Advice On Retail Experience?

JGunnar

My dream is to make a career working for MAC. To start at a counter and work my way around to different areas.

I thought it would be great to start at a different cosmetic counter to gain some experience since I don't have much, but I applied at quite a few department stores and while they said they admired my passion and what I can do they're concerned about me not having proper retail experience and don't think I'm ready for the world of cosmetics. Other managers have said I don't have enough experience to work a standard reigster selling clothing.

I've done plenty of "customer service" working for years at a very large retirement center and I've done retail such as working at Target and Sears (I didn't stay very long at either of those and am not elgible for rehire. Little did I know as a young teenager that those jobs would have paid off).

What could I look into that would be beneficial to my future? Would it be considered decent experience if I worked somewhere like a deli or a resturaunt or do I HAVE to get in somewhere where I'm pushing sales and making commission?

Advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm feeling very confused now.
th_worship.gif

MisStarrlight

I've worked customer service & mostly resturant/deli/convenience store & that didn't count for anything when I went to get a "real" retail job. you don't have to be making commission, but working somewhere more sales oriented, where you have goals & you have to convince people to buy junk would be much better. Even a month at an entry level position is better than nothing. Hit the malls and Good luck.

MACGoddess

Huh... I applied and was accepted to work in a MAC freestanding store, not even a counter, and I have no retail experience! I suppose it somewhat depends on who the manager of the counter/store is...

brandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACGoddess
Huh... I applied and was accepted to work in a MAC freestanding store, not even a counter, and I have no retail experience! I suppose it somewhat depends on who the manager of the counter/store is...

so do you think i can get hired if i'm a manager at a store? i deal with everything you could possibly imagine... i always hear about needing retail exerience... ugh... isnt amazing makeup enough it should be!

MACGoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandi
so do you think i can get hired if i'm a manager at a store? i deal with everything you could possibly imagine... i always hear about needing retail exerience... ugh... isnt amazing makeup enough it should be!

I really don't see why not Brandi! I mean you had to work your way up as well, so if you have great makeup skills, I would think that being a manager right now would be a great thing!

brandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACGoddess
I really don't see why not Brandi! I mean you had to work your way up as well, so if you have great makeup skills, I would think that being a manager right now would be a great thing!

thanks a lot... it's really good to know that someone with no retail or makeup experience is working at MAC! you are very motivating! i cant wait.... thanks again!

MACGoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandi
thanks a lot... it's really good to know that someone with no retail or makeup experience is working at MAC! you are very motivating! i cant wait.... thanks again!

YAYAY!! I helped!! lol

But seriously, try to apply and see what happens, I know every MAC is different, but it never hurts to try. I would suggest including some portfolio pics too, so that they can see your "work" before they talk to you. I think that makes it stand out that much more...

PM me if you ever need any help my dear!

shabdebaz

I also had very little retail experience, but got hired at MAC. I think every manager is different in what they put emphasis on in hiring a candidate. I had one of the regional trainers here tell me that "you can always train the makeup skills, but you can't train the attitude". I think that's what got me in the door, really. I happened to apply and happened to get the job. I think I was very enthusiastic and passionate about makeup artistry during the whole interviewing process. It also helps A LOT if you fit the whole "MAC image" thing.

Piaqua

I posted this on another thread, but I think it would help you too
smiles.gif

I wouldn't worry too much about retail experience. I talked to my MAC manager about this, and this was her reply (mind you, all managers are different). To her, knowledge of the products, enthusiam for MAC and your job, as well as just being a friendly and upbeat person are what really impress her. You could work in retail for years, but if you barely know MAC, are a complete b****, or seem like you would just be blah (you know what I mean?) while on the job, retail experience is worthless. I would just really stress when you apply that you really love MAC, show your knowledge of it, and be super enthusiastic (well not like scary excited, but you know what I mean). Its easy to tell when someone loves their job or not, make sure she (or if the manager is a he make sure he sees) that you honestly will love your job. Good luck

brandi

thanks i know that specktra is the best thing that ever happened! along with MAC! ehehehe no one understands me when i shop! as for you MACGoddess! thanks i will pm you if anything comes up.... i was referred from one of my fave MA's so hopefully that helps me get in too! i've been holding my app. for a while now because i'm afraid of rejection.... lolz... i know very stupid... and thanks to everyone else! sorry JGunnar if i overtook this thread! but i will be applying soon very soon as long as i get everything together first...
smiles.gif

Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piaqua
I posted this on another thread, but I think it would help you too
smiles.gif

