All about ACNE

vc1079

^ Im so jealous that Shiseido Pureness is working for you!!! i got the entire 3 step line.. but unfortunately i had a severe allergic reaction to that! i wanted it to work SO baddd

Nicala

I tried the entire line a few years ago. I really like it. That sucks that it didn't work out for you
ssad.gif
. Was it any specific product or everything in the line?

katred

Specktra Bestie
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD84
i use the cream all over my forehead each night. the only downside is that it bleaches the colour out of things.

Does the product contain hydroquinone? That's a bleaching agent (in this case, it would get rid of problems in deeper layers of skin and "force" any tissues clogging your pores to be exfoliated). The other ingredient that might be responsible is retinol, which is in a lot of acne creams and which will also have a bleaching effect.

One cautionary note- Both of these ingredients will make your skin more sensitive to sunlight, so you need to be more cautious than usual about applying sunscreen.

coachkitten

Can anyone advise what to do to help chin breakouts? My skin is clear every single place but my chin. It is really frustrating. I am thinking about going to see a dermatologist but I wondered if you all had any advice. TIA!

moonlit

my acne is harmonal and currently i look shitty.. so depressing.. I am taking antibiotics to clear them up.. such a pain in the a##

Cant wait to see my dermatologist.. I wish I could go back to diane 35 but it messed with my period . for the first time in my life I saw how beautiful I looked without acne

monter

Speaking of Zinc a few posts up, and hormonal acne... I've had MAJOR luck with supplements too. I started taking Genuine Health's Multi+Daily Glow multivitamin along with Perfect Skin. I've been taking them religiously for about a week and a half now, and I've seen SO MUCH improvement. A lot of the redness is gone from my face (I'm usually very very red in the cheeks and nose), dark marks from old acne are fading, current breakouts are healing very quickly, and new breakouts are much less common.

The first week or so was bad - I think I was purging - but I stuck it out and I'm glad I did, because my skin looks a LOT better now.

I'm not sure if my acne is hormonal. It's all along my jawline, and my derm said that that is usually hormonal, but I'm on Seasonale, so I only get my period four times a year - and I break out pretty much constantly. It doesn't get worse around the time of my period. Whatever was wrong, these supplements fixed it!
greengrin.gif

Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachkitten
Can anyone advise what to do to help chin breakouts? My skin is clear every single place but my chin. It is really frustrating. I am thinking about going to see a dermatologist but I wondered if you all had any advice. TIA!

Its probably hormonal. Anything along the chin & jawline usually is - especially around the time you ovulate up to your actual cycle. I had this same problem reeeeeeally bad. I went to a derm and they prescribed Spironolactin (blocks androgen receptors in the body, preventing cells from absorbing androgen hormones - ie. the cause of female hormonal acne & limits hormonal fluctuations that may contribute to acne breakouts. Hormones, specifically androgens, have been linked to the development of acne) and I also take Minocycline (a tetracycline antibiotic for acne). It helps - my skin is insanely clear and super soft.

I use Neutrogena Grapefruit Gel Cleanser and MAC Volcanic Ash Exfoliater when I wake up and have a shower. I use the Neutrogena only to wash my face after work (but I wipe off the excess make-up with Huggies Babywipes in the Cucumber Green Tea scent first).

I was also prescribed Stieva-A topical cream. Its a Tretinoin night cream that is applied all over the acne prone areas and is washed off when you get up in the morning. Its best used overnight because the chemical properties make you prone to severe sunburn. It should also be used with a high SPF sunscreen to prevent peeling.

I have to be very vigilant with my skin regimen now. Its a pain in the ass and I hate having to take antibiotics, but its easier on my body than taking another course of Accutane.

I vouche for the VAE though! Its incredible! I need to stock up at the next warehouse sale!

I also use Mario Badescu Drying Lotion on the break outs during the day when I'm home, but I haven't noticed a significant improvement with it.

TangoMango

I'm hoping someone can help me out with my problems with acne on my chest and back. I've stopped taking my birth control pills and since then, I've been getting acne on my back and chest, but everywhere else on my body is fine. I know that it's not from my shampoo or conditioner because I wash my hair bent over the tub and underneath the faucet, instead of in the shower. I'm wondering if it's my soap and body lotion? I'm starting to not put any lotion on that area to see if it is my lotion.

Do you have any product suggestions that will help clear it up? Also, I read up above and a few of you have been taking supplements and I'm wondering if those will help too. I already take Biotin and Vitamin D on a daily basis so I don't mind adding more vitamins to my regimen.

Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoMango
I'm hoping someone can help me out with my problems with acne on my chest and back. I've stopped taking my birth control pills and since then, I've been getting acne on my back and chest, but everywhere else on my body is fine. I know that it's not from my shampoo or conditioner because I wash my hair bent over the tub and underneath the faucet, instead of in the shower. I'm wondering if it's my soap and body lotion? I'm starting to not put any lotion on that area to see if it is my lotion.

Do you have any product suggestions that will help clear it up? Also, I read up above and a few of you have been taking supplements and I'm wondering if those will help too. I already take Biotin and Vitamin D on a daily basis so I don't mind adding more vitamins to my regimen.

Have you tried Panoxyl? They have a bar soap for the body - it has Benzoyl Peroxide 5% in it. That might help - it dries out the acne. However, if you have darker skin, you might want to be careful as it has skin lightening/bleaching properties. You can get it at Shoppers Drug Mart.

TangoMango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie
Have you tried Panoxyl? They have a bar soap for the body - it has Benzoyl Peroxide 5% in it. That might help - it dries out the acne. However, if you have darker skin, you might want to be careful as it has skin lightening/bleaching properties. You can get it at Shoppers Drug Mart.

Ooo, I'll definitely try it out! I'm an NC45, so I do have darker skin, so I'll have to be careful, but clearing this acne up is way more important.

Junkie

Quote:
Ooo, I'll definitely try it out! I'm an NC45, so I do have darker skin, so I'll have to be careful, but clearing this acne up is way more important.

smiles.gif
Glad to help. Have you tried changing your sheets, pillow cases and blankets regularly too? I know that pillowcases can be horrible breeding grounds for germs (drooling, sweat and so forth) for the face....same for bedding. Try changing to an all natural detergent too - Biolife makes some good ones.

I also know that all natural fibers in your clothing make a difference (cotton, silk, etc) - they allow the skin to breathe and wick away the moisture from your skin. Synthetic materials (man-made, ie. plastics) don't do this (such as polyester, nylon, etc) - they make you sweat more and trap it on your skin.

Lebellabeauty

You guys should try Pure Coconut Oil for acne. I had been reading a lot of great reviews about people that use coconut oil to clear their skin so I decided to try it because I've struggled with acne for a long time and it really has been helping my skin out a lot and the oil is really good for you!!
Heres what I do:

Take 1-2 teaspoons of coconut oil orally so it works from the inside out. Mix it with some kind of drink or something.

Then every night after I wash your face, I rub a small amount of the oil on my face and massage it in then I rinse it off.

Coconut oil is one of the best oils for people to take.

katred

Specktra Bestie
Quote:

Just to add to what's already been said, make sure you're exfoliating these areas regularly. It could be dead skin clogging up your pores.

If the suggestions you've received so far don't work, it might be an allergic reaction, in which case you should cut down the products you're using and get yourself to an allergist pronto.

kimmietrinh

Does coconut oiil/zinc work well if you stop using it? I have recently broke out and they have not gone away in months! My forehead is all bumpy again and there are small bumps and minor pimples everywhere on my face. I want to try these two out, but not sure if it will revert back if I decide to stop using them.

naturallyfab

Skincare for troublesome acne :(

Alright guys. I have had pretty bad acne since I was about 13. I get everything from blackheads, to cystic acne. I've tried everything at the drugstore, and Acne Free. I've even gone the other way around and just used a basic cleanser and moisturizer, thinking I had been putting too many chemicals on my face. Nothing has worked. If you guys have had similar problems, or know of something that works really well, could you please let me know? Thanks!

R21ORCHID

Do you see a dermatologist for your acne? Friends I have with similar skin types usually use makeup brands that are sold in these healthcare settings. I cannot name some off the top of my head. A doctor may also be able to tell you which ingredients to avoid in looking for a particular brand.

ThePowderPuff

You really should go see a dermatologist. Acne like that is not something you're supposed to deal with with cosmetical products. You need to see a doctor.

If you want to read something I think Paula Begoun's article on the subject is great: http://www.cosmeticscop.com/acne-and-acne-treatment.aspx

Nicala

I've had success with the Aspirin mask.

Do you wear face make up? That can contribute to your break outs. Try to switch shampoo/conditioner. Sometimes small things can cause the hell that acne gives. How long did you use the same skin care routine? Switching every week isn't going to help at all.

I had some good success trying Mario Badescu. But definitely go see a derm if possible.

Funtabulous

Yes you definitely need to see a dermatologist.

For a while there I was breaking out just as badly as you, and I had great success with a vitamin A cream (Retin-A micro to be precise). You can only get these creams from a dermatologist. They of course can offer much more help than that.

Good luck!