user2

yup once....and its just two weeks ago...when we rehearsed for our musical (which went great btw!) the one girl who did the boys mu told me that my mu was too much! I was very disappointed b/c 10 minutes earlier she told me how great it looked...and she didnt even pointed at me she said my name so that everyone knew who she was talking about....
I posted it here too its called my smokey eyes in purple or anything else...
some of my friends admire me for my mu although they're too shy to wear that much mu!

singinmys0ng

oh my goodness..i get told this a lot! Not as much now cause a lot of people admire me for being so brave with colors and such. But also a lot of guys don't get that to me and alot of other people..make up is an ART. It's how I express myself (you know, since I can barley draw a stick figure but thank god i can draw on eyes lol) and it's also something I love to do! Makeup is something that can make anyone feel better about themselfs and I think that's one reason why I like makeup so much. It's not that your putting on another face..your just expressing how you feel on the inside and showing it on the out!

foreveratorifan

I wore a green eye look to work....I use to work as an auditor for the State of Iowa...so accounting work, VERY reserved....

and NO ONE said anything about my great look (and it was fabulous that day if I say so myself!) and I finally asked on of my friends in the office if it was good or looked bad or something....

And she was like "NO, it's fantastic, it's just that you don't see women wearing green eye makeup anymore"

LOL

obsessed_girl07

Kinda the opposite story....
I work at an eye doctor, and an older man complimented me cause the way I had my makeup, he said it's natural looking, not too much. My reply back was...if you only knew how much makeup it took to look natural....don't think he understood though :| hee hee

ms.marymac

People never really make rude comments about my makeup-some days I wear it kind of nautral, others dramatic. Strangers have made comments about my tattoos, do they really think I care about their opinion? I swear some people have no home training.

If someone feels the need to make a comment on your looks, find something you feel they might be self conscious about and point it out to them.
lol.gif

Onederland

I never get comments about this, well except from my mom.

I mean when I tell people who much I have on (i.e. foundation, concealer, blush, lipstick, lipgloss, mascara....), they're always surprised, but even so, they're just super shocked right off the bat when I tell them I actually do wear make-up. People can't ever tell when I do, which is good thing.

The only reason my mom makes comments is because she sometimes witnesses my hour or so long process of applying the products, and she gets aggravated.

But let's face it, hardly anyone has THIS flawless of a complextion by birth.

glittergoddess27

I get a lot of compliments and 99.9 % of the time I am wearing it bright and bold,. but yeah I have gotten a few of the negatives too,.... I have had women here tell me that they associate bright colors with exotic dancers,.... and a guy friend tell me that my makeup looks like those beautiful magazine ads and that intimidates guys,.. so I will take that as a compliment. The opinions here vary so much,.. we have a strange combination of ecclectic and backwoods here in Indy.

Demosthenes

I get mostly compliments, especially from other girls, and lots of people like to guess what colors I'm wearing. I think when I go to more conservative counters like Bobbi Brown, the MA's give me weird looks, like "WTF @ that girls' makeup!" Thankfully, they have class and dont' say anything to my face. Mostly that's because they are used to a different mentality about makeup, which is different from mine.

Interestingly enough, back when I was single, more guys approached me when I was doing a "natural" look or one with slightly less oomph that I usually wear. Maybe they don't like intimidating makeup? My hubby is always really supportive of my fondness for colors, and he's super sweet about telling me I don't need it (Yeah right) but I'm glad he doesn't mind it. It can be kind of overwhelming sometimes, and I know it. :p

mac_obsession

I went to a wedding wearing bright fuchsia, pink opal, and violet..It looked fabulous, and there were about 15 people that said so, and asked me what brand, name etc...They were all shocked when I said mac, every single one of them used mac but never knew about pigments, or bold colors. They just used like the facial stuff, and bland colors.

I remember a time when it was considered bad to wear blue eyeshadow... Saying blue e/s went out with the 80s...but it didnt at all! Its the opposite. Anyone that deals with fashion, or m/u ART, not just the act of concealing knows this.

I have a very good g/f who only wears black eyeliner and neutral tones. She was amazed when she saw me wearing 4 different colors (from madame b collection). She told me it looked great, but she could never pull it off...

She could tho, I think its just what you're used to, and a lot of people are afraid to try new things, or to go bold. Sad really. Even here Ive seen some amazing colors Id have never thought to use...This site gives me so much inspiration and comfort, especially for these topics, its nice to know you're not alone!!

Shoe Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_obsession
I remember a time when it was considered bad to wear blue eyeshadow... Saying blue e/s went out with the 80s...but it didnt at all! Its the opposite. Anyone that deals with fashion, or m/u ART, not just the act of concealing knows this.

