after the baby is born....?

dmenchi

We are all aware of the physical issues of pregnant women, but what happens to your body after the baby is born? I was reading an article in Glamour /march07 about issues with bladder control, bigger feet, breast changes....and they were permanent! So maybe some of u ladies won't mind sharing your stories & clue me into the realities of motherhood
smiles.gif

*Stargazer*

Depends. On a lot of things like genetics, type of birth etc.

I've had two c-sections and will have my third in July. I have no major physical changes to my body other than the giant knockers I've been gifted with. Which were large-ish to begin with. But my nipples are larger from the pregnancies. That won't go away without corrective surgery that I won't be having until I'm done having children.

Because I didn't deliver either of my girls vaginally, I was able to avoid any bladder issues or any issues pertaining to any of my plumbing. But I have a permanent scar and a permanent weird numb/squishy feeling where my c-sections were performed. Fortunately, the scar issues are really non-issues cause they don't bother me unless I poke myself repeatedly in the scar area.

My feet haven't gotten any larger than they were the day I conceived my first, but my eyesight has gotten worse. Now that could be pregnancy or just passage of time.

I've been fortunate, I think, because while pregnancy does take a toll on the body, I've managed to avoid most of the really horrendous things that can happen. There aren't many things you can control, but I think going into a pregnancy in good shape can sometimes hedge your bets a bit.

pumpkincat210

I got a horrid case of stretch marks with my second child that weighed 9 pounds. but that was 3 years ago and they have faded alot. My shoe size never changed thankfully. As for my breasts, before having kids i was a C now i'm a D. hey are also a little saggier, but not unnatractive. I blame that on my age though and their size, lol.
All in all, the benefits of being a mother outweigh the physical changes.

Shimmer

The worst thing I dealt with as a result of my 3 sections is that my lower transverse abdominis is a bitch to keep toned. I think a large part of that is due to getting pregnant fairly young with all three of mine.

pumpkincat210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
The worst thing I dealt with as a result of my 3 sections is that my lower transverse abdominis is a bitch to keep toned. I think a large part of that is due to getting pregnant fairly young with all three of mine.

I have 3 too and had em young.

dmenchi

Quote:

I always thought if one has children when they are younger stuff 'pops' back to normanl faster...well, i'm still learning about this whole baby-thing!
smiles.gif

pumpkincat210

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmenchi
I always thought if one has children when they are younger stuff 'pops' back to normanl faster...well, i'm still learning about this whole baby-thing!
smiles.gif

Oh it definately does! Not saying you won't have to do some excersizes, but you'll notice the least changes having them young.

Shimmer

honestly, the best way to "not lose your figure" after the baby is to not lose it while pregnant.
Don't starve yourself or anything but really, that whole "30 to 35 lb gain" is there for a reason. Of course, in the case of over/underweight women it would definitely be modified but generally speaking...

*Stargazer*

Quote:

I think it depends on your doctor as well. My first section was a miserable, craptastic job done by a military doctor. It was crooked and left me with a pooch. The OB I had with my second daughter was shocked when she saw it and promised to rectify it when she delivered my second daughter. She did, straightening it out and tightening my skin and muscles when she sewed me up. I am eternally grateful to her for pointing out that it didn't have to be the way it was. Now I know to bring it up with my OBs in the future.

And amen to what Shimmer says about weight gain during pregnancy. It is much easier to get back into shape when you lose most of the weight you've gained simply by giving birth.

Shimmer

Yeahhhh.
The military doctor I had hacked me up pretty badly, but I got it mostly fixed. It could be (and was) a LOT worse than it is now.

One thing about sections...ask for an enema first. I've gone thru this personally and professionally, my first two with my third without and yeah, it makes a HUGE difference in the healtime and just how you FEEL after the surgery.

Shimmer

Sure. It's the spasm of those muscles and the fact you probably have some adhesions (not a lot, but some).

*Stargazer*

Quote:
Yeahhhh.
The military doctor I had hacked me up pretty badly, but I got it mostly fixed. It could be (and was) a LOT worse than it is now.

One thing about sections...ask for an enema first. I've gone thru this personally and professionally, my first two with my third without and yeah, it makes a HUGE difference in the healtime and just how you FEEL after the surgery.

