Wow, Obama takes New Hampshire!

athena123

Ever since Hilary Clinton announced her candidacy, it's just been assumed that she would win the democratic nomination. It's nice to see she's being knocked off her throne and can't take the women's and black voters for granted. Although I'd love to see a woman president, I would never vote for Hilary. I WOULD vote for Condaleeza Rice. Although he's very charismatic, I won't vote for Obama either; too liberal for my tastes and I find some of the things the leader of the church he and Oprah belong to rather frightening.

Either way, I hope he gets the nomination!

Juneplum

sweet!
clapping.gif

liv

Technically, he's only won the first two towns that cast the first ballots. It's not over yet. =]

newagetomatoz

Out of all the candidates, I am most in favor of Obama. None of the candidates completely align with my views, but he comes the closest. The only thing that upsets me about this years Democratic nomination process is that we have a black man and a white woman running, at the same time. I wish they would have chosen to run in different elections because it is forcing America to decide right now if it wants a black man, woman president, or conservative christian male. Which value is more important, racial or gender equality? Because I'm sure that fact is weighing on the minds of some voters who are still undecided.
sigh.gif
I'm just glad I'll be eighteen by November so I can vote!
th_DANCE.gif

SquirrelQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena123
Ever since Hilary Clinton announced her candidacy, it's just been assumed that she would win the democratic nomination. It's nice to see she's being knocked off her throne and can't take the women's and black voters for granted. Although I'd love to see a woman president, I would never vote for Hilary. I WOULD vote for Condaleeza Rice. Although he's very charismatic, I won't vote for Obama either; too liberal for my tastes and I find some of the things the leader of the church he and Oprah belong to rather frightening.

Either way, I hope he gets the nomination!

Guess this statement was a bit premature. Hillary was just declared the winner in New Hampshire. Frankly, while Obama has good ideas, I think the problems our country faces need to be addressed by someone who has a bit more experience. Hillary has unique experience that no candidate has ever had before---she's been First Lady, an activist and a policymaker in her own right. And she's done an amazing job as a senator in New York. Obama will be a great president someday but but he needs to mature as a statesman---he can run after Hillary finishes her two terms as President.

BTW, what exactly is so "frightening" about Obama's church? He and Oprah belong to the United Church of Christ, a mainstream liberal Christian denomination. The UCC believes in social justice for all persons regardless of race, age, gender, sexual preference, socioeconomic status or ability. What's so radical or "frightening" about that?

gigglegirl

I just googled Obama + religion b/c I hadn't heard about this yet (United, Lutheran, Catholic and just Evangelical Mennonite churches were the ones I was surrounded by in my town).
From Fox News“Statements that suggest you cannot truly understand God unless you are black or poor are exclusive.”"

About 6-7 paragraphs down.

I am not black but the snippets quoted do not seem crazy to me. I think the pastor was being motivating to his congregation. I don't know, but some of the churches I've sat in have been FAR more out there. I remember the time going to a friend's baptism--us group of girls (this was back in high school about 7 years ago) sat on the "wrong" side of the church (men on one side apparently, women on the other) and the leaders of the church sat high like judges facing the congregation...many other interesting things but I digress, it was an experience to say the least.

Personally if it could be possible, I'd love for there to be the separation of church and state like there should be. But I find this being hard to implement in all practicality--your values about where you stand on hot topics like abortion are largely guided by faith--so that's what would influence you in the back of your mind when posed that question. Ultimately you are to represent your constituents but I wonder how you "know" what they want. High chances its not unanimous. Ugh this just reminds me how much I could never be a politician.

MxAxC-_ATTACK

I honestly, would be frightened if Hilary became President.
I'm a Conservative but I am registered as a Democrat (I registered in high school when I followed whatever anyone told me ) So I have to vote Democrat in the Primary's, I will be Voting for Obama , for the soul purpose of not wanting Hilary to win.

gigglegirl

can someone explain this to me? Though I am not far from the US, I don't understand some things. If you register as a republican, democrat or independent thats how you have to vote? Does that carry over into the final actual presidential election?

