Acne and Makeup - HELP!!

dolcedaniela

I have had somewhat mild outbreaks of acne, I need a long lasting foundation/powder that is not going to break me out and will cover all my acne and acne scars - I want to look flawless - as do most of us - but this is all very new to me and I don't know how to handle it. I desperately need a new makeup routine. Damn my sensitive, combination skin!

Long lasting Foundation = Flawless = Covers acne / scars / uneven skintone

PS I now see fine lines under my eyes - so I need even more help then i thought!

Love to anyone who can help me <3

shootout

Definitely do NOT use MAC, it only makes breakouts worse (IMO)
When I was having trouble with acne, I used Bare Minerals but applied it wet with an oil-free moisturizer for sensitive skin. Doesn't break me out, looks flawless, and covers everything.

bubbleys

I agree, don't use mac foundation if you have sensitive skin. However, I do use their concealer because it's the only thing that conceals for me. I use MUFE Matte Velvet Foundation and it's AMAZING. It's the only thing that doesn't break me out, and coverage is great.

ForgetRegret

I had the same problem with MAC foundations...except for face & body...I can get away with that one and my skin doesn't mind it. I use Revlon ColorStay for oily/combo skin, and it works great for giving me a flawless look that lasts ALL day (even through swimming 20 laps in the pool), without breaking me out. I've got lots of acne scarring myself, and I'm entirely too uncomfortable with my face to not wear foundation...so I understand your plight. GL hun, HTH!

hawaii02

I'm starting to realize that the Studio Powder is what breaks ME out too. I tried BE and didn't see anything noticeably different. Trying HD next. Do you prefer the powder foundations or does it matter??

nichollecaren

Revlon Colorstay and MaryKay are the only two foundations I have ever worn with no problems.

Prescriptives is good, i have heard, but they may be discontinued? not sure if i have this right.

dolcedaniela

Thanks everyone!

I used revlon colorstay from age 16 - 19 with absolutely no break outs or imperfections; my skin was perfect back then.
I went to makeup artistry school so my taste for higher end makeup started there. I upgraded from colorstay to MAC studio fix. Shortly after I had upgraded to brands like Dior, Chanel, Makeup Forever, Laura Mercier and Smashbox.
Colorstay seemed heavy and difficult to apply in comparison to a Dior foundation but colorstay did actually stay on and was pretty flawless in comparison - and not to mention Affordable!

I haven't even looked into the Matt velvet! ( I will now ) I wonder if HD Makeup forever can compare to revlon colorstay in terms of full coverage, long lasting effects - and zero break outs. I used to use face n body and I hadn't broken out at all.

I only broke out one ill faited day that I was low on cash, used old MAC powder instead of buying a new bottle of mufe - now my skin is sensitive and crazy. Blemishes, cystic acne types and deep scars. I can't leave the house without makeup either!

Nars loose powder never caused me to break out but perhaps I should use some bare minerals instead!

PS
when I apply my laura mercier foundation stick with NARS loose powder - I step one foot into day light and my face looks a MESSSS (blemishes, uneven skin, pores, wrinkles!) and when I use concealer then my face just looks spotchy and dried out.

I want to wear make up but I don't want it to look like I am!!!

dolcedaniela

I hope perscriptives hasn't been discontinued!! I think they still have one at holt renfrew!

I hope I find a foundation that doesnt break me out, makes me flawless all day long. I'm used to wearing liquid foundations, when I turned to stick foundation Blah that's in my last post.

I also like a powder that sets the foundation without making my face look powdery or cakey and maintain a bit of a glow.

I do also want to try to get a pressed powder or powder foundation to bring around with me so when I get a bit oily of my makeup fades a bit, I can touch up quickly! This is why I used to like Studio fx powder by MAC...

ladyJ

I have very acne-prone skin and I use MUFE. I use all three face & body, mat velvet, and HD. They all work well. Sometimes I use revlon. I def. recommend MUFE foundation though.

shatteredshards

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolcedaniela
I hope perscriptives hasn't been discontinued!! I think they still have one at holt renfrew!

They haven't been discontinued yet, but they have made an announcement that they're closing their counters after New Years and it sounds like most products will be discontinued.

Prescriptives | About Prescriptives

LMD84

i'm loving the revlon colour stay. i get breakouts and redness and this completely covers everything and lasts all day long.
thmbup.gif

Almond_Eyed

I use Bare Escentuals mineral makeup for my foundation right now, but I use L'oreal True Match Foundation if I want a liquid foundation. I have sensitive skin and I've never had a problem with it irritating my skin or clogging pores, I think it actually made my skin better! For a concealer I'm currently using MAC Select Moisturecover, I heard the StudioFinish Concealer is really thick and cakey.

HTH <3

MzzRach

MAC foundations, especially Studio Fix powder, break me out terribly.

I wear the following and do not have issues with them (but that being said, everyone's skin is different. Many people have no breakout issues at all with MAC foundations):

Liquids:

Revlon ColorStay - combo/oily formula
Make Up For Ever HD foundation
Giorgio Armania Matte Silk (this has been discontinued, though)

Minerals:

Neutrogena Mineral Sheers pressed powder foundation
Lauress Minimalist loose mineral foundation
glominerals pressed mineral foundation

Good luck on your search.
winkiss.gif

InspiredBlue

My tip is the same as shootout's - try mineral foundation. BM isn't necessarily the best, but it's the most accessible, so it's a good place to start. Personally I recently switched over to Meow Cosmetics, because they have a better color match for me than BM does. They also offer a formula that gives heavier coverage.
I stopped wearing liquid/cream foundations completely a few years ago, and now simply the thought of slathering on some sticky product feels heavy.

ShadyPink

I have uneven toned, oily, acne prone skin with huge pores and redness in my cheeks. SF Powder mildly breaks me out too, but I'm a sucker for that great coverage so I try to use it only when I feel like I NEED it.

After using MUFE HD foundation and not liking how oily I was throughout the day, I read the raves about the Revlon Colorstay and decided to give it a try. Its been a few weeks now and I am loving it! Great coverage, unbelievable staying power, & it stays matte for a long time. The only problems I've had with it are that it seems to dry quickly so you have to work fast when applying. Also, without a primer, it tended to enhance my large pores (ew!), while the MUFE HD minimized them. Sooo basically IMO...

Revlon CS- Great coverage, matte finish, long lasting
MUFE HD- Great coverage, dewy finish, pore minimizing

FiestyFemme

I agree with trying mineral foundation! I love Aromaleigh. Their Glissade formula is medium-full coverage and makes my skin look flawless. My skin is super acne prone, and while I don't break out much anymore, I have a lot to hide from old breakouts. Love this stuff!

Simply Elegant

If you want really flawless makeup and need coverage you might want to setting your makeup with powder foundation. It might feel heavy though. My HGs are mommy makeup mineral powder foundation and MUFE mat velvet. Id try applying it with a powder brush though to set. Kabuki brushes are good for applying liquids for an airbrushed flawless finish.

dolcedaniela

girl...

i tried that bareminerals thanks to some incompetent sephora girls...
I now have FULL ON ACNE, this product is the most terrible thing I have ever put on my face. Sadly, I know this is not just a coincidence because my sister bought the same bareminerals as me, and used it as well and is now having the same problem. In less then a week of using bareminerals, I have 15 - 20 new blemishes including the painful cystic kind.

I really don't think it's safe makeup.. damn gimmicks

Latest posts