Why R We Always Left Out?!

greatscott2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Pixie04
Girl, thats my store. Come see me. I've got all the more ethnic friendly brands to a T when I get darker skinned clients that come in. I have combination undertones so I know how difficult it can be to match foundation. Vincent Longo, NARS, Stila and sometimes Lorac can be successful, depending on the price range and skin type.

YAY!! I'll probably cruise in there tomorrow! Thanks!
clap.gif

MAC_Pixie04

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatscott2000
YAY!! I'll probably cruise in there tomorrow! Thanks!
clap.gif

I'll be there tomorrow from 12-6. My name is Ashlee.

kiannack

Bovanti.com is a pretty good line for black women. Some girl who lived in my old dorm is somehow related to the owners and she promotes it like crazy on campus. I also get very furstrated looking for makeup products. I went up to the NY Sephora and wanted to find some blush (I'm about NW45 or BB chestnut), I literally searched every brand in there and the only blushes that didn't look horrible on me was NARS and Kimora Lee's brand who's shades of makeup aren't really suited for darker skin women. The overall selection in Sephora was very dissapointing, they used to sell Iman but stopped for some reason. I ended up buying a NARS blush that looks great. Black women are one of the biggest consumers of beauty products even though we are a minority in this country. You would think by now that these companies could grasp that concept.

L281173

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrlips
wow this thread is awesome. For me a lady of color that doesn't wear foundation often this gave me some direction as to where I need to look for foundation on those days when I want to be all dolled up. So thanks ladies for the great references and advise but what happened to Fashion Fair have women of color moved away from this product? They have been around forever maybe I missed it but I didn't see it mentioned in this thread.

My hairstylist is a professional makeup artist who claims that Fashion Fair has not kept up with the times as far a trends. He commonly pertains to fashion fair as the makeup line for old southern black and carribean women. He feels that the line is antiquated.
cheerleader.gif
lmao.gif

MAChostage

Quote:
Originally Posted by L281173
My hairstylist is a professional makeup artist who claims that Fashion Fair has not kept up with the times as far a trends. He commonly pertains to fashion fair as the makeup line for old southern black and carribean women. He feels that the line is antiquated.
cheerleader.gif
lmao.gif

It's funny that FF has come up in this topic as I actually stopped at a counter in a store over the weekend -- specifically because it's not something I'm accustomed to seeing anywhere any more. I went to the lipsticks thinking "let me see if they still have those same colors from WAY back in the day" -- and they did! IMO, FF was what it was in its day: a trendsetter and a viable option for women of color. But I'll tell you what, I had a tendency to kind of admire the Flori Roberts line back then (it struck me as somehow more "sophisticated", hee hee). But I surely agree with the opinion of FF as an antiquated cosmetic line! It obviously has a following if it's managed to stay around in the stores for as long as it has, though.

Painkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonyannette
I dont know if its too hard to get the formulation right but if they can come up with 30 products for fair skinned people why cant they spend a few research dollars and come up with some for darker skinned people too?

I have to disagree here. I'm pretty fucking pale: pink undertones, disappearing in flash photos, SPF 50+ everyday, the whole 9 yards. So why is it that I haven't been able to find foundation or concealer that doesn't look too tan or too orange on me yet? The closest I've come is Bobbi Brown Moisture Rich in Alabaster, and it still leaves a pretty noticeable difference between face and neck.

So as you can see, I can completely empathize with you. I know how frustrating it is going through 1370258232 products and never finding a match, but cosmetic companies do not cater to the fair-skinned, anymore than they do to dark-skinned women. I guess that since most people fall somewhere in between, that's the most profitable way out, so they just go for that and come up with 3 or 4 shades on either end of the spectrum that just don't cut it for a lot of us. It's sad, but I guess it's the most sensible thing for a big makeup company to do, business-wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonyannette
and I also have bra issues sexypuma but my issues are because Im a 42 DD, if it werent for Lane Bryant I would be wearing the box playtex "cone" bras! ha ha!!!!

Lucky you.
ssad.gif
There's no Lane Bryant around here, so I'm stuck with the nasty granny bras (which I still have to take in, because NO ONE MAKES A 32 DD!!
angry.gif
)

captodometer

soapbox.gif
Just want to rant about the color selections in the Danse and Barbie collections. Too pastel: they would either not show up, or make me look pale and ill. Didn't buy a single thing from either collection
th_remoteImage-61.gif

Beauty Mark

Quote:
Lucky you. There's no Lane Bryant around here, so I'm stuck with the nasty granny bras (which I still have to take in, because NO ONE MAKES A 32 DD!

I'm a 32D. www.figleaves.com won't have a huge selection compared to that of the more popular sizes (34B-C, for instance), but you won't be stuck in ugly things.

