219 Brush-precision crease

brownsuga lady

I've noticed that a lot of you ladies use your 219 (MAC) brush to apply your crease color/outer v color. Can you give me some tips on this?

Right now I used my 217 or 224 blending brush to apply my crease color and i'm not getting the precision that I would like. Some of you ladies have nice, precise defined creases...that's the look i'm going for. I think i've tried my 219 brush for this before and I ended up getting a thin line of color in the crease that didn't look right.

What am I doing wrong?
th_dunno.gif

macedout

i too just bought 219 brush, our MA said u can also use it to apply pigments to under lash line, or give a smudged/smoky eye, lots of uses
thmbup.gif

i am one of those who has to MAKE a crease as well
thmbdn.gif
sometimes its hard to determine where to start and end it, to increase surface area of small eye!

any tips appreciated...
th_DANCE.gif

Sanayhs

Have you tried using your 219 to apply the precise line of colour to the crease and then using the 217 or 222 (224 is probably too big) to blend it out? The blending brushes will be too large to do the initial application if you are looking for precision. You might also want to try an angled fluff brush (I often use the 275).

TDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownsuga lady
I've noticed that a lot of you ladies use your 219 (MAC) brush to apply your crease color/outer v color. Can you give me some tips on this?

Right now I used my 217 or 224 blending brush to apply my crease color and i'm not getting the precision that I would like. Some of you ladies have nice, precise defined creases...that's the look i'm going for. I think i've tried my 219 brush for this before and I ended up getting a thin line of color in the crease that didn't look right.

What am I doing wrong?
th_dunno.gif

I use the 219 on my crease and love it...it does take some practice...
Here are some tips!

Don't roll it over your shadow...turn it sideways and load up one half of it with shadow. You don't want the shadow all over it.
Next, press it sideways (color side) like you're extending your upper eye line. Put the most color here, then blend it upward toward and into your crease.
IT WILL LOOK SCARY, but thats ok...you'll blend it out later.
Just keep applying shadow until you have the desired color and shape of your crease and outer v.
It helps to use it in a swirly motion.
I always use a blending brush to smooth the harsh edges.

Hope this makes sense!

brownsuga lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanayhs
Have you tried using your 219 to apply the precise line of colour to the crease and then using the 217 or 222 (224 is probably too big) to blend it out? The blending brushes will be too large to do the initial application if you are looking for precision. You might also want to try an angled fluff brush (I often use the 275).

This is the exact advice I got from the Live MAC chat I did regarding this. Thanks! The #222 brush is next on my list of things to purchase.
winks.gif

brownsuga lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDoll
I use the 219 on my crease and love it...it does take some practice...
Here are some tips!

Don't roll it over your shadow...turn it sideways and load up one half of it with shadow. You don't want the shadow all over it.
Next, press it sideways (color side) like you're extending your upper eye line. Put the most color here, then blend it upward toward and into your crease.
IT WILL LOOK SCARY, but thats ok...you'll blend it out later.
Just keep applying shadow until you have the desired color and shape of your crease and outer v.
It helps to use it in a swirly motion.
I always use a blending brush to smooth the harsh edges.

Hope this makes sense!

That does make sense! Thanks for the tips. I'm going to practice
yahoo.gif

MiCHiE

No help here. I have 2 219s and I hate the harshness it gives me. I'll try the tips posted, but I am in much love with my NARS #12.

TDoll

When I used it today, I tried to pay extra attention to how I do it...lol.
I noticed that when I do it, I never use the point straight on...I always am using it sideways and sweeping it on its side.
Obviously, this brush isn't meant to "finish your look" by any means...lol...it'll look harsh until you blend it.
Its just good for depositing a lot of color and making a precise shape that will be blended out. You can't really create a precise shape with an ordinary brush used for the crease.

brownsuga lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDoll
When I used it today, I tried to pay extra attention to how I do it...lol.
I noticed that when I do it, I never use the point straight on...I always am using it sideways and sweeping it on its side.
Obviously, this brush isn't meant to "finish your look" by any means...lol...it'll look harsh until you blend it.
Its just good for depositing a lot of color and making a precise shape that will be blended out. You can't really create a precise shape with an ordinary brush used for the crease.

Thanks! I think that was my problem before, I was using the brush point on to deposit the color and it just gave me this weird thin line. I'm going to try using it on the side with the sweeping motion to get the precision and color deposit I need. Then I'll blend it out with a blending brush.
thmbup.gif

TDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownsuga lady
Thanks! I think that was my problem before, I was using the brush point on to deposit the color and it just gave me this weird thin line. I'm going to try using it on the side with the sweeping motion to get the precision and color deposit I need. Then I'll blend it out with a blending brush.
thmbup.gif

Definitely don't give up on it! It took me some time to really get it down!

pahblov

I kind of use it sideways too, but I basically just draw a line with it where I want my crease, and then blend it out with my 217, (and a lighter shade of that colour, if need be)

Latest posts