Abuse

MACHOMULA

I wanted to share with all you lovely specktrettes what has been going on in my life this past week and a half. Hopefully this story can be passed on and shared and some good can be gleaned from a very bad situation.

I work with a very beautiful, very inteligent girl who we'll call C. She, another girl, and I have all become very close friends. We're the "three musketeers" of our unit (we're registered nurses.) She's 27 and a mother of a precious 3 year old little boy. Unfourtunately her relationship with her husband isn't so good. They married because of pregnancy and it's been all downhill from there. He doesn't always necessarily hit her, but he push, shoves, drags, etc. She's come to work many a time with bruises all over. Daily she's dealt with his drug use, screaming, cursing, and belittling. We have begged and begged and begged for her to get out of that relationship. At one point C even was in the process of getting a divorce, and had a restraining order against him. Somehow, he sweet-talked her back. Her father was also abusive towards her mother, so maybe she doesn't know better or believes that some people just are destined to have to put up with that crap.

Things weren't always bad. At one point they went for several months without fighting, but he always lapsed back into the same pattern. I don't believe he is an inherently bad person either- just insecure and unable to cope with not being in control.

Anyhow, about a week ago, in the evening,they commenced to fighting as usual. Afraid of being injured or of letting the argument escalate out of control, she tried to leave for a few minutes to give him time to cool off. She ran down and got in her car. He chased after her. She got in the car and locked the doors. In an attempt to detain her he jumped onto the back of her moving vehicle. He was drunk and not able hold on very well. As she was trying to pull out of the driveway he lost his balance and fell off. She thought he had given up and jumped off, but only got a few seconds down the road before she thought to turn around to make sure he was all right. She found him lying in a pool of blood. He now is in the Neuro Intensive Care Unit of our University hospital. We are being told he is not likely to survive and that his brain is already extensively damaged. He had been in a car accident before and apparently his skull and blood vessels in his brain were weak which made what would seem like a small injury a very large one.

And poor C will never be the same. Though he took the blow in this one, she will take the final one.

I want to share this because I know that some of you out there are bound to be in a relationship similar to this one. I was when I was in college, and I just keep thanking God that Hehelped me get out. There is a way out and the loneliness and fear of rejection is soo much better than having to deal with what C is dealing with right now. She feels guilty.She feels responsible. Her little boy may never speak to his daddy again. The last conversation she had with her husband will be one of anger with words that can't be taken back. She will loose the man she loves in a horrible horrible way.

All I can think is how different things could've been had she just walked away.

Please, please, please, if you are in a place like C, there is a way out and your life will not be over. Walk away.

Beauty Mark

It sounds like she is following her mother's footsteps... I hope she learns to overcome her guilt, because it isn't her fault at all. He jumped on the back of the car.

I hope you and the other woman are able to help her get through this and that she seeks serious help.

Tash

I can't even imagine what she's going through. My thoughts will be with her.

MissMarley

my prayers are with her. i hope she realizes that she deserves better in life, and that this was not her fault. she's lucky to have a friend like you!

saniyairshad

She's in my prayers, and thank u for sharing this story with us.. C is in our prayers hon and may God be with her and may she find someone who loves her very much and may God also help her out through this hard time of hers. Amen

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMarley
my prayers are with her. i hope she realizes that she deserves better in life, and that this was not her fault. she's lucky to have a friend like you!

Agree 100%...she's a lucky woman to have such supportive friends...my thoughts will be with her.

macslut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACHOMULA
I wanted to share with all you lovely specktrettes what has been going on in my life this past week and a half. Hopefully this story can be passed on and shared and some good can be gleaned from a very bad situation.

I work with a very beautiful, very inteligent girl who we'll call C. She, another girl, and I have all become very close friends. We're the "three musketeers" of our unit (we're registered nurses.) She's 27 and a mother of a precious 3 year old little boy. Unfourtunately her relationship with her husband isn't so good. They married because of pregnancy and it's been all downhill from there. He doesn't always necessarily hit her, but he push, shoves, drags, etc. She's come to work many a time with bruises all over. Daily she's dealt with his drug use, screaming, cursing, and belittling. We have begged and begged and begged for her to get out of that relationship. At one point C even was in the process of getting a divorce, and had a restraining order against him. Somehow, he sweet-talked her back. Her father was also abusive towards her mother, so maybe she doesn't know better or believes that some people just are destined to have to put up with that crap.

Things weren't always bad. At one point they went for several months without fighting, but he always lapsed back into the same pattern. I don't believe he is an inherently bad person either- just insecure and unable to cope with not being in control.

