Why R We Always Left Out?!

macslut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumtingSweet
Hmmm...I know what you're saying but let me make this parallel. I'm a size 18 and work at NY&Co. I'm the biggest woman at my store and I always have larger customers asking my advice on what items in the store would best fit them. They come to me because we have apparently have something in common and therefore we may have the same struggles and issues when it comes to clothing. They're not ignoring my coworkers just seeking assistance from someone who can relate to them. If they don't find what they need from me, they simply move on.

Can you see the parallel? Sometimes I think people look too deep into things. Sure...discrimination and prejudging can occur in instances like this but sometimes it's just more practical to walk up to the MA that most closely resemble your skin tone and ask them what their favorite shades are. I see nothing wrong in doing so. It's purely cosmetic (no pun intended).

I understand where you are coming from and if there is a MA who is close to your skintone, that would make sense. BUT these women made an assumption that because someone is of a certain skintone that they could not relate to them. I am not saying that it is discrimination or prejudice. I feel they are limiting themselves by judging someone based on skintone.

I appreciate your response.

Bronxcutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoMango
HOLY CRAP! I'm a 32 DD as well! I never thought I'd come across another person that wears that size like me. I hate bra shopping and have to dish out $40 + just to get a decent bra!

Oh, man! Fashion Fair. When I think of Fashion Fair, I think of my grandmother. That's all she wears. I really do think their target group is for older black women. The Sales Associates there are all older black women. I usually stay away from there because when I was really young, my mom was at the counter and I picked a lipstick and the lady yelled 'Don't Touch!' So from then on, I promised myself not to go that place ever again. I just relate Fashion Fair to stuffy old people. I don't mean to rag on them, but that was pretty crappy. Also, their advertisements that I see in Essence don't appeal to me. I mean, I'm 17, so I want a company that's hip and up to the times.

My grandmother has been wearing Fashion Fair's "Brown Sugar" lipstick since the 60's and she's not trying anything new! ROFLMAO! They really need to reformulate the brand. The packaging is dated, the shadows are chalky, and the foundation seems to have only red undertones. It's just odd.

L281173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxcutie
My grandmother has been wearing Fashion Fair's "Brown Sugar" lipstick since the 60's and she's not trying anything new! ROFLMAO! They really need to reformulate the brand. The packaging is dated, the shadows are chalky, and the foundation seems to have only red undertones. It's just odd.

Don't feel bad. My mom is 75 and she is still wearing Brown Sugar Lipstick Fashion Fair.
lmao.gif
clap.gif
rofl.gif

calbear

WHAT?!?! They not rocking the classic Vin Rose from FF?!?!?!!? I thought everyone who used FF had that one. I did see one the other day (chocolate raspberry) that I have to go and buy. It was such a beautiful vibrant pink that was gorgeous on a customer.

Beauty Mark

Quote:
I understand where you are coming from and if there is a MA who is close to your skintone, that would make sense. BUT these women made an assumption that because someone is of a certain skintone that they could not relate to them. I am not saying that it is discrimination or prejudice. I feel they are limiting themselves by judging someone based on skintone.

The example I've always given is that I've had my hair cut by Asian women before. I'm Asian, so I figured that they would understand my hair type better, since they have a similar kind. East Asian hair is different enough from white people's hair that you do need to know how to handle it.

Those have been the worst haircuts I have ever received, to the point I had to reshape some myself. I've also helped my friends, who are much larger and many different shades different than I, select clothes and makeup. I can dress a larger body now just as well as I can dress my own. You really cannot judge a book by its cover.

Back on topic... is there anything you find particularly easy to get? I usually don't struggle with buying eyeshadows/eye makeup or darker lipsticks. For some reason, though, I can't find a suitable natural lipstick and have just about given up on that.

elektra513

IMO it's truly sad when the journey to find a foundation match takes freaking 10+ yrs. I've been trial-and-error-ing it that long. In the last few though, I thought I found something in Clinique --Golden (15)--but the trouble was that the counters didn't sell it, like ever, and if they did they had one bottle of it in the very back of the cabinet, dusting it off and whatnot. So anyways, I found that MAC's NW43 was what i had been waiting for (working on eradicating acne scars from college also had a hand in it, btw). Even w/the spf in the SF fluid, it's a perfect match. I found out that I am more olive, not really warm, not really cool, so that's what the issue had been all along. Darned undertones--always peeking out to say hi
rofl.gif

Great thread!

