190, 194, 275, 266 - Real or fake?

inconspicuous

I just received these four brushes in the mail from ebay. They were advertised as "brand new in sleeve" and when I first opened the package alarm bells started ringin - the clear plastic sleeve was just that, a clear plastic sleeve with NOTHING on it. I know real MAC brushes should have the barcode on the bottom of the sleeve, either printed on or a sticker. So, I gave the brushes a closer inspection.

First of all, I'm not sure if you can tell from the below images, but the lettering is a little off when compared to the real MAC brushes I bought from the counter in Meadowhall. The spaces between the lines of the lettering seems much wider than on my other brushes - like where the midpoints of the M meet, and where the line across the A comes to the left "leg". Also the dots between the letters are teeny tiny, wheras on my other brushes they're much bolder.

Also the indentations on the ferrule are very flat, but all my definite-for-real MAC brushes have quite deep indentations.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure these are fake but before I start a dispute and report the user to ebay (they were sold to me by a user called
cosmetik-heaven2009), I'd like you guys to have a look and give me a second (third, fourth, etc) opinion?

Thanks for your help!

All the pics are uploaded to: Miscellany pictures by inconspicuous-beauty - Photobucket I decided to link instead of direct post cuz the images are pretty big for detail (and because I keep forgetting to change the cam settings on my mobile phone)

But here's an example of what I mean, on the 190 brush:

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/v...y/DSC00654.jpg

glitterkitten

Counterfeit. You can tell by (what looks like to me as) glue under the base of the ferrule, as well as the off-type lettering.
Sorry. This is why I HATE Ebay.

thmbdn.gif

inconspicuous

Sigh, I am seriously never buying makeup off ebay again. I thought they were counterfeit but like I said, I wanted another opinion to be sure, so thank you so much =]

I got a couple of pigments from her as well... and if they are fake they're damn good ones, the bases have all of the number codes and things intact. But then again, they're all dated from 2003 batches so I think I'm going to send them back anyway. Who keeps brand-new-in-box pigments from 03 to sell six years later...? I think maybe she's reused the packaging from real pigments to resell fakes. Or if not this seller, their supplier.

Anyway, I'm rambling (this happens a lot). Thanks again! x

caffn8me

If you ever see this particular combination of brushes being sold together it's 99% certain to be fake. The other "half" of the set of eight these usually come in can be found in a separate listing.

Raise a dispute with eBay and PayPal and good luck!

panda0410

I'd agree with everyone saying that some of these are fake... but I'd like to know what makes anyone think the 275 is a fake?

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
I'd agree with everyone saying that some of these are fake... but I'd like to know what makes anyone think the 275 is a fake?

Look at this picture of a genuine 275 (from Nordstrom)

_5383875.jpg

and look at the crimping on the ferrule next to the handle. Compare it to the crimping on the brush shown by the OP;

Completely different position of the handle crimp and a completely different type and shape of die used to achieve it.

You also have the provenance - the seller is selling two halves of the usual fake set of eight brushes. The chance of one brush being genuine when the others are fake is quite small.

panda0410

The only time I have noticed crimps like is on the french brushes of which I own several - I dont personally own a 275 though - is it a French made brush??

caffn8me

Quote:
The only time I have noticed crimps like is on the french brushes of which I own several - I dont personally own a 275 though - is it a French made brush??

That, I couldn't tell you. Hopefully, someone with a genuine 275 will be able to answer that.

User38

ssad.gif
sorry you were misled. These look fake to me too. But, try to fight it out via Paypal...please, for anyone buying anything off EBAY .. do not leave feedback until you have really received and checked your merchandise. If anything is wrong, report it and start a dispute with Paypal.. good luck!
smiles.gif

inconspicuous

The items have been reported to Ebay and I've opened a dispute with Paypal and requested a refund. Will let you know how it goes!

inconspicuous

Thanks!

Good news: Just got an email back from her apologising and saying that she'll check everything very carefully once she gets it back. She said she hadn't checked the brushes for authenticity - but claims that she had the pigments checked (but according to everything I've seen about fake pigments, these fit the bill perfectly, aside from the jar itself which looks authentic but was probably re-used).

Anyway, when I opened the Paypal dispute I requested a full refund, which she's granted me straight away and once again said she'll check things over when she receives them back, and says she won't be selling anymore MAC on ebay. Let's hope.

Edit to add: And hey, it means I've got an extra £45 to spend on REAL MAC ;]

caffn8me

Thanks for the update, that's great news
smiles.gif

Don't forget that as she's a trader and the goods weren't as described, in law, she is required to offer you a full refund including return postage costs.

Let's hope she does stop selling M·A·C on eBay.

inconspicuous

Yeah I'm going to send her another message when I get home requesting return postage costs as well. (I'm at work and ebay in blocked on these computers, so I can't get on to message right now, which sucks).

I'm just happy she's not contesting it at all and seems happy to refund for return.

redambition

Quote:

the lettering on the brush is of the type that is found on counterfeit brushes. it's incorrect and easy to spot if you compare it side by side to an authentic brush or if you know what features to look for
smiles.gif

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by redambition
the lettering on the brush is of the type that is found on counterfeit brushes. it's incorrect and easy to spot if you compare it side by side to an authentic brush or if you know what features to look for
smiles.gif

I own lots of authentic brushes - just not the 275
ssad.gif
And I wasnt accusing - it was an honest question.

I have actually had the fake 266, fake 190 and the rest of the others physically in my hands to see in person... for reference the 190 actually reeked beyond any comprehension -it made me sick!! I would like to see the 275 as well I think
greengrin.gif

Latest posts