Here in Canada, I vote for the person who has a better track record and who says things that would be best for me--regardless of party. Here we don't vote for the Prime Minister and then for the candidate in our area (is that how the US does it? I thought I remembered hearing that somewhere). We just vote for the person/party in our area, and the number of seats won translates into which party and which leader of said party actually leads.

kimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxAxC-_ATTACK
I honestly, would be frightened if Hilary became President.

same here. and would probably have to flee the country out of either fear or sheer embarassment, haha. seriously though...

i'm kind of upset at how badly ron paul did. he seems like such a nice fellow, and such fabulous ideals, in my opinion. ron paul ftw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigglegirl
can someone explain this to me? Though I am not far from the US, I don't understand some things. If you register as a republican, democrat or independent thats how you have to vote? Does that carry over into the final actual presidential election?

no, but in the primaries you have to vote within your own party. when it comes time for the actual election, you can vote however you choose.
winks.gif

AppleDiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmy
same here. and would probably have to flee the country out of either fear or sheer embarassment, haha. seriously though...

i'm kind of upset at how badly ron paul did. he seems like such a nice fellow, and such fabulous ideals, in my opinion. ron paul ftw.

no, but in the primaries you have to vote within your own party. when it comes time for the actual election, you can vote however you choose.
winks.gif

Actually, it depends on what state you are in. Some states have open primaries where anyone who is registered to vote can vote, but some states have rules where only registered voters of a particular party can vote. For example, in 2004, only Democratic (registered) voters could vote in the primaries in certain states, since the Republican candidate was the incumbent.

I used to live in Massachusetts and when registering to vote, you have to register as Democrat, Republican or Independent. In Michigan, where I live now, you do not have to do that. So voters must be responsible to learn the election rules for their states (which tend to be archine!)

Dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelQueen
And she's done an amazing job as a senator in New York.

As someone who lives in New York, I beg to differ. She hardly represents the people of NY- those of us who aren't within her economic class. She ran on a platform of knowing whats best for NY, but told upstate and downstate voters two completely different strategies for doing so and hence has divided the state even further within our own legislature-which is quite the feat since our senator has nothing to do with our legislature!- something that had been happening for quite a while, but got decidedly worse with her second term and her false promises.

Right after 9/11 when the scandal with Whitman declaring the air clean around the WTC when it was toxic and the subsequent lawsuits against the city, state and feds (iirc on that one) for them refusing to compensate those who ended up needing extensive medical care, she vowed to make sure they received the help they needed. They're STILL waiting on the goods from that promise, and it's been over five years.

Within her work with the Senate itself, she voted to re-authorize the Patriot Act and has been less than consistent in her voting record. Her proposed economic policy leaves too many open questions, and is seemingly even more irresponsible than the one we currently follow. Her plan for health care lacks the funding necessary, something that added to its failure in 1996. You can even hear in her speeches that she's polarizing- it's always "and we can beat the Republicans!" or "the Republicans are scared now!" Erm- that's not how you get things done, and she's the only Congressman from any party that I've ever seen blame bad policy that she voted for on the opposite party.

I could go on and on with this, but I think you get the idea. Clinton wasn't elected because she was the best person for the job, she was elected because we had a choice of Clintion or John Spencer, a guy who used to be mayor of one of the worst run cities in my county, not to mention he was from downstate which didn't help him at all in the upstate counties. She won by default, not because she's good at what she does.

I do agree with you that Obama needs more experience, however, before anyone can accurately judge his potential for President. Give him another few years in the Senate and then we'll be able to have a solid foundation with him.

Quote:
Personally if it could be possible, I'd love for there to be the separation of church and state like there should be. But I find this being hard to implement in all practicality--your values about where you stand on hot topics like abortion are largely guided by faith--so that's what would influence you in the back of your mind when posed that question.

Separation of Church and State doesn't mean that your religion has no bearing on how one acts within Congress or as POTUS, etc., it's simply there so there is no official church akin to the Church of England. A religious figure will never make laws in the US, but that doesn't mean religion doesn't influence our laws. We were built on a solid Christian foundation- you're never going to erase that, and if it is erased, we won't be the US anymore. You're allowed to worship as you please, where you please, as long as someone else's rights aren't violated (ie: no sacrificing your neighbor's kids).

I'm just wondering: why does everyone find abortion to be such a debate for a Presidential candidate? It's not like the President can just decide to overturn Roe v. Wade or CASEY by himself; that's a matter for the Supreme Court to decide, and even in the unlikely event that it is reopened and overturned, it would go back to being a state's right to decide whether or not they want to allow abortion. Same with gun ownership (requires a constitutional amendment), and many other controversial topics.

I'm just wondering why people aren't more concerned about the things that really affect you- fiscal policy, our monetary system, the erosion of our civil liberties, etc.? Abortion is not high on the list of rights at risk- your Constitutional right to be left alone is.