RedDrama

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonyannette
Arggh!!!
soapbox.gif

I have a gripe about cosmetics companies. I always read and hear these rave reviews on a product and then I go to get it and they dont make my shade!
Whats up with that?! how hard is it to make colors for darkers skin tones? It obviously must be VERY difficult because only a few brands have make up for dark skin tones worth buying.
Its pretty upsetting to have your hopes up for a particular foundation or product only to go to the counter and they either look at you with that "we have nothing for you look" or they "just try" their darkest color on you, knowing good and well it will do nothing but make me look ashy.
I mean things are getting better, and honestly alot of companies have come a long way but I think alot of dark skin women dont wear make up because of the hassle of trying to find their shade or when they do find their shade its a formulation that breaks them out. I know plenty of people like that young and old. Why cant cosmetics companies get their acts together?
So thats my gripe for the day, if anyone has any comments or suggestion I would appreciate it
type.gif

I have to say that I'm some what shocked at this thread cause I find this to be totally untrue. Have you really looked into foundations in the dept store? Practicully all brands with the exception of Chanel make foundations for women of color, but if you don't patronize the shade the manufactor will discontinue the product from lack of sales. I love Dior's "Diorskin Fluide spf 12", I wear shade #500 Dark Beige, but the range goes all the way to shade #800 for really dark skin, they use to have shade #900 in which you had to be jet black to wear it but it was discontinued from lack of sales. Face it, the majority of black women just aren't into makeup, how many plain faces do you see on a daily basis? Granted, at $41/bottle not too many black women want to spend that kind of money on foundation, but to me you get what you pay for with Dior. The problem I had with some brands such as Estee Lauder & Fashion Fair is their foundations made you look like a red faced clown, but with Diorskin you look absolutely natural & flawless. Shade #600 is for light brown skinned gals, #700 is for medium-dark skin, & #800 is for very dark skin. For those who don't want the Cadillac brands like Dior, there is Revlon's "Color Stay with Softflex", comes in 2 formulas, 1 with spf & 1 without for $12. Of course it can't compare to the quality of Dior but it's a nice foundation with a wide range of shades for women of all colors, & Loreal has a nice range of shades too with their "HIP" (high intentsity pigment) foundations.

Macnarsandlove

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDrama
I have to say that I'm some what shocked at this thread cause I find this to be totally untrue. Have you really looked into foundations in the dept store? Practicully all brands with the exception of Chanel make foundations for women of color, but if you don't patronize the shade the manufactor will discontinue the product from lack of sales. I love Dior's "Diorskin Fluide spf 12", I wear shade #500 Dark Beige, but the range goes all the way to shade #800 for really dark skin, they use to have shade #900 in which you had to be jet black to wear it but it was discontinued from lack of sales. Face it, the majority of black women just aren't into makeup, how many plain faces do you see on a daily basis? Granted, at $41/bottle not too many black women want to spend that kind of money on foundation, but to me you get what you pay for with Dior. The problem I had with some brands such as Estee Lauder & Fashion Fair is their foundations made you look like a red faced clown, but with Diorskin you look absolutely natural & flawless. Shade #600 is for light brown skinned gals, #700 is for medium-dark skin, & #800 is for very dark skin. For those who don't want the Cadillac brands like Dior, there is Revlon's "Color Stay with Softflex", comes in 2 formulas, 1 with spf & 1 without for $12. Of course it can't compare to the quality of Dior but it's a nice foundation with a wide range of shades for women of all colors, & Loreal has a nice range of shades too with their "HIP" (high intentsity pigment) foundations.

Belived me I've looked. Hight End Cosmetics are my specialty. I have found great ysl and armani foundation and I'm a nc45/50. I dont think its an issue whether these companies make it period I think its an issue whether they do it right. Ypure right the red face thing is gross. And once again the whole 10 shades of beige and "natural" with one dark and really dark. The quality of some high end is horrible.

