Alternatives to Nude?

pookus

I hope this is the right place to ask this. I need some recommendations for lipsticks that look appropriate with dark or smoky eyes that aren't nudes, beiges or too pale pinks. I look like I HORRIBLE in nude lippies or pale pale pinks - sort of like morning-after-a-drinking-binge-horrible if you get my drift. Lipstick or lipgloss recs would be much appreciated - me: NW20, prefer cooler shades, green/hazel eyes. TIA!

me_jelly

I'm NC35 and probably look even worse in pale pale colors (pinks/beiges/nudes) lol - I'm so picky with nude colors but I find the following works:
I hope that you don't mind some recs from brands other than MAC:

MAC:
Pinky-beige (but definitely not pale): hug me l/s

Viva glam V l/g - great with hug me and VERY versatile YLBB shade

Love nectar - great subtle peachy pink - definitely not pale, but just enough color to still be subtle with smokey looks

Underplay - I know this one is a warm peachy-caramel-nude, but give it a try - it has more pigment than freckletone (which unfortunately made me look like the living dead, despite being so pretty in the tube) - Love nectar looks fab on top of underplay, and it downplays the warmer caramel tones in underplay l/s

Dior:
Try any of the new dior addict ultra-nudes - they have just enough pigment, but are still very neutral/subtle

If you are looking for a very sheer wash of soft color (pink or beigey), browse thru the dior addict ultra shine line - they have the best glossy texture and look and are so comfortable to wear - they apply very sheer but you can build the color up no problem - therefore it's versatile (sheer coat with a hint of color for dramatic eyes, or build up the color for day time eyes)

Good luck!

thelilprincess

i agree about Hug Me - i never wear pink (bought one at the prescriptives counter after complementing the MA and mentioned that i could never pull off pink - she talked me into buying Innuendo, and it's sitting in my makeup bag - pretty pink, but horrendous on me)

but back to this topic, i tried Hug Me after so many people here raved about it - and you know, it actually looked good on me. it's a pinky beige but does not make your lips pale.

and i like Nymphette lipglass - it's my replacement for Softer which was a LE Holiday Set.

kashleigh80

I'm NW 20 w/ hazel eyes as well. And I feel you on the pale lips thing. Makes me look like a corpse! When I wear deep smokey shadows I like Bare Slimshine. It's just a tad warmer than what I normally wear. It's just enough to give my lips some color, but not outdo my eye make-up. I also like Subculture lipliner paired with a lipglass like Nymphette (pink w/ gold). I also like Phosporelle which was LE but any clear or frosty lipglass will look awesome! Good luck
smiles.gif

me_jelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashleigh80
I'm NW 20 w/ hazel eyes as well. And I feel you on the pale lips thing. Makes me look like a corpse! When I wear deep smokey shadows I like Bare Slimshine. It's just a tad warmer than what I normally wear. It's just enough to give my lips some color, but not outdo my eye make-up. I also like Subculture lipliner paired with a lipglass like Nymphette (pink w/ gold). I also like Phosporelle which was LE but any clear or frosty lipglass will look awesome! Good luck
smiles.gif

Thanks for reminding me about bare slimshine! It is indeed very pretty and I find it very similar to hug me - but perhaps not so pink and with more beigey tones (and not as long lasting since it's a gel-type sheer lippie)