Advice please!!

glamdoll

So today I had an interview w/ the cosmetics manager at Macy's and she said she wanted me to interview for Benefit. I did a bit of online reaserch on the brand since I dont know much about it, but has anyone worked for them? what can I expect in the interview? also what is their dress code?

She said that I can also interview at Origins but I dont know much of them either.

Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated! thanks
smiles.gif

pinkhandgrenade

The only thing I can tell you about the Benefit interview is that it might involve a demo--as in, grab a customer and try to sell them something. The Benefit managers in SD were constantly trying to get me to work for them they told me that's all I had to do--they knew I could apply makeup, but can I sell?

As for Origins, I have NO CLUE. Their products are not tested on animals and they now have an organic line?

glamdoll

Thank you so much! Wow, yeah Im gonna stress over the selling
ssad.gif
I have an idea of what I would do, but still I wanna work at a counter! Origins had a permanent position, but being the silly head I am, I chose benefit, not knowing that the Origins manager had seen me all through the interview and liked me
ssad.gif

Thanks for your reply pinkhandgrenade
smiles.gif

calbear

What I do know about Benefit is only from casual chit chat working across from them. They have to 'pull' customers constantly - in many locations they do now have the built in clientele that som major lines have so the MA's would have to stop people walking by and convince them to allow them to do a demo to sell the product. One counter manager that I talked to said when she started at that location - they only pulled in $1500 a week, which makes for a slow boring day. It was a mall full of people who had never heard of Benefit so her job was hard. It is not like that everywhere but just her experience at that location. HTH

glamdoll

Thanks Calbear!

The cosmetics manager told me that it was aggressive selling for Benefit. I cant believe I didnt take the permanent spot for Origins! ugh! there was another girl who interviewed w/ them, that would have been me. Oh well.

Maybe a temp job would still be good.

I still havent gone to the interview and Im trying to find out as much as I can about Benefit.

I dont know their dress code, or anything. But Im gonna drop by the counter and just have a look around.

Thanks everyone!! If you guys have more advice I would appreciate it!

glamdoll

Well the manager hired me for "On Call" Cosmetics. Im not sure if I will actually get to work at a certain counter or just fill in for people, she said she wanted me to work w/ her in cosmetics, but no position was available so she gave me on call. However she also said I would have a regular schedule so I dont understand. I think I might be roving around from counter to counter, but I just want some makeup experience for my resume.

Im confused.

Ambonee

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamdoll
Well the manager hired me for "On Call" Cosmetics. Im not sure if I will actually get to work at a certain counter or just fill in for people, she said she wanted me to work w/ her in cosmetics, but no position was available so she gave me on call. However she also said I would have a regular schedule so I dont understand. I think I might be roving around from counter to counter, but I just want some makeup experience for my resume.

Im confused.

That's how I started :yes: I worked at every cosmetics counter at my Macy*s including fragrances (which btw I liked the best) I was on-call about 4 months and then became counter manager for Chanel (hated that lol) now I'm freelancing for MAC
greengrin.gif
and I LOVE it!! I got a lot of experience and learned A LOT about each line--still love MAC best! I also made a bunch of friends! Just have fun and do your best and you'll be fine! If you have any ??'s you can PM me.
smiles.gif

glamdoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambonee
That's how I started :yes: I worked at every cosmetics counter at my Macy*s including fragrances (which btw I liked the best) I was on-call about 4 months and then became counter manager for Chanel (hated that lol) now I'm freelancing for MAC
greengrin.gif
and I LOVE it!! I got a lot of experience and learned A LOT about each line--still love MAC best! I also made a bunch of friends! Just have fun and do your best and you'll be fine! If you have any ??'s you can PM me.
smiles.gif

Really?? that sounds really exciting! I go in for paperwork tomorrow and then start my training on tuesday. Im "on call" but she said that I would have a regular schedule so thats what I didnt understand. I want to get experience before I apply to MAC thank you so much for the info and I will def. message you if I have any more ??! thanks
smiles.gif