Starr1

Quote:

Okay, let me stand up on my soapbox
soapbox.gif
: When it comes down to most "High ends" don't address the shades that women of color need. It's a shame because my mother who is more than willing to shell out the money for good makeup up and skincare(we're talking a couple hundred dollars per trip) could never find a decent foundation color until I introduced her to MAC 3 years ago. My mother would rather go "bare faced" than look like she's wearing a mask, and honestly so would I. Not everyone is "Beige" or "Dark Beige" and 14 shades of foundation aren't going to address the mulititude of shades that people come in. After all not every light skinned black girl is golden. What about the girl that's really pink, or really yellow or dark with an olive undertone? And the problem isn't that ethnic women aren't willing to pay for a high end or good product it's that those products aren't MARKETED to or made for them. That's why those few colors get discontinued; not because they wouldn't sell and because women wouldn't buy them, but because some companies could care less to market to minorities. That would mean paying for addtional ad campaigns and models salaries and frankly they'd rather save money and not produce the shade at all. Laura Mercier, Dior, Chanel, etc, don't go out their way to put anyone other than white women in their ads- when was the last time you saw an Asian, middle eastern, latina or black woman in one of their ads? My friend Cassie, who is the whitest shade that any human can be and has a terrible time finding anything to match her skin even noticed this. So when a woman of color goes into the department store to look for a foundation and the darkest color is a shade of light beige and they don't even carry her color or a remotely similiar color-what do you think the chances of her returning to that same cosmetics counter are? And the stores don't stock it because they can't sell the one Wesley Snipes shade they have in the corner because few women are that shade. It's a vicious cycle: the customers won't buy because the stores don't stock their shades and the stores won't stock their shades because the customers aren't buying.

So it's up to the companies to make the effort.

Okay getting off my soapbox now.

MAChostage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr1
And the stores don't stock it because they can't sell the one Wesley Snipes shade they have in the corner because few women are that shade.

lmao.gif
I read this and ROLLED... "Wesley Snipes shade"... that was good! (But your comments were definitely on point.)

lilchocolatema

This is one of the reasons that I created my beauty blog. I wanted it to be geared toward us, because we really don't have a place to go and see what works for us! I was sick and tired of seeing a billion reviews on this and that and that mess was not for us. Like when companies sit down and talk about new products and who they are marketing it to, sistas just don't seem to be in the mix! But I definitely agree that Becca, MUFE and MAC are lines that do extend their color range out to anyone they think might exist. Not only for the basic face pallette of foundation, concealer and powder, but for shadows, highlighters, lip gloss, etc. I think that in time, they will realize that WE LOVE BEAUTY TOO!!!

AppleDiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonyannette
Arggh!!!
soapbox.gif

I have a gripe about cosmetics companies. I always read and hear these rave reviews on a product and then I go to get it and they dont make my shade!
Whats up with that?! how hard is it to make colors for darkers skin tones? It obviously must be VERY difficult because only a few brands have make up for dark skin tones worth buying.
Its pretty upsetting to have your hopes up for a particular foundation or product only to go to the counter and they either look at you with that "we have nothing for you look" or they "just try" their darkest color on you, knowing good and well it will do nothing but make me look ashy.
I mean things are getting better, and honestly alot of companies have come a long way but I think alot of dark skin women dont wear make up because of the hassle of trying to find their shade or when they do find their shade its a formulation that breaks them out. I know plenty of people like that young and old. Why cant cosmetics companies get their acts together?
So thats my gripe for the day, if anyone has any comments or suggestion I would appreciate it
type.gif

I didn't realize that Fashion Fairhas not kept up with the times.

AppleDiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Pixie04
I hate that certain powders and the MAC MSFs come in "light, medium, dark, deep dark" that shit is NOT fair range. Dark looked ashy on me, Deep Dark was too damn orange. I can't complain about blot powder, because it's so sheer it really doesn't matter, but Benefit is a brand I've had problems with. I wanted to use their Playsticks because I hear they'd be really great for my skintype and would help keep blemishes under control. Well, their two darkest shades are too light for me AND my lovely light skinned mother, (i'm nw45, she's nc45-50). And their get even powder, light, medium, dark. None of these work for normal skintones. Unless you're one of the lucky THREE women who have light, medium or dark skintone by this definition, it's not going to work for you.
Lancome doesn't match me. I thought it did, until I took a flash photograph of myself wearing it. Hello my name is Floaty Face. It completely altered the color of my face in comparison to my neck, i looked gross.
IMAN's line is good for skin of color, but I hear it doesn't wear very well. My sister in law lives in Georgia and she said it looks disgusting when you put it on. It looks really heavy and caked. However, she lives in a hot and muggy climate, which could be a factor. Another however, it's not available everywhere. I've never seen in in my area, and when I looked it up the nearest retailer was in NorCal...i'm not going to NorCal for foundation. But yeah, Becca has TONS of shades and prescriptives doesn't personalized colormatching, but it's very expensive. Bobbi Brown has been rated really high among medium and dark skintones, but IMO their range is limited as well and I can't stand their pushy "natural" philosophy of makeup.

