Working for Sephora

dayslikesailors

how extensive are background checks on applicants?
ALSO,
***do you have a chance of being hired if you have "theft" on your record?***
thanks!

lovesong

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayslikesailors
how extensive are background checks on applicants?
ALSO,
***do you have a chance of being hired if you have "theft" on your record?***
thanks!

They do do background checks.When you apply, I believe they ask you have a criminal history, but if they have not, you might want to tell them that you ran in to trouble.If it is "theft" you going to have to explain that.If you do have theft under your record and they do hire you I think you have to sign something and if you do something wrong they can fire you at any time (I believe this is correct).

JUST BE HONEST.Honesty does not hurt because they can look any information on you.They look for honesty because if you do not tell them, they feel like your hiding something and deem you as untrustworthy.

dayslikesailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesong
They do do background checks.When you apply, I believe they ask you have a criminal history, but if they have not, you might want to tell them that you ran in to trouble.If it is "theft" you going to have to explain that.If you do have theft under your record and they do hire you I think you have to sign something and if you do something wrong they can fire you at any time (I believe this is correct).

JUST BE HONEST.Honesty does not hurt because they can look any information on you.They look for honesty because if you do not tell them, they feel like your hiding something and deem you as untrustworthy.

thank you so much for your reply. it's actually "shoplifting" on my record, if that makes any difference. but thanks! xoxo.

jsky83

I've been working at Sephora for 3 years and to be totally honest with you I don't see them hiring anyone with shoplifting on their record. Just be totally honest though and if it was a misunderstanding maybe they will give you a chance.

SallyPal

To jsky83, what has been your experience working at Sephora for 3 years? It must be good since you've been there awhile
smiles.gif
)))

Boasorte

DO you have o be a makeup artist to work there> ? Sounds stupid but the Sephora I usually go to some girls say they dont do makeup, just ring up things and do the occasional swatch

mae13

Nope. You don't need to be a makeup artist, especially if you work the cashes or in the back with the stock. Everyone gets basic training though, which includes hygiene protocols, product knowledge and some basic application, so that they can help customers.

dominicana90

Am I allowed to work for sephora if I already work for MAC? I'm only a freelancer and I'm not getting enough hours. I would like to stick to makeup but yeah I haven't gotten called in a while and I'm a poor college student lol

LatteQueen

I was racially profiled at my Sephora and it was just horrible..just horrible..I won't shop at that one for awhile..I'll go to King of Prussia to do my shopping there..the black guys in there wear their makeup FIERCE'...

Boasorte

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatteQueen
I was racially profiled at my Sephora and it was just horrible..just horrible..I won't shop at that one for awhile..I'll go to King of Prussia to do my shopping there..the black guys in there wear their makeup FIERCE'...

what happened?

charnels

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicana90
Am I allowed to work for sephora if I already work for MAC? I'm only a freelancer and I'm not getting enough hours. I would like to stick to makeup but yeah I haven't gotten called in a while and I'm a poor college student lol

nope, you can't work for competitors. i was going to apply as a freelancer at mac but got the job at sephora instead.

charnels

i work for sephora and i have to say i am surprised by some of the comments in here.

i will admit that there are both pro's and con's to working there. if you are someone who enjoys makeup as a hobby, is good at applying it, and is willing to learn A LOT about makeup, then it is a good job to have. however, the first thing i learned when i started working there is that you are expected to be a sales person, not a makeup artist.

infact, out of all of my coworkers, i am the only one who actually wants to pursue a career in makeup artistry. everyone else is going to school for various things that have nothing to do with the beauty industry, or they have families so they just work there as something to do to buy groceries. so if you are interested in the artistic realm of makeup, and you actually want to make a career out of it, it can be frustrating to work there.

the great thing is that you get TONS of knowledge and experience. you literally get trained atleast once a week, usually more. you have access to some amazing brands. you get more gratis (free stuff) than you will know what to do with. and for what the job entails, you get paid well.

sephora used to be very strict and by-the-books, but like any job, it all depends on management. we very recently updated our dress code so that we now allow tattoos, facial piercings, and unnatural hair colors, so it's pretty laid back now.

all in all, it's definitely my favorite job so far and it is a lot easier to get a job there than at mac / estee lauder. it's a great job to use as a stepping stone because you gain a lot of experience and knowledge in the beauty industry.

EDIT: oh! i forgot to add that the company is very geographically-influenced. i moved from a store in massachusetts to a store in tampa, fl. and it's like two different worlds. and i know in the new york city stores it is VERY hard to get a job there if you're not a skilled makeup artist. even the beauty school students can barely get hired as seasonal cashiers there.

charnels

Re: Does sephora drug test

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitasati
Marijuana stays in ur blood stream for about 3 months and in hair for upto 6 months and no there is nothing over the counter to "clean out your system". Probably if you've smoked recently, they will find out. Also I've heard sephora and some other cosmetic companies do random drug testing on current employees.

i have never been drug tested at sephora. even when i first applied.

dahlingdiva

Anyone know what kind of health insurance benefits they have. HMO or PPO?
How much is it and do you think it's good? Also, do they hire makeup artists or is it just salespeople?

luvluv

Second Sephora Interview!

hey guys, im really new to this website so bare with me....but i had a group interview with sephora last week and got called back for my second interview..which is tomorrow!! i just wanted to know if anyone has gone through this experience?? anyone recently have an interview with sephora? or work at sephora? worked for sephora? ..i wanna know if you could help me as to what kind of questions were asked in the second interview? and did they check ur references? ..im confused..cuz the group interview was pretty detailed so im LOST as to what to expect in the second interview. HELP!.

thx.in.advance <3!

luvluv

Re: Second Sephora Interview!

someone? anyone?...i know there are other threads about this..but i just thot id b able to get some updated info!. thxxx again

Boasorte

read the other threads on this, do a search, most information hasn't changed

luvluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWestchesterNY
read the other threads on this, do a search, most information hasn't changed

hii..i know ive read the other ones...but i just wanted some UP TO DATE information...like mayb rele recent...and i havent found any detail on the second interviews..but thxxx anyway tho! ..second interview went welll btw : p...shes gona let me know by saturday

luvluv

New Job @ Sephora

So i landed a job at sephora : ). yay! lol..im SOOOO excited. any tips and pointers from current sephora employees or former sephora employees on how to really shine in the first 3 months?!?!

tia <3