2.5 years down the drain? I need advice ASAP :(

blackeneddove

Man I never wanted to have to turn here for advice but I really need some unbiased opinions, unlike what my friends offer me.

So some background information.. my boyfriend and I have been together for 2 1/2 years. The first 2 years of our relationship was amazing, the kind of stuff you see in movies, but in the last 6 months something happened and things have been going downhill.. it started with his drinking. He would break plans with me to go to the bar, and if he thought I would be upset he was going to the bar he would just lie to me and say he was doing something else. Strike 1.
Then he started being mean to me when he was drunk, telling me to "fuck off, leave him alone, go find other guys to talk to.." when I have NEVER even flirted with anyone else during our entire relationship because I was too crazy about him. Strike 2.
We eventually started arguing alot because of these problems and I knew since we weren't getting along and it wasn't healthy that I called things off and decided to go on a break so we either work things out, and if we couldn't, just end it for good.

After we were on our break it really opened up his eyes and since we saw each other less he stopped breaking plans with me, started treating me nicer, and even surprising me with little gifts and doing all the stuff that made me fall for him in the first place. Things were going good, UNTIL he got drunk at a friend's house and kissed the top of another girls head and had his arm around her all night- and she let him even though she has a boyfriend of 3 years. I wasn't there, my best friend told me this. So I confronted them both and he was crying and told me it would never happen again and since he had never done anything unfaithful before, I agreed to give him another chance.
Things were going good again, and we started seeing each other more and more, but he also started drinking more again and was being mean and hurting my feelings for no reason, which was started our problems in the first place. I would always leave him alone, tell him in the morning and he always felt really bad about it.
Then disaster number 2 hit. Last weekend at a party at a friend's house, he was really drunk, wouldn't talk to me and kept calling me names and told me to leave him alone, etc, so I did because by now I was getting fed up. Later that night, he let that same girl SIT ON HIS LAP. Won't even talk to me, but lets her sit on him and doesn't even tell her to get up. And yes, she still has her own boyfriend. My best friend once again saw this and told me the next time she saw me, and we went to go find them to confront them and realized they were nowhere. We looked all over the house, the backyard, nowhere. So my best friend called up the girl and she said she was down the street, so we went to the bottom of the driveway and waited. A few minutes later, my boyfriend walks up. My jaw seriously dropped. I asked him what the hell he was doing and he said "taking a walk". A few minutes after, the same girl walked up and said she was peeing.. in the street.. riiiiiight.. there's a thing called a bathroom.. So basically they went off together, made separate excuses why they were both down the street and came back separately, which is suspicious enough. I was furious and scared I was going to start beating the shit out of this girl so I left.

So after I had blocked it out of my mind for a few days I texted both of them. I asked them why they thought it was okay to do that stuff knowing they're both involved with someone and had been for 2.5+ years each. She said she doesn't remember sitting on his lap and she was bored at the party so they went on a walk. Already her story doesn't match up to that nights. Also, if she was bored, why didn't she bring a friend? And to make it more scandalous, her boyfriend was passed out the whole time this happened!
And then his response was that he was really drunk and didn't want to be mean to her. He said she was nagging him to come talk to her so he finally did. He said she led the way down the street, not him, when I asked why they couldn't just talk on the porch. He also said she was talking about problems with her boyfriend. And the reason they came back separately with different excuses is because they knew I'd be mad they were talking down the street together so they covered up.
I don't believe a word of this. Their stories don't match up. I broke down crying and he insisted that they were just talking and promised he would stop drinking because he can't stop being mean to me when he's drunk and not talk to other girls when he knows it will upset me, etc. because he's trying not to lose me. He even offered to go to AA but these problems were happening before he ran off with some skank, so these problems should have been fixed before it came to something like this. He keeps calling me crying and texting me and trying to convince me nothing will ever happen again.

I don't know what to do. I'm in shock because our relationship was so good until the past few months. I seriously thought we were going to be together for years to come. I trusted him. And I still don't know the truth of what happened on that "walk" because the stories are not consistent, and I think I deserve to know. I want to know if theres a way to work past this, but in my heart I'm not sure because the trust is gone. I have all these emotions invested in him still and I'm still so in love with him and I don't know if I can handle letting go.

I'm not going to let this stop me from doing things I would normally do even if it is killing me inside, so tomorrow I'm going to a Halloween party. Both the girl and her own boyfriend will be there, along with my "boyfriend". I'm scared I'm going to beat the shit out of this girl if she doesn't tell me the truth because I'm so mad. I'm also going to tell her boyfriend what happened because he was sleeping and had no idea, and he deserves to know just as much as I do. I don't even know how I'm going to react around my guy..