I get so pissed when I think back to my first c-section. I will never again deliver in a military facility. What a terrible experience, from start to finish.

An enema? Really? Haven't had one with either, but then I've never had any issues with that "region" after either of my sections. Do tell.

*Stargazer*

Quote:
Sure. It's the spasm of those muscles and the fact you probably have some adhesions (not a lot, but some).

Yep, I think you're right. It's worse than usual right now because I'm having round ligament issues as well, so I even have trouble rolling over at night. But honestly, that's my worst complaint with this baby so I am exceedingly grateful.

glamdoll

I just had my son last july. Im 18 and Im finding it hard to get back into shape. Mostly its because I get so exausted from watching him and cleaning and homework that I dont work out!
I was a size 5 and still am a size 5 but it fits a bit tighter!

I had him normally and have ALOT of strecth marks in my belly.
I used cocoa butter but it didnt help out at all.
ssad.gif

but its true if were fairly young we still have a long time to get our bodies back.

pumpkincat210

I found it very surprising that after you have your baby, you have a long 3-6 week period as your uterus goes back to its small size.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug10678
I get so pissed when I think back to my first c-section. I will never again deliver in a military facility. What a terrible experience, from start to finish.

An enema? Really? Haven't had one with either, but then I've never had any issues with that "region" after either of my sections. Do tell.

Yeah, an enema. Completely clears the bowels (as well as an enema can/does) and cuts down on gas.

Even though you're not supposed to eat midnight before the surgery, you'd be surprised the number of women who wait til 1145 and chow down, then 3 hours after surgery need to poop. THAT'S NOT FUN!

It really did help, for me, with the whole standing and moving about thing.
I nearly DIED having Braden. It still pisses me off...because it was NEEDLESS.
I'm going to say this to all of y'all:

You're the patient. YOU ARE IN CONTROL OF YOUR HEALTHCARE AS LONG AS YOU ARE NOT ENDANGERING YOURSELF OR YOUR CHILD.
YOU have the right to tell your anesthetist you want an epidural, or if you prefer, a spinal block.
YOU have the right to tell the nurses they are NOT catheterizing you without pain meds. That shit is needlessly uncomfortable on you and you know what? IT CAN WAIT TIL YOU'RE IN THE O.R.
YOU have the right to tell the CRNA that you aren't comfortable with her service, or a nurse.
YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO MAKE DECISIONS WITH REGARD TO YOUR HEALTHCARE.
NEVER forget that.

aeni

I've never had a baby yet, but one of my sisters in law had 2 daughters and went up 2 shoe sizes but lost all the weight. My other sister in law lost all the weight and never went up in shoe size. When my mom had me, she went up a shoe size. All 3 of these women were in their late 30s when they had children too.

*Stargazer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat210
I found it very surprising that after you have your baby, you have a long 3-6 week period as your uterus goes back to its small size.

Yup. That is another pro to breastfeeding. It releases hormones that tell your uterus to contract to a smaller size.

I can't say enough how right Shimmer is about your rights as a patient. When I think back to my first, I get so pissed off as well. I feel strongly that I was bullied into decisions I would not have made had I been in my right frame of mind (husband was deployed to Iraq, daughter was born the day the war started). I didn't realize until I had my second daughter, at a private hospital, that child birth shouldn't be a miserable, horrible, coercive experience conducted by medical staff that condescend to you, the patient. Educate yourself and surround yourself by people who will stand up for you and childbirth can be a pleasant (if painful physically) experience.

*Stargazer*

Quote:
Yeah, an enema. Completely clears the bowels (as well as an enema can/does) and cuts down on gas.

Even though you're not supposed to eat midnight before the surgery, you'd be surprised the number of women who wait til 1145 and chow down, then 3 hours after surgery need to poop. THAT'S NOT FUN!

In those last few days of my pregnancies, I'm pretty much living on slurpees and milkshakes, so I bet that's why I haven't had any issues. I can't even abide the thought of solid food at that point LOL. I do remember the bastards at the Naval Hospital telling me I couldn't eat after my section until I passed gas. They brought me nothing but broth made with powder for THREE days. I had my family sneak food in after the first 24 hours. I couldn't take it anymore. I can feel my blood pressure rising just thinking about that experience LOL

Latest posts