Advice about my future...

jennyfee

Hey Friends!
smiles.gif

I'm in a big dilemma here... Might be long!!

I'm 20 years old, still leaving at my parent's, and starting out my 2nd year of uni, with 2 more to go after that...

I really want to move out, but I'm wondering what would be the best way to do it...

I made a budget, and I could afford to live in an apartment. I know it would be cheaper to have roommates, but somehow I'm really repulsed by the idea of sharing everything, especially since I have looooaads of stuff for my future apartment (think fully equiped kitchen, etc). I would love to have a place of my own, but is that unrealistic?

I know I also have the option of living at the uni dorms, but I'm not sure how to feel about the communal kitchens and bathrooms...

I know I could also rent a room somewhere, but that also feels like not having my own place... Like living at someone else's place.

I don't have a boyfriend, so I don't have someone to start out with.

I would like to move out next summer, and by that time I will have all of my tuition money saved up, so I wouldn't have to worry about that.

What did you guys do when you first moved out? What kind of advice can you guys give me??

Thanks for reading this, you always have great things to say!!
smiles.gif

Love, J. xxx
heart.gif

malaviKat

I moved out for the first time during my first year of university and I lived in my uni's residence for a year. I did it solely for the experience - I had no need to live outside of my parents' home. I knew that after that year I would move back home (and I did). I had no say in who my roommates were; the university handled the details. It was not the greatest experience (roommate wise), but I think it's important to have that experience nonetheless.

I moved out for the second time just after I started grad school. At that point, I found commuting was becoming onerous and I wanted to be closer to school so that I could be afforded the freedom of coming and going on my own schedule. I had a boyfriend (and could have chosen to live with him had I wanted to), but we both thought it would be better for me to live with roommates and come to terms with living on my own for a while. Since we had been together for a few years and planned to live together in the future, it seemed logical that I move in with roommates at that point, so I did. One of the girls was also in my program, and the other was a friend she'd had for years. All in all, it was a much more positive experience. The girls I lived with were lovely, but no roommate situation (whether it is a significant other, best friend, parent or whomever else) is entirely without friction. :p

After a year, I moved home temporarily (just to get all of my stuff organized and in one place again) and then my boyfriend and I moved into a condo.

So... what can I say?

Well, I think it's great that you're saving from an early point. I've been saving since I was in high school and I think that really helps create options for you. Having said that, I think having roommates teaches you a lot about yourself. :p

As far as university dorms go, the communal bathroom/kitchen issue depends on the style of community residences. In my case, the residences were townhouses, so the bathroom was only shared between 4 girls. That isn't the worst thing in the world if you're all adult about it. A similar scenario would arise if you had roommates or you rented a room elsewhere.

I don't think it's completely unrealistic to live on your own if you're twenty, especially if you budget for it. However, in my opinion, a budget should be able to carry you beyond just your day to day living expenses. It should also allow you to continue saving money. (That's just my opinion.) Plus, roommates can be kind of fun. Coming home to no one can get a little depressing, depending on who you are.

That said, if you absolutely can't/don't want to live with anyone else, and you can afford to live on your own... go for it!

gildedangel

If you hate sharing things with strangers and you can afford it then do it! I currently live in my university's dorms since I am an out-of-state who moves home every summer and this is my second year. I have a private room but share a bathroom with one other girl, not too bad! She is very clean, unlike my last roommate. Anyway, I say go for it!

Latest posts