money for pencil liners..
Blush.. not to keen on blush. I barely wear the stuff actually.. down here (on the island) it's like 'whoa you're wearing blush' so I hardly wear it.
lip liner.. that's something that doesn't need to be ridiculously expensive.

Lalai

I splurge on base make-up: foundation, powder and primer. The other stuff I can save on because they're not as important. Foundation is probably the most important thing because if your foundation looks crap, your whole make-up does too
ssad.gif

chickenkebob

I save money when it comes to: hair care, nail polish, make-up cleansers, lip moisturizers

I spurge on: skin care (moisurizers, night creams, proactiv), MMU, gloss, blushes, eyeshadows

static_universe

I save on mascara (Cover Girl and Rimmel), make up removers, lotions, hair care, chapstick (DCT omg), eyeliner pencils, and brushes (though I'm starting to get nicer brushes).

I splurge on MAC and UD eyeshadows, foundation, UDPP, Fluidlines, and Origins things.

Lucenah

I splurge on:
  • lid primers
  • EYESHADOWS
  • makeup brushes
  • liquid eyeliners
  • loose powders / foundations (to an extent ^_^)
I save on:
  • lip glosses / balm
  • mascara
  • some eyeliners (I still love my black Rimmel Exaggerate... I just can't seem to let it go!)
  • blush
  • eye makeup removers
  • shampoo / conditioner / bodywash
  • facial cleansers / moisturizers (but I don't cheap out THAT much - you only have one skin)

I don't use lipstick or nail products :-o
And all I do to style my hair is brush it and throw on a few bobby pins... haha, I just like my hair the way it is?

thmbup.gif

Mabelle

i go cheap on body washes, body moisturizers,lip balm, facial scrubs, mascara, hair dye

my shampoo is carried in pharmacies; john ferida red collection. It's about 10$ a bottle CAD, which is still kinda expensive. I stick to aveeno moisturizer for my skin. St ives scrubs for my face. neutrogena scrub for my body...

I go higher end with other things like;
makeup, facial moisturizer, hair repair kits, perfumes
occasionally i'll go to the body shop or lush for some body/bath stuff, but only when im feeling saucy.

perfectdefect

I splurge on almost everything. Shampoo, face products expecially eyeliner and cleanser, food because I have to eat so carefully.