They allegedly have a great return policy, but I have never had to use it.

calbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by captodometer
soapbox.gif
Just want to rant about the color selections in the Danse and Barbie collections. Too pastel: they would either not show up, or make me look pale and ill. Didn't buy a single thing from either collection
th_remoteImage-61.gif

I can agree with Danse but Barbie has some really pretty colors for us. Beauty Burst is amazingly pigmented and gorgeous. Happening Gal is extra pretty with a bit of sparkle - it is gorgeous over Modern Ms. Fab blush was meant for our skin tone and either Beauty powder can work if you use highlighters. Those were just the products that were made for us - Sweetness is real nice over lots of different lippies. It looks like a pale pink but it's mostly shimmer so it is nice as a gloss.

It is the first time in awhile that all the girls were fighting over gratis. Cause those pale girls did not want to have to get that one meant for the darker gals.

BTW I'm an NC50

aziajs

Quote:
cheerleader.gif
lmao.gif

Girl, that is not a "claim". That is the truth! Fashion Fair was ok 20 years ago but the world of cosmetics has come soooooo far and they haven't kept up and as a result have gotten left in the dust. But the thing that is also unfortunate about Fashion Fair is that for a line that is targeted toward women of color it falls short in being able to provide such products that their target group. I have heard many women of color gripe about not being able to find the correct foundation, lipstick and eyeshadow to compliment their skin.

Naturellle

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear
I can agree with Danse but Barbie has some really pretty colors for us. Beauty Burst is amazingly pigmented and gorgeous. Happening Gal is extra pretty with a bit of sparkle - it is gorgeous over Modern Ms. Fab blush was meant for our skin tone and either Beauty powder can work if you use highlighters. Those were just the products that were made for us - Sweetness is real nice over lots of different lippies. It looks like a pale pink but it's mostly shimmer so it is nice as a gloss.

It is the first time in awhile that all the girls were fighting over gratis. Cause those pale girls did not want to have to get that one meant for the darker gals.

BTW I'm an NC50

I agree!!! Pearl Sunshine Beauty Powder is soooooo pretty! I love it! I provides a beautiful sheen; not too shimmery. It's a very pretty peachy color. It reminds me of glissade MSF but not as intense and there is less pink in it. Magic Dust e/s is perfect for a brow highlighter. I'm NC45.

MiCHiE

Fashion Fair scares me. I think that is the reason it took me 29 years to wear makeup. My mother and sister wore it and every time I would go to the counter with them, I just wanted to run. All of the makeup looked like it was packed with oil and really dense. Even the Oil-Free isn't convincing, as far as looking matte or oil-free. Their advertisements don't even catch my eye. They look like they're targeting mothers and grandmothers. When I think of Fashion Fair, I don't think "hip", but somebody's keeping them in business....

OK....I really don't mean to make fun of this line, but their "Featured Artists" look like Funeral Home staff. I just saw that they have mineral powder, too.

Chyrise

I'm really feeling you. So far MAC is the only line that has the right foundation shade for me all year around because I have to switch up in the summer when I get darker. What annoys me most about other brands is they seem to skip over shades. I'll find a really nice shade that is perfect for me in the winter, but the next shade deeper is too dark for me in the summer. They don't realize women of color come in many different skin tones. Some of those other lines only have four or five shades. I started using MAC foundation a few years ago then switched to Prescriptives but just recently came back to MAC. I'm glad to be home!
eyelove.gif

Bronxcutie

I've been to Sephora three times this week. I was looking for a powder foundation. I use Sephora's "All Over Skin," which is pretty good, but I like to switch brands once in a while. I wanted to try LORAC or Make Up Forever. None of the locations had shades for my complexion. I've been encouraged to apply for a part-time job at Sephora because of my passion for makeup and because of how much I love shopping there. I don't know if I can deal with disappointed women of color desperately trying to find their shades. The only line that had a large range of shades was Sephora's brand. Dior is the WORST! They had only shades in fair and olive skin tones. I couldn't find the powder foundation I wanted, so I walked across the street to MAC and ended up getting Studio Fix in NC50.

TangoMango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painkiller
I have to disagree here. I'm pretty fucking pale: pink undertones, disappearing in flash photos, SPF 50+ everyday, the whole 9 yards. So why is it that I haven't been able to find foundation or concealer that doesn't look too tan or too orange on me yet? The closest I've come is Bobbi Brown Moisture Rich in Alabaster, and it still leaves a pretty noticeable difference between face and neck.

So as you can see, I can completely empathize with you. I know how frustrating it is going through 1370258232 products and never finding a match, but cosmetic companies do not cater to the fair-skinned, anymore than they do to dark-skinned women. I guess that since most people fall somewhere in between, that's the most profitable way out, so they just go for that and come up with 3 or 4 shades on either end of the spectrum that just don't cut it for a lot of us. It's sad, but I guess it's the most sensible thing for a big makeup company to do, business-wise.

