A Career that involves traveling??

paige2727

Hi Guys! So I am really interested in a career that involves traveling the world! Do any of you have a career that involves travel or any recommendations of jobs? Thanks!

abbyquack

Well, there are a few options. You could:

1) Be a flight attendant

2) Work on a cruise ship (Holland America, Princess, Disney, Carnival, etc),

3) Apply for seasonal employment in popular tourist areas (Alaska, Carribbean, etc.). I have friends that do seasonal employment in Alaska, and in the off-season they just bum around in South America or Thailand.

4) Get in with a hotel chain with international properties (ie, Marriott), and if you work for them for a while, there are often opportunities for transferring to foreign locations where they'll get you a visa, assist you in moving etc.

5) Another great idea that isn't necessarily work, is work-exchange: helpx.net is a great site where people all over the world post help-needed ads. They don't usually pay money but they will pay in room/board/food, and the jobs are generally only a few days/weeks, so you can visit many places. See this blog Captain's Log for an example of one of my friends who did this and had amazing experiences. Unfortunately, you will probably need money for this, so it's not work, but it is relatively inexpensive and a once-in-a-lifetime adventure.

6) Volunteer in third-world countries, or teach english in Japan, Korea, China, South America, etc.

7) Become a travel agent! It's not constant travel, but there are a lots of FAM trips available to agents that are cheap. Actually anything in the travel industry will open some doors for you.

HTH. I would offer you my job (I travel for a living, lol), but mine is a unique job, and I'm not sure I wanna give it up.
smiles.gif

paige2727

Thanks so much for the great answer, I really appreciate it! Wow, you are really lucky! Do you mind telling me a bit about your job! I am so interested, I love talking about this kind of stuff!

kelly2509t

I'm a flight attendant (or cabin crew as well call ourselves in the UK) so If you wanna ask questions about that fire them my way
smiles.gif

anita22

It depends how much you want to travel I guess. My sister's boyfriend works on a cruise ship. He pretty much travels all around the Pacific, but he's away for about 3 months at a time. On the other hand, many international companies have roles where you'll be travelling every other week or so.

abbyquack

Quote:
Originally Posted by paige2727
Thanks so much for the great answer, I really appreciate it! Wow, you are really lucky! Do you mind telling me a bit about your job! I am so interested, I love talking about this kind of stuff!

No problem
smiles.gif
I actually work for a cruise line. In the fall/winter, I travel the U.S. and market our Alaska product. I live in hotels, which I thought I'd hate but I actually love it- I never have to clean!
lol.gif
Then, in the summer I work as a Sales & Service Manager in Alaska- so I basically just make sure that things are going smoothly for our guests.
smiles.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by anita22
It depends how much you want to travel I guess. My sister's boyfriend works on a cruise ship. He pretty much travels all around the Pacific, but he's away for about 3 months at a time. On the other hand, many international companies have roles where you'll be travelling every other week or so.

Yea, usually on the cruise ships you sign a contract that can be btwn 3-12 mos, depending also on the type of work and/or the seasons of the ship. It's fun because you get to see all sorts of beautiful ports and you live on a gorgeous ship that people pay thousands of dollars to ride, but it can also quickly start to feel like any other job. But I work with a lot of the cruise ship employees in the summer and I have been tempted to join them a few times!!
smiles.gif

Machinegun_Cali

Military !!

The only regret of my life is not following through and backing out of West Point.

I like the cruise ship idea too. I personally love taking cruises why not work on one !

Chikky

Engineer. You travel a ton if you get in with a company that does a lot of international work, which is most of them.

My one friend used to travel every other week. Taiwan, China, Puerto Rico, etc etc etc... As it is, the place that he works, they have people out of the country every week. Some companies do more travel than others, though, so you have to get the company's stand on that.

paige2727

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly2509t
I'm a flight attendant (or cabin crew as well call ourselves in the UK) so If you wanna ask questions about that fire them my way
smiles.gif

Awesome
thmbup.gif
Tell me everything there is to know! Haha, I have always wanted to be a flight attendant after watching the movie view from the top!

paige2727

Ahh I am so excited! I can't wait to go overseas when I am older! I just love exploring and going on different adventures! Working on a cruise ship would be so cool!

Ria-xo

Im just like this too, I would love to be in a job which I enjoy and lets me see the world at the same time!
greengrin.gif

Im more interested in cabin crew or working on a cruise ship, but since Im only 16 I think you have to be 18 before you are even considered a place in that area of work since you would be travelling alot!

Anyways, good luck! Hopefully you manage to work something out
smiles.gif

Ode to Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyquack
No problem
smiles.gif
I actually work for a cruise line. In the fall/winter, I travel the U.S. and market our Alaska product. I live in hotels, which I thought I'd hate but I actually love it- I never have to clean!
lol.gif
Then, in the summer I work as a Sales & Service Manager in Alaska- so I basically just make sure that things are going smoothly for our guests.
smiles.gif

May I ask what you do in your free time/how you handle your personal life?
I guess if you are a person who makes friends quickly it's easy?

I am trying to find a career that allows me to travel, too. The only problem is that I'd like to study psychology, and I don't know how to combine those two wishes?...

xsnowwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ode to Joy
May I ask what you do in your free time/how you handle your personal life?
I guess if you are a person who makes friends quickly it's easy?

I am trying to find a career that allows me to travel, too. The only problem is that I'd like to study psychology, and I don't know how to combine those two wishes?...

you can do a semester at sea, where you study what you want while on a cruise ship of some sort and go to different places! I know few people who have done it and all thouroughly enjoyed it.

Ode to Joy

Really, that's possible? For Eupean students, too?
Does anyone know where I can find more information about that? Is it expensive?

UrCaribbeanGirl

Hi I'm new to this but what I would love to know is, would it be hard to do as a parent? I'm from the caribbean and there are opportunites to work on a cruise ship and in the airline industry but I really really am and always was interested in a job that allows me to travel the world.

writerlilly

Cruise ship. Military. The easiest one I see for young people is teaching English abroad. You may have to spend a couple thousand dollars for the certification, but once you have a teaching job abroad, then it helps.

While you're traveling world wide, that's also a great opportunity to start a travel blog.

Some businesses require travel abroad as well, depending on your client.