Lo-Fi_Thriller

i would first start hunting around your area for a Esthics school, i know there is a traveling makeup school called Dawn Til Dusk and they are in a few states incluidng Flordia...i have a few friends in FL that are attending the Aveda Institute in St. Petersburg.

here are a few in FL for you to check out.. just google their names these are just basic makeup schools i believe Aveda is a esthics school aswell:
Boca Beauty Academy
Aveda Institute
Dawn Til Dusk Traveling Accademy
first learn about skincare then start with makeup. that makes your work more irresistable to employers and customers. and i suggest dont rush into it like alot of girls do ( the ones who do are HORRIBLE makeup artists just a handful have true talent ala MAD SKILLZ ) and be truthful to yourself, school can change your mind about alot of things. i worked for makeup counters before and i want to work for MAC like every other smuck on here lol, but i am getting my career portfolio started before anything.

ok thats it.. all i can say is good luck!

NutMeg

icon_bump.gif

This interests me. Anyone else have any tips?

Endit

I'm also interested in makeup as a career for myself.

Highschools - not much there, but you can do makeup for plays and other events, that should count as something. Also, try talking to a guidance counselor for advice, I do that and I've found so much!

If you know any friends who are good at makeup, you could try learning from them, or you could search the internet for tips. MAC allows you to chat with their artists online or email them, so maybe that could also help.

You'd probably have to go around offering to do people's makeup for free for a while to get a portfolio and build up a list of clients (freelancing). A portfolio should also include a short paper to accompany the pictures (inspirations, about you etc). And make sure that everything in your portfolio is professional - no badly torn out pages, typos, ANYTHING! Eventually you could start prices though, and that's when you should be considered a makeup artist and able to qualify for a pro card. I don't believe that MAC requires you to go to a cosmetology school for the card - only if makeup is part of your main career.

Buy some makeup books? There's a FabGuide to being a makeup artist, and many books out there, but make sure you read reviews first! Some books tell techniques where others can just be pictures.

It would also help to know much of the fashion world (trends, etc). It shows your intelligence and also can help you to put the right thing on the right people.

I hope these things help - after all, I'm only 15!

Latest posts