Additional questions about Photoshop

veilchen

Hello lovelies!

I'm only just beginning to discover Photoshop and have read all the other threads about it, but I still feel stupid. There are some more questions I'd like to ask, as I have pics I'd like to edit. Unfortunately, I had no makeup on because my dad, who took the pics before the party, had to hasten away again.

Is it possible, and how if it is, to

* make lashes look thicker (like they're tightlined or have mascara on)
* "apply" blush or lipstick so that it doesn't look fake
* get rid of an oily sheen on the face
* cut out my figure and place before a neutral background (are there models for his in photoshop itself?)

I would be so so grateful for any tips or advice as I'd love to give the pics nicely framed to my parents and grandparents as additional X-Mas presents. But I feel I'm hopeless when it comes to such skills!

TIA!!

Ambi

I use the burn tool to "darken my liner", my camera tends to wash me out a little no matter what so a few light strokes with the burn tool over my liner/lashline makes a huge difference and looks very natural [use a low opacity like 50% or so].

veilchen

Thanks a lot for the advice, Ambi! I just tried it and it works really well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
I recommend googling photoshop tutorials.

I already did that and found lots and lots of sites, but for a mere beginner the explanations are sometimes difficult to follow. I think I'll be able to handle the lip and eye thing, but I've found no hint whatsoever how to get rid of shining skin (tried to blur but this didn't help much).

Also, for example, about cutting out a figure - I managed to do that with the lasso thing, but when it says "drag into new background layer" I have no idea how to do that. How do I create a new layer with a specific background and get my figure into that? That's what the tutorials miss ...

Shimmer

use the lasso (right click and select the magnetic one for a more precise line) to select your item
press ctrl+c

open the picture you want to use as the back ground then press CTRL+V

Also, on the right side of the screen you should have several tool palettes. One of them should have tabs that say "Layers" "Channels" and "Paths". On that palette there is a toolbar at the bottom. On the right side of that tool bar is a trash can icon. The icon immediately LEFT of that one makes a new layer in the active project. When you click on it, it'll add an empty layer on top of what you're working on.

Another option you might consider is, since you're a novice, finding a copy of "Photoshop for Dummies" to get your hands on.
smiles.gif

As far as shining skin, I'd really have to see what you're talking about to tell you how to fix it.

Hope this helps.
smiles.gif

veilchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Another option you might consider is, since you're a novice, finding a copy of "Photoshop for Dummies" to get your hands on.
smiles.gif

haha, yes exactly, I should search for Photoshop plus Dummies!!

Thanks so much for the other hints, will try them out directly when I get home! I'll have to open a seperate pic for the background ... duh, I'm so silly, I could have thought of that
winks.gif

Thanks again for your advice!!

Shimmer

well, you can put the new background into the original picture but it's much easier the way I suggested, given your experience level.

Latest posts