I wouldn't worry too much about retail experience. I talked to my MAC manager about this, and this was her reply (mind you, all managers are different). To her, knowledge of the products, enthusiam for MAC and your job, as well as just being a friendly and upbeat person are what really impress her. You could work in retail for years, but if you barely know MAC, are a complete b****, or seem like you would just be blah (you know what I mean?) while on the job, retail experience is worthless. I would just really stress when you apply that you really love MAC, show your knowledge of it, and be super enthusiastic (well not like scary excited, but you know what I mean). Its easy to tell when someone loves their job or not, make sure she (or if the manager is a he make sure he sees) that you honestly will love your job. Good luck

I wish thats what it was like in the UK, cause to be honest I think the points you said are much more important.

MisStarrlight

I didn't mean to imply that you needed retail experience for MAC, just answering your what is retail question. I got hired for freelance after having only 2 weeks real retail.
As Piaqua said, it really helps to have MAC product knowledge. I was able to talk about products, colors & all the programs....having a strong art background really helps too-colors, blending & obviously, with creativity.

JGunnar

Thanks for the replies. We only have two MAC counters here and they're both overstaffed. That's why I wanted to start off at any random counter the HR from the department store stuck me at to gain experience for when I move to a larger city with more MAC selections. So the HR are the ones that told me I need proper retail experience, not MAC.
ssad.gif

I really wish I could get away with working a part time job making $5.15 right now because there are a few new clothing stores opening in the mall and there were hiring signs everywhere. I'm sure that would probably be beneficial. I guess I'll try again in the fall when I go back to school.

Piaqua

Really! That stinks, I interviewed to work at the cosmetics counter in a dept store (the girls working there actually pushed me to do it). A few girls were leaving and they needed to fill the spots. Of course the day I apply, the HR manager had just filled the spots! Boo! However, she said she'd keep my app on file, and candidly told me that she wished I had applied sooner. I don't have retail experience (only worked in a grocery store), but she said my attitude and passion for make-up really stuck out to her, and she though I really would have done well. Maybe we just have super nice managers around here or something?

giz2000

I applied with no retail experience at all, just a love of the line...during my interview with the Regional Manager, we spoke for about 5 minutes about MAC, and then about 25 minutes about everything else under the sun....I got hired on the spot.

That being said (and from my personal experience), one of the best ways to get into a counter is to become a freelancer. I get offers for permanent positions almost every other week at the three counters I rotate between. Right now, my life is such that I need extreme flexibility and can only work very part-time. If that were not the case, you'd better believe I would have jumped on a perm position a long time ago (I miss that 60% discount and going to Update!).

Things that help (and get noticed): stay busy, even if you're cleaning the counter for the 50th time that day...be helpful to the counter staff -when they are done with an application, ask if there is something you can clean up for them, put back, etc....do things without being asked (jump in and clean brushes, shave lipsticks, etc)....try to get along with everyone - easier said than done, but counter staff input is taken into consideration when there are permanent positions available...always be on time, come back from breaks on time, etc. and, believe it or not, if you cannot take a shift, call the manager and let them know. Sure, they call a bunch of freelancers for the same shifts and the first one who calls back usually gets the shift, but calling and telling them you can't work show professionalism and consideration. Believe me, you'll keep getting called for shifts.

brandi

thanks! i am going to apply very very soon! i have no retail experience what so ever but I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MAC! i went there three days in a row already this week! hahaha oh well... i almost know everything about MAC stuff that some of their staff doesnt even know... soo wish me luck!

JGunnar

With you guys' encouragement I think I'm just going to go straight for MAC and not bother with all of the other nonsense. I feel I still have some work to do on my technique and application so I want to work on that a little while longer. In the meantime I'm just going to work on developing a relationship with the girls at the counter and the manager. Show up constantly with hot makeup and eventually just apply.
smiles.gif

brandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGunnar
With you guys' encouragement I think I'm just going to go straight for MAC and not bother with all of the other nonsense. I feel I still have some work to do on my technique and application so I want to work on that a little while longer. In the meantime I'm just going to work on developing a relationship with the girls at the counter and the manager. Show up constantly with hot makeup and eventually just apply.
smiles.gif

thats what i do!!! talk to the girls at the counter n go w/ makeup...
smiles.gif
go for it!!!!!!!!

koolmnbv

I agree work your MU and your friendliness and product knowledge! And actually ask who the manager is and try to get him or her to help you w. your purchases etc. That way they will actually know who you are as well as the rest of the Artist/ staff.