):

idkanymore

Beware this is long.

This past year has challenged me more than ever.To start I'm only fourteen.My mom lost her job February 2008 and it hurt her so much.She is a RN and worked so hard to become one.This made my mom incredibly depressed and suicidal.It was so hard for me to see her like that.She didn't apply for any jobs and we still had the same shopping habits.We were alright until December.That was when the well ran dry.Please don't judge me for this but she couldn't even afford to take me to school so I didn't go_Our electricity got cut off every month.We got our cable,phone,and internet shut off so I couldn't do online schooling.I lost contact with my friends because I became depressed,not suicidal.I would never allow my friends to see me the way I was.We have been living like this for months.Then recently my mom became strong again.She applied for jobs because she didn't want to live like this anymore and after months of applying she got a job.We got everything turned back on.I started talking to my friends again.I'll call them A and J.I used to be really close to J.We did everything together,until my mom ran out of money and we couldn't do that anymore.I didn't become really close to A until December.When A got me a really nice Christmas present J started talking to A.She basically used her because she saw my gift.This was around the time I stopped going to school (which I am going back to online) and I just talked to both of them less and less because I was going through tough times.Because things have gotten better I started talking to them again because J has a big mouth and I didn't want to say something I'd regret.A,J,and I were talking on three way and then J started making fun of my acne,which has been reduced dramatically.I was stressed and going through puberty do the math.What makes me so mad is that J didn't have the clearest skin either and I always helped her when she had a breakout.So I stopped talking to her for a month and half and just talked to A and told her not to tell J.She didn't.But A told me to make mends with her,she couldn't keep lying so I answered when J called and accepted her apology.I slept at her house the next few days.It was the first time I had seen her in six months and it felt good to be with my friend again.So we took pictures and put them on MySpace.There was a picture with our shoes and all of a sudden her crush who is a jerk btw says "What happened to being broke?lmao." That was when I saw the first sign.I went home and blah blah blah.I talk to A the other night and she said that J and I were starting to think you went broke.I told her I had to go and immediately began to cry.I thought I could keep this a secret.I really wanted to.Everyone must know now.I used to have nice things and I had fun and had good grades.Now everything is gone.I almost feel like ignoring everyones calls for the rest of my life.I'm so stressed and I can't sleep because I have insomnia.I feel like my life has no meaning.I could have been something and then everything went wrong.

Mabelle

Why are you so ashamed? Millions of people (globally) have it worse. The recession has devastated your country. People have lost their homes, their lives. Your fortunate enough that your mother has found more work, and yet you continue to whine about not having nice things?
I'm sorry if im coming off as a real bitch, but why arent you appreciating what you have? Food, heat, electricity, a roof over your head.

This worrying about possessions is a huge problem with youth today. I dont understand it. You would think that "loosing everything" would but things into perspective, but no. My advice? Buck up and get better friends. Life's not all sunshine and roses.

idkanymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabelle
Why are you so ashamed? Millions of people (globally) have it worse. The recession has devastated your country. People have lost their homes, their lives. Your fortunate enough that your mother has found more work, and yet you continue to whine about not having nice things?
I'm sorry if im coming off as a real bitch, but why arent you appreciating what you have? Food, heat, electricity, a roof over your head.

This worrying about possessions is a huge problem with youth today. I dont understand it. You would think that "loosing everything" would but things into perspective, but no. My advice? Buck up and get better friends. Life's not all sunshine and roses.

I do have to worry about food.
I do have to worry about my home being taken away from me.
I have to worry about my electricity being cut off every month!
I'm not ashamed because I have went through this before,I'm upset that even though I didn't even talk to my friends they still found out.
I do need new friends.

Simply Elegant

Materialistic things aside, I understand it hurts to lose friends, even bad ones. I really don't think these girls are your friends. I think it would be better to make new ones and maybe go back to school so you can be with people your own age. It's only going to make you feel worse to be stressed about things that happened in the past so I would work on feeling good with what you have right now because things are a lot better for you now rather than before.

idkanymore

Thank you for the kind responses.My electricity gets turned back on almost immediately,my moms friends helps us with that.My mom isn't suicidal anymore.She has a job now but she has to finish getting insurance and stuff for it.I'm an only sibling,thank goodness.My mom is a single parent and my dad has only paid child support once this year.

RedRibbon

I would call you selfish for behaving the way you are behaving/feeling but I realise you're 14 years old and without wanting to sound patronising, the things you are worrying about are the kinda things I used to worry about when I was your age. If this had hapened to you when you were older you would react in a totally different way.

However, I do agree with Mabelle, you should really put things into perspective. Your mum was lucky enough to find another job and your situation will improve. If your "friends" want to be idiots and treat you like that then disassociate yourself from them. They seem pretty shallow if they think the fact that you're broke is cause for amusement and they let the world know your secrets.

idkanymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRibbon
I would call you selfish for behaving the way you are behaving/feeling but I realise you're 14 years old and without wanting to sound patronising, the things you are worrying about are the kinda things I used to worry about when I was your age. If this had hapened to you when you were older you would react in a totally different way.

However, I do agree with Mabelle, you should really put things into perspective. Your mum was lucky enough to find another job and your situation will improve. If your "friends" want to be idiots and treat you like that then disassociate yourself from them. They seem pretty shallow if they think the fact that you're broke is cause for amusement and they let the world know your secrets.

This thread has made me see that I am selfish.
I'm not talking to J anymore.
I'm not mad at A because she told me what J said.
I know which one has a bigger mouth.
Thank you.

gildedangel

You need some new friends; friends are not supposed to spill you secrets and make you cry. Sadly at your age there aren't a lot of mature people who know that possesions in the big picture are not that important. Heck there aren't a lot of them at my age. I am glad that you are getting your life back in order and I hope that this ordeal has taught you an important lesson in both priorities and friendship!
smiles.gif