I need some advice on what to do about this whole mess. I know alot of you will say leave him for good, but it's so much easier said than done. If anyone has any ideas on how to possibly work through this I'd appreciate that too. Anything helps. Thanks for reading this everyone, I know it was long.

xo Chelsea

cazgh

hey there - hope your ok - sounds like something is deffo up and causing the changes in your man...

You might have to prepare yourself for some really hard times in the near future while things go a bit pear shaped.

Although he has the excuse that he is drunk when he is being mean to you (is this really a good enough excuse tho?) - it does indicate some underlying negative thoughts on his part towards you - maybe he is messing around, or maybe he just has some form of drink problem - either way - my honest advice is this...

Give yourself some time and space from him so that you can see clearly and without emotion clouding your judgement - it doesn't have to be forever, but something is clearly wrong. He can't treat you like this long term because it will end how you feel for him anyway so you have to knock it on the head sooner rather than later and that is going to take you being the driving force behind this by the looks of it.

He will either miss you and wake up, sink even further into his problems which you need to step back from anyway (not saying you cant help, just dont be dragged down with him), or he is going to move on fairly quickly as that is what he wants. He might try to string you along which is why you need a clear head - letting another girl sit on his knee and going off with her while not even letting you talk to him is bang out of order!!

So sorry to hear your in pain though - time for damage control so it doesn't get worse.

Sorry if this isnt what you want to hear
ssad.gif
and good luck with it all xx

Almond_Eyed

Sorry to hear about your situation, my heart goes out to you. It seems that your boyfriend has issues and he's dealing with it by drinking and taking it out on you. This isn't fair to you and you shouldn't have to deal with it.

As good as the first two years of your relationship may have been, he is disrespecting you and his behaviour is unacceptable. The longer you stay with him, the more you're letting him treat you this way. It may be difficult to move on from the two good years you spent together, but you're enabling him and telling him it's ok for him to treat you this way by staying.

He needs to understand that he cannot do this to you and you will not put up with what he's doing. That being said, it's up to him to change. If/when he finally cleans up his act, he'll realize how stupid he was to let you go. You've obviously given him enough chances to clean up his act but he hasn't. You're not responsible for fixing him (as much as girls like to try to fix guys), he's responsible for himself.

You deserve to be treated with respect and loved. I hope you find the strength to walk away from this situation. Good Luck <3

claralikesguts

i'm so sorry to hear about this, Chelsea.
th_hug.gif
i know how it feels to be completely infatuated with your SO. but, i've never had an experience like this, so i can't give much advice. one thing that crosses my mind is that maybe you should stop attending parties where this girl is. then again, maybe he'll find another girl at a different party, but if he were to do that, that should tell you to start going your own way. again, just a suggestion. i really hope things will work out! stay strong!

mommymac

I've always wondered why is it that the girl in the relationship is always the one trying to salvage it, sometimes things need to be thrown out. You think you've invested so much time and emotions, but wouldn't you rather cut your loses than destroy your mental state over a guy who may never be able to control his behavior once he starts drinking. I've always been told that a drunk tells what they really feel, and if what he displays when the alcohol takes away his fear, is that you don't deserve his honesty, his faithfulness and/or his respect then this is most likely not a relationship worth salvaging. But hopefully you won't tell the other girls boyfriend about this at someone else's party, that's not cool, and what exactly will you tell him, that your boyfriend and his girlfriend took a walk? I've always thought that success is the best revenge. Go to the party looking your best and enjoy yourself with the other people at the party, take the higher road and make them wonder what's going on in your head, will she or won't she?

rockin26

*Hugs*

This is understandably a very hard time for you right now and you're going to get allot of different opinions on the matter and I hope some of them help you choose a path that makes you happy. I really feel your pain and went through something very similar with an ex and did everything I could to maintain and fix the relationship because I loved him with all my soul. In the end it wasn't until I accepted that there was nothing I could do anymore and it was down to him that I knew I had to leave and see what he would do, mind you that took me 2 years to fully step away and we're no longer together and I'm ok with that and my life is happy again.

My advice would be to step back and really be apart, don't have contact with him and both of you take the time to yourselves to feel it out and see if life is meant to be spent together or to be apart. Of course he'll want you back and will go back to the sweet soul you fell in love with but you've already seen that doesn't last. Really try to not let him do that and just be on your own and let him take the time to think and clean his act up or move on.

I wish I could give you a miracle idea that will save your relationship with no muss or fuss but when it comes to matters of the heart it's always hard and can get messy. I sincerley hope whatever you do that you find happiness, I know it seems like a distant fantasy right now but remember things can't always stay the same they have to change whether they're good or bad.

