2009 Tax Returns

noahlowryfan

What forms do I use if I want to file for federal and state (California) tax returns? I don't have that much income from 2009, just one job and 2 months of unemployment benefits. Is it better to have someone do it instead of doing it yourself? I don't want to spend money for someone to do it if it is easy to do it if you only have one income and no other income.

KeishaG14

I use turbo tax. I heard good things about tax act as well and I heard the federal part of tax act is free if you don't file electronically.

noahlowryfan

What if I don't want to use a software but doing it by hand meaning having the forms right in front of my face and using ink.

Junkie

The forms are pretty straightforward - you can even find sites online that will help you out for free.

Just one income and Unemployment benefits are pretty simple....its things like rent, tuition (especially tuition), GIC/RRSPs, charitable donations and stuff like that that are harder. The less you have, the easier it is. Especially if you have all the appropriate receipts.

chynegal

i use tax act and they help u every step of the way to its really simple...if u dont nothing to really claim just use tax act

iaisha26

If your uncomfortable with filing your taxes yourself and have a pretty straight forward return, go to your local VITA site. VITA is a govt. program that offers you free tax services. I graduated with a BBA in Accounting from Temple University...this was part of our curriculum; I can say with CONFIDENCE this is a GREAT program. You don't pay one nickel.

Filing yourself...

If you don't want to purchase software you can file via the Turbo Tax site. If you don't have any deductible expenses such as mortg interest, child care expenses, donation etc. it's best to use their simpe return from. Please note, when using the Turbo Tax site, only the Federal return is free. Under the law. your still required to file a state. The Turbo Tax site will charge you a fee to file your state return.

You might make out better by purchasing the Federal Deluxe version, you're giving the same benefits, but 1 fee state return (must mail; e-file's addtl $20).

Good Luck!

JassyFresh

I understand not wanting to use software but i really have to give it up to Turbo Tax. I use it online and its just soooo easy. Plus they even double and triple check to make sure there are no errors. They have a live chat assistant and its basically mistake proof. Of course if you have a simple 1040 return its free to do your federal (unless you do direct deposit, then there is a fee) however if you have alot of deductions and such, you will pay a bit. Plus they charge for state returns. But IMO its worth it.

noahlowryfan

I receive a little over $2800 for unemployment for a year. My unemployment benefits will end in Nov 2010. I receive a booklet with form 1040ez from the irs for 2009 tax. On the cover, it said

"Unemployment Compensation
You do not have to pay tax on unemployment compensation of up to $2400 per recipient. Amounts over $2400 per recipient are still taxable."

So do they mean that if you receive over $2400 in 2009, you need to pay taxes and not the total amount you are expected to get from UI benefits? Because I have been having amounts withheld everytime I get the claim form and I was wondering if I did a stupid thing of withhelding the amount when I didn't have to pay taxes. I started receiving UI benefits in Nov 2009 so my unemployment compensation for 2009 is only $695 and federal tax withheld is $44. Will I get the $44 back from federal?

noahlowryfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaisha26
If your uncomfortable with filing your taxes yourself and have a pretty straight forward return, go to your local VITA site. VITA is a govt. program that offers you free tax services. I graduated with a BBA in Accounting from Temple University...this was part of our curriculum; I can say with CONFIDENCE this is a GREAT program. You don't pay one nickel.

Filing yourself...

If you don't want to purchase software you can file via the Turbo Tax site. If you don't have any deductible expenses such as mortg interest, child care expenses, donation etc. it's best to use their simpe return from. Please note, when using the Turbo Tax site, only the Federal return is free. Under the law. your still required to file a state. The Turbo Tax site will charge you a fee to file your state return.

You might make out better by purchasing the Federal Deluxe version, you're giving the same benefits, but 1 fee state return (must mail; e-file's addtl $20).

Good Luck!

Can VITA help you with the state income tax too? When does VITA help you with your returns? Do they start now? Do I have to bring anything if I go to VITA for help?

iaisha26

Yes, Vita does both Federal and state for free. Vita doesn't help you with the return, they file your return...same as going to any other tax service. I remember training before spring semestered started, so they're up and running by the last week of Jan, all site up and running by Feb 1.

You'd bring what you would normally bring...ID, Soc Sec Card, W-2, 1099, statements, etc. Bring check so you know your routing number and account number for direct deposit.

I always advise to bring a copy of your prior year return, if you don't have it, it's ok.
You're in CA, here's a link from the CA govt. site--

http://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/vita/sites.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahlowryfan
Can VITA help you with the state income tax too? When does VITA help you with your returns? Do they start now? Do I have to bring anything if I go to VITA for help?

noahlowryfan

when you say form 1099, can it be any 1099 form? I receive form 1099G from EDD here in CA.

Quote:
Yes, Vita does both Federal and state for free. Vita doesn't help you with the return, they file your return...same as going to any other tax service. I remember training before spring semestered started, so they're up and running by the last week of Jan, all site up and running by Feb 1.

You'd bring what you would normally bring...ID, Soc Sec Card, W-2, 1099, statements, etc. Bring check so you know your routing number and account number for direct deposit.

I always advise to bring a copy of your prior year return, if you don't have it, it's ok.
You're in CA, here's a link from the CA govt. site--

http://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/vita/sites.asp

noahlowryfan

I have an appointment with VITA. Can you tell me how the experience is like? Can we not have direct deposit and have the IRS mailed us a check?

Quote:

Filing yourself...

Good Luck!