$50 makeover for the cosmetically inept

Sanayhs

I have a friend who is interested in picking up a few new makeup items. All she knows how to use is foundation, eyeshadow and mascara, all of which are currently covergirl (but she's nearly out). She applies her cream foundation with the little sponge that came with. *shudders* She needs to keep her spending low, and would like to stick somewhere in the vicinity of $50. I have a few ideas myself, but thought I'd ask here:

What would you suggest?

Edit: Apparently she also needs skin care recommendations as she does nothing to her skin. No moisturizing, no sunscreen, nothing. Oi veh. I think her budget's going to need to grow!

Brittni

Well, I'd probably keep her with a drugstore brand mascara and splurge elsewhere that's for sure; especially if she has good eyelashes to begin with. I'm not the best to recommend foundation though because I don't like any liquids as they feel cake-y and I use mineral makeup a lot. It might be easier for people to suggest things if you let us know what she looks like, so we know the tones/colors to go with her.

Sanayhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittni
Well, I'd probably keep her with a drugstore brand mascara and splurge elsewhere that's for sure; especially if she has good eyelashes to begin with. I'm not the best to recommend foundation though because I don't like any liquids as they feel cake-y and I use mineral makeup a lot. It might be easier for people to suggest things if you let us know what she looks like, so we know the tones/colors to go with her.

She's pale with light red hair (leaning toward strawberry blonde) and blue eyes. She reports her skin to be quite normal. I'm not too concerned regarding colours and tones as I can certainly help her with that myself when she returns here from being away for university. I'm primarily curious as to what people would recommend for brand and formula.

athena123

Sanayas, welcome to Specktra! If your friend is on a budget, I'd recommend she focus on good skincare first, then secondarily makeup. It's not nearly as fun or colorful but she'll be glad she paid attention to her skin when she gets older.

Please get her some sunscreen and check out the skincare forum for other advice related to her skin type. A gentle cleanser without any harsh sulfates and light moisturizer and eye cream may be all she needs.

Totalling this up.

4 oz. of jojoba oil from Trader Joe's [may also be available at either vitacost.com or drugstore.com] = $8.00. Jojoba oil is a multi-use product to remove makeup [including eye], cleanse [see the skincare forum for the oil cleansing method thread] and light hydration.

4 oz. of cold pressed organic avocado oil - she can use this around the eyes, neck and chest for richer hydration. That would be about $7

Or, go with an eye cream from Olay Regenerist line. Not bad at all for a drugstore line and while it won't address creases, if all she needs is moisture, this will work perfectly fine. Approx. $24.

Get a good sunscreen, this is where she should be putting the money! May be 20/30 dollars but worth it.

If you can skip the eye cream, you'll still have 10-15 dollars to invest in some samples of mineral makeup.

Geez, I wish I could spend so little on my skincare and makeup but I'm a little older
smiles.gif

Sanayhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena123
Sanayas, welcome to Specktra! If your friend is on a budget, I'd recommend she focus on good skincare first, then secondarily makeup. It's not nearly as fun or colorful but she'll be glad she paid attention to her skin when she gets older.

Thanks athena! As soon as I asked about her skincare and learned about the complete lack of it, I told her it was first priority. I believe I've at least convinced her not to use the sponge that's with her foundation any more! She admits it looks really gross, but she keeps using it... I just can't quite understand why one would do that to themselves! "Hmmm, this looks gross, but I'll rub it against my face anyway."

Latest posts