Best of luck muffin!

lojical1

I'm sorry that you are going through this Chelsea. As stated before, being drunk is not a free pass to act like a jerk. I know how you feel about this after investing 2 1/2 years into this, but it is probably better to get out now, than to see that you wasted 25 years to someone so obviously inconsiderate of you.

Unless he is willing to get professional help and commit to being a positive part of your relationship, he is not worth the time or tears. He's not willing to change or make an effort to change to keep the relationship going, and as the saying goes, it takes two. In the meantime, surround yourself with your friends, immerse yourself in hobbies, pamper yourself and treat yourself right. In any relationship there are misunderstandings and rough patches, but from the outside, it looks like these issues run a bit deeper. Much love and luck.

-Ronnie

blackeneddove

Thank you everyone for your advice and kind words. As much as I want things to work out I think I'm going to take the advice that I've heard repeatedly and just focus on me and not talk to him. If it's meant to be things will work out in the end.. it's going to be hard because I'm used to talking to him almost everyday.
Hopefully things will be better and maybe he will realize what he lost and get help because what was once "going to the bar with the guys" has escalated into something bigger..
And I will go to that party and look amazing and they can just wonder.. thank you everyone! Hopefully I don't crack and talk to him.. I wish relationships weren't so hard. I know it's for my own good, but... sigh.

panther27

Oh,I am so sorry you are going thru this.My best advice would be to take a break,and see if he really tries to stop drinking.Then see how things go after that,hopefully he realizes that kind of behavior can't continue,and that will scare him into getting some kind of help.I really hope things work out for you,hugs.

at this party, you tell that girl's boyfriend what's been going on and stop taking your boyfriend back. he says he's going to stop drinking, being mean to you, etc, but he ends up doing it again. and the worst thing is, he disrespects you with all that name calling in front of others and then lets some girl sit on his lap all the while you are there. you do not need that. he's going to keep doing that to you and you're going to lose respect for yourself. so tell the girl's bf what's going on, tell your bf off in front of everyone and leave that party and all that drama behind. there are plenty of guys out there that will treat you right, you may have to go through a few bad ones to meet that right person. it'll be hard at first, but you will get through the heartbreak. good luck with everything

nichollecaren

I dont know what to say, except that he deserves to lose you. What stuck out to me the most is that he said he 'didnt want to be mean' to the girl, but he was okay with being mean to you!? Nope. Thats it.

blackeneddove

Quote:
Originally Posted by HersheysKiss
^^^ I think telling the girls bf whats up will create a crap load of unnecessary drama.

You're right, it probably would. If I was him I would wanna know if my girlfriend sat in some other dudes lap while I was sleeping, but hey. Who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichollecaren
I dont know what to say, except that he deserves to lose you. What stuck out to me the most is that he said he 'didnt want to be mean' to the girl, but he was okay with being mean to you!? Nope. Thats it.

Ugh, I know.. thats what I tried to explain to him. And hes like "what, I'm naturally a nice person..." I mean.. REALLY? To her and not me? What the hell.

abbyquack

Yea, I agree with everyone else who has said to take a break, for a little while, or even forever if it comes to that. I have had this same thing happen to me, and I felt bad flushing it all down the drain- because like you said, you had great, amazing times with this fellow, it's not been all bad. BUT, you deserve so so so much more. Showing him that you won't put up with his bad behavior will be the best indication of who he really is- if he shapes up and changes and gets help, then great. If not, then you'll know you dodged a bullet. Good luck, girl!

Dahlia_Rayn

Chelsea, you've already received some great advice, so all I'm going to add, is good for you being a bigger person! You can do this with class and grace and I will be sending hugs your way!

Mac2Perfection

Hey sorry girl sounds like a lot of drama you shouldn't be part of in the first place..I know I don't know you but if someone was treating me like what he was treating you like I would of got rid of them, but I can't say that I had the same problem with my ex of 3 years with a bad drug problem and I knew he was doing drugs I just chose to not get involved and then I found out he cheated on me. When I found out what he did, he never came up front about it..I didn't understand why but the girl he messed with told me what happen..when I found out I was devastated and upset yes, but I've been without for a year now and I met someone along the way..there is truly better fish in the sea and I think you can do better..

As far as the girl and your boyfriend, I think they obviously did do something..because if shes not telling you then she probably knows you go back and tell her boyfriend or you'll go around and start crap..

I think you need to have fun don't get involved with any of them if you can help it

For example go from having nothing with 3 years with trying to push my ex to stop smoking weed and quit stealing to finally know he messed up once to breaking up with him and having someone who completely understand my wants and needs..and treats me like a queen.. I understand you had good times you will always remember that..but do you want this for the rest of your life..you deserve to be happy and not miserable with your relationship. Every girl needs to be treated like a princess.

if ya need someone to ask for more advice send me a p/m

MUALindsay

It's never easy to step away and look at the big picture, and we often have to learn from our own mistakes. No matter who and how many times people tell us what we're doing is wrong/unhealthy/not good, etc., it never sinks in until we let it. I'm not saying everyone is right, but you're going to choose to do what you want. Been there, done that.

