168 for Studio Sculpt?

xbuttonsx

When I was at the MAC counter today, I was asking the MA about a good brush to use for foundation. I haven't used a brush to apply foundation (only sponges) and told her I already have the 187 and wanted to know what she recommended. I use studio sculpt and she uses the 168 and showed me the best was to apply it using the 168. Has anyone else used this brush for liquid foundation, or do you recommend something better?

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbuttonsx
When I was at the MAC counter today, I was asking the MA about a good brush to use for foundation. I haven't used a brush to apply foundation (only sponges) and told her I already have the 187 and wanted to know what she recommended. I use studio sculpt and she uses the 168 and showed me the best was to apply it using the 168. Has anyone else used this brush for liquid foundation, or do you recommend something better?

i most definately do not recommend the 168 for liquid foundation, especially for the SS foundation. i like the 188 for more of a medium coverage, or if you want fuller coverage, use the 191 or the new 130.

iheartangE

I've been using the 109 with my SS and I love it. Circular motions, you know the drill. I started with the 188 but the MA at my local MAC counter suggested the 109 and I've never looked back-it's amazing!! I also mix in a drop or two of the Care Blends Essential Oil
smiles.gif

LC

i always use a 168 for liquid foundation. seriously it's perfect. it buffs it out beautifully. think about it, with a 190 or even 187/188, you still have to buff it out with another rounder brush anyway, so why not knock out both steps with just one brush.

Rioselva

I find the 168 a bit too floppy for anything but really pigmented blush, actually. Maybe I got a bad one.

AdlersMommy22

uhmmmm i may be in the complete minority here but with my liquid foundations i ALWAYS use my 181. I use it to buff out the foundation starting in the middle of my face. I dont know who taught me that --- i think i may have just done it randomly myself one day --- ... but i will NEVER use another brush. I wear Studio Sculpt religiously (have since the day it came out!) and I cant remember not using the 181 for it!

My roommate always makes fun of me (i got her hooked on the SS too but she just uses her fingers) but after seeing how well it goes on with that brush she's lemming for one as well. I dont let her use mine -- im a nice girl --- but not nice enough to lend out my MAC brushes to ANYONE <3 haha

LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdlersMommy22
uhmmmm i may be in the complete minority here but with my liquid foundations i ALWAYS use my 181.

That's a great brush too for liquids
smiles.gif
just a tad bit harder to clean because of how dense it is, but i know it gives a beautiful finish

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC
i always use a 168 for liquid foundation. seriously it's perfect. it buffs it out beautifully. think about it, with a 190 or even 187/188, you still have to buff it out with another rounder brush anyway, so why not knock out both steps with just one brush.

ok, i'm a bit confused.
th_confused_new.gif
when i use the 191, i've never had to go back and buff it out. because of the shape it does apply a fuller coverage, but i've never had issues with having to go back and buff any foundation out. i must be doing something different than you.
th_dunno.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rioselva
I find the 168 a bit too floppy for anything but really pigmented blush, actually. Maybe I got a bad one.

i agree. i use it for cream or powder blush.

LC

my only "floppy" 168 is my 168se from the a holiday set. both of my normal 168's are just as dense as my 109.

erine i just find rounder "powder" brushes to be a lot easier and give a more beautiful application. Sometimes if my 190 isn't clean, or if i apply it too quickly, i need to buff it out. sometimes i'm not in the mood to take my times with it haha... I actually used to only use a 190 and 191, but after i started working at mac, all my coworkers suggested the 109 and 168. there are different preferences among each store
smiles.gif
I still do use the 190 or 191 from time to time, i'm not a 1 brush only girl, ill use a 190, 191, 109, 168..
smiles.gif

Latest posts