A question about bases...

BehindxHerxEyes

I know there are topics about bases, but I was wondering, with MAC shadows is there specific bases that are better for each finish?

No matter what I use underneath, all my lustre shadows dont show up as vibrant as I want them too..

Trax

I know a lot of girls wear Shadesticks that are in near color to their eye shadow. I just use the Bare Canvas Paint and Beige-ing Shadestick or the Paint with Hush CCB as bases. But it is true that the colored Shadesticks definitely intesify the eye shadow color!

allan_willb

I love the shadesticks...but paints are more for crease proof and the shadesticks are more for color intensity...but if u know hot to work it well you can actually get your eyes crease PROOF AND with vibrant color!

litlaur

I'm a big fan of Urban Decay Primer Potion for any shadow. Maybe UDPP with a shadestick in similar color of the lustre you're using (ex. Gracious Me s/s under Pink Venus e/s). I think some people also like using CCBs with lustre e/s.

allan_willb

you know i have tried and tried to use mac's prep and prime for the eye and THEN try to put my shadestick over it and it doesnt go on well.But if you apply the shadestick on just the bare skin it goes on much much better.I don't know if thats just me or is it like that for everyone?

iiifugaziii

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_willb
you know i have tried and tried to use mac's prep and prime for the eye and THEN try to put my shadestick over it and it doesnt go on well.But if you apply the shadestick on just the bare skin it goes on much much better.I don't know if thats just me or is it like that for everyone?

I agree with you on that one. I think shadesticks go on the best on clean, bare skin.

glittergoddess27

Yep,.. ITA with the whole shadestick on bare skin thing,..big time,. though I have gotten pretty good at getting those puppies on over paint. LOL. I wear a lot of lustres,.. and CCB 's do work nice but mostly I wear them over frostlite a lot,.. the tackier the base the better,.. I also always apply my lustres with my 242. It is a stiffer brush and delivers more color.

user4

for lustre's the MA told me that CCBs are good cuz they are more tacky and hold on the to shadow and shimmer more, but they are still gonna be lighter than other shadows cuz they are less pigmented.

xiahe

you could use colors that coordinate with your shadows, such as royal hue s/s / mauvism paint for purples or gracious me s/s / canton candy paint for pinks. all i use is bare canvas paint, and it's fine for me, but using coordinating bases with your e/s colors can make the colors a little more vibrant than just a "nude" s/s or paint.

MDgyrl4life

I use lucky jade s/s with my greens/turquoise, penny or shimmersand s/s with my browns and golds, crimsonaire or gracious me s/s with my pinks, sea me s/s with my blues and stillife paint with everything else. I just bought royal hue today so I'm not sure how it will work with my purples.

BehindxHerxEyes

thanks you guys.. I bought bare canvas paint today*along with lovebud, idol eyes, and parfait amour* and the e/s's show up a lil better on the paint then on my s/s..

brandi

hmm... with shadesticks i use them over prep&prime... they are a bit harder to get on nicely so i just put on a bit more and brush it with my 242brush to smooth everything out... it works well for me...
paints are good for no creasing but i would put a little CCB over it to make your eyeshadows stick more! i think that fluidline is one of the best bases! it's awesome i promise! my colors come out great and my eyes dont crease... my MA told me that if you have oily eye lids then prep and prime wont work for you. but when i do prep and prime with s/s it doesn't crease s/s only crease when i use it alone.sorry sooo loong

a914butterfly

i didn't like the prep & prime - it didn't seem to work well for me, i usually use CCB in cooled pink (pro item) with pink or voilets, lancome maupiti with blues and greens, and sometimes i just use Beige-ing Shadestick under any color since it's a neutral color

lovalotz

I love the shadesticks!
I just bought my first last weekend..and i can't stop playing with it. I guess it's really up to you if you want color intensity or just to prevent creasing.

holliedavis

I didn't care for the Mac Pre + Prime either... It helped the shadow go on more smoothly, but didn't help with color pay off.

bellaetoile

urban decay primer freaking potion, lol. the stuff can do no wrong, just a tiny dab to each eyelid, blend with your fingertip, let dry, then use a shadestick in a color coordinating to your eyeshadow. the colors will be amazingly bright, and stay on through a monsoon. i do kind of a "paint-by-numbers" if you will, with shadesticks, using the exact colors in the exact places where i want them, then putting that color eyeshadow over it. works like a charm. if you find shadesticks difficult to work with, zap em with a hair dryer for like 5-10 seconds. makes them softer, and easier to apply. cream color bases, paints, etc. are other alternatives, i just happen to adore shadesticks.

wildesigns

My lids will crease like mad and I've finally found several things that will keep colors true and budge-proof alllll day:

EL Go Wink Liquid e/s (I think it's dc'd now, tho, but great)
MAC Stilife Paint (great neutral)
Lumene e/s base (from CVS, $10 and tube lasts FORever)
NYC Face & Body Shimmer ($2.99 tube, a dot will do and WORKS)
Wet n'Wild Mega Eyes in Champagne Toast ($1.99 tube & same as above)

Some are more $ than others but I like to play around and see b/c you just never know and those all work well. The Mega Eyes has the heaviest texture by far but can be easily sheered down. I've never been disappointed by any of them.