Working for Sephora

Cali1luv

i guess not
th_dunno.gif

nychick1384

I had a question for all the people who either have gone thru the interview process or actually got hired..

I applied to Sephora. I called to check on the status of my app.
I gave her my name, then she said she was waiting for my refs to get back to them (Sephora) then she would call me for an interview?
huh2.gif

That makes no sense to me..

Can some1 please shed some light on this?

IDK if I should call back again and ask my status?
shrugs.gif
Sometimes potential employers will call your references before scheduling an interview. They may just want to see what your references are from previous employers before they schedule an interview with you. Different managers go through the interview process in a different order, it's not the same everywhere. I would give the store about a week before you follow up again. Give the manager time to hear back from your previous employers.

mae13

If your a freelancer for M.A.C., can you work for Sephora?
Nope. Sephora has pretty explicit policies about not working for any other cosmetics company while you work for them. That even includes things like doing events for a brand (for example, Nars) at another store.

That said, I know a few girls who took their chances and did this anyway. As long as they don't get caught, I guess the risk of being fired is worth it for them.

artsykelly

I have an interview with Sephora and am not sure what their policy is on tattoos, unnatural hair colors, or piercings. I have a very extensive resume in cosmetic sales, but am currently a full-time student working towards finishing an art degree. I also know several of their employees already (former co-workers from other cosmetics jobs) and am sure I got a fast reply to my applications because of that. I currently have pink streaks in my dark hair and want to know if I need to dye them a natural color for my interview on Monday. Thanks in advance!

Nicala

I wouldnt consider dying it unless you get the job and they specifically tell you to. I know VintageOrTacky from YT worked at sephora and she has hot pink/black hair.

MACaddict21

@nychick1384 Hey hun. I was wondering if you still work at Sephora and what info you might be able to share. I've been asking on other forums & have gotten nothing so far. I've been reading that if you work p/t or at the cash wrap that you don't get the discount and/or gratis? Could you clear that up for me? I'll be bummed if that's the case but I also plan on working my way to color eventually so I'm not too worried about, just curious. My training doesn't start for a few weeks and I have so many questions :-/ Any tips or insight you can offer would be greatly appreciated! Oh also how do they do shifts? Is it typically like 4 or 5 hour shifts or do they do full on 8 hr shifts? :eek:) Thanks so much!

mae13

You get the discount regardless of where you work, but gratis is sometimes dependent on whether you participate in trainings - which as a cashier you might have less opportunity for. (There are some companies that will give gratis to the entire cast, usually as a seasonal thing, while others will only do so if you do the training.)

nychick1384

You get the discount regardless of where you work, but gratis is sometimes dependent on whether you participate in trainings - which as a cashier you might have less opportunity for. (There are some companies that will give gratis to the entire cast, usually as a seasonal thing, while others will only do so if you do the training.)

This is absolutely true. Also there are often small contests for gratis on the weekend based on sales or encouraging sales of new products. It's a really fun environment! Part time shifts are usually four hours long with a three hour on-call shift (depending on when you are scheduled to work), they may also schedule full 8 hour shifts depending on the availability of hours and things like that. I was hired on as a temporary holiday cashier and they decided to keep me on permanently. I've been there just over six months and I hope to be able to move into color by the end of summer. Just make sure your store leadership is aware that you want to move into color in the future and use your extra time when the store isn't busy to learn about the different brands and products so they know you want to expand your knowledge base. If there's anything else you want to know, just ask.

MACaddict21

Thank you! My interview was pretty much all about wanting to learn more about color and wanting to move there so she definitely knows my goals and intentions. Have you had much access to trainings as a cashier? Of course I'm interested in gratis but I'm hoping to make this a long term thing so training is definitely important to me. I'm assuming you have to come in on your off time for trainings? How does that work. Oh & can you say how much our discount is? There's a couple sales this weekend but if my discount is more I'm going to wait lol.

Again, thank you SO much for answering my questions! I can't wait for our training to start! :eek:)

This is absolutely true. Also there are often small contests for gratis on the weekend based on sales or encouraging sales of new products. It's a really fun environment! Part time shifts are usually four hours long with a three hour on-call shift (depending on when you are scheduled to work), they may also schedule full 8 hour shifts depending on the availability of hours and things like that. I was hired on as a temporary holiday cashier and they decided to keep me on permanently. I've been there just over six months and I hope to be able to move into color by the end of summer. Just make sure your store leadership is aware that you want to move into color in the future and use your extra time when the store isn't busy to learn about the different brands and products so they know you want to expand your knowledge base. If there's anything else you want to know, just ask.

MACaddict21

Thanks for the reply hun, I appreciate it! Do you have any other tips/info you can think of to share? I posted more questions in my reply to nychick1384 - would love your response to! Thanks again :)

nychick1384

Access to training doesn't seem to depend so much on if you are in color or a cashier. It seems to depend more on when you work. I work mostly in the evenings and on weekends so I haven't had much access to additional brand training because most of the brand reps do their visits during the week in the day time. But if you talk with your store leadership they may be able to get extra info handouts from the reps when they visit so at least you can have access to the material even if you can't attend training. I've never had to come in on days off for training, but you may be able to request to be scheduled during rep visits so you can have the training. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say specifically what our discount is, but I can tell you that it seems to be about the same percentage that the different brands offer for their friends and family events.

Again, I'm totally willing to answer any other questions you come up with. Just let me know.
bouquet.gif

MACaddict21

Do you have to sign up for the training sessions? I expressed in my interview that I much prefer day shifts but this is retail so I know it's more about what the store needs. If you're there for your shift don't they need you working your area or they just let you go to the training and schedule around it?

Thank you so much for your help. I really do appreciate it and I fully understand about the discount. I certainly don't want you to share anything you aren't suppose to. :eek:)

mae13

At our store they had the trainings scheduled out on a big calendar, so you could see who was coming when. I don't think you can ask to be scheduled for a specific training, since hours are allocated according to scheduling needs. Usually they try to get everyone who is there that day into a training session, regardless of their position. For big trainings, like for when a new brand is introduced, they usually try to schedule pretty much everyone in.

Not sure if this is just something that my manager allowed, but I would sometimes come in on my days off and do training on my own time (unpaid). But I was a lead, and really wanted to be up on everything, not sure if they would allow that generally.

And ya, the discount is in the FnF range, and more for Sephora brand.

nychick1384

Do you have to sign up for the training sessions? I expressed in my interview that I much prefer day shifts but this is retail so I know it's more about what the store needs. If you're there for your shift don't they need you working your area or they just let you go to the training and schedule around it?

Thank you so much for your help. I really do appreciate it and I fully understand about the discount. I certainly don't want you to share anything you aren't suppose to. :eek:)
Usually when it's a new store brand launch, they may try and do training for everyone in the store, depending on when they are scheduled to work. There usually aren't large store-wide training sessions scheduled.

mae13

Usually when it's a new store brand launch, they may try and do training for everyone in the store, depending on when they are scheduled to work. There usually aren't large store-wide training sessions scheduled.
Ya, we did have them for when Cargo launched their full Plantlove line, and when we had a couple of new brands introduced, like Josie Maran, but they definitely weren't common.

MACaddict21

Thanks again for the replies ladies. We have store wide training for 3 weeks before the store opens. I'm not sure how the hours will be or anything but as far as I know it will be everyone. I have one (hopefully last) question for you guys. Do you know how often Sephora employees get paid (ie. weekly, bi-weekly or the 1st & 15th?)

Again, thank you so much for all your help and answers. You've really helped my little impatient mind get some quick answers and I so appreciate it! Can't wait to tell you how my training goes! :eek:)