I can't say that I've been particularly left out of most brands, but I've experienced off colors and bad formulas for my skintype. Hopefully Perfectly Real Makeup by Clinique will work for me. Don't give up ladies! Someone's bound to wise up. Hell, my career goal is to be CEO of my own Cosmetics Line SPECIFICALLY for Women Of Color. i know it's been claimed to have been done before, but I'm out to be the revolution because spending a month looking for a new foundation is bullshtuff.

So are y'all saying that Sephora can't be trusted to have the full Becca line?

AppleDiva

Quote:

I do not know if price is really a deterrent. I think people buy what they want to buy. In the past, I have used Elizabeth Arden's Flawless Finish Bare Perfection Makeup SPF 8 in Warm Mahogany. It wasn't too bad, but it had a killer (not good) shine.
rofl.gif

xedenx

There is a line at my local drugstore called Nacara it's specifically for women of color i actually have a funny story to go with this:

I went to the store and this little lady came over too me and started telling me all about the line and then ends with "Hey, you could go home and tell your mom all about it too, want me too book her a free make over as well?" and I looked at her and said "Awe thats really sweet but...my mom is white!" she looked at me scared but i was just laughing.

aziajs

Quote:

There is so much to disagree with here but I'll just say this, do you really believe:

"the majority of black women just aren't into makeup, how many plain faces do you see on a daily basis? Granted, at $41/bottle not too many black women want to spend that kind of money on foundation..."

Really?

aziza

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziajs
There is so much to disagree with here but I'll just say this, do you really believe:

"the majority of black women just aren't into makeup, how many plain faces do you see on a daily basis? Granted, at $41/bottle not too many black women want to spend that kind of money on foundation..."

Really?

I have to agree that this is such a gross generalization. I don't think I even need to go there.
th_rolleye0014.gif

Odette

The majority of black women have tried time and again to find a foundation that matches their skin tone at all price points and have been disappointed. This applies to e/s too. Many a time I have bought an e/s only to have it look ashy on me because there is not enough pigment in it. This is changing though.

Shimmer

The majority of pale women have spent a lot of money on trying to find a foundation that matches the paleness of their skin, combats ruddiness or splotchy coloring, and doesn't make them too pink or too orange.
It's not uncommon, as a pale woman, to buy eyeshadow or blush and either have it be exceedingly garish on the pale skin, or have it wash out completely due to the fact that a light hand is necessary to avoid looking like a clown.
I hope the options open up in the future for both ends of the specktrum.

bocagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
The majority of pale women have spent a lot of money on trying to find a foundation that matches the paleness of their skin, combats ruddiness or splotchy coloring, and doesn't make them too pink or too orange.
It's not uncommon, as a pale woman, to buy eyeshadow or blush and either have it be exceedingly garish on the pale skin, or have it wash out completely due to the fact that a light hand is necessary to avoid looking like a clown.
I hope the options open up in the future for both ends of the specktrum.

Very true. My friend is pale as she would say and I'm black and we both had problems finding foundations until recently. I think that we need to realise though that colour comes in so many forms that there is no way that we will find one foundation to fit everyone, this is truly the point that most people are missing. Also while there are many people on both ends of the spectrum who will shell out the money to purchase foundations costing $60 a bottle, it doesn't mean that other people who use that shade will. Therefore it's not feasible for the company to make it.

I don't think we should expect that because we can't find a foundation match means that the industry is not catering to us. Maybe you should consider mixing two foundations together to get your colour. If you have had a beauty makeover the makeup artist might have done this. Also walking into a store and having someone help you correctly depends on a lot of things. A black or other makeup artist may start recommending browns to every black customer because in her experience it may be what most people ask for. Why is it so hard to ask to try some colour? Actually the only time I see a black woman with colour on her face is if she's on here or some other makeup board. I've never seen one where I live.

The problems of finding a good foundation match affects every race not only black women. Sometimes the fault lies with the "expert" at the makeup counter than the product itself because they are not able to match colour properly. Anway, I've rambled much too long.

ETA: I did see black women wearing makeup when I visited San Diego but as I said I've never seen one where I live. I've never really had artists showing me browns when I go to the counter, but it may be because I may have on purple or greens or some other colour that lets them know I may be willing to try others, but that's just my experience.