Anyhow, about a week ago, in the evening,they commenced to fighting as usual. Afraid of being injured or of letting the argument escalate out of control, she tried to leave for a few minutes to give him time to cool off. She ran down and got in her car. He chased after her. She got in the car and locked the doors. In an attempt to detain her he jumped onto the back of her moving vehicle. He was drunk and not able hold on very well. As she was trying to pull out of the driveway he lost his balance and fell off. She thought he had given up and jumped off, but only got a few seconds down the road before she thought to turn around to make sure he was all right. She found him lying in a pool of blood. He now is in the Neuro Intensive Care Unit of our University hospital. We are being told he is not likely to survive and that his brain is already extensively damaged. He had been in a car accident before and apparently his skull and blood vessels in his brain were weak which made what would seem like a small injury a very large one.

And poor C will never be the same. Though he took the blow in this one, she will take the final one.

I want to share this because I know that some of you out there are bound to be in a relationship similar to this one. I was when I was in college, and I just keep thanking God that Hehelped me get out. There is a way out and the loneliness and fear of rejection is soo much better than having to deal with what C is dealing with right now. She feels guilty.She feels responsible. Her little boy may never speak to his daddy again. The last conversation she had with her husband will be one of anger with words that can't be taken back. She will loose the man she loves in a horrible horrible way.

All I can think is how different things could've been had she just walked away.

Please, please, please, if you are in a place like C, there is a way out and your life will not be over. Walk away.

There are so many things to address here it is nearly impossible to know where to begin. I'm sorry this happened and I really hope that something good comes out of it.

First and foremost, SHE IS IN NO WAY RESPONISIBLE FOR WHAT HAPPENED. She was abused and trying to get away...kudos to her for that. He CHOSE to jump on the car. (and I don't give a rat's ass about the whole "but he was drunk argument) He is the one who abused, not her. Sorry for saying this but it might be better for her little boy to never speak to his father again. This stuff runs in families which explains why she got into one. Everytime a person hits or screams at another, child learn that that is how you deal with things. C learned early on that violence=love. That cycle.must.be.stopped. It has been. He made his decisions.

C needs alot of therapy at this point. Thing is, at first, she might a strong and very loving hand to lead her there. Also, what kind of therapy. Two aspects are important: 1)Therapist who specializes in domestic violence and 2) The feminist model of psychotherapy. Call your local domestic violence shelter and ask about this. If you need help with in this area, let me know. I will look through my vast contacts and see if I can help. She needed this many years ago. There will be alot to cover and it will take a long time. Her little boy needs a therapist who deals in traumatized children. Seriously, this can't wait. It needs to be done yesterday. My guess from the info given is Battered Wife's Syndrome with maybe a little Stockholm.

soapbox.gif

Fab ones, 85% of women in abusive relationships go back (and I can provide a cite if you would like it). We need to give these women the support, love and resources to get out and stay out. They may not get another chance. I am just happy in this case, she lived.

LMcConnell18

this really is an unfortunate event for her and her son.
everything happens for a reason i believe, so maybe this is a blessing in disguise.
hopefully the situation gets better.
my thoughts are with "c" and her little boy.

miss holly j

UGH !

The unfortunate thing is im sure theres a few ladies on here in abusive relationships and are reading this thinking thats nothing like my story, he really loves me, it's my fault etc.

I know first hand about abusive relationships and the whole situation with the brain washing sucks. NOONE DESERVES TO HAVE ANY KIND OF ABUSE HAPPEN TO THEM !

I hope things get better for your friend.

dmenchi

Oh this is truly one of the worst stories i've heard. it is so scarry. thank you so much for sharing this with all of us! Best wishes for your friend and her family.

lobsteriffic

i know this is an old thread...but i just wanted to say that reading it brought tears to my eyes. i got into a huge fight with the b/f last night and let's just say i'm sitting here with bruised ribs and a sprained finger. stories like this give me courage to do what i know i should do and leave.

banjobama

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsteriffic
i know this is an old thread...but i just wanted to say that reading it brought tears to my eyes. i got into a huge fight with the b/f last night and let's just say i'm sitting here with bruised ribs and a sprained finger. stories like this give me courage to do what i know i should do and leave.

Do it. You will never regret it! There IS a man out there that will treat you like a queen, I promise!~

Beauty Mark

Leave him now if you haven't already. Get yourself to a safe place that'll help you. Whatever your fight was about didn't warrant you getting injured

Latest posts