Lucky you.
ssad.gif
There's no Lane Bryant around here, so I'm stuck with the nasty granny bras (which I still have to take in, because NO ONE MAKES A 32 DD!!
angry.gif
)

HOLY CRAP! I'm a 32 DD as well! I never thought I'd come across another person that wears that size like me. I hate bra shopping and have to dish out $40 + just to get a decent bra!

Oh, man! Fashion Fair. When I think of Fashion Fair, I think of my grandmother. That's all she wears. I really do think their target group is for older black women. The Sales Associates there are all older black women. I usually stay away from there because when I was really young, my mom was at the counter and I picked a lipstick and the lady yelled 'Don't Touch!' So from then on, I promised myself not to go that place ever again. I just relate Fashion Fair to stuffy old people. I don't mean to rag on them, but that was pretty crappy. Also, their advertisements that I see in Essence don't appeal to me. I mean, I'm 17, so I want a company that's hip and up to the times.

macslut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Pixie04
Dior Airflash comes in 4 shades, Porcelain, White, Less White, and White With A Tan (those aren't the names lol thats what we refer to them as). It's infuriating. I'm the only African American woman in my store. There are several asian and mixed ethnicities, but they don't have as much trouble finding their shade as I do.
I had a client come in the other day and I overheard her tell her friend "Why aren't there any Black artists in here? These white girls aren't gonna be able to relate to me."

Hmmmm. So should I assume that just because there is a darker skinned makeup artist at the counter that she just would not be able to relate to me as a lighter skinned lady. Maybe I should stop going to the my hairstylist because she is black and would not relate to me. It doesn't matter that I refer to her as the "miracle worker' and we are so close in personality that we both have a blast and end up in tears laughing so hard. That would be just as wrong as what those girls said. If you go to someone and they really don't relate to you (as I have in the past...in fact there is one makeup artist at MAC that I am thinking of...nothing to do with skin color just personality), then you move on. But you don't make an assumption based on skin color.

I am sorry if I have offended people but this sort of shit makes me very mad. Color of skin does not matter...at least to me.

So anyway, what about Iman's line. It seems to go from the very light to the very dark and has some shades for Asian skintones.
http://www.imancosmetics.com/1.0/

L281173

Quote:
Originally Posted by macslut
Hmmmm. So should I assume that just because there is a darker skinned makeup artist at the counter that she just would not be able to relate to me as a lighter skinned lady. Maybe I should stop going to the my hairstylist because she is black and would not relate to me. It doesn't matter that I refer to her as the "miracle worker' and we are so close in personality that we both have a blast and end up in tears laughing so hard. That would be just as wrong as what those girls said. If you go to someone and they really don't relate to you (as I have in the past...in fact there is one makeup artist at MAC that I am thinking of...nothing to do with skin color just personality), then you move on. But you don't make an assumption based on skin color.

I am sorry if I have offended people but this sort of shit makes me very mad. Color of skin does not matter...at least to me.

So anyway, what about Iman's line. It seems to go from the very light to the very dark and has some shades for Asian skintones.

I have had some white makeup artists (male) try things that I wouldn't have normally tried. Many of them made me realize the importance of taking chances and trying new things.
lmao.gif
cutey.gif
wavey.gif

L281173

lmao.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAChostage
It's funny that FF has come up in this topic as I actually stopped at a counter in a store over the weekend -- specifically because it's not something I'm accustomed to seeing anywhere any more. I went to the lipsticks thinking "let me see if they still have those same colors from WAY back in the day" -- and they did! IMO, FF was what it was in its day: a trendsetter and a viable option for women of color. But I'll tell you what, I had a tendency to kind of admire the Flori Roberts line back then (it struck me as somehow more "sophisticated", hee hee). But I surely agree with the opinion of FF as an antiquated cosmetic line! It obviously has a following if it's managed to stay around in the stores for as long as it has, though.

Is it just me or does Fashion Fair lipstick have more perfume in it. You don't have to even brush your teeth when you wear that lipstick. The fragance can over power any bad smelling breath.
rofl.gif

macslut

Quote:
I have had some white makeup artists (male) try things that I wouldn't have normally tried. Many of them made me realize the importance of taking chances and trying new things.
lmao.gif
cutey.gif
wavey.gif

Very true. We have a MA here who is the same skin tone as me. I like to see what he is wearing because it may look good on me.

aziza

Quote:
Originally Posted by macslut

Hmmm...I know what you're saying but let me make this parallel. I'm a size 18 and work at NY&Co. I'm the biggest woman at my store and I always have larger customers asking my advice on what items in the store would best fit them. They come to me because we have apparently have something in common and therefore we may have the same struggles and issues when it comes to clothing. They're not ignoring my coworkers just seeking assistance from someone who can relate to them. If they don't find what they need from me, they simply move on.

Can you see the parallel? Sometimes I think people look too deep into things. Sure...discrimination and prejudging can occur in instances like this but sometimes it's just more practical to walk up to the MA that most closely resemble your skin tone and ask them what their favorite shades are. I see nothing wrong in doing so. It's purely cosmetic (no pun intended).