You were in a comfortable 'position' with him, he was always there, you were always talking to him, it was your life. To "give it up" isn't easy. Change is never easy. My ex and I were together almost 2 years and the last 6 months were miserable. I loved him, I was living with him, it was comfortable, I didn't want to move back "home", that was my home! I don't think he was cheating on me, but I had no idea. He'd often go to friend's on the weekend, and sometimes go to the bars and I was intentionally uninvited. His friends hated me and I had no idea why. Our biggest argument was at Halloween when he said he was going to a friends party and always talked like I was going with, until the day came and nope, I was not invited. I flat out told him, either we're both going or no one is. It ended up being our best night together, but I could never get over him going places without me. We stuck it out until I was done with college and bye-bye. We had slept in the same bed, only a few cuddles and few kisses, nothing else for 5 MONTHS!!! We cried the day I moved out and I never thought I'd meet anyone else...

4 months later I met my [now] husband. Life changes... our relationship is no where near what it was for the first 6 months, even though that included our biggest fight EVER. We're different, we're not as lovey-dovey anymore, er, he's not, but he's not really "chasing" me anymore, either, haha. He doesn't have to be. But back to our fight... it was after his sister wedding, where he said he would only have ~6 beers. He used to drink A LOT before we dated, but his drinking got him in trouble (long story). I was so mad at him for basically lying to me, as he had closer to 10 and was more effected by alcohol now than in the past. Why couldn't he have just STOPPED at 6? His sister wedding or not, that's no reason to end up in the bathroom puking, like his brother. And why the F* would you want to drink so much you loose control of yourself and do something you don't even remember and get in trouble AGAIN?! I said some mean stuff that night, but I was MAD... and if he wasn't in love with me, he would have probably left.

My point is... alcohol can do bad things, and this is why I only drink b/c it tastes good and if I start to get sick, I stop. I've never been drunk and don't understand why anyone would want to.
Men (boys) come and go. No matter how much you love him, you know, deep in your heart, you don't deserve to be treated like this. It'd be different (but not much) if the girl was a LONG time best friend and he never would 'cross the line' with her. He disrespected you and no matter if it's a kiss on the head, or letting her sit on his lap, you don't accept that, and he shouldn't do it. Can you get past what he's done? Even if he quits drinking 100%, and going to parties, etc, can you forgive him? Never ever bring it up again? I'm not sure I could. My friend walked in on her boyfriend w/ another girl (giving him head) and she married him... that image would be in my mind FOREVER!!! I'm sorry, they don't change THAT much! My husband smoked when I met him. I said I wouldn't date a smoker again (my ex smoked, and wouldn't quit, another problem)... he quit cold turkey and hasn't smoked since.

As hard as it may be, I think you need to focus on yourself and your wants and needs. Does the current bf fulfill them? Another guy will come around, trust me, and he'll be even better. However, if you are away from your bf and he get his act straight and proves it to you, then by all means, if you can handle it, go back. But he needs to know that was unacceptable and next time, you won't come back.

Give them an inch... they take a mile.

Good Luck honey.
smiles.gif

MaskedBeauty

I always say actions speak louder than words. He can say over and over again that he's "going to change" and things will get better but he needs to stop saying it and show it. Not just by buying you things like he used to but all that AND getting help for his drinking since it really seems to be the source of the problem. Until he can do all that and show you he is on the road to change then it is best to stay away from him for now. I know it is very very hard, the best advice I could say is to always keep busy. It really helps when you keep yourself very busy with work or friends or school. anything just to keep your mind off everything. Hope everything works out ok!

blackeneddove

Thank you everyone for your thoughts, comments and advice and Mac2Perfection and SlvrGrndM99, thank you for sharing your personal stories to show how me things can get better and will, I appreciate it very much.
I know that this is going to be a very hard thing to do and hopefully I can stay strong.. maybe one day he will actually get his act together and grow up a bit, calm down, and treat his SO with respect.. a girl can hope right? But until that happens, or even IF it does, I think after 2+ years, it may be time to focus on me..

LMD84

i think that you'd be making the right disision by focusing on your right now. as much as it'll hurt justtry taking a break from him so he can sort his shit out and you can both think about what you want for your fututre. i can't add much else because so many people have offered fab advise.... i just hope you're ok. stay strong hun - you deserve to be treated much much better
th_hug.gif

Latest posts