Acrylic Painters!

Neophyte

I just invested in some paints, brushes, etc. I decided to pick this hobby up.

Please give me your tips, tricks, etc!
smiles.gif

so_siqqq

I do graffiti/stencil art and sometimes I like to use acrylic paint to stencil on clothing. All you need is a textile medium (any art supply store has it).

The basic mixture is 2/3 acrylic paint and 1/3 textile medium. Though it may depend on the brand of textile medium you use. As for brushes a stenciling brush is good (It's a brush with synthetic brushes and the end of the bristles are flat) or a sponged brush or roller.

The key to using acrylic paint and stenciling with paint on fabric is to dab the paint onto the fabric. And it takes a lot of layers for light colors (i.e white) to show up on dark fabrics.

That's pretty much it. Even though this is not acrylic painting stenciling is wicked fun.

Eye<3Colour

i paint on canvas, but im not very good at it so i have no advice to give!! sorry. i just splatter and blend n shiat!! have fun!! i found other things to do with canvas, im making 3D art with it, i cant wait till its finished!!

moonrevel

I'm of little help, because I do sort of "abstract" (meaning I do not have a single non-makeup related artistic bone in my body) paintings with oil paints. My boyfriend got me into painting and he likes oils, so I just do oils and haven't ever worked with acrylics. I basically cover my apartment in trash bags and newspaper and start mixing colors and blobbing the paint on the canvas.

visivo

I am an oil girl, because I love that it doesnt dry right away so you can constantly change it. Not that you cannot change acrylics, but that is just adding more paint, instead of manipulating what's there. I like the texture of oils too.

Boy, however, loves acrylics. He likes that they are light and have brighter colors. He layers a lot, and for white areas, he leaves the canvas to peek through and then adds dimension with more shades of white, but thats a good trick. They are easy to blend, and dry quickly. I suggest starting just like you would with watercolor -- your base, then build up. I can ask him more specifics, and tips perhaps. Have fun!

Latest posts