a few MAC questions

Hikari

sorry if it's been asked before ><

this is going to be my first purchase of MAC products and i'm just trying to sort out what i need exactly and not regret buying it!

i went to selfridges the other day and this lady recommended me:
- NC20 mineralise satinfinish
- strobe cream

i was wondering if i should buy a MAC moisturizer on top of those 2 products above? and also, what the difference is between studio moisture fix and moisturelush cream? i just need a good prep before putting on foundation and everything, their descriptions are similar but their prices have a tiny difference. and will the strobe cream actually help me much (other than giving off a nice shinier look)?

thank you so much for reading
smiles.gif

rachybloom

First.. If you break out easily, don't get MAC foundations. I got Mineralize Satinfinish last summer and I had five gigantic cystic pimples that wouldn't disappear for a whole month from using this stuff.. Not everybody reacts badly to MAC foundations but I know that a lot of people do.

Next, I LOVE Strobe Cream. It makes your foundation look more... natural? It just adds a lovely shimmery sheen to your skin and it does have some moisturizing benefits. I would definitely get it. It will last you forever since you only need a little drop to either mix in with your foundation or just to highlight different parts of your face.

About the moisturizers.. I've never tried any of MAC's skin care besides Strobe Cream but I'm sure you could find in depth reviews on makeupalley or something?

lyttleravyn

I'm also not a big fan of MAC foundations. I have Studio Fix Fluid and that is alright, but when I tried Studio Tech I broke out in cystic pimples! So I stick to what I know and love: MUFE Face and Body Foundation and MUFE HD powder.

I looooove MAC's Strobe Cream! For a moisturizer I just use simply Olay cream and it does great. If you want a primer try MAC's Prep + Prime Skin.

Personally, I use mostly non-MAC for skin and face and almost entirely MAC for eyes and lips.

What is your daily makeup routine like now? Maybe you could try replacing those things gradually with MAC or adding a few things from MAC to supplement your dailies if you are happy with them.

Hikari

rachybloom - i was wondering what mixing the foundation and strobe cream does?
smiles.gif
the lady did try the foundation on me and i have not broken out yet (it's been a week nearly) thanks for your insight/reply!

lyttleravyn - oh i see, i'll have a look at that make! i don't do much to my eyes or lips, only my face really. i put on moistorizer, Rimmel foundation and then sometimes a bit of powder to set it.

the reason why i want to buy the MAC mineralize satinfinish foundation is because NC20 suits me perfectly without making me looking too orange or out of color (95% of drugstore foundation colors are too dark/orangey for me! ><). sorry i have another question... which brush would be ideal for applying that foundation?

rt66chix

Are you asking about strobe cream or liquid?
Strobe Cream is actually a great moisturizer and it has a ton of antioxidants in it. You wont need a separate moisturizer if you use it under your makeup.

Strobe Liquid, on the other hand, is mainly to give you that pretty glowy skin and you can wear it under, over, or mixed into your foundation and you'll probably need a separate moisturizer with it.

Of the 2 creams you asked about, Studio Moisture Fix is better than Moisture Lush in my opinion. I've tried them both, and I although Moisture Lush is the newer of the 2, I felt that it wasnt as moisturizing. Also, Studio Moisture Fix has shea butter in it and has a special formula that continues to release moisture all day long.
Sorry if the answer was long-winded but I hope it helps.

GlamQueen21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari
rachybloom - i was wondering what mixing the foundation and strobe cream does?
smiles.gif
the lady did try the foundation on me and i have not broken out yet (it's been a week nearly) thanks for your insight/reply!

lyttleravyn - oh i see, i'll have a look at that make! i don't do much to my eyes or lips, only my face really. i put on moistorizer, Rimmel foundation and then sometimes a bit of powder to set it.

the reason why i want to buy the MAC mineralize satinfinish foundation is because NC20 suits me perfectly without making me looking too orange or out of color (95% of drugstore foundation colors are too dark/orangey for me! ><). sorry i have another question... which brush would be ideal for applying that foundation?

Most people apply foundation with a 188 or the 187 brush. Some people use the 109 brush to apply foundation.

kariii

the new 165 brush is amazing for applying foundation, then 187 to stipple.. seriously my face looked airbrushed!

Hikari

rt66chix - yup, the strobe cream is what the lady recommended me
smiles.gif
thanks for your advice! i guess if strobe cream doesn't work for me, i can always try the studio moisture fix then!

GlamQueen21 - ah ok thanks ^^ the 109 brush... small contour brush?

kariii - aww too bad the UK MAC site doesn't have the 165 brush, i'll check it out in store to see if it's out in the UK
smiles.gif

Girl about town

The 165 is an SE brush with blonde brunnette redhead which is out the start of feb in the UK.
If you have oily skin i would tread carefully with strobe cream and mineralise satin finish if you don' you might as well give it a go, i wouldn't use extra moisturiser with the strobe cream.
I like the 190 or the 187 to apply foundation.

kariii

the 190, I find hard to control with liquid foundations (yes yes, I know that that is its purpose) However the 190, puts SFF on super cakey and uneven. I would recommend applying moisturizer with 190 (that's what i use on clients for obvious sanitary reasons) and then liquid foundation with either 109 (Permanent product)but I find that my 109 sheds a lot and that can get kind of annoying when using a liquid or 165 (BBR is being launched in the UK in a month!) to set the liquid foundation I use 182 to apply studio fix or MSF in whatever shade the client is. I'm going to do tutorial on this I think!

Hikari

thank you so so much for your replies!!

i've bought my 3 products today:
- mineralize satinfinish NC20
- strobe cream
- mac 187 brush

i will definitely purchase a 190 in the future and have a look at the 109 and 165 brush when i next visit the mac shop!!

thanks a lot for your advices
smiles.gif
(and i'm looking forward to your tutorial, kariii!)