In any way, I'm disappointed in my party (Republicans) and even the Democrats. With the exception of one "long shot" candidate, there's no one in either party that I can find myself agreeing with even 50%. They remind me of that Simpsons Halloween episode where Kodos and Kang ran for President- no matter who ends up POTUS, I don't see anything changing all that drastically.
ssad.gif

user79

Quote:
Here we don't vote for the Prime Minister and then for the candidate in our area (is that how the US does it? I thought I remembered hearing that somewhere). We just vote for the person/party in our area, and the number of seats won translates into which party and which leader of said party actually leads.

Which is actually misleading, because it goes by ridings. So number of votes in Canada don't always turn into actual representation, it can mean that a party with lesser votes can win an election because a riding has more seats. It's ridiculous.

athena123

Well, I was wrong! Looks like Hillary won after all but Obama sure did shake up her sense of inevitability didn't he? Good for him!

I just hope she doesn't win. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a woman president, but I'm not gonna vote for Hilary just BECAUSE she's a woman; I want the best person for the job, someone who has a clear vision and Hilary doesn't have it. It's too bad, really. She has the intelligence, some of the experience and has proven herself able to get things done in the Senate, but she tends to blow with the wind and rule by poll numbers.

As much as you may disagree with our current President Bush [and I disagree with him on many, many, many things] at least Bush has conviction and integrity, something Hilary Clinton can't claim to have. A few years ago, I read the book "All Too Human" by George Stephanaupolis [spelling] - very insightful look inside the Clinton administration with a lot of inside knowledge. After reading that, I really wouldn't want her to lead I just don't think she has what it takes.

As far as the Trinity United Church of Christ goes [Obama and Oprah are members], the obvious racist attitudes are what frighten me. The tenets of that church border on very cult-like exclusiveness; the pastor disavows American middleclassness as not being "black valued". Huh? It's my understanding that values, ethics and morality apply to all, regardless of race, gender, religion or creed. Can you imagine the outcry if a pastor of any other church spoke out for "white values"? The outrage would be enormous, but strangely enough there was no outcry toward a pastor who thinks of his flock as "Soldiers for Black Freedom" and the "Black Value System". If this is supposed to be a rant against materialism, why not say so and why use such divisive terms?

Now what about Condaleeza Rice? Can you imagine if she ran for president in 2012 and won, she'd be the first black woman president that would be cool! If she ever does run, I'll work on her campaign because I believe in her.

gigglegirl

That is true MissChievous--you were better able to explain what I wanted >< I wish there was a separate line to vote for who you want to lead the country.

And to Dizzy--I just pulled out abortion b/c thats what I've heard/read snippets about, how one candidate flip-flops and how one thinks its alright to change your position while many others stick to their original opinion. You're right, the things that affect you are what you should be looking for in a candidate who says what you want to have happen. But I have to agree, how drastic would the changes be? Here goes the skepticism but it seems most (if not all) politicians say one thing, get voted into office, then are "working" but nothing major seems to change. Thats why politics frustrates me. Everyone says vote so you have a voice, but that voice never seems to go anywhere, seems to stay pretty stagnant.

Dizzy

Quote:
Here goes the skepticism but it seems most (if not all) politicians say one thing, get voted into office, then are "working" but nothing major seems to change. Thats why politics frustrates me. Everyone says vote so you have a voice, but that voice never seems to go anywhere, seems to stay pretty stagnant.

That's why I don't believe a damn thing a politician says. I'm an intern in my Congressman's office, and have had internships with my town board and the state legislature; even as an intern I've learned that what they say and do are often two different things.

My vote has never been based off a party's or person's platform, but rather on their actions and voting records. They can say whatever they want to CNN, but their voting records say more than they ever could.

*Stargazer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyqt
im not American & i'd like to know, why doesnt anyone want Hillary to win?
th_dunno.gif

Personally, I refuse to tell my daughters that I support the idea that you should let a man walk all over you just to get into a position where you can have some form of power. I believe serial infidelity to be a form of emotional abuse and I won't vote for someone who condones it.

Seems like everyone these days is bleah. I have a couple of really hot button issues and unfortunately, they don't tend to find themselves in one candidate. I do kinda dig Bill Richardson, if only for his foreign service experience.

I'm on the Ralph Wiggum '08 bandwagon.

Dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stargazer*
I'm on the Ralph Wiggum '08 bandwagon.

th_LMAO.gif
Best choice possible.

And I agree with everything else you said, you're 100% right.

susannef

As far as Ive understood, Obama is more liberal the Clinton? I dont understand why you conservative gals would rather vote for Obama then?