The first time my mom saw me wearing blue she freaked and said that is something your grandmother would wear!! Then she really had a fit when I was wearing the green's and purples I try to explain to her that to makeup to me is an art a way for me to express myself and my individuality and I refuse to stick to browns and neutrals everyday.

She is really the only person who has ever told me I wear too much makeup I always get compliments from girls and even people at work who think I'm pretty brave with my colors I get made fun of because people say I color cordinate my clothes and my makeup.

mac_obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoe Crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_obsession

The first time my mom saw me wearing blue she freaked and said that is something your grandmother would wear!! Then she really had a fit when I was wearing the green's and purples I try to explain to her that to makeup to me is an art a way for me to express myself and my individuality and I refuse to stick to browns and neutrals everyday.

She is really the only person who has ever told me I wear too much makeup I always get compliments from girls and even people at work who think I'm pretty brave with my colors I get made fun of because people say I color cordinate my clothes and my makeup.

Heh, since I found specktra, I have gotten so much better with my own makeup. Ive learned so much that my mom always compliments me (and she is not a complimenter by far) when she sees me and says how beautiful it looks..I even got her buying higher end stuff, mac face powder and chanel glossimers...

joytheobscure

I've coordinated colors of eyeshadow to clothes since I was 13 and reading 17 magazine, LOL! I may begin to get more comments I'm getting a bit wild in my old age. I haven't been put down for makeup as much- I have had things said back to me about my taste in clothes... "hooker" kind of comments because i do wear unique patterns bold colors and try to be "different' but stay professional, that is one comment that pissed me off pardon my language. I wear bold clothes and makeup but my hair is very contemporary so I dont do the 80s big hair - so its not dated, if KWIM? But nothing that I didn't buy at Penney's or Searsand you know how freakin' wild those stores are!!! I dont' get those comments in Oklahoma/Texas the south where there are so many more people who wear makeup and bright colors... Up here when I do myself up I really get looks but never comments they'd just snidely say stuff behind your back. HA.

My mom hasnt commented on my makeup I've always been the type not to leave the house with my face "naked" she comments on my clothes occasionally -she can make me mad.. I'm 28 and If I want to wear shorts and tanktops I can- I dont' care if I am a HS teacher. LOL!!

melozburngr

I think its great when people look at me when I go out with crazy makeup.. lol it makes me laugh! I live in Grand Rapids, MI, home of the ultra conservative Dutch/Christian Reformed population... and I am about as far from conservative as one can get...and I totally dont fit into the republican mindset over here. :p

I'm the girl wearing crazy colors, weird combinations, and basically I will try anything, who cares- IT WASHES OFF.
smiles.gif

I'm definitely more courageous than most people I know when it comes to makeup, and well.. other things too lol.. but thats a different story... (Yaki if you're reading this- remember my HALLOWEEN costume?! lol) ha ha, off topic- halloween was fun, cold.. but VERY worth it. lol Won a trip to Vegas for a week cuz of my costume...

Anyway... Im rambling.. to answer the post, sometimes I get funny looks, or weird comments from people that don't understand why I have gold leaf on my face, but thats cool, I don't care.. the response overall has definitely been postive.. and my makeup makes ME feel good.. and ultimately- thats all that really matters.

Lo-Fi_Thriller

i wear too much eye makeup and im damn proud of it. people are just waspy because they cant pull it off!!

im not a Tammy Faye but ill be there in my old age
greengrin.gif

i learned how to use EVERY colour and going to Von lee right now is helping me even more, i can pull off the whole colour spectrum anyone really can they just gotta learn how to cordinate and set off certian colours... im not too fond of greys because that reminds me of grandma but i can do a good Chicago look
greengrin.gif

I get the occasional remark from my mom about having too much of this or that on. I sometimes think I overdo it sometimes, so I make it a point to go easy and it usually looks perfect. I love dramatic makeup so it's easy to overdo sometimes.

carmltai

I went to run errands/just about town with a girl i know but really don't like that well one day and the main colors were electric eel and aquadisiac (I'm a caramel colored black chick) anywho... I saw people looking at me when we were on the train, but it didn't seem like a bad way.. so later on that day she said rather smugly "you know, I like it when you wear natural colors, u were out today and all those people were lookin at you crazy cuz u looked like you were going to a party or something" (I also had on a black stappy shirt with studs on the front but SO WHAT) She is just a hater tho that only wears MAC bronze eyeshadow and still manages to look f-ed up so i don't take her opinion seriously but GRRRRR

If it makes you feel any better, carmltai I tend to sorta stare in awe when I see women with kickass makeup on. They probably thought you were hot.